Sign in to follow this  
Niklas

Now that "Zeus" is a thing, how hard could it be to make a 3D editor?

Seeing that trailer makes you wonder, if this is possible in a running multiplayer game, how hard can it be to make this functional for the editor? It looks really advanced.

I'm kind of hoping that it IS a 3d editor at the same time, but with the ability to use in MP too.

Hopefully it is also a 3D editor. There would be no excuse not.

Anyways, why is it called a DLC? Wont it just be updated like normal? And its free..

Dan;2621417']I'm kind of hoping that it IS a 3d editor at the same time' date=' but with the ability to use in MP too.[/quote']

You would think with the push of having a sandbox game that the priority would be to release a 3D editor to make the sandbox experience even more intuitive, and then put up a multiplayer game mode.

Should be rather easy to export all the data and integrate it into a mission file.

That said it was doable and was done for a long time already.

You would think with the push of having a sandbox game that the priority would be to release a 3D editor to make the sandbox experience even more intuitive, and then put up a multiplayer game mode.

I really hope they use this to make a proper 3D Editor

So, does this mean we'll also have the SP 3D editor aswell?

As it seems we can use it in Zeus, it would be clever to add it in SP too for mission makers.

I don't see a use in SP aside from saving a pre made mission with it (hopefully) in the editor, in Singeplayer it'd be more of a cheater tool

Found this in the reveal thread:

Zeus is about real-time editing alone, although you can use it in both MP and SP. A fully fledged 3D mission editor is a more significant undertaking, built on some basic ideas.

So far, we've moved some of these simple ideas - creating and editing entities and logic - from scripted prototype to legitimate engine support, and made them a core part of Zeus.

We're not currently in a position to say whether we can take these things further into a full, offline incarnation but, surely, this work can't hurt. :)

Admittedly for that bit about what got moved from 'scripted prototype to legitimate engine support' is most interesting, since it leaves open the possibility of a 3D editor in the future.

Oh, I see many uses, for example not having to test unit and object positions a thousand times and having to adjust from preview to 2d editor

Did anyone notice the lightning blowing up the tank? Got to love the realism.

Actually, given the engine, it's probably just setting the tank's health to zero (which blows it up) and the lightning effect is just that, an effect. I doubt the lighting actually destroys the tank.

Well the Master of the game, aka Zeus, may have the power to destroy units on the fly. Hence the lightning.

I have the same question about 3D editor.

Great question, seriously. People have been requesting this for the longest time. How about giving us a functional 3D editor, you know for the mission makers? The original, core ArmA fans that have been there since the beginning? Before BIS turned into a PvP studio as the result of kids overrunning Day Z. I'd hate to see another studio abandon their original audience.

Great question, seriously. People have been requesting this for the longest time. How about giving us a functional 3D editor, you know for the mission makers? The original, core ArmA fans that have been there since the beginning? Before BIS turned into a PvP studio as the result of kids overrunning Day Z. I'd hate to see another studio abandon their original audience.

Original audiences don't keep paying the bills and putting food on Devs tables.

Casual gamers and 'wider audiences' do that :)!

I am joking of course.

I can think of many uses for this real-time editor module.

While I don't like the kiddie stuff like lightning bolts and colorful HUD clutter, I do appreciate that it will be less clunky than MCC, and the ability to direct AI that are already spawned, based on friendly movements, sounds very handy for large-scale coop play.

I would also like to see a 3D Editor based on this new technology. Placing units and looking for nice spots for a mission to take place would be way easier than now. Right' now, you can't really imagine how the terrain looks just from the map, so it's constant trial and error, and Zeus would make that a lot faster.

I'm an original core ArmA fan and this game enhancement looks totally awesome. I primarily play coops with my friends and can see having ridiculous amounts of fun as both Zeus and player (or victim ;) ). How is this abandoning their core audience? Quite the contrary. It's 100% conducive to the emergent and dynamic gameplay that sets Arma apart from every other multiplayer FPS. I would argue that highly structured game modes like king of the hill and sector domination etc. are further away from what Arma is all about than this new feature.

Your words about DayZ causing BIS to "turn into a pvp studio" make me laugh.

I'm an original core ArmA fan and this game enhancement looks totally awesome. I primarily play coops with my friends and can see having ridiculous amounts of fun as both Zeus and player (or victim ;) ). How is this abandoning their core audience? Quite the contrary. It's 100% conducive to the emergent and dynamic gameplay that sets Arma apart from every other multiplayer FPS. I would argue that highly structured game modes like king of the hill and sector domination etc. are further away from what Arma is all about than this new feature.

Your words about DayZ causing BIS to "turn into a pvp studio" make me laugh.

Catering to the recently developed PvP section and leaving everyone else in the dark is abandoning their original audience. It's fine that they add this, as long as they also add a 3D mission editor.

My words about Day Z are the obvious truth, especially to anyone that has followed the mod since the beginning and witnessed the steady degradation of its community. Time will tell of BIS is really turning into a mainstream PvP studio, there's more than enough indication that this happening (taking a break from ArmA, lots of devs moving to Day Z development, lack of new noteworthy features in ArmA 3), and BIS wouldn't be the first studio to do this.

Well there is the MCC sandbox mod already if you want 3D editing. I'm hoping BIS makes their 3D editor available though because it looks a little sharper and user-friendly.

Catering to the recently developed PvP section and leaving everyone else in the dark is abandoning their original audience.

Where are they doing this in Arma? Zeus is not PvP oriented, though you can use it in PvP missions. It lends itself more to coop though, like DnD-style. They're also still developing the singleplayer campaign. Explain to me where the PvP focus is.

My words about Day Z are the obvious truth, especially to anyone that has followed the mod since the beginning and witnessed the steady degradation of its community.

Get over yourself. Whining about DayZ players degrading the community? If you want to consider yourself a part of this community, take some responsibility and do your part to keep it great. Complaining about what projects BIS chooses to pursue is not helping.

there's more than enough indication that this happening (taking a break from ArmA, lots of devs moving to Day Z development, lack of new noteworthy features in ArmA 3)

????

What?

Have you forgotten what thread you're posting in?

Where are they doing this in Arma? Zeus is not PvP oriented, though you can use it in PvP missions. It lends itself more to coop though, like DnD-style. They're also still developing the singleplayer campaign. Explain to me where the PvP focus is.

Get over yourself. Whining about DayZ players degrading the community? If you want to consider yourself a part of this community, take some responsibility and do your part to keep it great. Complaining about what projects BIS chooses to pursue is not helping.

????

What?

Have you forgotten what thread you're posting in?

ArmA 3 will be their last ArmA project for a while, once it's done. And yes, all these months after release we get a nice new feature for the newly developed PvP community. Next update after this: Wasteland becomes official.