Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Khugan and Law-Giver: thanks.

My issue was an old config file (probably from beta or something). I deleted that as it referenced modifications I no longer had installed (included what was probably an old CBA version). I've deleted that, started a new profile, etc, everything (so far) works.

Also thanks for telling me to move the userconfigs from Dynamic Weather and TPW MODS into the 'userconfig' folder in the Arma 3 directory. I would've never figured that one out.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

Uh.... WOW. I clearly had some conflicting mods before. I dropped into the mission and within five minutes was experiencing a full-blown warzone. Jets roaring in above on airstrikes against tanks, multiple enemy squads below, helicopters roaring about...

Khugan and Law-Giver: thanks.

My issue was an old config file (probably from beta or something). I deleted that as it referenced modifications I no longer had installed (included what was probably an old CBA version). I've deleted that, started a new profile, etc, everything (so far) works.

Also thanks for telling me to move the userconfigs from Dynamic Weather and TPW MODS into the 'userconfig' folder in the Arma 3 directory. I would've never figured that one out.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

Uh.... WOW. I clearly had some conflicting mods before. I dropped into the mission and within five minutes was experiencing a full-blown warzone. Jets roaring in above on airstrikes against tanks, multiple enemy squads below, helicopters roaring about...

That's excellent news mate, now you can join the Pilgrimage club!!!!! Enjoy! ;):D

If you have tpw_mods, disable skirmish! If you're unsure how to do it, i'll zip my userconfig for tpw_mods for you. ;)

Oh, is that why WW3 was breaking out around me? lol

Skirmish disabled.

Oh, is that why WW3 was breaking out around me? lol

Skirmish disabled.

Short answer.......Yes!!! :D

Disable it for Pilgrimage, but enable it for the editor for mucking about or spicing up a dull mission! ;)

Works a lot better now, guys. Thanks.

Tends to hang when I save and exit, however.

That's, I'm affraid, something you have to get used to. Various people, as I heard, experience that in various intensity and circumstancies. As for me, it isn't specific for Pilgrimage and happens at mission loading start or finish, at save&exit too. Someone reported this even mid-game. I really hope, they'll fix that, because this getting progresivelly annoying to me, seriously hindering any tests lately. The more, Pilgrimage, as complex/massive scenario, potentially may trigger this bug(s) more often, even like 40-50% of cases for me (lately testing mostly Pilgrimage).

Edited by Rydygier

Mine did this twice this morning, once when trying to load the savegame and again at the end of the debriefing when I clicked continue.

I failed in my quest to free the second captive. The option to repair the T100 appeared twice but didn't repair it, then the option disappeared. So I had to move on on a quadbike. There was no gunship at the second airfield, just a load of aggravation. Things looked up when I got to the second stronghold. I found an abandoned vehicle which turned out to be an FV Mora. I killed most of the defenders and when I rolled into the stronghold, there was a mass surrender. However I looked everywhere for the captive, but there was no trace of him, dead or alive. I can only assume that I must have killed or else he saw his chance and legged it.

When I got back to the T100 I was able to repair it in the end without any problem.

The save/load freeze isn't a deal-breaker, just unusual.

I've completed one mission (kill an HVT). I started well down at the southern tip of the eastern-most peninsula. Through the course of my adventures, I've ended up at the west coast with an Ifrit.

This mission is engrossing. Thanks again for making it, Rydygier. My wife dislikes you, however. :)

Best Regards to all wifes angry because of Pilgrimage. :)

Best Regards to all wifes angry because of Pilgrimage. :)

My missus is the opposite, if I'm in the other room out of her way, she's over the moon! :D

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

I don't seem to have this issue, save and exit all done in a few seconds! :D

The save thing comes and goes. I saved and quit last night just fine.

If I'm quitting the mission, I'm shutting down A3 anyway, so it's mostly a non-issue.

One of the weirdest deaths so far:

I was in Abdera, struggling with some OPFOR. They called both choppers, so I hid in the house to wait out the mess, especially, I was in range of two mortars. Choppers came and engaged some resistance at Galati. Shots, booms, noise - fun as always in such cases. Then I just died. WTF? Infarct? Only at death cam I understood what actually happened - it was a chopper that had emergency landing just behind the wall, where I was hidden. So technically I died squashed by the chopper's ass. :) Something like death by a meteor.

BTW found, so still even when east and resistance hostile to each other, apparently east can call resistance mortars and vice versa. Hopefully this is fixed for the next version. Also added better code to more reliable preventing "arty call>negative" spam - now FO can't call arty support, if this support was refused to him in the last two minutes.

Edited by Rydygier

BTW found, so still even when east and resistance hostile to each other, apparently east can call resistance mortars and vice versa.

They had spies in their ranks....lol! :)

Does anyone know if I add RHS to a current play through, will the items be added or will I just ruin my game?

I died just walking stairway the other day. It was right after a very satisfying victory over several chaps too...

FYI, to anyone curious about AGM compatibility, I've been playing with AGM: Core, Ballistics, Explosives, Grenades, Interaction, Map, Night-vision, Movement, Rag-doll, Recoil, and Top-down Attack pbos without any issues, at least that I have noticed.

I don't know frankly, how game reacts, when you're adding new addon to the resumed play, but I do now, it's futile for Pilgrimage adding in the middle of game RHS or any other mod adding custom stuff: all the stuff is taken from the config once, at init. Then code uses collected this way hardcoded arrays and does not perform any further config scans escept for magazines for rifles in some cases, but that changes nothing. So you'll not see new stuff in the loot boxes nor new vehicles nor hostiles, nor even in AC spawned groups.

From what I could see, the game has no trouble detecting config additions/changes after resuming a saved game; a looping script could probably update the list of assets to be used, but it would also bring other concerns/troubles (I'm not sure what would happen if you decide to remove an addon for instance).

Constant/looped rescanning of the config is not good IMO, mostly due to additional CPU cost, while its usefulness is very limited to those very sporadic cases, where user want to add some new mod in the middle of the gameplay. Also indeed, if there is already spawned some custom stuff in the saved game, and then player would try to remove mod introducing them == troubles. I think, it should stay, as is, just player has to think carefully before play, which addons he would like to use this time.

I think, it should stay, as is, just player has to think carefully before play, which addons he would like to use this time.

This is half the fun and replay-ability of this mission. How many times I have restarted the game with different mods installed, gives the whole experience new flavor to keep you playing. Definitely leave as is.

Started the game 15 times, finished 0 - I just love the first hours of this game so much when you have little and have to fight for your good stuff.

This is half the fun and replay-ability of this mission. How many times I have restarted the game with different mods installed, gives the whole experience new flavor to keep you playing. Definitely leave as is.

Started the game 15 times, finished 0 - I just love the first hours of this game so much when you have little and have to fight for your good stuff.

I have to agree, i've lost count how many times i've restarted this mission without ever completing it. Every release, even beta is a restart for me regardless how far in i am. I guess i'll complete it when it's final! Love it either way. ;)

I finished it. I'm on my second run through.

In my first ever bit of "coding" for ArmA, I figured out how to spawn characters in with custom loadouts using the Virtual Arsenal. I can see why coding is rewarding, because seeing Alex spawn with my custom loadout without problems (after many abortive attempts) was thrilling! (I'm essentially roleplaying Alex and his medic buddy as Spetsnaz soldiers trying to find his brother, who disappeared on a recon mission trying to find that special device after the island devolved into chaos... as such, they're decked out with Russian uniforms and AK-12s and such).

I have to agree, i've lost count how many times i've restarted this mission without ever completing it.

I wonder, for sake of the next hipotetical projects, if is possible to keep that feeling all the time, till the end, or its decay in abundance is inevitable.

As for removing things from the mission once its already loaded it, I can attest that it crashes the application entirely. I wanted to remove JSRS sound pack (as nice as the sounds were, the scripts bogged my CPU down), but it crashed repeatedly upon loading the save.

I wonder, for sake of the next hipotetical projects, if is possible to keep that feeling all the time, till the end, or its decay in abundance is inevitable.

Not quiet sure what you mean here, but for me it is the mod support and total randomization of achieving essentially the same end that makes me wanting to keep playing. It plays in stages for me, initially its having nothing, searching around endlessly until I have what I want and am happy with my loadout (could take 30mins or 2 hours). Then once I have my load out its all about the combat and finding those clues to find your brother. I don't even bother too much with this until I am fully kitted out. And this is about as far as I have got to be honest. I just keep restarting as I love the random loot drops and stuff trying to find the best gear I can.

Not quiet sure what you mean here, but for me it is the mod support and total randomization of achieving essentially the same end that makes me wanting to keep playing. It plays in stages for me, initially its having nothing, searching around endlessly until I have what I want and am happy with my loadout (could take 30mins or 2 hours). Then once I have my load out its all about the combat and finding those clues to find your brother. I don't even bother too much with this until I am fully kitted out. And this is about as far as I have got to be honest. I just keep restarting as I love the random loot drops and stuff trying to find the best gear I can.

Again, i'm in agreement with -lordsoth. I'm playing this in the same way, it makes the game last much longer in my opinion. Otherwise i could do it in a much shorter time just focusing on finding the brother. Plus i play it on hard with very limited markers, no dead body markers, circle intel only warlords for me, for example. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

I think you can, because the gameplay is randomised in so many ways. I'm certainly not bored of it, and it's probably my most played mission on ArmA3. ;)