Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Not easy but doable:

pistol_1.jpg

From now on all should go smoothly, time to restart... :D

From now on all should go smoothly, time to restart... :D

Yeah had to say bye bye to my Kuma MBT and my Lynx sniper rifles. Restarted! :cry2:

Just had a play and it's much better starting with just a handgun! Already taken out 5 guys! :D

Edited by Law-Giver

I think that if I tried that up-close handgun thing with bcombat, the enemy would just put a grenade in my back pocket! :D

I think that if I tried that up-close handgun thing with bcombat, the enemy would just put a grenade in my back pocket! :D

Yeah i just had that problem. I was stuck on a beach behind some rocks, they were above me lobbing grenades, boy were they close. It was a little creepy as i could hear them moving around. I waited for them to come around the rocks because they had the high ground, popped one and stole his weapon and finally took the other 3 out. Very cool!

Looks like i'll have to restart again as i notice some of the mods are broke due to update 1.40. TPW HUD appears on my screen even without carrying the tactical glasses, then it disappears again! Oh well! :(

Looks like i'll have to restart again as i notice some of the mods are broke due to update 1.40. TPW HUD appears on my screen even without carrying the tactical glasses, then it disappears again! Oh well! :(
Noticed the TPW HUD bug today actually as well but mine did not disappear it is stuck on screen permanently. Love the idea of the pistol, can't wait to start again.

Noticed the TPW HUD bug today actually as well but mine did not disappear it is stuck on screen permanently. Love the idea of the pistol, can't wait to start again.

I have just started a mission without mods, as I have had my last two attempts bugged by being unable to pick up ammo or reload weapons as the ammo just disappears when I do. It takes about 5 hours to manifest itself, so it is normally in the second session when it occurs. If it does not appear this time, then obviously a mod is to blame. I have had errors in my RPT log relating to TPW to do with nearest objects, so I will see.

I did forget that I had reduced the number of CIVS because of TPW, so I am now running round a sparsely populated map. I've had no-one to ask so far apart from a POW.

I have just started a mission without mods, as I have had my last two attempts bugged by being unable to pick up ammo or reload weapons as the ammo just disappears when I do. It takes about 5 hours to manifest itself, so it is normally in the second session when it occurs. If it does not appear this time, then obviously a mod is to blame. I have had errors in my RPT log relating to TPW to do with nearest objects, so I will see.

I did forget that I had reduced the number of CIVS because of TPW, so I am now running round a sparsely populated map. I've had no-one to ask so far apart from a POW.

Yeah since the latest update i've restarted without any mods running, at least until the mod makers get them updated. To be expected!

Must admit it's a little bare/empty without tpw running! ;)

Well, Pilgrimage is pretty mature now, I'm tending to think about it as about nearly complete, and close to decision, to announce it final/closed development stage, so not so willing to make serious/risky revolutions in existing rules on this stage. Idea must be really brilliant to convince me :). Small things or additions - that's another matter. I'll be much more open when time will come for next project based somehow on Pilgrimage experiences - as said, there I'll aim for making whole thing at least optionally more challenging all the time. And would like to do something pretty different, using only some mechanics from Pilgrimage. So far only plans.

I'll implement those pistols on very hard, and then release next beta for a try along with the rest of previous changes.

I agree, all the parts are in place and your mission is outstanding, no doubt. The absolute only thing that I ever wish I could do is gather a proper squad from the local population. Perhaps in the next project...?

Yeah i just had that problem. I was stuck on a beach behind some rocks, they were above me lobbing grenades, boy were they close. It was a little creepy as i could hear them moving around. I waited for them to come around the rocks because they had the high ground, popped one and stole his weapon and finally took the other 3 out. Very cool!

Wow! I have not gotten that lucky yet. I did one time get a guy to walk into a mine I had set (two actually) on right and left of a house I was behind. I fired a few rounds in their direction and one came too close and boom! The others wouldn't come the same way though. They flanked wide around and I killed one as the other killed me. I swear it's like chess sometimes.

Hey Ryd, about that Incognito thingy: would it be possible to utilize it so AI dosent instantly recognize an enemy? Instead there should be a second or two so AI has to "identify" if its the enemy it sees. Right now it looks like this: in vetnam jungle player sees: trees, grass, tall plants, something dark (an enemy leg). While AI sees this: obstacle, obstacle, obstacle, USMC Rifleman (identified immediately by looking at the lower leg only).

The AI should take time to identify something or someone by the enemy. On short ranges it should take a second or two, but the time should be longer depending on distance. Also how much of that something is visible to the AI should also impact the time it takes to identify something. It would just need to be some script or something that would put (preferably configurable) pauses for AI spotting. Ai spots something >PAUSE (is it something worth investigating) > AI decides to call out generic contact > PAUSE (AI checks what exactly it is plane, man, tank, car etc.) > AI calls out a bit more precise contact> PAUSE (AI identifies the side of what it sees). Note that if the object that AI sees hides during that AI shouldnt properly identify what it saw.

I remember when I was playing one of Arma 2 missions in multi and me and my squad set up on the hill overlooking an enemy camp. We called for reinforcements, but then we misidentified the APC that appeared as an enemy and dropped an arty strike on our reinforcements. AI would never made such mistake, but it should take time to identify what it sees.

As for hiding from the enemies: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15369

I would love to see this ported to Arma 3 along with automatic startup for any mission.

Edited by Taro8

That should be this way - agree. But it's not scriptable, sadly. Incognito is based on setCaptive. And if you set an unit as a captive, it affects reactions of all AIs at once. Can't be used selectively only for those, who not yet recognized unit as an enemy. So unit can be this way "recognized" by all or by none, no middle ground here.

Also even in such form it probably would be far too heavy - need to iterate through every unit every second.

Also no reliable way to control unit's knowledge factor on another unit. That would be proper way, but not doable in scripts. You can only speed up knowledge gain, but not prevent it nor reduce. Or you could limit spotting skills, but that's not enough and not reliable.

Such things have to be done on engine/vanilla AI level by BI devs.

Rydygier, another thing about the incognito feature: We are incognito after entering a vehicle. If the vehicle is a car - great. But I noticed that we are also incognito when we ride a quad with a weapon clearly visible on our back. Is this also beyond the scope of scripting? I am not complaining, by the way, as it has saved me in a critical situation!

I always like your precise explanations of the features. What exactly are the conditions for losing the incognito state? Pulling a gun blows the cover, that's obvious. But sometimes it seems as if helicopters detect me when I'm in a nice inconspicuous civilian lorry. Or am I making this up? Does playing too much Pilgrimage cause paranoia? ;)

There MAY be a way to check in the config, if vehicle covers the crew or not. I can recall something like that. if so, this may be used to distinguish such situations. I'll check, thanks. :)

What exactly are the conditions for losing the incognito state?

1. When too close. Note, this is "suspect" mode, like they know your face from "wanted" posters, so face recognition means exposure.

2. If weapon visible in hand or on the back (except quads :P).

3. If in the vehicle of origin hostile to observer (eg in the Strider visible for east unit).

4. If shooting (temporary, includes grenades and likely also satchel charges detonations), also if from armed "friendly" vehicle.

Of course there must be natively hostile observer, that will know about the unit enough, when unit is doing compromizing things.

inconspicuous civilian lorry

Note, one can't using scripts recognize, if vehicle actually LOOKS like civilian/hermless. It may look anyhow, what matters, it's it native side hardcoded in the config. So if the vehicle was in fact of some non-civilian side, or if you already was exposed for some reason, hiding inside is futile.

To "reset" "exposed" state you must "disappear from the hostile AI radars", means they need to loose knowledge about you, which may take some minutes out of their FOV.

Will make a playthrough soon. I am surprised you are still very busy with this mission, it is great. Now I just have to think very properly which mod I want to use. I use plenty and especially AGM needs further thinking about which subset I use of it. I also use ballistics, but not sure if needed because of Marksmen dlc soon... Plus I want to use my version 2 of my own mod, but its not yet mature... Mod related topics, you could write master thesis about it :D

To "reset" "exposed" state you must "disappear from the hostile AI radars", means they need to loose knowledge about you, which may take some minutes out of their FOV.

I find that I get exposed when an enemy vehicle has a clear line of sight to me, whether it has spotted me or not, and I return to incognito state as soon as the line of sight is broken. Sometimes the vehicle may be up to 2km away. I try not to rely too much on incognito status, as it can be revoked instantly. As you tend to opt for civilian vehicles when incognito, they provide very little protection when you come under fire.

I have cleared TPW mods of any direct involvement in my inventory bug, which didn't happen in vanilla, but did when I enabled what I considered were safe mods. It's too early in my latest runthrough to say, as I went to a chapel about 150m from the boat, which also contained a loot box. The loot was a UAV terminal for the Stomper, which for some reason had a WP about 12km away from it's starting position and 99m in the air. https://twitter.com/aky071/status/574047693191933952/photo/1

I have also had a radio message appear from beyond the grave. It was from the gunship pilot. He was called out when I approached the airfield in a T100, but he was the first to die before he got off the ground. Despite this he still gave an ETA and later a RTB message.

I find that I get exposed when an enemy vehicle has a clear line of sight to me, whether it has spotted me or not, and I return to incognito state as soon as the line of sight is broken. Sometimes the vehicle may be up to 2km away.

Well, code is clear here though. To be exposed you (any of your group members) have to each cycle:

1) do something compromising, which includes beeing exposed in the last cycle;

2) have "knownFor" factor > 0. It's basicaly amount of hostile to your native side groups, that have knowledge about you or your assigned vehicle > 1.

I have also had a radio message appear from beyond the grave. It was from the gunship pilot. He was called out when I approached the airfield in a T100, but he was the first to die before he got off the ground. Despite this he still gave an ETA and later a RTB message.

Thanks for reporting, I'll check that.

Whas the chopper destroyed but crew still alive, or crew dead and chopper destroyed? Could that be the second chopper?

Whas the chopper destroyed but crew still alive, or crew dead and chopper destroyed? Could that be the second chopper?

The chopper was destroyed and in flames. The pilot was killed. I thought it might have been the second chopper, but none turned up, and air patrols were shortened to long for this mission. I was attacking Almyra, and the other airfield was at Molos.

Tried to reproduce in clinical conditions (I in the tank at the airstrip aiming at the chopper till the air support call and rotor in move, then shot&kill), but nope. Waituntil loop for comm was exit properly due to killed crew, so there was no "we're inbound" comm. Not sure, what could cause that, atm see no room in the code for such misbehaviour. Added some small improvements by the way though.

I have a few sound files (ogg vorbis) from another mod, which has excellent and rather dark mood ambient sounds. What is the best (easiest, don't want to invest too much time) way to implant them into this mod? I read somewhere there is a music mod for ArmA... What I want is simply to play a random track, always followed by a random pause... Would be also nice if it could distinguish between day and night.

Tried to reproduce in clinical conditions (I in the tank at the airstrip aiming at the chopper till the air support call and rotor in move, then shot&kill), but nope. Waituntil loop for comm was exit properly due to killed crew, so there was no "we're inbound" comm. Not sure, what could cause that, atm see no room in the code for such misbehaviour. Added some small improvements by the way though.

Definitely had 2 helicopter pilots in the kill list at the end of the mission, so it remains a mystery. Was it the second chopper that went somewhere else?

I've had some more strange behaviour from a chopper this morning. I was incognito & not exposed near an airfield, and a vehicle was destroyed nearby in ambient combat. The chopper took off and just hovered stationary above the airfield without going anywhere. It did move after I fired at it, when it then killed me.

The chopper took off and just hovered stationary above the airfield without going anywhere. It did move after I fired at it, when it then killed me.

I know, that since 1.40 they made some changes to improve AI's awareness/reactions on near bullet impacts/flybys and explosions. May that was it? Nothing mine, I suppose.

What I want is simply to play a random track, always followed by a random pause... Would be also nice if it could distinguish between day and night.

For that you can put those oggs somehwere into mission folder, then config them in the description.ext same, as intro music already is, just add them next to it. After that such tracks may be called via script playMusic "trackclassname". Rest is about separately spawned loop with optional daytime check and track selection. Problem is, they may be played simultanously with Pilgrimage's tracks. To avoid that you probably need to mess with music eventhandlers, so at the end is not so simply. Or use Pilgrimage's internal variables to check, when track is not playing and to mark, when yours is playing. Pilgrimage uses such thing:

_track = ["trackclass",_durationInSeconds];
RYD_JR_isPlaying = true;

RYD_JR_mHandle = +_track spawn
			{
			0 fadeMusic 0;
			3 fadeMusic 0.4;

playMusic (_this select 0);

sleep (_this select 1);

RYD_JR_isPlaying = false;
			RYD_JR_LastPlay = time
			}

Apart from checking duration and sleeping that long there is also music eventhandler way to determine, when music starts or stops, but found it somehow not always reliable, eg at save&load cases, thus apart from that:

_ehID = addMusicEventHandler ["MusicStop", {terminate RYD_JR_mHandle;RYD_JR_isPlaying = false;RYD_JR_LastPlay = time}];

I'm using duration sleep.

But you also can made separate music addon with these tracks and if properly configured, will be smoothly injected and played by Pilgrimage's jukebox itself. Rather quick to do. No daytime recognition then though.

Edited by Rydygier

Thanks Ryd, I will try. It's music from a well known A3 Zombie mod and emphasizes the feeling of loneliness very well.

Thanks Ryd, I will try. It's music from a well known A3 Zombie mod and emphasizes the feeling of loneliness very well.

Had the fantastic idea :) of using Soundsense, but I need a fixed filename for logged events for it (rpt has an unknown file name). http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?189666-Don-t-we-have-a-quot-savefile-quot-command&p=2896332#post2896332

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

Ryd, this does not seem to be enough:

class CfgMusic
{
tracks[]={};

class Sareri
	{
	name = "SareriFull";
	sound[] = {"Snd\SareriFull.ogg", db+0, 1};
	};
class bp_val_1
{
	name = "";
	sound[] = {"Snd\trololololo.ogg", db+0, 1.0};
};
class bp_val_2
{
	name = "";
	sound[] = {"Snd\tralalalala.ogg", db+0, 1.0};
};
       [...]

Music is not playing. I think. Or I need to be more patient. Sound files are in Snd\- Is a name mandatory? I cannot see how music is parsed. I see the loop in MailLoop.sqf l. 2723 ff., but do not understand.

Edited by tortuosit

If you refer to second way - inject via addon new tracks, so Pilgrimage would play them, then indeeed, it's not enough. It's enough, if you want to script own solution only. In addon way (required for adding tracks to the Pilgrimage's own "playlist") you need all, I listed under linked earlier post in the addon's config.cpp. Ypu can use editor's config viewer to see, how are configured tracks in the CfgMusic.

Music, you put into mission folder and configured in description.ext may be played by separate script, as said, using playMusic, bu will be not used by Pilgrimage's jukebox. Jukebox code, I wrote, uses properly configured tracks from the game config only.

Thanks Ryd, I made it working now by altering your code in a dirty way, but it's working. Changed description.ext and you main loop where playMusic is. Best news is my computer is not crashing any more :)