toadie2k

Toadie's SmallArms and Animations for Arma3

@rasdenfasden:

well...yeah and no,

a.) it's a game. really.

b.) as a German i've witnessed this discussion for months now everytime I turn on the tv. However, the discussion has shifted quite a bit from "get rid of it" to "redesign it and save us the hassle of going through procurement again"

c.) the Bundeswehr is by far not the only user of this rifle (that's what I meant by widespread in Europe), and from what I've heard, many of the other users appear to not have the problems the Bundeswehr has. 

Sorry if this sounds a little preachy or insulting, as it is absolutely not meant to be that way. But my main point is that this rifle is far from being put of service. In fact, I think that for the Arma story the discussion about redesigning the rifle make it all the more plausible :)

and finally, wasn't there a decades long discussion about getting rid of the M16/M4 too? ;)

Sorry, but this scenario is very, very unlikely as things are now. 

The reason is because the G36's future in the German army is more than just in doubt. Apparently due to numerous flaws that were made apparent when it was used in combat in Afghanistan, the G36 has been declared "unsalvageable" by the Germans. 

The most striking problem that was reported is that when the G36 heats up from firing, the accuracy goes to hell so fast and so severely that it renders the rifle essentially unusable at anything past 100m. 

Here's one of many articles about the whole ordeal:

http://www.janes.com/article/50424/g36-investigation-raises-questions-about-german-service-rifle

From what I've read so far there's still a lot of conjecture on this as at least initially they had no success in duplicating the inconsistencies faced in Afganistan and blamed their ammo. I've also heard rumblings that H&K improperly manufactured the composite "frames" of these weapons and used the wrong type of plastic, leading to much greater sensitivity to temperature. Despite what's been said I think it would be a very big surprise for Germany to dump the G36 altogether. I've also read that there's some effort been made a designing some type of metal insert which would keep the barrel from directly contacting the frame. I believe that replacing the entire composite frame would probably be cost-prohibitive but I think that may become a possibility if its proven that H&K did something wrong.

Wasn't the idea of a stainless steel collar and trunnion part of the redesign of the now-defunct MG36? You'd think that HK would offer some sort of upgrade of sorts for existing G36s, especially with the criticism the've been receiving recently.

The latest I've heard is that because the German government wanted the rifles on the cheap, the receivers on Bundeswehr rifles were made with one of the plastics in the composite replaced with the same crap used to make plastic bags and milk jugs. It's suspected that export models use the superior plastics that were called for in the original design specs, and thus takes much longer to heat up to the point where the polymer becomes flexible and you start seeing accuracy degrade to Submachine gun levels. Which is why it's difficult to replicate the results of the German tests.

However the actual flaw behind the accuracy problems is inherent to the G36 design, the barrel and trunnion is one steel piece, but it's anchored directly to the polymer, so as the receiver heats up and becomes flexible the barrel loses rigidity in its mounting, meaning that the force of the gun firing causes the zero to shift. The Germans will probably end up adopting an improved version, the problems aren't too hard to fix with minor adjustments to the composite, the way the barrel mounts the receiver and the optics mount. That also gets messed up by the heating issue, because the optics frame is mounted to the polymer receiver too. That's why you'll often see KSK guys with aftermarket aluminium handguards, sidesteps the whole issue. But yeah, desert gun it ain't. 

Actually replacing the G36 would be prohibitively expensive for an Army that's already notoriously underfunded.  

The problems with any rifle do not matter in a game, nor should they be considered for making concepts to enjoy a platform for a weapon in a game. I'm all for realism, but it's nice to have different fictional rifles barring any technical issues it may have. A lot of people like the G36, that's why it's being made next. Remember, you're playing a game where caseless ammo is standard with BLUFOR using a fictional rifle and CSAT having armored clothing.

Remember, you're playing a game where caseless ammo is standard with BLUFOR using a fictional rifle and CSAT having armored clothing.

Which is exactly why we need modders like Toadie and the RHS guys to replace that crap. In an ideal world I wouldn't need 10 GB of mods for my military simulator to have appropriate assets, yet here we are. If you had of actually read my post I pointed out that the issues reported are linked only to the Bundeswehr models, not the G36 as a platform.

Which is exactly why we need modders like Toadie and the RHS guys to replace that crap. In an ideal world I wouldn't need 10 GB of mods for my military simulator to have appropriate assets, yet here we are. If you had of actually read my post I pointed out that the issues reported are linked only to the Bundeswehr models, not the G36 as a platform.

I wasn't targeting you specifically, just trying to calm down this "don't put this gun in because it has issues" ordeal because it doesn't really matter in a game and it won't change what Toadie wants to do with the pack.

@rasdenfasden:

well...yeah and no,

a.) it's a game. really.

b.) as a German i've witnessed this discussion for months now everytime I turn on the tv. However, the discussion has shifted quite a bit from "get rid of it" to "redesign it and save us the hassle of going through procurement again"

c.) the Bundeswehr is by far not the only user of this rifle (that's what I meant by widespread in Europe), and from what I've heard, many of the other users appear to not have the problems the Bundeswehr has. 

Sorry if this sounds a little preachy or insulting, as it is absolutely not meant to be that way. But my main point is that this rifle is far from being put of service. In fact, I think that for the Arma story the discussion about redesigning the rifle make it all the more plausible :)

and finally, wasn't there a decades long discussion about getting rid of the M16/M4 too? ;)

if you ask me, this was some sort of scheme to push the Bundeswehr to upgrade to HK 416. Would've been a great contract for HK.  

Please calm down, if you have an opinion of the default game setting no need to air it any addon makers thread - and please try to stay on topic. 

Guys, I've got an issue with the pack. The rail attachments (PEQ/flashlights) are either on the left side of the weapon, or on the lower side, when I select the "on top" variation. Does anyone knows what's causing that?

Guys, I've got an issue with the pack. The rail attachments (PEQ/flashlights) are either on the left side of the weapon, or on the lower side, when I select the "on top" variation. Does anyone knows what's causing that?

Assuming you're using Robert Hammers attachments, his weapons designate rails differently, so attachments in the side rail slot intended to go on top will end up on the bottom, looks good with some weapons, not so much with others. Its very likely not going to be fixed because the two addons aren't built to work with each other.   

The problems with any rifle do not matter in a game, nor should they be considered for making concepts to enjoy a platform for a weapon in a game. I'm all for realism, but it's nice to have different fictional rifles barring any technical issues it may have. A lot of people like the G36, that's why it's being made next. Remember, you're playing a game where caseless ammo is standard with BLUFOR using a fictional rifle and CSAT having armored clothing.

Wait, you have some problems with armored clothing? Our Spetsnaz buying the armored combat suits mabe by Fort for a couple years already.

http://russianguns.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/f1_2444706991.jpg

Not a common thing though. The manufacturer sets up wild prices for their stuff.

I wasn't targeting you specifically, just trying to calm down this "don't put this gun in because it has issues" ordeal because it doesn't really matter in a game and it won't change what Toadie wants to do with the pack.

Dunno guys, if the G36 is anything like the previous HLC releases so far, it might be TOO realistic. I for one fully expect to be able to smell burning plastic after dumping three magazines!

Wait, you have some problems with armored clothing? Our Spetsnaz buying the armored combat suits mabe by Fort for a couple years already.

http://russianguns.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/f1_2444706991.jpg

Not a common thing though. The manufacturer sets up wild prices for their stuff.

No, I don't have a problem with the design decisions Bohemia has made, but there's no one that can truly say armored clothing that's as good as regular body armor will be standard by 2035.

Yo toadie2k. I've been working with Blastcore tracers addon and I would like to make compatibility option. In order to make HLC weapons to work with Blastcore tracers, I need from you. Class names of all your bullets, I presume it's something like "hlc_762x39_ball". Now if you please post the list here or send me in the PM, that would be great.

Cheers

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29359

Yo toadie2k. I've been working with Blastcore tracers addon and I would like to make compatibility option. In order to make HLC weapons to work with Blastcore tracers, I need from you. Class names of all your bullets, I presume it's something like "hlc_762x39_ball". Now if you please post the list here or send me in the PM, that would be great.

Cheers

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29359

Can't you just get it from CfgAmmo?

Can't you just get it from CfgAmmo?

I not interested in going through anyone's config without first having some kind of response from owner. Plus if I could get some help, like in this case having all ammo class names written it would be great.

I not interested in going through anyone's config without first having some kind of response from owner. Plus if I could get some help, like in this case having all ammo class names written it would be great.

you don't need to go trough the config, you can do that inside the game

you don't need to go trough the config, you can do that inside the game

True, but I work faster when reading from config file while making my own config at the same time and with HLC weapons it's little different, because HLC has multiple addons released and I only use AK pack. So I'm not really into downloading all of HLC addon and to "read" them all. I was hoping to get some kind of support from HLC  with 2 reasons:

1. to have their consent to make it (it doesn't hurt to ask), 2 Since I'll be doing all the job at least some help I receive would be nice. Both RHS and Massi were wiling to do their part of the "job" in order to make this addon. So far I haven't got any kind of reply from HLC maker and I won't be making BCT tracers for them.

woah.

Waiting for some kind of blessing and asking for official documentation hardly makes you "ridiculously entitled". Easy there tiger, it's Friday. Have a brew and listen to the gospel of our divine lord and savior Rebecca.

FoxFort:

Toadie responds when he feels like it I suppose. Judging on the recent posts he made it looks like it can take a few days so don't go all "nopenopenopenope" just yet :)

"Both RHS and Massi were wiling to do their part of the "job" in order to make this addon. So far I haven't got any kind of reply from HLC maker and I won't be making BCT tracers for them."

Implying that Toadie has a "job" to do on his part sounds entitled to me.

I don't get your term "entitled", entitled for what? All I said was, when I talked to RHS and to Massi they were happy that I contacted them and they shared needed information with me. Which means two things, they don't mind I did it and they gave me some help. Toadie doesn't have to do anything for me. I offered to make BCT compatibility patch for HLC. Toadie can easily and bluntly say "Look, I don't care" and I would be fine with that I would not even be mad. Until I get reply from Toadie I'm simply not going to do anything, no biggie.

True, but I work faster when reading from config file while making my own config at the same time and with HLC weapons it's little different, because HLC has multiple addons released and I only use AK pack. So I'm not really into downloading all of HLC addon and to "read" them all. I was hoping to get some kind of support from HLC  with 2 reasons:

1. to have their consent to make it (it doesn't hurt to ask), 2 Since I'll be doing all the job at least some help I receive would be nice. Both RHS and Massi were wiling to do their part of the "job" in order to make this addon. So far I haven't got any kind of reply from HLC maker and I won't be making BCT tracers for them.

The License conditions in the top part of the OP should cover everything you need to know. Consent is automatically given as long as you uphold the conditions declared in the License.

That covers 1st reason, but what about second reason, it someone doesn't appreciated what I'm trying to make (e.g. not willing to help me), then should I make it?