Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Thanks for the update. :)

Started new yesterday (previous build) and went through several villages, and when i eventually came up to a bigger one (cant remember the name, but across the water from the large airport and south a bit) and there were no loot in the whole city. Plus 2 bigger churches of 2 towns didnt save when going into them (they were not crossed off the list with hints from dead soldiers).

So anyway, will test this new build and see if its all ok again. ;)

Very nice mission!

Although I died both times I encountered enemy forces :-( To careless... First time I drove right up to a camp within 100 meters whoops! Had to backup, but they killed me. Second time I was wandering in a very small village never expected anyone and got shot. Got to the ground, tried to flank them, but thanks to bCombat they flanked me! And shot me through a window in a small building...

I did not know where to expect enemies, I guess I should expect them anywhere? So always first scout from a distance and only when it is safe enter a village.

I also bought a vehicle once, but It was on the other side of the map.

It's not yet clear to me exactly what to do accept of course look in churches. I guess the mission will tell me more when I investigate more. I also don't know yet how/when/where I can get a hideout. What are campfires for?

Is loot spawned at buildings with an exclamation mark on them? I got shot before I could enter it.

Do you meet other people who can join you? I have the medic turned on, but I believe you can also hire mercs? I think it's cooler to only use people you meet.

I only played 30 mins or so, so I guess I should really just have more patience and learn during playing!

I actually don't want to play campaign now.

I have very good framerates so far, also with bCombat on and TPW everything on. This was not the case with the campaign. TPW + campaign is decreased fps.

cheers!

@Ry

Could you consider placing the Version number on the opening pic when starting up the mission?

Also, have you thought of converting to Stratis and other maps (A3 Maps)?

Thanks guys, I'm happy, when you're happy. :)

The only bug report I have after 4 hours of play is that about 1 in 10 loot spawns is unreachable. God this is incredible!

Happens to me too, but not so often. For what exact reason this loot isn't reachable? In this version 10% of loot is replaced with special items, that hold intel, like laptops, cameras and such. Maybe it has something common with the issue?

Are all the AI groups hostile to the player (aside from civvies) and is there any chance to see AI groups fighting each other?

As said - no. Several reasons:

- distant groups are cached (only thanks to that you have decent fps with >1000 AIs on map), so anyway there would be no distant fightings with mentioned exception;

- groups are in most cases not moving too far from their area of responsibility, so meeting is unlikely anyway;

- east and independent are allies to make gameplay more challenging for player, so he should meet rather enemies, not corpses.

If you like, as I, to experience non-player centric war around, you can try another my project called Hetman. Unfortunatelly combining mission like this with war like that is far too much for CPU. I would love to experience whole Altis in raging war with tousands of AIs engaged etc etc but we know performance limitations. But also we know ALiVE, don't we? :)

So anyway, will test this new build and see if its all ok again.

Yes, definitelly. :) As mentioned, if you had an issue with 1.61, you may help me by playing without -noLogs and sending me RPT from gameplay on 1.7 where issue occured. But I have already one feedback, so issue is no longer an issue in 1.7 :) . Hopefully truth for all.

I did not know where to expect enemies, I guess I should expect them anywhere? So always first scout from a distance and only when it is safe enter a village.

Expect them at any location of any meaning. Towns, locations, airfields, crossroads... Not always AI will be present at each such point, but there is always a chance of presence, so you can't be sure and better to be cautious.

I also bought a vehicle once, but It was on the other side of the map.

You bought info about abandoned vehicle location on map. It is picked randomly.

It's not yet clear to me exactly what to do accept of course look in churches. I guess the mission will tell me more when I investigate more.

Yes. Read also diary entries in map view.

I also don't know yet how/when/where I can get a hideout. What are campfires for?

When you find one of two dozens hidden camps - two tents, campfire and some hostiles. At campfire you can establish your hideout.

Is loot spawned at buildings with an exclamation mark on them? I got shot before I could enter it.

Yep.

Do you meet other people who can join you? I have the medic turned on, but I believe you can also hire mercs? I think it's cooler to only use people you meet.

Two of them on map, each held as captive in stronghold. So not easy to get there. And recruiting will cost you 10000 ff. You can sell "online" info about loot boxes for more ff.

I only played 30 mins or so, so I guess I should really just have more patience and learn during playing!

Correct. :P

Could you consider placing the Version number on the opening pic when starting up the mission?

Perhaps not on the picture itself, too nice looking to spoil with some numbers, currently version number is visible in the init options window title. Isn't sufficient? I can also edit pbo name so will incude version number or add version to the displayed mission name during loading... Do not know - what's better for you?

Also, have you thought of converting to Stratis and other maps (A3 Maps)?

Currently no. In the future - who knows...

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

Hmm. Currently Armaholic links hold 1.7, but for me files are lacking of .pbo extension. Possibly is enough to rename that files properly. If not - use alternative download links.

Edited by Rydygier

Hmm. Forgot to implement fast travel and healing at campfire for mercs. Will be added to 1.71.

Edited by Rydygier

Btw Rydygier, when paying to get vehicle and enemy activity info they are always - and i mean always - super far away from the player. Many times it says something like "info about enemy activity in a 500m radius", but when paying for the info the actual activity is on the other side of the map, miles away.

I dont know how much coding it is to change this, and you might like it this way (and i dont REALLY have much problem with it), but it would be nice when paying for such info that it is indeed closer to you so the info gets more actual, more vital, to the player.

Keep it up mate. Love this mission. ;)

EDIT: When is 1.71 out (roughly)? I might hold back starting playing on the new version in favour for having fast travel and healing back. Its not so good to update the mission and load old saves i believe (better to start fresh everytime).

Wait, IIRC the default is H+S and one has to choose D+R to have good performance with bCombat, no?

Not sure about the default. Yes, D+R and bCombat is the way to go.

Btw Rydygier, when paying to get vehicle and enemy activity info they are always - and i mean always - super far away from the player. Many times it says something like "info about enemy activity in a 500m radius", but when paying for the info the actual activity is on the other side of the map, miles away.

I dont know how much coding it is to change this, and you might like it this way (and i dont REALLY have much problem with it), but it would be nice when paying for such info that it is indeed closer to you so the info gets more actual, more vital, to the player.

+1 on observation and suggestion.

I'm currently testing 1.71, so, I would say, tommorow or day after. This - "info about enemy activity in a 500m radius" - is about accuracy of pointed position, not distance from the player. For enemy presence circle marker has 500 meters diameter and enemy group is somewhere within.

It will rather stay this way, because seller of data nor ADM does not know the player nor his position, so can't be checked, if position, he is offering, is close to the player or not. It is pure random, which vehicle or enemy group will be pointed (Alex is just filtering offers related to Altis Island, as ADM is global in fact). Most probable is starting point in most wild part of the island, where is smallest chance to find any vehicles, so in most cases pointed vehicles are indeed far - because not many existing vehicles are close to the player.

I do not see, how to change that in reasonable way. If someone has good idea - I'm open.

IMO, currently to make good use of these two features player need to invest more money and collect many places. Otherwise it is kind of lottery, where most numbers are loosing.

Edited by Rydygier

I didn't consider the fact that some loot spawns are intel and perhaps I should return to locations and look more carefully. I have not found any intel, laptops or otherwise in buildings, so that could explain it. I can only say that I see no boxes in those locations, none on roof for instance, like before.

For some reason i cant even see Pilgrimage in the scenarios list. Didnt have that problem with any other version. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just saw what it is. Your mission (to me at least) look like this: "sp_pilgrimage.altis". There is no .PBO in the end. :D

It will rather stay this way, because seller of data nor ADM does not know the player nor his position, so can't be checked, if position, he is offering, is close to the player or not. It is pure random, which vehicle or enemy group will be pointed (Alex is just filtering offers related to Altis Island, as ADM is global in fact). Most probable is starting point in most wild part of the island, where is smallest chance to find any vehicles, so in most cases pointed vehicles are indeed far - because not many existing vehicles are close to the player.

I do not see, how to change that in reasonable way. If someone has good idea - I'm open.

I wouldn't worry about this too much. Sure, the first one I got was on the other side of the island, the second on another other side too, the 3rd somewhere in the middle, so I was rather frustrated at the beginning. But within an hour or two there were enough vehicle sightings that the RNG put a few near my position. And money is plentiful, just sell everything from the very crates you find.

Also, something I discovered by accident, is that if you use the TPW_MODS mod for ambient life, the ambient vehicles it puts on the roads can be "commandeered", e.g. carjacked when you get near.

There is no .PBO in the end.

Yes, it is only for Armaholic version. They are often repacking, what I send to them, and lately results are sometimes like that. With one of previous versions whole package was lacking of .7z extension after their voodoo, but was fixed fast. Try alternative links with original, not repacked 7z, or just try to rename current file by adding .pbo at the end.

Yes, it is only for Armaholic version. They are often repacking, what I send to them, and lately results are sometimes like that. With one of previous versions whole package was lacking of .7z extension after their voodoo, but was fixed fast. Try alternative links with original, not repacked 7z, or just try to rename current file by adding .pbo at the end.

Yeah no worries, just added PBO at the end. :)

New version was a bit different. Not being able to use army uniforms anymore for example. I get the idea, but it was fun to be able to slap on whatever you found before. The mixing was great. :) And if you can find it, then why not be able to put it on hehe.

Also, the camp i came up to had a fire going but no enemies. Thats the first time i ever seen that. Maybe sometimes there are no soldiers at hidden camps, but then its the first time i see it, in the new build as well. So maybe bug?

Keep it up!

Hmm. I did literally nothing with possibility of wearing army uniforms. In fact - I have no idea, how to change that via scripting, and always was able to use only uniforms predefined for my side.

Also at camps always should be at least one soldier, so this is odd in fact. The more odd, I did nothing with the camps too... Perhaps there was someone, but he run somewhere? Shouldn't be possible too however, unless player was detected.

Hmm. I did literally nothing with possibility of wearing army uniforms. In fact - I have no idea, how to change that via scripting, and always was able to use only uniforms predefined for my side.

Also at camps always should be at least one soldier, so this is odd in fact. The more odd, I did nothing with the camps too... Perhaps there was someone, but he run somewhere? Shouldn't be possible too however, unless player was detected.

Ok, so both are odd then. Weird. I could use army uniforms before as well (but not civvy clothes), but not in the new build. Came across nato uniform and csat so far and could not use any of them. I thought you maybe made the player "civilian" or something.

And yes the camp was empty. I sneaked from far away and never saw anyone. Clear view so im 100% sure there was no one. I used TPW mods for the first time with your mission. Maybe something in that caused the issues. Not sure.

OK. I'll investigate empty camp issue, meanwhile just enjoy not guarded camp. :) BTW Armaholic files are fixed now.

Trunks in A3's vehicles are a bad joke, true, strange, so no one made an addon to correct that yet, should be simple, perhaps only time consuming

BTW I tried to make sense of it some days ago, but couldn't find the right properties/variables. It does not seem to be the "x weapons, y items and z backpacks" like before, but more like an encumbrance system. Unfortunately nobody would drop me a hint, or nobody knows. I was thinking of bumping the thread after this week-end.

Ok, so both are odd then. Weird. I could use army uniforms before as well (but not civvy clothes), but not in the new build. Came across nato uniform and csat so far and could not use any of them. I thought you maybe made the player "civilian" or something.

And yes the camp was empty. I sneaked from far away and never saw anyone. Clear view so im 100% sure there was no one. I used TPW mods for the first time with your mission. Maybe something in that caused the issues. Not sure.

I think the uniform thing is a common Arma problem. I believe you can't wear the clothes of 'enemies'.

I haven't experienced empty camps yet, but I have noticed weird behaviour from civilian AI, rushing up to camps or ammo boxes and standing around them. Might be TPW related, but I use a few other mods so not sure yet.

As in the mission there aren't any civilians around, this is something with mods or interference. If they are gathering around boxes, maybe it is something about kind of not quite working as supposed reammo feature?

I think the uniform thing is a common Arma problem. I believe you can't wear the clothes of 'enemies'.

Kind of true yes, but in Pilgrimage previous versions you could use NATO uniforms at least. I know as i have that save still. ;) So something happened in this one. Maybe the player is set to CSAT? I think i never came across CSAT stuff, but AAF and NATO, and i couldnt wear them.

Player is FIA (west) nothing changed here. In fact I can't recall any change, I made, that possibly could affect that.

EDIT: Tested and I can wear western uniforms (NATO or FIA).

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

I'm trying to improve somehow init settings GUI. Have a question, perhaps someone knows this:

If picture (paa) contain alpha channel, is not showing as control. If I replace it with version without any transparency - is showing OK. Additionally I can show OK also old paas with alpha. Just not working for newly made pictures with alpha. Is there any setting or anything, that makes that difference?

Edited by Rydygier

Player is FIA (west) nothing changed here. In fact I can't recall any change, I made, that possibly could affect that.

EDIT: Tested and I can wear western uniforms (NATO or FIA).

Weeeird... Something is bugging out then i guess.

For sure not the only weird thing I encountered using A3... :)

Well, for now can't make working transparent background picture control, so GUI must wait. I'll not delay release due to that. I did some aestetic changes, but it is not final yet. Any opinions in that matter (look of init settings GUI) also appreciated.

Mission upgraded to 1.71. Changelog:

- moveable hideouts using vehicles;

- action for direct loading body into the boat, if not farther than 300 meters;

- air patrol range/choppers presence now adjustable;

- additional box at each camp, that may serve as secondary storage and place for selling loot (optional). First box now only for storage;

- some code tweaks.

Moving camps - if you have assigned vehicle close enough (50 meters) from established hideout, you can at fireplace pack the hideout into that vehicle, move vehicle anywhere and there unpack hideout (if code find enough space near). Loot stored in the boxes should stay intact. Limitation - there may be only one packed camp in game at a time. Tested this feature well, but it is still possible source of unexpected issues, so I'll appreciate any bug reports regarding to this feature. Should work well in both hideout modes: single and multiple.

Edited by Rydygier

I love the new 'mobile hideout' inventory feature ... excellent idea!

I will probably restart a mission tonight.

-Doc