Sign in to follow this  
Niklas

Now that "Zeus" is a thing, how hard could it be to make a 3D editor?

Catering to the recently developed PvP section and leaving everyone else in the dark is abandoning their original audience. It's fine that they add this, as long as they also add a 3D mission editor.

My words about Day Z are the obvious truth, especially to anyone that has followed the mod since the beginning and witnessed the steady degradation of its community. Time will tell of BIS is really turning into a mainstream PvP studio, there's more than enough indication that this happening (taking a break from ArmA, lots of devs moving to Day Z development, lack of new noteworthy features in ArmA 3), and BIS wouldn't be the first studio to do this.

what stops you from using Zeus in PvP or PvPvE mission ?

DayZ has own development team

Arma 3 team has grown since A3 release and again since DayZ release

noteworthy stuff is WIP ...

new feature for the newly developed PvP community

I explained why this isn't at all a PvP oriented feature, and asked you to tell me how it was. I'm waiting.

Reminder: The units you spawn in are AI controlled.

I would also like to see a 3D Editor based on this new technology. Placing units and looking for nice spots for a mission to take place would be way easier than now. Right' now, you can't really imagine how the terrain looks just from the map, so it's constant trial and error, and Zeus would make that a lot faster.

Helpful hint:

1. Place player down in editor

2. Hit Preview

3. Hit Escape key

4. Press Camera button

5. Look at map really quuckly and easily (Shift and Alt make you move Fast and Superfast)

what stops you from using Zeus in PvP or PvPvE mission ?

DayZ has own development team

Arma 3 team has grown since A3 release and again since DayZ release

noteworthy stuff is WIP ...

Once again, Dwarden flies by with a rigteous schoolin'.

Zeus sounds like something really fun. If done right, by the GameMaster (or whatever you would call them). Especially in Coop. No more stale and rehashed Domination-style takeovers.

Now the AI will get their revenge! All hail AI! OGA BOGA OGA BOGA!

Haha

Helpful hint:

1. Place player down in editor

2. Hit Preview

3. Hit Escape key

4. Press Camera button

5. Look at map really quuckly and easily (Shift and Alt make you move Fast and Superfast)

And how it can be with 3D editor:

1. put down player

2. adjust until satisfied

Yes I always think of Zeus Ai but hey...

Oh, I see many uses, for example not having to test unit and object positions a thousand times and having to adjust from preview to 2d editor

This. And it would accelerate mission development a thousand times. The preview button would not be our enemy any more.

Edited by tortuosit

Can't wait for Zeus. I love D&D so zeus should be right up my alley.

Imagine making a new campaign every night with some other players....

Has anyone managed to get Zeus to work as a 3D editor yet?

Yes. I managed to export objects placed in Zeus to Visitor3. For export I used the DLL's from Homer Johnstons Road Painter 2.

Exporting to a templatescript should be also quite simple.

But before Zeus really works as 3D-Editors, the height control in Zeus needs to be improved.

See this ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17516

Yes. I managed to export objects placed in Zeus to Visitor3. For export I used the DLL's from Homer Johnstons Road Painter 2.

Exporting to a templatescript should be also quite simple.

But before Zeus really works as 3D-Editors, the height control in Zeus needs to be improved.

See this ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17516

I'm going to be honest, your entire post just went over my head.

-place player in editor

-set zeus game master modul

-connect the modul with your player

go on preview and build on the map ...........

all what we need is :

a save option after build

and a time stop in the preview

than we have a 3d editor in the 2d editor ;)

-place player in editor

-set zeus game master modul

-connect the modul with your player

go on preview and build on the map ...........

all what we need is :

a save option after build

and a time stop in the preview

than we have a 3d editor in the 2d editor ;)

I fully agree! this would help me out so much

I can try it now but, isn't it possible that:

1. Start multiplayer game

2. Mission editor

3. What JgBtl292 said

4. Save

?

Please make this a thing. I enjoy using Zeus in the Editor just to build some things but I can´t save them...

Yes ..it's kinda irritating and provocative to bring ZEUS

without the 3D editor (one of most wanted features for ARMA series ever)

Sure it would be useful to have a built-in 'Save' feature in Zeus, but if they do add it, it will probably be along the lines of using the existing object grabber/mapper functions. Which is something you can already do in the editor after making your composition with Zeus.

Would still be better if there was an official button that just says 'Save'.

Yeah.... This needs to be in the editor. I would have to think that this would have been better to develop in editor then dumb it down\modify the GUI to make it a game mode.

I'm on board 100% for this needing to be in the editor it would make life so much easier. I could get some tasks done in 1/2 the time.

^ and with precision... i hate trying to place units in buildings man!

In the editor add the Zeus GameMaster module and sync to player -> preview

Press Y to activate Zeus, press the "yellow empty icon" on the right side and start placing objects in 3d editor

When you want so save your objects run this line from the debug console or a trigger: [getPos player, 50] call BIS_fnc_objectsGrabber; (grabs objects within 50 meters of the player and saves the COMPOSITION to your clipboard)

Open notepad and paste in the content, remove objects that was added which you don't want, eq. snakes ect., save the file to your mission folder, eq. "composition1.sqf"

Reload mission

When you want to load your saved objects run this from your debug console or on a trigger:

0 = [getPos player, getDir player, call (compile (preprocessFileLineNumbers "composition1.sqf"))] call BIS_fnc_ObjectsMapper; (Loads the objects with the player position and direction as ancher point.

IMPORTANT

Composition could look like this, I just placed 2 CinderBlocks:

/*
Grab data:
Mission: compositiontest
World: Altis
Anchor position: [23609.9, 18839.3]
Area size: 50
Using orientation of objects: no
*/

[
["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[5.14648,1.29688,1.90735e-006],0.00052606,1,0,[],"","",true,false], 
["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[1.45508,5.72852,1.43051e-006],0.00105235,1,0,[],"","",true,false], 
["Snake_random_F",[19.8633,26.5313,0.0083878],248.213,1,0,[],"","",true,false], 
["Snake_random_F",[-43.252,12.5938,0.0083878],156.115,1,0,[],"","",true,false]
]

If you remove lines REMEMBER to remove the last comma, the LAST object line MUST never end with a comma, or the objects wont load. The array is in error then, so:

RIGHT

[

["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[5.14648,1.29688,1.90735e-006],0.00052606,1,0,[],"","",true,false],

["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[1.45508,5.72852,1.43051e-006],0.00105235,1,0,[],"","",true,false]

]

WRONG

[

["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[1.45508,5.72852,1.43051e-006],0.00105235,1,0,[],"","",true,false], <- REMOVE COMMA

]

On the last note I would say this is great because its a COMPOSITION, which means your objects can be placed ANYWHERE and they will be placed and ROTATED as in your original composition.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Edited by Hansen111

In the editor add the Zeus GameMaster module and sync to player -> preview

Press Y to activate Zeus, press the "yellow empty icon" on the right side and start placing objects in 3d editor

When you want so save your objects run this line from the debug console or a trigger: [getPos player, 50] call BIS_fnc_objectsGrabber; (grabs objects within 50 meters of the player and saves the COMPOSITION to your clipboard)

Open notepad and paste in the content, remove objects that was added which you don't want, eq. snakes ect., save the file to your mission folder, eq. "composition1.sqf"

Reload mission

When you want to load your saved objects run this from your debug console or on a trigger:

0 = [getPos player, getDir player, call (compile (preprocessFileLineNumbers "composition1.sqf"))] call BIS_fnc_ObjectsMapper; (Loads the objects with the player position and direction as ancher point.

IMPORTANT

Composition could look like this, I just placed 2 CinderBlocks:

/*
Grab data:
Mission: compositiontest
World: Altis
Anchor position: [23609.9, 18839.3]
Area size: 50
Using orientation of objects: no
*/

[
["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[1.45508,5.72852,1.43051e-006],0.00105235,1,0,[],"","",true,false], 
["Snake_random_F",[19.8633,26.5313,0.0083878],248.213,1,0,[],"","",true,false], 
["Snake_random_F",[-43.252,12.5938,0.0083878],156.115,1,0,[],"","",true,false]
]

If you remove lines REMEMBER to remove the last comma, the LAST object line MUST never end with a comma, or the objects wont load. The array is in error then, so:

RIGHT

[

["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[1.45508,5.72852,1.43051e-006],0.00105235,1,0,[],"","",true,false]

]

WRONG

[

["Land_CinderBlocks_F",[1.45508,5.72852,1.43051e-006],0.00105235,1,0,[],"","",true,false], <- REMOVE COMMA

]

On the last note I would say this is great because its a COMPOSITION, which means your objects can be placed ANYWHERE and they will be placed and ROTATED as in your original composition.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Wowes, nice. Going to test this one today.

Does this one grab units as well? You mentioned snakes so I wonder if this works for placed units as well.

€: Is there a way to save the absolute coordinates instead of placing it relative to the player (or so workaround)?

Edited by soapsurfer

It was very sad after I found that I can't save my work in Zeus :(

Zeus is very a powerful tool, it's my noob-mission designer's dream - but I can't use it as a 3d editor.

I hope that BIS will make a proper 3d editor in the future, I think it can boost community's productivity much better than any 500k contests etc.