Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Yes, fabrizio_T added one improvement, but seems, that he marginalized, what IMO is main source of the problem - 1000 of spawned threads, each per unit instead of one thread controlling all units. I wrote in his thread about this, rest is in his hands.

Rydy, I think enemies despawn too fast. But I've seen one dead soldier immediately disappearing. Now I killed a group of 2 guys and wanted to loot them, but there was only one guy left.

There is no despawning at all. Dead bodies are only cached (frozen & hidden), same as AIs and objects, if player is farther than 2000 meters (radius differs regarding to kind of entity) and not more often than once per 2 minutes. So, if you actually see a body disappearing, it may mean two things: another mod does that or CPU is overloaded and because of exec delays caching script act unreliably. Do you noticed that playing wit bCombat perhaps? If so, note, that such overload may break many things in this scenario. If this is not another mod, and not with bCombat, then worse - it may mean, CPU is overloaded anyway.

Edited by Rydygier

Hmm, I will have a closer look at it, maybe running Process explorer in the background. It's a Core i7-2600k @3.4 GhZ. And it felt like it had not much to do (no massive action in ArmA, good FPS).

I now play with @JSRS2;@sthud_a3;@status_hud;@tao_foldmap_a3;@tmr;@tpw_mods;@asr_ai3 - sthud is useless, I know :D

Hmm. Never saw disappearing bodies, but once I saw camp objects de-cached with 10-20 sec of delay. Perhaps should be done something more regarding code performance, but frankly I already used most if not all known to me tricks. So perhaps I simply reached limit with all these AIs, even cached... I'm playing this mission often lately, so I'll keep my eye open on such issues.

Yes. But always near some chapel or church.

Hm? Which option for what marker? Marker on body position? There is not such option in game. You have to edit scripts for that.

Mission upgraded to 1.5. Changelog:

- Init Options GUI with dozen parameters and optional rules to customize:

- loot prices,

- loot density,

- checkpoints density,

- garrisons density,

- hidden camps density,

- phone calls switch,

- selling loot from hideout box switch,

- multiple hideouts switch,

- AI companion switch,

- starting without map, compass, watch and GPS switch,

- kill markers mode switch,

- loot 3D icons mode switch (moved from radio channel).

- Alex is now demolition expert, so can effectively use mines and such;

- language corrections and new phrases;

- improved calculation, what should be taken from enemy's inventory at death;

- various fixes and tweaks.

A bit about optional rules: As for enemy density default values are lowered a bit comparing to 1.41. To achieve same density, as in previous version, set all to 100%. This values are statistical. Effect will be not exact, instead probability of presence for each enemy group etc. is lowered to chosen value. As for default - if in 1.41 average group count was 200-230, now is 150-160. Hopefully this will help with some long-term issues reported by some users, possible after long gameplay.

Phone calls now may be disabled - for some was annoying, and if you play 12th time...

Selling from hideout box looks same, as usual, but box stays. Be sure, you have inside only things, you want to sell though.

Multiple hideouts - instead of moving hideout from camp to camp Alex can set new hideout at every camp. Rest stays same except fast travelling, that in this mode looks similar to hitchhiking. Code will always choose as target hideout closest to the clicked position.

AI companion - second team member. Noticed, that some wanted it, so here you go. Will fast travel and heal himself along with Alex. He is a medic.

Starting without items is pretty hardcore mainly due to lack of map. Some dead enemies may have a map though. Your choice.

Kill markers - three possible modes: all (as previously and default), only own kills and none.

Loot markers switch works same way, but now it is set once in this menu. Can't be changed later.

Edited by Rydygier

Hello,

I'm looking forward to this!

I had started over and put about three long evening into 1.4, and then of course the ARAM update broke all of those saved games, so I will be starting over again. Before doing so, I wanted to ask if you have an idea of when 1.5 might come out because I will probably wait for that. I don't think I have it in my to start over too many more times! :-)

Thank you for all of your hard work on this great mission!

-Doc

Fantastic update. Options are good. Need to restart the mission now...

where find the option for the marker?

The loot marker? Keypress 0-0. Edit: obsolete. Can now only be set at mission start.

Doc Calivan:??? 1.5 Is out.

Edited by tortuosit

Doc, 1.5 is already here. I'm glad you like it, guys. Starting from the beginning each update seems to be immanent issue of Workshop subscription (unless we get an option to control, when Arma should update subscribed content), thus I suggest rather play not via Workshop (BTW, is it so important? Isn't jurney itself the reward? :) ). But, frankly, no more ideas to implement at the moment, so except possible bugs to fix I have no plans for next version soon.

Edited by Rydygier

Excellent. When I started over for 1.4, 1.41 came out right on it's heels (sign of a good developer keeping is code up to date!), so I may wait a day or two just in case. I'm looking forward to it!

Reasonable. +0.1s introduce new stuff, new stuff means risk of new bugs. New bugs means next +0.01. :) For now however no issues spotted.

Mission upgraded to 1.51 (hotfix):

- fixed issue with AI not attacking player.

with workshop when i save the game and restart arma III i lost my savegame :O( grrrrrrrr

Then I guess it has updated in between. I play non-Workshop, to be on the safe side.

Possible. Although, in 1.5 player is captive (not attacked by no one) and immune to damage - forgot to delete these code lines used during tests. So anyway, better to start again on 1.51.

Now I'm running 1.51 with special code to catch any sign of CPU overload, all on 100%, to hunt down some strange and so far not reproduced by me issues, that sporadicly are reported to me (disappearing loot or bodies, not signing checked chapels or signing not checked...). So far no sign of any CPU overload (prime suspect), all is running smoothly, only one small thing to correct, so for now no reason for 1.52 - can be played safely also on Workshop. For now. :)

Then I guess it has updated in between. I play non-Workshop, to be on the safe side.

no... it happens usually

One reason more to avoid Workshop... :/

I am obsessed with your mission. I play it everyday. Please continue and also make more missions. We need missions that are different from the norm and this is quite different. Thanks for making and sharing.

Yes, fabrizio_T added one improvement, but seems, that he marginalized, what IMO is main source of the problem - 1000 of spawned threads, each per unit instead of one thread controlling all units. I wrote in his thread about this, rest is in his hands.

Be sure that's not marginalized, i'm usually prone to consider useful suggestions ;)

Many improvements are coming with 0.16RC2, i'm currently profiling its performance, we'll see.

Oh, thats great. Also some other "pilgrims" here would be happy, if something can be improved in this area. :)

@Khugan

I'm very glad, you liked it. More missions is question of ideas/inspiration, time and my priority list.

Just finished 1.51. Still an excellent mission.

No real issues apart from the loot boxes appearing to damage some building.