lordheart

LHM Parachute Fix

So after playing Arma for a period of time, eventually parachuting into AO's comes up and you go off and do it. Only to land and either glide 20-30m from where you landed and end up prone or other oddities happen.

Presenting LHM_Para

Features:

• No awkward landings
  • No gliding across the ground
  • Signed and keyed for your benefit

Known Issues:

• No parachute closing animation, in fact the parachute simply disappears
  • If a mission or another mod uses onEachFrame without using BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler it will break this.

Download Version 0.0.1 (2.22 Kb)

Install Instructions:

• Unzip
  • Place with your other mods
  • Move the folders/files within the userconfig folder within @LHM to the userconfig folder in the root of Arma 3
  • Add @LHM_Para to your mod line using your favourite launcher (or the manual way)

Thats pretty cool, landing on mountains/hills sides precisely used to be so difficult. You would always end up at the bottom -.- lol

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

This is a good idea for an addon. Parachutes are super annoying.

I wouldn't use onEachFrame, though, because of the possible conflicts. If you really need to have your code run every frame, I've written a function that has essentially the same effect as onEachFrame.

outlw_fnc_onEveryFrame =
{
private ["_code", "_condition", "_pFrame"];

_code = compile (_this select 0);
_condition = compile ([_this, 1, "true"] call BIS_fnc_param);

while _condition do
{
	_pFrame = diag_frameno;
	waitUntil{diag_frameno > _pFrame};
	call _code;
};
};

You just give it the code you want to execute and an optional condition, both as strings.

["hintSilent str(damage player);", "alive player"] call outlw_fnc_onEveryFrame;

That will post a hint every frame with the player's damage value until he's no longer alive. If you just call the function with the code you want executed every frame and omit the condition parameter, it will act just like onEachFrame.

Maybe onEachFrame has better performance or something, though. I dunno. I'm really not sure what the benefits of onEachFrame are.

Honestly, though, I don't think your code really needs to run every single frame. Maybe you could have a loop that checks every 10 seconds or so to see if the player's parachuting, and if he is, then start checking if he's reached the ground every frame.

I dunno, these are just some thoughts. In any case, this is a helpful addon. Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by Outlawled

It currently uses BIS's bis_fnc_addStackedEventHandler, which of course relies on other modders or mission makers not to directly use the onEachFrame method.

There is optimisation that can be done because, like you said, it doesn't need to run every frame unless the player is actually parachuting. I did include many early-outs so it doesn't do any unnecessary processing every frame but I will look into further optimising to cover all bases.