Sign in to follow this  
dale0404

A storm is coming (Arma 3 Zeus DLC)

Like the original lightning-strike.sqs , I'm sure players will come up with more subtle means of destroying vehicles: There's always the chance of an engine failure, tires deflating, tracks seporating, etc etc.

I for one, really love this! And hope it is the first step to a 3D Editor. perhaps via paid DLC.

Adding engine failures and the like might even be possible by default. If not, surely it'll be modded in or added later. This could be used for something as simple as training for helicopter engine failures and learning to autorotate.

this looked mostly pretty damn interesting.

love the real time editing.

I hope the 3d part becomes an element of the editor.

like the icons.

but i really DIDNT LIKE the lightning bolt destroying something. instant reaction was wtf is this in an arma game? so out of place, maybe for a harry potter game but here...

will there be an after action report? SO importnat for a game mode like this.

im glad to see MP getting the focus it needs. id really like to play more arma3 mp.

hope core things that'd add to the mp experience on a smaller, more useful to the unit, level are also looked at.

including working official bipods and weapon resting, seriously, maybe streamlined action menu, a vault animation (not jump, but not simple stop and step either), more immersive weapon handling (inlduing new animations), fatigue systems active. else you're just adding more icing on a cake that needs a little more baking.

not excited yet, but defienlty interested to see more.

Edited by twisted

I honestly thought this was going to be for sp too.If it's only mp screw it.

Wont work

Anything placed in editor thats not of a Land_ based id and therefore aconfigged entity will lag like fuck after _x entities are reached

Its incredulus to believe the network and stream code of entitys is ignored in this context yet devved out in the buildings and objects in the terrain you cannot feasibly expect this to work in mp until a DAYZ like overhaul is ported to A3 engine .

If this is progress its masked as fantasy , ill eat my words when I dont see Zeus Lags when I place _x , till then ill watch with a smug grin.

In this very thread: Post #185 :j:

My bad then,I've just zipped through the thread and missed it,since we can toy with Zeus in sp bring it on.

but i really DIDNT LIKE the lightning bolt destroying something. instant reaction was wtf is this in an arma game? so out of place, maybe for a harry potter game but here...

You don't have to use that feature if you don't want to. If you think this is the first time the Arma engine has ever let you do something unrealistic (either through the editor alone or with scripting) then I have youtube videos to show you.

The whole point is that it lets you use it, but you don't have to. The Arma map editor lets you create a tank with an initial velocity of 1000m/s and have it fly across the landscape, but you don't have to. How is this any different?

If your complaint is that they even spent time implementing this lightning feature, well, sorry. I doubt it took more than an hour or two of work. Why so much rage over a tiny detail?

Some of the people complaining here just don't understand what this is. For those that wanted Arma 3 to be more like VBS, you're now getting one of the biggest features that VBS has, tailored specifically to make it usable in actual gameplay. This is not based in reality or fantasy — you use this the way you want to. If you're in a realism unit, your commander can utilize this to create training scenarios or even full missions on the fly. There are no grounds here for complaints about realism or the use of BIS' resources. I don't believe any better content could be released at this time.

This should be an awesome tool to be used in the community I play with. Some of the COOP scenarios we play now could do with a little extra spice and Zeus is ideal. Just thinking about the extra "stuff" you can add into a basic scenario is amazing. If the mission is too difficult remove a couple of ai (that haven't been seen yet or aren't in direct LOS), too easy, add aforementioned ai...

Then don't use it with the majority of players and don't use it in public MP. Mission makers control this, it's not just some multiplayer game mode. Add it to a mission, apply any restrictions or freedoms you want, and then use it in your group. I don't see what any of that has to do with public multiplayer.

I wouldn't want to see it in public servers unless it is run by a community and there are admins available etc.

will there be an after action report? ...

Yes please, if BIS can, please do.

Edited by dale0404
Spelling and grammar.

I like the idea. Unfortunately i am not in a regular MP group and the quality of this will be heavily dependent on the DM. So if the average public server is anything to go by most games will be dreadful.

I doubt you can save the missions. This mode is not like the real time editor in VBS. It's closer to MCC sandbox and stuff of that nature only this is much make game-y than realistic.

If it was a real time editor, it would be called a real time editor. It looks like it is a gameplay module like the sector control and defend modules. Nothing more.

How the hell are you getting that from any of this? Having a 'game master' is probably the only real way to implement an 'AI' that thinks about the big picture. Are the players moving on an unexpected flank? If this was a regular mission all you could do is twiddle your thumbs, now the AI can react to it because the game master told them to do so.

Have you even used the real time editor in VBS? the only difference between it and this and you can use the RTE to edit a mission and save it, but the main use is for adapting scenarios on the fly like this allows.

Because they're providing a sandbox. Just because you don't like that bucket doesn't mean you have to use it on your castle. But someone else might find it immeasurably useful while building theirs.

The more options you have, the more varied the resulting gameplay will be.

Who knows, maybe someone will mod in Hogwarts, and it'll have a perfect place to fit in?

Glad to see the "waste of time it'll be shit/" posting of yesterday is replaced with optimism today. The feature looks amazing and can't wait to play around with it. I may have to look into finding myself an online group, as this will really shake things up. Plus it lets you play godcommander and use Arma 3 as an RTS of sorts, which is awesome!

What WOULD have been much better is to also have a mode that emulates Window of Opportunity by Mondkalb (considering that he is a dev now too!)

Still it does seem like they have taken VTS and MCC and modified it. The only difference ... a huge thunderbolt to kill off vehicles/people ... WOW !

Glad to see the "waste of time it'll be shit/" posting of yesterday is replaced with optimism today. The feature looks amazing and can't wait to play around with it. I may have to look into finding myself an online group, as this will really shake things up. Plus it lets you play godcommander and use Arma 3 as an RTS of sorts, which is awesome!

Butit doesnt mask the reality , its just stupid to ignore the facts they are breaking all known common sense laws of dont create something that nulls a previous gain , the whole concept is flawed from the outset because it denies the reality .

The Fix

SPOTREP #00011: http://dev.arma3.com/spotrep-00011

Potential Altis performance optimization (especially when using a lot of AI units): removed class properties from models in***Structures_F***that don't need it.

The Break of the fix and contrary design flaw.

"Zeus***players have full reign over the game and can create objects and missions at will"

In essence Altis is optimised not yet for all but ground has been made , if you add an object to even a normal mission with AI or even in mp in pvp it costs almost 10 fold of that placed via Visitor terrain editor an binarised ro map.

It is either blind faith or first step to introduce smaller maps only time will tell but so far hype and video does not mirror reality that is for sure , the frustration is that this kind of development makes no sense at all but still it continues imo.

Someone please make a classic D&D mod for this, holy shit it would be awesome

Also stop your whining, your actually getting more VBS features, after the past 8 or so years of begging

Butit doesnt mask the reality , its just stupid to ignore the facts they are breaking all known common sense laws of dont create something that nulls a previous gain , the whole concept is flawed from the outset because it denies the reality .

The Fix

SPOTREP #00011: http://dev.arma3.com/spotrep-00011

Potential Altis performance optimization (especially when using a lot of AI units): removed class properties from models in***Structures_F***that don't need it.

The Break of the fix and contrary design flaw.

"Zeus***players have full reign over the game and can create objects and missions at will"

In essence Altis is optimised not yet for all but ground has been made , if you add an object to even a normal mission with AI or even in mp in pvp it costs almost 10 fold of that placed via Visitor terrain editor an binarised ro map.

It is either blind faith or first step to introduce smaller maps only time will tell but so far hype and video does not mirror reality that is for sure , the frustration is that this kind of development makes no sense at all but still it continues imo.

Like 3 people worked on this out of the entire team quit fucking bitching about performance, they've been working on it non-stop since the alpha

Like 3 people worked on this out of the entire team quit fucking bitching about performance, they've been working on it non-stop since the alpha

yeah they are working on performance...... by making it even worse! most players noticed a performance drop since the lastest patch

yeah they are working on performance...... by making it even worse! most players noticed a performance drop since the lastest patch

Let's not get off topic. Sometimes progress can move backward before it moves forward. Nature of any software development, especially in the area of optimization. The ultimate goal remains getting better performance, and they will continue working toward it.

Lol , im sure now they know the mentality of the person they made it for , they will sleep tight , god forbid my fact based post should muddy your well thought out and well dictated opinion good sir .

They shouldcall it Denial , then we can all play the game you and the poster above wishes to play , lets not mention performance and just be in awe that official Devs have took concept of RTE, Lost Key, VTS ,..... and made it official cause thats all that happened here that I see they made great ideas easier to use , but they still dont accept or respect the fact its flawed logic to build problems on problematic foundation .

Edited by Sealife

Lol , im sure now they know the mentality of the person they made it for , they will sleep tight , god forbid my fact based post should muddy your well thought out and well dictated opinion good sir .

They shouldcall it Denial , then we can all play the game you and the poster above wishes to play , lets not mention performance and just be in awe that official Devs have took concept of RTE, Lost Key, VTS ,..... and made it official cause thats all that happened here that I see they made great ideas easier to use , but they still dont accept or respect the fact its flawed logic to build problems on problematic foundation .

Fact based post? If you honestly believe that a single word of your post is matter of fact you are delusional. You do realize in order to create missions you have to... get this. Create objects? The change mentioned in your post is similar but it's more in regards to how the engine handles objects, some objects do not need to be fully simulated and are a waste of resources to do so, which was what that change was about. Stop trying to push an agenda that you have zero understanding of.

This is inengine instead of script based like VTS etc are, this means it will perform much better as it wont have the scripting overhead to worry about.

Fact based post? If you honestly believe that a single word of your post is matter of fact you are delusional. You do realize in order to create missions you have to... get this. Create objects? The change mentioned in your post is similar but it's more in regards to how the engine handles objects, some objects do not need to be fully simulated and are a waste of resources to do so, which was what that change was about. Stop trying to push an agenda that you have zero understanding of.

This is inengine instead of script based like VTS etc are, this means it will perform much better as it wont have the scripting overhead to worry about.

Hahaa

Thanks for that , I will always come back here when I need a laugh

Doesn't VBS have something like this? I mean, lots of people are complaining saying that they copied VTS or MCC which are great mods, but still the concept of live editing existed before.