Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

A bit of feedback regarding the latest 1.85c version. I have just finished a mission during which I killed my first civilian in battle. It was all a bit unfortunate really, because I had been messing about with mods and started without TPW Mods active so had no cars to use with incognito. I could have restarted, but the mission started at 3am and there was a light show from the airfield in NW Altis where some serious ambient combat was taking place. I counted 25 body markers before the gravedigger script started removing them and it looked like a T100 tank had been disabled which I took a fancy to. As I had also found a hideout, all I needed was a vehicle and some AT/AA capability.

Without TPW I spent a long time on foot without going very far and found a stronghold on the other side of Abdera. I still had no AT or a vehicle so made my way into Syrta, where I found a Marid just sitting there without the engine running that looked like it had been abandoned. I played safe and took out the front wheels with an LMG but got no reaction from it. Assuming it was empty after all, I exposed myself only for the turret to turn and the engine start up. After a few GMG rounds hit me, I reloaded the mission, I repeated the process and thought I saw the crew dismount. As I stuck my head up to take a few shots at the crew, I realised that a whole infantry squad had piled out the back. At close range and with MG bullets ripping through the walls I was no match for that firepower. Resuming the mission again, I saw the infantry squad and crew were bunched up at the back of the Marid. I used my one grenade to take out the crew and half the squad, as well as a passing civilian. After despatching the rest of the squad and a Strider GMG that came along afterwards, the Marid was finally mine.

After killing the civilian, my reputation was in shreds and I received no requests for assassination missions and very little useful intel other than to head east. I used the Marid and the AT I gained to take the airfield, get the tank and then take the stronghold and free the captive. With four pieces of circle intel I then knew where I was looking and didn't consult any locals after that. If I had, perhaps my reputation might have recovered and I might have been given some side missions. As it was I found the body in Frini and took it back to the boat. The other airfield and stronghold were at Selakano in SE Altis and I didn't fancy going all the way down there just for the sake of a challenge.

:)

Seems, so since 1.26 Bigger Trunks addon is no longer working for part of the vehicles - BIS added own values of maximumLoad. Much lower, than BT's, but vanilla trunks are bigger than before too. To make BT working again need to be found and listed in config.cpp all required addons to overwrite them with BT's config. Sooner or later I'll try.

:)

Seems, so since 1.26 Bigger Trunks addon is no longer working for part of the vehicles - BIS added own values of maximumLoad. Much lower, than BT's, but vanilla trunks are bigger than before too. To make BT working again need to be found and listed in config.cpp all required addons to overwrite them with BT's config. Sooner or later I'll try.

There are also some entries in the changelog in relation to hacking and controlling UAVs. I don't know if they will interfere with your code regarding the Stomper, but includes a couple of bug fixes in relation to setcaptive status.

Ability to steal UAVs by UAV Operators added (parameter uavHacker configured)

Fixed: UAV cannot be connected after setCaptive true

Fixed: UAV can not be hacked if setCaptive is true

​Now, if only finding a terminal wasn't such a rare event

Not sure, how/where/when it works, but most probably it will not interfere with Pilgrimage's scripted hacking, at most gives another possibility, but seems, it's only for UAV operators.

Bigger Trunks addon updated - now should be 1.26 compatibile and cover all intended vehicles again, hopefully.

BTW it's me or some GUI elements eg new unit window in editor have fonts somehow blurred a bit? Kind of this eye-tiring "wrong glasses" effect. I know, sharpen filter was separated in graphic options, managed to restore roughly nice loooking settings, but this text seems separate issue. Probably only my imagination...

Edited by Rydygier

BTW it's me or some GUI elements eg new unit window in editor have fonts somehow blurred a bit? Kind of this eye-tiring "wrong glasses" effect. I know, sharpen filter was separated in graphic options, managed to restore roughly nice loooking settings, but this text seems separate issue. Probably only my imagination...

It was stated as a known issue when it came out on Dev Branch. Might be worth giving it a try.

Known Issue: the new 'Sharpen' PP effect may need to be enabled and disabled to prevent setting conflicts (resulting in the game looking blurry)

"Dev branch" updated to 1.86c beta1.

One change only: after all added possibility to move the body from one vehicle to another. New vehicle must be player's current and close enough to the vehicle containg the body. Player must be very close to the new vehicle to see the action.

I have just completed another mission using the incognito mod and TPW mods. I love the incognito mod, it feels very realistic as to how you can move around the island and carry out recces on targets and then decide whether to engage or withdraw and come back later. I'm not sure what makes the enemy engage, but I have been shot from a distance, whilst I have also been able to walk up behind an enemy, then take out my gun and shoot him. When I found the body, an Ifrit GMG took out the Stomper for me. It certainly makes life interesting.

I made a point this time of releasing the captives from both strongholds as well as keeping my companion alive. Having a fireteam makes a big difference when engaging the enemy. The released captives are born killers when it comes to an ambush. But there is a bit of a question over their loyalty. When I got back to the boat with the body, I tried to get everyone in the boat for a group picture as the mission completes, only for the two hired guns to run off and disappear.

I keep telling myself that I have played enough Pilgrimage and that I will try something else, but I keep coming back to it. I love the random circumstances that you find yourself in. It's like being dealt a hand of cards and that is what you have to play with, like taking on a stronghold with no AT when you only went for a quick recce to see what was needed. Luckily I had left my companion with a mortar that I had captured. I got him to get on the mortar and then called in rounds on the armour and managed to disable it. That sorted out our ride out of there with our newly released mercenary companion. Time for some Hetman War Stories now. I have high expectations.

two hired guns to run off and disappear

Nothing I planned. These should act like any usual AI team member.

I'm not sure what makes the enemy engage

1. Some enemy must know about you OR about your assigned vehicle enough;

2. You must have visible weapon (launchers on the back counts too) OR be inside vehicle of origin side hostile to the observer's side OR fire a mounted weapon OR be recogized anyway. Recognition risk depends on:

- difficulty setting;

- distance;

- daytime;

- if in vehicle (harder to recognize if in the vehicle);

- speed of movement if on foot (faster means more suspicious);

- stance (crouch and the more prone is suspicious, but from the other hand, it may prevent detection, thus meeting condition 1);

- if observer is directed toward you (if not - can't spot you);

- if observer has not obstructed LOS to watch you.

If you were exposed, to change that, all observers must lost knowledge about you AND about your assigned vehicle, what happens in time, if you're not on sight, preferably far enough.

So it uses vanilla knowledge factor and adds new factors as well.

When playing with that and AI companion noted sometimes unexplained short periods of "exposure risk" eg when we both were riding a civilian car (thus should be safe). That's the only known issue currently.

Time for some Hetman War Stories now. I have high expectations.

High expectations mean risk of disappointment. :) It's quite early stage of HWS, although for now not many new ideas. Just do not expect nothing in kind of Pilgrimage. It's quite different thing.

Nothing I planned. These should act like any usual AI team member.

I think it was just the BIS thing where AI have run round in a 100m circle before they can get in a vehicle. Because I was on the beach at the bottom of some cliffs, this meant they ran up the hill away from the beach. Then the other BIS thing where the AI can't work out the route to take to get back, meant they probably ended up farther away. BIS have released some improvements to AI pathfinding on the Dev Branch today. Let's hope it helps

When playing with that and AI companion noted sometimes unexplained short periods of "exposure risk" eg when we both were riding a civilian car (thus should be safe). That's the only known issue currently.

I experienced that a lot in vehicles and learned to ignore it, but it was worrying at first.

High expectations mean risk of disappointment. :) It's quite early stage of HWS, although for now not many new ideas. Just do not expect nothing in kind of Pilgrimage. It's quite different thing.

I realise that in Pilgrimage, the player is central to everything that occurs, including AC. In HWS, the player is just a small cog in a big machine. I have tried my first HWS and it was over quicker than you can loot your first group of dead bodies in Pilgrimage. A successful mission although I never fired a shot. My AI team leader thought it was a good idea to sit in a Hunter in the middle of a battlefield while he worked out his route. An enemy Marid came over the hill and ripped into us with his machine gun. I was the only survivor, but I was impressed that the Hunter didn't actually explode like it would have done before. I liked the full scale battle going on all around. Next time I might get to shoot at an enemy.

My AI team leader thought it was a good idea to sit in a Hunter in the middle of a battlefield

Yeah. Sadly HWS by its nature is much more sensitive on vanilla AI "bright ideas", so eg all these issues with AI driving vehicles or weird TL's orders spoils severely the gameplay. Each time I see AI vehicle ramming to death own infantry on the road, I restart, as I can't stand it, too annoying. Hetman can do many smart things as addition, but can't fix vanilla AI flaws. In previous versions Hetman tried to make troops disembark in such situations, but this often resulted with looped "getin-getout battle" between him and vanilla AI. Good thing, they still are improving AI.

Edited by Rydygier

Hello,

first let me congratulate you on this superb piece of mission. It really is a blast each time I play it. I admit that I didn't read through all the pages, so forgive me if my suggestions sound dumb or have been rejected already.

1.) Neutral zones, e.g. small cities where no fighting takes place and you're safe to relax.

2.) Arms and equipment dealers in these zones

(I know that it now sounds like 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Altis') but I realy think that on such an island there would be some kind of underground arms dealing network. Of course prices would be very high, or you might even have to do some quests to get "high class" rifles or launchers. I admit of course that creating a logical price structure would be very hard. Like making sure that an (assuming you play with RH_M4 mod) M16A1 doesn't cost more or the same as a MX rifle...

3.) implementation of a basic food and thirst system? <- these items could also be purchased at the traders.

But even if nothing of these suggestions makes it into the mission, it is one of, if not my favourite mission in A3. Thanks again :)

Thanks for feedback.

1.) Neutral zones, e.g. small cities where no fighting takes place and you're safe to relax.

That would be any areas FAR from the cities, as both, regular hostile presence and Ambient Combat tend to concentrate around important areas (like towns) and roads which, BTW makes hard to explain exisitence some not affected towns just "because". So, for resting and safe place, obtain a hideout and locate it far from civilization (hidden camp may be after establishing it as hideout packed into vehicle and moved, but such camps already tend to be located in wilderness). Or just avoid settlements and marked areas.

Also in limited AC mode, where amount of groups to spawn per area is limited, you can permanently clear any area, but that's tedious and time consuming.

2.) Arms and equipment dealers in these zones

It was discussed indeed. IMO it's overcomplication (not trivial to implement, while quite enough such stuff is lying around, what, additionally, makes existence of dealers not very logical), that additionally disrupts desired balance of gameplay, where important factor is process of independent securing needed equipment. Let's consider ammumition - if it would be buy-able for low price, big part of challenge, value of found proper ammunition, is gone. And if price would be high - we have low usefulness, better to find yourself. I'm not saying, it would make mission worse (could be even nice touch, when bounded with reputation, although before reputation grow high, player usually is armed very well), but pros IMO are to few, secondary and small to make it worthy of required effort. Believeable prices, you mentioned, together with stuff from custom addons, make that effort even bigger.

or you might even have to do some quests to get "high class" rifles or launchers.

Well, you can give such quest to yourself, by choosing to clear the stronghold or another well guarded, military areas. In fact there is some "easter egg" present in 10% of gameplays - kind of treasure hunt.

3.) implementation of a basic food and thirst system? <- these items could also be purchased at the traders.

Discussed too. Not fits to the gameplay. It rarely takes more than one day of gameplay to complete the mission. May be safely assumed, so Alex has own reserve for long enough. The more - all these cities have by assumption access to tap water, food also shouldn't be hard enough to find to make it a noticeable factor - after all people do living there, that means, all needed for survival is there too in plenty. It's not any post-apo world. Only post/in-war. Plus, it's again not trivial task to introduce all these food/water/survival objects into the game while Pilgrimage by assumption is working without any separate addons. And - all such objects scattered in enough number will hit performance, while mission is heavy enough for CPU due to > 1000 AIs.

Edited by Rydygier

When I got back to the boat with the body, I tried to get everyone in the boat for a group picture as the mission completes, only for the two hired guns to run off and disappear.
The boat used will only accommodate three people, so there was no way that I could get all four of us into the boat.

Congrats! I really should give this one a proper go. I've started one or two pilgrimages but never got very far, mostly due to time limitations. But when this contest is over I'll finally start a new one - third time is the charme. ;)

Thanks, guys. :) It was really great surprise this Sunday morning.

I'm playing on hard, but I can still see my own marker on the map. How to fix?

Go to the menu. Then: CONFIGURE > GAME OPTIONS > DIFFICULTY. Then set "Extended map info" to "Disabled".

Very very well done Rydygier- this absolutely deserved to get Mod Of The Week mate and all the exposure that goes with it.

Pilgrimage is indeed one of the best mods I've played.

It's fantastic to see hard work and effort rewarded like this.

Congratulations sir..! :)

......Mod of the year !

I have six hideouts and every crate is stuffed full of weapons and ammo!

For me important is also, why it was chosen - apparently because of many people demanding that. :)