Sign in to follow this  
denco

Arma 3 and pagefile

I'm having an issue with arma since I lowered my pagefile from 8GB to 1GB. I get a message that I'm running low on memory and its recommended to close the application ( arma3 ). The weird thing is it only happens in arma and whats even weirder is that I haven't disable pagefile only lowered it to preserve space on my SSD. Anyway I went and opened my resource manager, combined with HWinfo, to see whats happening and when the error pops up I still have 3GB of free ram space. My windows uses 2GB, arma uses 2GB and 3GB is left unused which eliminated my suspicion that there is a memory leak.

Now I've heard from Dwarden that arma is LAA ( large address aware ) and uses more than 2GB even though its not 64b. Does arma require pagefile to run properly?

It only happens in arma and It never happened before. It also stops if I revert my pagefile back to 8GB, but I really don't want to do this.

Edited by Denco

Try putting the swap file on another hard drive if you're worried about SSD lifetime issues. Lowering its size will not make your game utilise more RAM.

Try putting the swap file on another hard drive if you're worried about SSD lifetime issues. Lowering its size will not make your game utilise more RAM.

I'm not worried about the lifetime of an SSD I just need the extra space :)

Also putting the pagefile to a hard drive defeats the purpose of an SSD I believe the same would go for AppData folder.

Widows will by default will match your RAM for page. Also, do you have Hibernation off? " powercfg.exe -h off ". Its a hidden file in Root, like Page.sys. Hiberfil.sys. It can get huge!

A bigger SSD or another the same will help alot on the page. Win&7 will share the Page across drives default. Also Windows wants to match your GPUs VRAM and will take what it needs and Cache it (in Page and in RAM and in Drive space). My Basic rule(all BS) is to have twice as much RAM as VRAM Minimum. Let Windows manage my Page( it knows better than me what it needs), Leave 30% freespace(max) on a SSD that is Written too.(a full SSD will go slowwwwwww..ww..w..w..w). Always let your system go idle for a couple of hours after much writing/deleting, for GC(Garbage Collection) to do its thing.

Edited by kklownboy

I'm still getting this issue after a while of play. I've now raised my pagefile to 4GB even though my system does not need that many. Does anyone with an SSD have this issue when disabling or lowering their pagefile.

leave it on system managed size !!!

you will create only more problems messing around with that

what you can do is move the pagefile on a a different partition or disk

Bump up to 16 GB RAM and ditch the swap file altogether. :cool:

Swapfile is needed by a lot of appz and games despite 16 gigz of RAM. In fact most WILL crash if there is no pagefile at all

Swapfile is needed by a lot of appz and games despite 16 gigz of RAM. In fact most WILL crash if there is no pagefile at all

I guess my computer hasn't figured that out, because I've been using zero page file since I got 12 GB of RAM (years ago) and I've had zero crashes related to it.

Had the same problem. Pagefile was disabled. I had to enable it to 1024 Gb and now I don't get this error. I have 8Gb RAM + 1 Gb pagefile. There is only 1 disk in my system - SSD.

I guess my computer hasn't figured that out, because I've been using zero page file since I got 12 GB of RAM (years ago) and I've had zero crashes related to it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

http://www.howtogeek.com/95915/heres-why-disabling-the-windows-pagefile-is-pointless/

I ran no pagefile flightsimming in xp, never a problem.

If a game is thrashing the hd using the swapfile, no pagefile will end the hd bottleneck.

I don't see hd thrashing in arma tho..., maybe in jets you'd see it.

Personally I wouldn't run a 32 Bit OS without a page file as your apps can only address 3GB. The same (32 Bit) apps can address 4GB on a 64Bit OS so you are less likely to experience any swapping.

Yeah, pretty much. However, I'd go as far as to say it's not pointless to disable it, because I am pretty sure it will take up room on your HD with a swap file however large you set your page file size to.

I also like disabling it because then I know for sure that programs aren't trying to use it instead of RAM.