Sign in to follow this  
HM2 FMF Smithee

Where are the ArmA3 in-game missions pbo files stored and can we deconstruct them?

The missions, particularly the rifle range, that are part of ArmA3, can we deconstruct those pbo files to learn how the triggers for the moving targets are set up, the restriction of weapons used, the timed sections, scoring, and such are modeled/scripted?

I admit I am a "monkey-see, monkey-do" when it comes to making mission maps for my friends and I to enjoy, and am particularly fascinated and frustrated in how the targets moving on rails is executed on the rifle range missions.

So, I guess I'm asking quite a few questions.

Where are the game-included missions like the rifle range kept and can we de-pbo them? (under some use of the creative license that BI is allowing)

and

Just how were the moving targets in the rifle range set up to be triggered and move along the rails? (front to back, left to right, and vice versa)

Of course you can unpack the missions and have a look, how things are done... back in the early OFP days, that was the only way to learn how to make missions/addons.

The BIS missions are stored in A3's addonfolder in the mission_f_*.pbo files. You can unpack them with dePBO (Mikero tools) or any other pbo-tool. You should be able to copy the missions to your own mission-directory (userfolder/Arma3(ArmA3-Oher profiles)/missions) and have a look at them in your editor.

And I think you are clearly allowed to adapt the scripts in there (like the popup targets).

Of course you should keep credits (even or especialy for BIS stuff) if you derive a mission from the scripts.

danke schön, NeoArmageddon. I was hoping it would not have been taken as an improper question.

now I have my weekend planned out for learning more about the rifle range course and then my conquest of the world! mu-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaa.... *cough* *cough*[/i] so sorry, got carried away there.

On 12/02/2014 at 8:04 PM, NeoArmageddon said:

You can unpack them with dePBO (Mikero tools) or any other pbo-tool.

The post might be closing in on 4 years of age, but the answer's still there. 

• Like 1