toadie2k

Toadie's SmallArms and Animations for Arma3

Copy, wilco and fix.

Well, not to second guess Spartan, so I'm sure he can conform or deny the actual timeline on this, but he reckons he will have the GP11 ballistics data done very shortly (along with a WHOLE bunch of reworked/refactored ballistics he's done due to this new algorithm he's using that gives better ballistic accuracy). I personally want to say this weekend, like I've wanted to every weekend since I started sitting on them, but ultimately it's his call when he's ready... and I'd rather have some close-as-it-gets bullet data than what is at best feels-like-simulcra data that I could do myself.

when Foxhound checks his PM box, which should be soon.

Hello! Awesome work!!

Do you know if the PWS team will re-Upload the whole compilation of the mods to 1 mod in PWS and delete the whole other separate mods or they will add 1 more to the whole list?

Hey, our community removed your HLC AK pack from our mod collection about 6 months ago, due to some issues with them not penetrating material as well as vanilla and RHS weapons.

I can't find a changelog in the starting post, so I'm not really sure whether this has been fixed or not.

Looking forward to the next update Toadie! Looking great!

Toadie2k usually get his ballistics code from me, and I also believe he has ACE3 configs as well. However I had yet to release my Russian ballistics, I have all the data and its accurate, and it was NOT easy to get, almost like pulling teeth. What you have to remember is that the Ruskies make their ammo differently than most NATO countries do, not just the steel casing and the primer, but in the bullet design. Russia signed the Hauge Agreement, the United States did NOT, however we have honored it out of "good faith", which brings me to another fine point. The United States military thanks to SOCOM in the 1990's classified insurgent and terrorist forces as non-conventional and with that all the Hague restrictions have been eliminated, then in 2010 a new bullet type was created for long range accuracy, the OTM or Open Tip Match. The design is simplistic yet sinister, its a reverse drawn jacket leaving a very small open space in the center but its considered a "ball" round, and has been approved by NATO for use against conventional forces now as the design of the Mk318 Mod 0/1 SOST is standard until the USMC can figure out if they will switch to the M855A1. Now getting into the M855A1, it uses the same reverse drawn jacketing, but its "plugged" essentially with a mild steel arrowhead penetrator for enhanced penetration of barriers and body armor. The M855A1 EPR is one nasty son-of-a-*****, upon entering 10% organic ballistics gelatin its jacket FRAGMENTS from 2 inches in to about 10 inches, from there the steel arrowhead penetrator usually takes an upward path while the copper slug behind it takes a mid to lower path, this creates wound channels that go as deep as 19-22 inches on average with separate wound tracts. Once again this has all been NATO Mil-Spec APPROVED, Russia has NOTHING like this, they do use steel cores and have almost always used them in fact, even back in the 1960's, however they still use a traditional FMJ type bullet profile in all of their official service small arms munitions. All of my Russian ballistics will take this into consideration when doing the calculations, so this will inevitably affect the damage output (I do take tumbling into consideration), and of course I will also set the penetration as realistically as possible within the confines of ArmA's base code.

Here is a video of an M855A1 EPR in 10% organic gel shot from a NATO Mil-Spec 14.5 inch M4 Carbine (civilian variant) at about 12-15 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_epymWduYs

....very long post....

Ah! That's very interesting information! You do understand though, that if HLC uses a different, albeit "more accurate", way of simulating bullet penetration than RHS and Vanilla, it means HLC weapons will be inherently unbalanced compared to weapon families produced by other mods, that should have similar capabilities.

Take the RHS AKM for example. Why would a mission maker mix HLC AK's and RHS AKM's if the other is completely and utterly just more...well...useless.

I know that striving for a realistic experience is one of the things that keeps the arma modding community going, but would striving for compatibility also hurt so much? I would very much love to use HLC weapons as well and I'm actually arguing for it to be added back to our collection.

edit: Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you said you HADN'T released your Russian ballistics yet. Sorry man. :D

I await the release eagerly then!

Ah! That's very interesting information! You do understand though, that if HLC uses a different, albeit "more accurate", way of simulating bullet penetration than RHS and Vanilla, it means HLC weapons will be inherently unbalanced compared to weapon families produced by other mods, that should have similar capabilities.

Take the RHS AKM for example. Why would a mission maker mix HLC AK's and RHS AKM's if the other is completely and utterly just more...well...useless.

I know that striving for a realistic experience is one of the things that keeps the arma modding community going, but would striving for compatibility also hurt so much? I would very much love to use HLC weapons as well and I'm actually arguing for it to be added back to our collection.

edit: Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you said you HADN'T released your Russian ballistics yet. Sorry man. :D

Once my Russian rounds are ready both Toadie2k and the RHS team will receive the code at the same time so that they can update accordingly, both of them have been waiting a LONG time for these ballistics.

Well, I do actually strive for it when it's feasible - note that I'd done compatibility patches for RHS, ACE and CUP that allow you to run their mags in my guns and vice versa, and I've been MOSTLY on tick about keeping step with ACE functionality. I'm not going to admit it's perfect, but you know, I do realise that the majority of modded arma players tend to run ecosystems of mods rather than just one and I try to work with that assumption as base when I can.

Here's the things inherant about the ballistics in A3 - No two sets are built to the same standards. RHS writes bullets specifically optimised for RHS's penetration system, BI's default Arma3 ballistics are pretty heavily edited for pronounced effect (QED .408), Spartan writes his with a high eye for terminal accuracy, etc,. So you're going to get variance in the same caliber rounds regardless of where you go.

Specifically the 5.45/7.62x39mm - I have done some revisions to the ballistics in the past 6 months based off some of Spartan's preliminary work on the rounds, cowitnessed against ACE3's ballistics data. I think mostly it was correcting hit values and devaluing the effectiveness of the 7u1 Subsonic round, but I think the 7n24s got some additional penetration capability out of it too.

I'd say give the AKs another look-in. At the worst you'll find they underpenetrate at distance, but like I said, I've got RHS compatibility pbos up there if you feel strongly about it.

• Like 1

Once my Russian rounds are ready both Toadie2k and the RHS team will receive the code at the same time so that they can update accordingly, both of them have been waiting a LONG time for these ballistics.

Oh! Thanks for clearing this up! I'll be in line waiting eagerly as well, then.

Thanks for your work!

Well, I do actually strive for it when it's feasible - note that I'd done compatibility patches for RHS, ACE and CUP that allow you to run their mags in my guns and vice versa, and I've been MOSTLY on tick about keeping step with ACE functionality. I'm not going to admit it's perfect, but you know, I do realise that the majority of modded arma players tend to run ecosystems of mods rather than just one and I try to work with that assumption as base when I can.

Here's the things inherant about the ballistics in A3 - No two sets are built to the same standards. RHS writes bullets specifically optimised for RHS's penetration system, BI's default Arma3 ballistics are pretty heavily edited for pronounced effect (QED .408), Spartan writes his with a high eye for terminal accuracy, etc,. So you're going to get variance in the same caliber rounds regardless of where you go.

Specifically the 5.45/7.62x39mm - I have done some revisions to the ballistics in the past 6 months based off some of Spartan's preliminary work on the rounds, cowitnessed against ACE3's ballistics data. I think mostly it was correcting hit values and devaluing the effectiveness of the 7u1 Subsonic round, but I think the 7n24s got some additional penetration capability out of it too.

I'd say give the AKs another look-in. At the worst you'll find they underpenetrate at distance, but like I said, I've got RHS compatibility pbos up there if you feel strongly about it.

Gotcha! Thanks for the answer, I'll definitely bring this up in our meeting about adding new mods to the collection. I really hope we can get your weapons back into use, as they're top notch.

I was wondering, is it possible to get the RHS Escalation- HLC Compatibility patch without replacing RHS weapon sounds? I quite like the sounds they implemented in the newest version, and it seems like a hard sell to our community to give up the sounds of the weapons we have so we can add more weapons.

Thank you too, for your work!

To add on what toadie said: so far we have implemented most of spartan's code in RHS. We are very thankful for the work he does on everything related to ballistics, we feel it is the most accurate representation of how teh real life counter part behaves. Regarding the general penetration system available in RHS versus the vanilla one, since the data collected by spartan is the go to for realistic behaviour, once we have the entire data implemented, we'll try to have a second look over the damage and penetration system to make sure things are in synk (i am talking about the character damage values, especially considering the changes BI is currently working on in the dev branch on the same subject).

@spartan - getting info about russian stuff in general is more difficult than nato/us, especially if you are not a russian speaking lad (and i am not), so yeah the comparison with pulling teeth is pretty accurate

@toadie - keep up the good work mate!

• Like 1

To add on what toadie said: so far we have implemented most of spartan's code in RHS. We are very thankful for the work he does on everything related to ballistics, we feel it is the most accurate representation of how teh real life counter part behaves. Regarding the general penetration system available in RHS versus the vanilla one, since the data collected by spartan is the go to for realistic behaviour, once we have the entire data implemented, we'll try to have a second look over the damage and penetration system to make sure things are in synk (i am talking about the character damage values, especially considering the changes BI is currently working on in the dev branch on the same subject).

@spartan - getting info about russian stuff in general is more difficult than nato/us, especially if you are not a russian speaking lad (and i am not), so yeah the comparison with pulling teeth is pretty accurate

@toadie - keep up the good work mate!

Don't even get me started on the protection levels the BLUFOR and INDEPENDENT Grenadiers have on their armor....

• Like 2

Can't wait until you're new update is out, I was wondering if you have any plans at doing compatibility patches for RH's M4 pack or the upcoming SMA release (obviously not until its actually been released)?  

Can't wait until you're new update is out, I was wondering if you have any plans at doing compatibility patches for RH's M4 pack or the upcoming SMA release (obviously not until its actually been released)?  

I'm sure he could but he has stuff in the works like the G36s and ACRs, plus he'll have to update his ballistics soon. I'd say you won't see compatibility patches for a while.

Hey Toadie, I'm not quite sure if you read my previous post (it wasnt addressed in your post here, but i'll ask again just to be sure.

Great work on the update toadie. Your weapon packs are high quality addons and my ARMA experience wouldnt be the same without them. Two small requests though. A while back you mentioned that you'd include the integrated surefire flashlight for the mp5. Is this still in your plans? Would love to see its inclusion for some 90s SWAT/CT styled loadouts. Secondly, will you open up your AWM models for more attachments? I'd love to be able to mount suppressors and IR pointers on them. Moreover, bipod compatibility for the suppressed version would be nice. 

After going over the list I noticed that most of the models you intent on modeling are either rifles or pistols (with some machineguns thrown in). Have you considered adding shotguns to the list? I'm not really familiar with ARMA's mechanics, but would it be possible to implement realistic pumpaction shotguns using the Weapon Eventhandler Framework mod? Combined with your animating (and general modding) talent that could offer some truly unique new weapon systems to ARMA. Hell, in general it would be nice to see more novel weapons brought to ARMA (like that really cool archery mod).

Speaking of animations. Would it be possible to have machineguns carried at the hip when at low ready? Currently it must be very exhausting for macinegunners to carry their weapons in ARMA. When you come around to working on the HK416's and other more exotic ar15 derivatives, will you consider adding thumb over bore shooting postures for some variants? Just a little something to differentiate them from the rest of the m4s.

Hey Toadie, I'm not quite sure if you read my previous post (it wasnt addressed in your post here, but i'll ask again just to be sure.

After going over the list I noticed that most of the models you intent on modeling are either rifles or pistols (with some machineguns thrown in). Have you considered adding shotguns to the list? I'm not really familiar with ARMA's mechanics, but would it be possible to implement realistic pumpaction shotguns using the Weapon Eventhandler Framework mod? Combined with your animating (and general modding) talent that could offer some truly unique new weapon systems to ARMA. Hell, in general it would be nice to see more novel weapons brought to ARMA (like that really cool archery mod).

Speaking of animations. Would it be possible to have machineguns carried at the hip when at low ready? Currently it must be very exhausting for macinegunners to carry their weapons in ARMA. When you come around to working on the HK416's and other more exotic ar15 derivatives, will you consider adding thumb over bore shooting postures for some variants? Just a little something to differentiate them from the rest of the m4s.

I don't think shotguns would be a problem; remember that most of the weapons on that list are requests, so I'm sure if you became a patron you could put some on there. Spartan could probably tell you whether or not the ballistics of shotgun pellets and slugs would be an issue, but toadie made a god damn handheld DShK, animated and all, so I don't think there are many problems beyond that.

Also, seeing as how the voting has gone the next actual AR-15 variants that get made will be M16s, so I think a standard shooting posture is in order for those. The CMMG MK47s/KAC SR-47s are higher up on the list, and AFAIK the MK47 is actually meant to be used in the posture you suggested, but those aren't true AR-15s. I'm not on the team though so take none of what I say to be word of god.

As has been said, the list is mainly requests, every Patreon backer gets to put one item on the list, and most people gravitate towards snipers, assault rifles, machine guns and smgs.

There are actually engine problems with shotguns, the AA-12 and KSG were originally planned for Arma 3 but got taken out at the last minute. There's something wrong with the way the game tries to simulate pellets that makes them disproportionately effective against buildings and vehicles.      

Guest HellGhost

Hi Toadie,

I have check everywhere but nothing anormal to signal, but I must say that the MP5-A10 is hidden.

I must add the scope in my alternate file (you already give me the authorisation to do it) for having it visible in Virtual Arsenal.

I don't think you specified to hide it in the config' file, but maybe you should check ?

Or maybe I'm the only one to have this.

If the others users can informed me about the visibility of the MP5-A10 in the Virtual Arsenal for I'm being able to know if the issue is only on my side or general.

Thanks.

As has been said, the list is mainly requests, every Patreon backer gets to put one item on the list, and most people gravitate towards snipers, assault rifles, machine guns and smgs.

There are actually engine problems with shotguns, the AA-12 and KSG were originally planned for Arma 3 but got taken out at the last minute. There's something wrong with the way the game tries to simulate pellets that makes them disproportionately effective against buildings and vehicles.      

The pellet issue can be remedied, I think we'll have shotguns with the launch of Tanoa. Bohemia likely didn't want to push shotguns in with it looking wonky. There was recently a Zeus picture that had units listed and one of them said (Rifleman Shotgun) if I remember correctly, so I'd say they're still looking into ways of getting it to work with these animation overhauls lately like the new sniper bolt action and upcoming grenade launcher animations.

Hi Toadie,

I have check everywhere but nothing anormal to signal, but I must say that the MP5-A10 is hidden.

I must add the scope in my alternate file (you already give me the authorisation to do it) for having it visible in Virtual Arsenal.

I don't think you specified to hide it in the config' file, but maybe you should check ?

Or maybe I'm the only one to have this.

If the others users can informed me about the visibility of the MP5-A10 in the Virtual Arsenal for I'm being able to know if the issue is only on my side or general.

Thanks.

There's an HK MP5/10 under the HK53, I don't think there's ever been an MP5-A10. The MP5/10 comes up on the latest HLC mods for me.

The pellet issue can be remedied, I think we'll have shotguns with the launch of Tanoa. Bohemia likely didn't want to push shotguns in with it looking wonky. There was recently a Zeus picture that had units listed and one of them said (Rifleman Shotgun) if I remember correctly, so I'd say they're still looking into ways of getting it to work with these animation overhauls lately like the new sniper bolt action and upcoming grenade launcher animations.

There's an HK MP5/10 under the HK53, I don't think there's ever been an MP5-A10. The MP5/10 comes up on the latest HLC mods for me.

So that's why we missed out on the KSG & XM25. I was really excited for those and also very sad when they didn't make it in the end (though the UTS-15 and XM-25 mods out there accomplish the same thing pretty nicely.)

Still, if anyone were to suggest shotguns there's always slugs, HE, and other types of ammunition that aren't all wonky, and that's assuming any get made before Tanoa comes out.

AAAAAWWW Crap, this means everyone is gonna want 12 gauge ballistics, and that is going to be an interesting little project.... Will most likely just stick to 00 tactical buckshot and slugs....

• Like 1

AAAAAWWW Crap, this means everyone is gonna want 12 gauge ballistics, and that is going to be an interesting little project.... Will most likely just stick to 00 tactical buckshot and slugs....

Good thing we're a ways out from the expansion but it seems like a better time than ever to get shotguns working right with a jungle area, I mean they are still sitting on an AA-12 and KSG model, the guns are even in the guide: https://store.bistudio.com/img/products/78/images/XFPQLz80.jpg

Recently? That was back all the way when Zeus got announced. The first video of it had it as well.

Recently? That was back all the way when Zeus got announced. The first video of it had it as well.

I guess I could've chose a better word choice, regardless there have been references of shotguns still becoming a reality within the past year and it's in the actual guide so they should come eventually. What better time than with Tanoa?

I guess I could've chose a better word choice, regardless there have been references of shotguns still becoming a reality within the past year and it's in the actual guide so they should come eventually. What better time than with Tanoa?

An osprey is in the guide, that doesn't mean either are going to be available, the only code related to shotguns in the game atm is legacy from Arma 2 and some config testing.