Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Could be a legit game bug then ... it's a vehicle that was spawned at the start of the game, not related to AC or a mo

A blue name vehicle, like those that spawn through the ADM?

If this was regular empty vehicle with blue 3D marker, then no idea frankly.

Mission upgraded to 1.79c. Changelog:

- better performance at init (reduced initial lags);

- redone and expanded diary;

- camping lamps replaced with gas cookers;

- realistic loot distribution and better gear options for the "Hardcore" setting, which is renamed to "Difficulty" (see in-game "Pilgrimage Guide" for details);

- changed color of circle Intel for better visible on map;

- added to the supports (0-8) periodic autosave (every 20 minutes) switch (disabled initially);

- various tweaks and changes.

I've just finished a mission with 1.78 + larger inventory + African conflict. I had no problems. At one point I thought I hit the "nothing is updating" bug, but after about 5 minutes by the church, I waited a little, I went to a nearby house to see if I'll get the loot icon (I didn't), came back, jumped onto the strider to go check another church, and as I was starting to drive I got the update. And it was a green cross.It never took that much time before. Maybe it's my truck parked nearby with tons of items in it that made it take that much time? But the previous red crosses took at most 15-20 secs to appear.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

How are these blue named vehicles spawned btw? At the beginning and they get a blue name after I have paid for them? I've just found at the start of 1.79c an Offroad(Armed) in the middle of a field, 0% damage, empty trunk, and no blue name. If it was part of a patrol, I did not find any trace of combat nearby, no bodies or traces of explosions. And patrol trucks usually have something in them, unless it's removed at 10% loot. I don't want to fill it up with loot and have it disappear on me.

And it was a green cross.It never took that much time before.

If it was green, then it appears only, if you are closer, than 50 meters from the body with clear LOS. So how long it takes, denepnds on, how fast these conditions are met.

How are these blue named vehicles spawned btw? At the beginning and they get a blue name after I have paid for them?

At the beginning, not touched apart from that except caching by hiding (seems, vanilla game also caches by hiding distant vehicles BTW, saw that sometimes in editor's preview after map teleport, but maybe it isn't caching. Doesn't matter). But caching code is not changed long time now, and there wasn't such problems with it. Blue mark appears, when Alex know enough about that vehicle and it is in appriopriate distance. You are buying only map marker. Blue marker may not appear, if you get very close to the vehicle before Alex' knowledge factor about it arises enough. it may happen especially at early stage, as at the beginning spotting skills of units still seems to be in the night mode. To test it change vehicle (even for the boat, if nothing else in range) and go about 100 meters from this offroad. Mark should appear again if this is common empty vehicle, and I think, it is.

Even AC vehicle will not disappear and may be safely used, as long is your assigned vehicle or closer, than 2500 meters from you.

A question: did you, or anybody, noticed any difference regarding to initial lag in 1.79c? I want to compare impressions.

Edited by Rydygier

If it was green, then it appears only, if you are closer, than 50 meters from the body with clear LOS. So how long it takes, denepnds on, how fast these conditions are met.

My car was parked right along the wall of the church, I went in, stayed a bit inside, and it took a few minutes before the green cross appeared. Probably a temporary glitch.

A question: did you, or anybody, noticed any difference regarding to initial lag in 1.79c? I want to compare impressions.

The initial time between the Settings screen is the same, about 50 secs. The "Pilgrimage" logo on a black background is shorter than before, it used to be around 20 secs and is now like 5-10 (you probably reduced the sleep time ;) ). The lag on the beach is way shorter now, was around 20-30 seconds before, it is more like 10 seconds now. Good job here.

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

To test it change vehicle (even for the boat, if nothing else in range) and go about 100 meters from this offroad. Mark should appear again if this is common empty vehicle, and I think, it is.

I did that, came back, and the vehicle had a blue name this time.

Regarding the loot distribution, I agree it's realistic to have no military gear in civilian houses (after all this is not the USA^^). BUT there should be enough empty crates around everywhere so the player can use them to sell stuff. In reality he would just put some rifles in a corner to hide them and just sell coordinates, but in Arma to get the scripts working you obviously need a container, just putting stuff on the ground doesn't work. So you should put a container in every house or at least in most of them. Best would be if you put in really small amounts of civ hats, first aid kits, chem lights, binoculars and similar small stuff, then the player could sell just those to get a minimal amount of money if he's in dire straits (e.g. so he can sell some twenty crates to get his vehicle repaired).

My heart is bleeding when I'm thinking about adding empty box every/in most of houses only to give to the player possibility to sell stuff. Huge, or not so huge, depending on approach, but anyway - wasting of performance. I think, current solution is way better - each container, where you can find the loot, except vehicles, also in "realistic" mode has an action to sell it directly. If you wish, you can pretend, so under this single click of "sell" action are hidden any steps or actions you consider reasonable to make it happen.

Edited by Rydygier

With a few hours of experience with Realistic Loot and 10%/10% loot, I definitely need an option to sell from the white boxes inside the checkpoints. And also, military bases should have a big white permanent sell box, not just a regular loot box that disappears after one sale. I have started in the SE peninsula, have a few things to sell, but for the life of me cannot find a hidden camp, and I don't have enough money to repair my red hull.

Realistic + 10%/10% rocks, a very nice change of pace. About 3 hours in, I have only looted one RPG rocket so far, have about 12 kills, and my best scope is a red dot. Talk about a complete change of tactics. In a regular game I would have taken at least one stronghold or airfield by now. I am not sure how I am going to get my green circles now. I suppose I'll have to circle around the important places and grind NPCs for weapons in pure mmorpg style :).

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

My heart is bleeding when I'm thinking about adding empty box every/in most of houses only to give to the player possibility to sell stuff. Huge, or not so huge, depending on approach, but anyway - wasting of performance. I think, current solution is way better - each container, where you can find the loot, except vehicles, also in "realistic" mode has an action to sell it directly. If you wish, you can pretend, so under this single click of "sell" action are hidden any steps or actions you consider reasonable to make it happen.

Not in every house maybe, but Brainbug's idea is sound. In realistic mode houses should not give weapons or ammo, but maybe it is feasible without too much work to spawn the same amount of loot boxes as in normal mode, but only containing what people could find in a European house, like medpacks, hats, etc., e.g. placeholders for the sell boxes that we have in normal mode.

I had a big improvement in 1.79c!

Not only in the inicial time but even with a long time of gameplay!

Usualy I have to start the mission, await a few minutes, save-exit the mission and finaly load to have a good gameplay for about 1 hour.

and then repeat the process.

Now I can start and play immediately and play for hours and hours with no trouble!

Congratulations and many thanks!

I have a sugestion if you allow me to:

Since we dont have much loot on the cities with the Realistic option, maybe you can create some Fortificaton zones inside the cities with enemys inside the buildings along with some loot boxes with random items.

Otherwise, we are limited to use only the weapons that we find with the enemies (usualy BIS CSAT or AAF) and miss the oportunity of be using a weapon made by the community until we reach a military area of the map to have this loot boxes.

Thats it!

I love your mission and your work on it!

You have my vote and support on the MANW contest!

I had an issue in 1.78 where I hitch hiked, but my AI buddy didn't come with me -- he got left 2km away. I think he was within 50m of me when I clicked on the hitch hiking menu.

Upgraded dev branch to 1.8c beta:

- fixed: AI companion does not fast travel to he hideout with player if baot is assigned vehicle;

- small fixes in hitchhiking code.

I definitely need an option to sell from the white boxes inside the checkpoints.

And you don't have it? Because it is provided in 1.79c.

And also, military bases should have a big white permanent sell box, not just a regular loot box that disappears after one sale. I have started in the SE peninsula, have a few things to sell, but for the life of me cannot find a hidden camp, and I don't have enough money to repair my red hull.

You can add whatever you want also to the ordinary loot boxes and sell it this way. I think, you not always should get right away, what you need in the gameplay especially, if he deliberately chooses special, harder game mode, as "rwalistic loot distribution". It is part of this feature, making also selling, not only finding, more challenging. So you had a bit harder life in game, damaged vehicle, low ff and no opportunity to sell anything for some time. It is so bad thing really? Take it as a challenge, something, to rethink and solve, not to complain. I don't like an idea to add permanent box to every military area just to allow player to sell his stuff easier. Sounds odd. Plus, I can't easily detect by code every miliary base. I can only recognize military buildings one by one.

It is also about planning. Good planning should be rewarded, while poor planning punishes player by definition. Next time just keep in mind to leave some loot boxes not disappeared, knowing, there aren't common utility in realistic mode, just in case you'll need it in the future. You can move loot from one box to another and this way sell whole loot from the area in the single box leaving rest of the boxes ready for further use. Or clear checkpoint andu se checkpoint's permanent box to sell. Hideouts indeed may be not present in some parts of the island.

but maybe it is feasible without too much work to spawn the same amount of loot boxes as in normal mode, but only containing what people could find in a European house, like medpacks, hats, etc., e.g. placeholders for the sell boxes that we have in normal mode.

But question stays: what for waste precious CPU power (each box is an physX object) just to leave everywhere some useless civilian junk? I don't get it. For regular loot - it is acceptable. For only stuff like hats or only for selling opportunity - no. If you want to have place to sell stuff every town, play normal mode. You are playing realistic - deal with consequences.

I could add an option to sell the loot from the current player's vehicle, but this is risky. Imagine player accidentally using wrong action on his trunk, while last save was several hours ago and trunk is full of treasures (and that's why it isn't this way currently). But I can reconsider this and add such action for realistic mode only, still not like this to much due to this risk. Anyway, much cheaper for CPU and you have, what you want - place to sell stuff wherever you are, if only you have any vehicle, including boat.

Realistic + 10%/10% rocks, a very nice change of pace. About 3 hours in, I have only looted one RPG rocket so far, have about 12 kills, and my best scope is a red dot. Talk about a complete change of tactics. In a regular game I would have taken at least one stronghold or airfield by now. I am not sure how I am going to get my green circles now. I suppose I'll have to circle around the important places and grind NPCs for weapons in pure mmorpg style

Good. :)

I had a big improvement in 1.79c!

Not only in the inicial time but even with a long time of gameplay!

Usualy I have to start the mission, await a few minutes, save-exit the mission and finaly load to have a good gameplay for about 1 hour.

and then repeat the process.

Now I can start and play immediately and play for hours and hours with no trouble!

Congratulations and many thanks!

Hey, that's great to hear! And thanks a lot for votng. :)

Otherwise, we are limited to use only the weapons that we find with the enemies (usualy BIS CSAT or AAF) and miss the oportunity of be using a weapon made by the community until we reach a military area of the map to have this loot boxes.

Yes, and that's the point of realistic mode. If you play it, but do not want it's features, but instead you want loot back in the towns, just in a bit different way located, then I'm lost a bit... Play normal mode and you get it mostly, as in many cities building may be garrisioned. Adding artificial guarded zones in the cities will not pass for few reasons including lack of place for more groups needed to man such zones. I don't see, how this may reasonably look and work anyway. Lots of new object would be needed too just to make such zones distinctive in any way - bad for performance, complicated to spawn such places in the cities via script. That's why there are real military areas stuffed with good loot in "realistic" mode. Go there.

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

I had an issue in 1.78 where I hitch hiked, but my AI buddy didn't come with me -- he got left 2km away. I think he was within 50m of me when I clicked on the hitch hiking menu.

Yes, I found a reason, check newest beta or just find some non-boat vehicle and use it.

if the many boxes are a performance issue (which I can completely understand and do not wish to happen either), then why don't you just implement a small script that allows the player to spawn an empty crate at his location via a support menu item (i.e. 0-8-*). That would be a sufficient workaround for the need for a adressable container and give the player a non-tedious way to make money from his loot.

Rydygier could you take one more look at what the differences are between 1.74 (which works fine on my system) and the latter versions which all give me any empty map. I tried everything on my end.

BTY I am having great fun finding new ways to die in 1.74.

Edited by kurtz1

Yes, I found a reason, check newest beta or just find some non-boat vehicle and use it.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'd used two different blue-marked vehicles: a Scorcher and a HEMTT.

And you don't have it? Because it is provided in 1.79c.

No, in 1.79c I don't have the "Sell content" option at the large white loot boxes at the checkpoints, the ones that look like the large white boxes where we can store items but not sell at the hideouts. And there are no more containers I can interact with there. I put a smoke grenade inside for the picture:

aaa.jpg

You can add whatever you want also to the ordinary loot boxes and sell it this way. I think, you not always should get right away, what you need in the gameplay especially, if he deliberately chooses special, harder game mode, as "rwalistic loot distribution". It is part of this feature, making also selling, not only finding, more challenging. So you had a bit harder life in game, damaged vehicle, low ff and no opportunity to sell anything for some time. It is so bad thing really? Take it as a challenge, something, to rethink and solve, not to complain.

Thanks for the life lesson. Now here is the reality: it is 07:15, I have scouted half the SE peninsula (besides the airfield, I have nothing to use againt 2x Tigris and multiple groups of 7+ infantry, yet), and have only found ONE regular loot/sell box. And it was during the first 15 minutes, so it's now gone. Either change these lootboxes to not disappear after a sale, or give us more options to sell. And then when I could not sell at a checkpoint, then went through 2 more military bases and didn't find a loot box, I came here to complain that we don't have enough options to sell.

Choosing realistic loot distribution with 10% lootboxes means I have chosen a difficult path to *acquire* loot, not a near impossibility to sell it. These are totally different game aspects. One creates fun fights or fun attempts at avoiding them. The other is micromanagement hell.

I don't like an idea to add permanent box to every military area just to allow player to sell his stuff easier. Sounds odd. Plus, I can't easily detect by code every miliary base. I can only recognize military buildings one by one.

The loot box I have found so far was at an empty military base at 200068 west of Selakano. So you have aready identified where the at least some of the bases are. So the idea is to spawn one permanent sell box in those bases that you have already identified instead of a 10% chance of a one-use sell box.

And for it sounding "odd", let's be rational here. We live in a word where magic technology allows me to pay for some nanobots to be beamed from orbit onto my car in order to fix it within seconds. Where I can broadcast some coords over the radio where people can buy some loot in a war torn country, and I'd be paid in advance. All this to make gameplay smoother and I have no problem with that. We are using one-use loot boxes to identify these coords where people can buy our stuff. In light of this I don't find it odd at all that we may have some permanent sell boxes like Brainbug suggested ("In reality he would just put some rifles in a corner to hide them and just sell coordinates"), makes sense to me. It makes even more sense than to give people the coordinates of my hideout so they can pick up their purchases ;).

It is also about planning. Good planning should be rewarded, while poor planning punishes player by definition. Next time just keep in mind to leave some loot boxes not disappeared, knowing, there aren't common utility in realistic mode, just in case you'll need it in the future. You can move loot from one box to another and this way sell whole loot from the area in the single box leaving rest of the boxes ready for further use. Or clear checkpoint andu se checkpoint's permanent box to sell.

As said above, there is not much planning to be done when you find only one temporary loot box in two hours, and there are none at checkpoints, and there are no hideouts in the peninsula. A certainly not much planning to be done when you don't even know at the start what the selling options are. BTW, I don't know why, but my understanding at the beginning was that with Realistic Loot, I'd have a permanent military loot/sell box at military bases, like the green ones we get in other missions, where I would find 10%-100% of intended loot. Not that I would find a 10% chance of spawning a one-use loot/sell box with 0 lootboxes in towns.

But question stays: what for waste precious CPU power (each box is an physX object) just to leave everywhere some useless civilian junk? I don't get it. For regular loot - it is acceptable.

Shouldn't it be the same CPU usage as normal mode with its tons of lootboxes everywhere? The idea was to not spawn any military grade loot in them in Realistic mode. If it doesn't require too much work of course.

I could add an option to sell the loot from the current player's vehicle, but this is risky. Imagine player accidentally using wrong action on his trunk, while last save was several hours ago and trunk is full of treasures (and that's why it isn't this way currently).

I agree this would be too dangerous, with the menus changing dynamically when you are scrolling through them and possible misclicks in an emergency situation.

So, to sum things up:

- cannot sell loot from checkpoints

- choosing a harder way to acquire loot doesn't mean one wants a harder way to sell it

- Ideas on how to add more selling options to Realistic Loot Mode

* Option 1: add permanent sell boxes to identified military installations (the option I would vote for)

* Option 2: use the the one-use loot/sell boxes from normal mode but change them so they don't spawn with military loot (Brainbug's idea)

if the many boxes are a performance issue (which I can completely understand and do not wish to happen either), then why don't you just implement a small script that allows the player to spawn an empty crate at his location via a support menu item (i.e. 0-8-*). That would be a sufficient workaround for the need for a adressable container and give the player a non-tedious way to make money from his loot.

Hmm. This may be a solution. Yes, I could that, at least for realistic mode, as the only problem, I see with this, is increased amount of custom actions. But I would like to add limitation - there must exist at a time at most one such box, to avoid potential problem of unlimited boxes spawning by some less sane players. :)

Rydygier could you take one more look at what the differences are between 1.74 (which works fine on my system) and the latter versions which all give me any empty map. I tried everything on my end.

BTY I am having great fun finding new ways to die in 1.74.

It was encounterd already. Key question is, what is your Arma 3 version. 1.75 and further versions, due to used scripting commands introduced in 1.16 need at least A3 1.16. Your game should be updated automatically, unless you switched auto-updates off.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'd used two different blue-marked vehicles: a Scorcher and a HEMTT.

You mean you was in the one vehicle, and your companion in another? Such configuration still should be handled in the newest beta fine, but I still must check, so companion will be moved after you with his current vehicle, not leaving it.

No, in 1.79c I don't have the "Sell content" option at the large white loot boxes at the checkpoints, the ones that look like the large white boxes where we can store items but not sell at the hideouts. And there are no more containers I can interact with there. I put a smoke grenade inside for the picture:

It is beta? In 1.79c beta there wasn't this, but for 1.79c it is there for sure, always visible, checked that several times. Each checkpoint is generated by the same code, and in this code white box gets selling action. It would be most odd, if you haven't selling content at checkpoint white boxes in 1.79c. Do not know, what to think about that.

Choosing realistic loot distribution with 10% lootboxes means I have chosen a difficult path to *acquire* loot, not a near impossibility to sell it. These are totally different game aspects.

And logically both aspects are strictly bounded within mission mechanics, so this means, you have chosen, what you got :) . But above appeared acceptable solution of this issue. With spawning temporary box (simplified solution to emulate player finding near suitable container, as I agree, there obviously shouln't be a problem to find damn box anywhere).

So you have aready identified where the at least some of the bases are.

Again, I can find military bases marked on map as location. Only these. As for rest - code is searching for single buildings of given kind. But see above.

And for it sounding "odd", let's be rational here.

Per "odd" I mean something in kind off "clunky" or "silly". Damn, my English isn't good enough here to express exactly, what I mean. Well, good, there is nice idea to solve it. It is usual, when I'm thinking about something at midnight, I can see mostly problems. Solutions are appearing mostly at the morning. :)

("In reality he would just put some rifles in a corner to hide them and just sell coordinates"), makes sense to me.

Yes, but what makes my laugh here is this concept of equipping each base with kind of: "Behold! Here is a Totem of Hiding Stuff In the Corners. Sacrifice your loot at this holy altar and be rewarded by selling your junk online", not some box present there reasonably anyway, only by the way used for selling, but an artifact dedicated only and solely for this purpose. Nuances makes real difference here, as very similar solution we have at hideout, but there it isn't makes me laugh somehow. Even not sure, why, but it is that way. :) Oh, well.

Shouldn't it be the same CPU usage as normal mode with its tons of lootboxes everywhere?

Yes, but this time without good reason. This will not happen. I will not spread some junk just like that. Anyway, I can't sift off civilian-only items from the configs. We have better solution already, that I like.

So, what I do, is adding for realistic loot distribution mode another action for the player to spawn one-use box anywhere he likes, with the limitation of the only one such box existing at a time. This should solve the problem completely. What bothers me still, is you do not get selling option for checkpoint boxes...

Edited by Rydygier

It is beta? In 1.79c beta there wasn't this, but for 1.79c it is there for sure, always visible, checked that several times. Each checkpoint is generated by the same code, and in this code white box gets selling action. It would be most odd, if you haven't selling content at checkpoint white boxes in 1.79c. Do not know, what to think about that.

I checked the file name and yes, it is beta, so this explains that.
Hmm. This may be a solution. Yes, I could that, at least for realistic mode, as the only problem, I see with this, is increased amount of custom actions. But I would like to add limitation - there must exist at a time at most one such box

So, if I got it right: from the menu player spawns a normal loot box; he puts stuff in it; he uses "Sell contents"; the box disappears; he is free to spawn another loot/sell box. Right? And I won't have to pay like 1000ff for the box, it won't have a 1-h spawn timer, etc.?

So, what I do, is adding for realistic loot distribution mode another action for the player to spawn one-use box anywhere he likes, with the limitation of the only one such box existing at a time. This should solve the problem completely.

Yes please do add this. I just cleared the SE airfield finally, took everything I could from everyone (I got 22x maps, etc., in my trunk). Not a single loot box spawned in or around the airfield :). I didn't even bother try to find the potential team mate, I can't afford his services :).

So, if I got it right: from the menu player spawns a normal loot box; he puts stuff in it; he uses "Sell contents"; the box disappears; he is free to spawn another loot/sell box. Right? And I won't have to pay like 1000ff for the box, it won't have a 1-h spawn timer, etc.?

Yep. It is just empty, loot box, that will not cost you nor disappear on its own. And, as can have only one box at a time, when box is spawned, added just in case (if player somehow manage to lose his box) another action to remove it from any place (just be careful, it is not same, as selling, it will just remove the box with all within). Box can't collide with other objects, so if action is used inside some structure, or there is not enough space, box may be generated in unexpected place - near, but still may be "lost" that way.

So, dev branch upgraded:

- modernized fast travelling functions to handle properly "exotic" situations, like player in one vehicvle, companion in another etc;

- added to the "realistic loot distribution" mode ability for player to spawn an empty loot box, that may be used for selling the loot. That box, via another action, may be removed also without selling from any place.

Edited by Rydygier

Good job on the formerly green circles. They are way more visible now.

I happily supported you in MANW because your Mission and the way you work and communicate with us is perfect.

EDIT: Rydy, maybe you could consider letting the player pack his inventory with his prefered weapons and stuff, as we're used to it prior to starting ArmA missions? I mean in map/briefing screen. As part of the story no problem, Alex prepares for his travel...

Edited by tortuosit

Eh, no, rather not. Necessity of handling "I have only shitty gear and even do not know exactly, what I get" situation, motivation to get better gear and making it challenging is one of the key features here. Allowing better gear in all modes via init settings is more than enough IMO. I do not want to spoil that with such choice. And that even couldn't be switchable, as map screen is before GUI screen.

Maybe you should change the description a little? You wrote a paragraph but today's youth don't have the patience ;). Maybe the same content but displayed as a bullet list of features? Like Whole Lo some other entries that for some reason have supporters in the hundreds.

Perhaps you have a right. That also IMO would be better as for resulting amount of votes. :) From the other hand, mission by definition is designed for patient players. if someone is unable to read short paragraph, then I'm pesimistic about his impressions from the mission... Anyway, probably I'll change it, as you said. After all I want to wn, isn't? :)

You mean you was in the one vehicle, and your companion in another? Such configuration still should be handled in the newest beta fine, but I still must check, so companion will be moved after you with his current vehicle, not leaving it.

No, we found and used the Scorcher until the AI companion got it high-centred on a rock. Then we found and used the HEMTT, but abandoned it to approach some enemies on foot. In other words, we had used two separate vehicles since starting the mission, but when I decided to hitch-hike, my AI companion wasn't teleported with me.

I have completed my first pilgrimage and find this to be a wonderful mission with a wide range of things to deal with.

Starting with very little

Finding loot and intel as I go along

Being surprised by the enemy

Having to make use of what is available

Loot boxes containing a variety of weapons/ammo/equipment in houses and other locations

Restricted space for carrying loot

Ability to repair vehicles

Hitch hiking

Many other things

Dislikes

I had to turn off music as I couldn't hear if the helicopter had gone away

Ambient combat on low and being spawned in a sparsely populated area equals no ambient combat until I got to Kavala

Not much else so far

All in all I love this mission.