Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

I played an hour and like it so far. Adm feature appeared when I had no ffu :-(. I met enemies once (3), heard them talking. No problem with my hunter hmg which I found. They gave me a machine gun. :-) Also, I must have sold something expensive (did not look into any box), have 70000 ffu now. The exclamation marks make looting a bit too easy. But OTOH, I'm maybe too lazy to look into any building. I hope I meet more enemies.

For the good mood, maybe some more music would be nice.

I like the weather. And as dynamic weather sucks in ArmA 3, don't waste your time on this.

Edit: can you tell how enemy appearance is programmed - or tell where in the code it is? I think I want to be able to find the enemy more often.

Edited by tortuosit

Yeah, I tried do some things with weather in another project - sucks at this moment indeed.

Music can be played more often, but then may become tiring in time.

Spawning itself is located at lines 1079-1306 in JR\JRInit.sqf. It is done per each location of given type. Some additional spawning code is planned. It is all done once, at the initialization. During the game groups are only cached via disabling simulation and hiding. I decided to mark loot because I noted, without such helper I have not funny and tiring "compulsion" to check every corner of every building. It becomes boring soon. Current solution is for me optimal - player still need approach the building to check it, but that is enough.

As for more enemy attention around player, there will be in some form checkpoints, hidden camps (anything special player should be able to do at such camp when cleared?), possibly I could make motorized patrols (only several on map) to investigate dynamically areas, where player was spotted... If this is still not enough, I'll think more, eg I can add more groups per garrison, but frankly this means already above 500 AIs on map.

And, people, how about adding artillery? Some mortars scaterred over whole Altis controlled eg by my FFE script? Beeing spotted will be much more dangerous thing, but may be also frustrating to be from time to time killed by shells without any chance to do something about - what do you think about that guys?

Code fix for items loot and for better balancing ammo prices is ready.

Edited by Rydygier

+One here on the no sound thing, got sound everywhere else also, even in mission on menus but no ambient nor weapon. Tried with community addons and jsrc. Help man dying to try your mission sounds awesome !!

can add a random start point?

Thought about that. Pure random is perhaps too risky, as far not each spot is suitable, but randomly chosen from several possible - next thing to consider. BTW note, that you can use boat and relocate this way.

@ fuse77

Also without any mods (on pure vanilla)? Are you running stable or dev branch? Could you paste RPT content from sound-less gameplay beginning? Are there other unexpected/strange things or surprising lack of things? I could suspect such effect, if init.sqf doesn't execute properly, as initially sound is muted, in init field of player's unit and restored in init.sqf after some delay. Question for a million is, if something is wrong, why this is happening for you and not for many others?

Problem with this issue is, only very few experienced it (had two reports). For the rest sound is apparently OK.

Edited by Rydygier

@Rydygier great concept, reminds me of playing Abandoned Armies which was made for OFP. Just once question, can you save more regularly? I found i could only save once?

Concept isn't very original, I think. It is more compilation of few known ideas, I saw and liked, with few own additions and cameral, but nice plot, all put together to satisfy my own taste.

can you save more regularly? I found i could only save once?

Mission's code does not interfere anywise with saving. All depends on Arma's general settings, you have. I have enabled unlimited saves under CONFIGURE -> GAME -> DIFFICULTY, so yes, I can save all the time. And I do. :)

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

@ fuse77

Perhaps try this version:

PilgrimageTest

And tell me, if no sound issue is also in it. This may help if not understand, at least remove the problem. If it is working fine - feel free to play it. It is from player point of view identical as official version.

Edited by Rydygier

@Ryd

I was thinking..maybe (probably) tortuosit is right.

Is there any way to remove the exclamation marks from houses with stuff? (also the tip House checked :) )

Without exclamation marks will make it more...authentic experience!

Maybe in radio menu as option??

Different version??

Yes..the gameplay time will increase significantly but..i m sure there is a portion of people who want to play it slooooowly.

Any chance of having a faster day/night cycle? I never really have a chance to play in the dark since I always find the body long before evening time. Current version also seems a lot easier. There's so much loot I'm spoiled for weapon choice, and there always seems to be APCs or armed hunters around to use. You don't have to use them, obviously, but I can't help it when I have the option. :p

I think removing the exclamation marks should be optional. Because Rydi may also be right. It may become tiring for some of us to have to look into any building.

As for the enemy. I wish there would be a way to get reports. Kind of radar. Not too precise and with some amount of randomization, information like "Enemy about southwest, 500-1000 m". So that its not too easy like map markers. You have to find them properly with binoculars etc...

Our maybe they could make noise sometimes, or shoot... So you can spot them with your ears...

As for the mortars. I'm not afraid to get killed... I save regularly, anyway. I think it's interesting.

You wrote you spawn everything at mission start. I hope this is the same for performance like dynamically spawning and I hope, BCombat Ai mod does not look at unsimulated units...

Edited by tortuosit

1. Loot marks - yep, I could add such switch on/off option under some custom radio channel.

2. Day/Night switch - two possibilites here. One - as above, via radio switch, second, more immersive, but not always available, is bounded with using cleared enemy camps - there player may "rest" to choose hour. What's better? There will be not so much camps (about dozen), so chance to find one on whole Altis wouldn't be too big.

3. Enemy presence reports - apart from bought on ADM - I think, it is possible, messages like "you just heard some running engine sounds from the south" or "you just saw trail leading west - 4-8 men".

4 Still I need opinions on this:

And, people, how about adding artillery? Some mortars scaterred over whole Altis controlled eg by my FFE script? Beeing spotted will be much more dangerous thing, but may be also frustrating to be from time to time killed by shells without any chance to do something about - what do you think about that guys?

Current version also seems a lot easier. There's so much loot I'm spoiled for weapon choice, and there always seems to be APCs or armed hunters around to use.

These things wasn't touched for 1.3. Most probably you got this time more player-friendly initial randomization. :)

Edited by Rydygier

I like your ideas 1-3.

3: great and still immersive idea! Radip menu manual enemy reporting would also be nice. Maybe even a mark in map option.

Immersion vs. Radio switches: both! Always! Choice is always good. Nobody is forced to use radio switches. People should be allowed to play as they wish, if implementation is not too time consuming.. But of course first do the immersive part.

Its like first/third person playing. I have the choice in sp, and choose to play 1stP because of immersion.

1. Loot marks switches: on, off, incomplete!

As for the mortar I think many people, like me, are not familiar in using them (you know it was maths in Arma 2), therefore, I think, players may be not too enthusiastic about conquering them.

And always some amount of randomization, its the salt in the soup (german saying).

Edited by tortuosit

Indeed, I'm repeating this myslef: in doubt - make it optional. :)

incomplete

What do you mean?

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

I'm updated first post (in fact did same for most of my projects) with license statement, just to make clear for all, what in my intention they can do, and what they can't with my work without asking me each time for permission. This way should be easier for all.

Yes. I'm updating it nearly simultanously.

Incomplete (loot markers): I mean it could only mark a subset off all lootable buildings.

1 - 3 ....Very good...

Mortars..No please. Just if could be an option. In my case Always off.

Hi guys,

once I save then try to resume I get:

"you cannot play etc etc... it is dependant on downloadable content that has been deleted.caweapons, ca_ah64d"

and I have no idea what that could be referring to?

Any help would be great guys!

thanks,

Marc

To me looks, like you saved game, when playing with active AH64d mod (is there such?) or mod containing such addon, but when you tried to load, you played without that mod active. And caweapons? Is that some stuff from A2?

I don't know mate.

I tried deleting all saves and replaced the Pilgrim mission file in and started again, and got the same issues! :(

I don't know... And why would it come up with A2 stuff? That freaked me out a bit tbh...

Only, if you are using some mods that brings under A3 stuff from A2, otherwise I have no idea too. There is obviously something about AH-64d, which is not in A3, and is in A2, thus my theory. If this is not because any present-on-save custom addons, then I have no idea what is going on there.

Mesh, its strange indeed. whats your Arma command line... Or what Addons do you load via UI?

Btw, do you save and after reloading the mission, without restarting Arma, get the error again? Would be very strange.

Of course there is a worst scenario-maybe he has messed-up with ARMA3's main addon folder

Hey thanks for your input guys.

JUST realised when I'm starting up ARMA3 is comes with a warning pop up saying:

"Addon 'TracersWAR' requires addon "CAWeapons".

I think it MAY be "Blastcore Tracers"...

CONFIRMED; Damn, sorry for being so slow on this guys, it appears it was the excellent "Blastcore Tracers" that were having this effect.

Thanks again for all your help chaps..!