Sign in to follow this  
Antichrist

Ofp is dead?

Mustang, you're just wasting your time with us. You know that OFP will always be better for us, because we like realism and not too much cartoons. wink.gif.

Please, just go to BF1942 forum and talk how OFP sucks there. In case you haven't noticed, we don't like Battlefield 1942 and there is nothing you can do about it. smile.gif

Mustang60348 Ralph spoke, you ignored him. For the next 24 hours you will be unable to post about anything, whether Opf or BF1942, when those 24 hours are up if you still wish to use this forum for Opf related matters then PM me and I will return your posting rights.

I would suggest that if this thread is to remain open the discussion leans away from what other games are out there and instead focuses on Opf itself, after all that's really what the question is about smile.gif

I reckon that OPF is dropping in popularity at the moment, it's past it's prime time for now, but when OPF 2 comes out (it's obvious that there will be no more expansion packs, the next step is flashpoint v2.0) it will soar in popularity. The reason is that OPF gives you much more freedom that most games - the ability to run all around the map as opposed to a restricted area, the ability to get in vehicles etc, and the fact that is has the mission editor - it's almost impossible to get bored with it.

(sorry if people have said this before, but I haven't bothered to read the whole topic.)

so we cantalk about BF1942 Rocking and OFP dying? that sux *snaps fingers* I too have been oplaying OFP for over a year but its getting old sad.gif even reistance looks dry....

Well OFP is not dying for me for the following reasons,

1. I was playing in Stoners house of pancakes with 30 players with little lag, and with the next patch it should improve MP gaming. - Note stoners house of pancakes is a US server and I am in the UK.

2. With O2 now available it is allowing for new ideas.

3. New missions, new missions are always coming out for the community to play.

4. I haven't got bored with it once in over a year.

RED

I used to play at stoners to had 300ping and it didnt lag, ofp is the most lag friendly game ive had, now my adsl is fecked up and i get pings over 1000 to anything overseas (im in NZ) but i jumped on stoners with a 1200ms ping and yet even tho i was laggin and dysynced it didnt look to bad choppers wernt warping and stuff but with a ping like that in another game u cant even move. But the problem is JIP so getting enough ppl on other servers is hard, so most servers end up empty and ppl flock to just one, ppl say ofps gettin old well that cs game is old and offers far less things than ofp, one previewer of orginal ofp went so far as to say if they get the mp right its a cs killa for sure. And as for this bf1942 even one of its fanboys which baned me on a rtcw irc channel for sayin i dont like it is gettin board of it.

Well for me it will never leave my HDD (Except for when I do my annual reformat). i have been waiting all my gaming life for a game like ofp, and apart from a few very minor details. ( i would have liked to have a more persoanal touch in the camp, like medals for exceptional performaces etc)

with o2 being released i have already gotten it and witn my cadd skills I am working on getting my head around it.

Not barely a day goes past and something is released for ofp. Thats amazing for a game of its age.

It will live on , maybe a small community but it will be a dedicated one , just look at EAW , still going strong after how many years.

Good games are like fine wine , they just get better with age. smile.gif

I think the next step for OFP, for it to break out and be a huge success, will be in the multiplayer sector. Right now, we have one of the best setups for any game out there- mapmakers designs are only limited by their skill and their imagination.

Now, if OFP 2 takes MP to the next level- huge multiplayer games (60+ per server), more incentive to work like a team, and of course tons and tons of new vehicles, weapons, and islands (maybe have 2 or 3 big islands for single player, and 5 or 6 half as large islands for smoother multiplayer- all official, of course), a refined ingame VON, and maybe an SDK for modmakers- I can see OFP 2 being the next Half-Life, with total conversion mods making the game a household name years after its release. That is where I see OFP's future going, if it can avoid an early death.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 25 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, if OFP 2 takes MP to the next level- huge multiplayer games (60+ per server)<span id='postcolor'>

Whys it have to be ofp2 that would be years away, we've got ofp now all it needs is a few small changes manily JIP the most i think u can get on a dedicated server is 66 as it sez in server browser when no map is slected, each new patch has brought new features and abilityies bringing us closer to 2.0, will the 2.0 patch if it comes be ofp2?

games with JIP: no real terrain change data to transmit for newly joining players.

OFP: has plenty of terrain change data. and transmitting them would be a LONG procedure.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP: has plenty of terrain change data. and transmitting them would be a LONG procedure.<span id='postcolor'>

Terrain change data?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Sep. 25 2002,05:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP: has plenty of terrain change data. and transmitting them would be a LONG procedure.<span id='postcolor'>

Terrain change data?<span id='postcolor'>

running over trees.....usually when i drive tanks, i run over trees.....

i belive a game called red faction had JIP and it had changing levels, but how much data whould 20 nocked over trees take up or 100 for that matter, and what about planetside thats gona have JIP and what about its landscapes from what ive seen its big.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 25 2002,05:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whys it have to be ofp2 that would be years away, we've got ofp now all it needs is a few small changes manily JIP the most i think u can get on a dedicated server is 66 as it sez in server browser when no map is slected, each new patch has brought new features and abilityies bringing us closer to 2.0, will the 2.0 patch if it comes be ofp2?<span id='postcolor'>

OFP cannot handle over 40 people on a server without serious lag even on the best servers- take that to the bank.

As for JIP, I've said it before, I dont really care, but it is not feasible with the current engine. I mean Christ, the netcode can barely handle OFP the way it is- think if a server had to upload the status of a map to every single player that decides to join up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 25 2002,05:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i belive a game called red faction had JIP and it had changing levels, but how much data whould 20 nocked over trees take up or 100 for that matter, and what about planetside thats gona have JIP and what about its landscapes from what ive seen its big.<span id='postcolor'>

plus all those brown craters, bullet holes, destroyed houses, etc etc etc.... and problem is that for big islands, you have to check data for every objects.

checking status of all objects: number of all objects

transmitting data of the objects: number of all destroyed objects.

First one, is needed since we don't know where on island there might be destructions.

Seocnd one, i'm giving benefit of generalization since, we are assuming that no operation is needed to pick out destroyed objects and replacement there of.

if we add those two assumptions to be false, then amount of computation is greater. which menas loading time for newly joined would be longer.

i never played that red faction, but since i'm not interested, maybe it's JIP was not good tounge.gif

I think one thing holding ofp back, especially with ofp:R, is that it needs an uber computer to play it without "resource lag".

Alot of gamers are still running sub 1ghz cpus, and even less than 500mhz. I will keep playing it till i experience everything it can offer, and that wont come even close to happening unitl im running at least 3.5 ghz cpu ect (using 1ghz at moment). So alot a folks just cant play it a comfy level, unless they turn down everything to the point of it looking very ugly (i once saw it run on a 500mhz celeron, with 16mb onboard intel video (lol), it looked so incredibly bad that only the hardest of hardcore could possibly enjoy it at that level.)

It will be a while till home pcs can play with max units, max view, max resoultion, max terrain, with smooth gameplay, so it still has alot of undiscovered potential. In a year or so it will be like a new game (eg CE3, Invasion1944, Operation Vietnam).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

plus all those brown craters, bullet holes, destroyed houses, etc etc etc.... and problem is that for big islands, you have to check data for every objects.

checking status of all objects: number of all objects

transmitting data of the objects: number of all destroyed objects.

First one, is needed since we don't know where on island there might be destructions.

Seocnd one, i'm giving benefit of generalization since, we are assuming that no operation is needed to pick out destroyed objects and replacement there of.

if we add those two assumptions to be false, then amount of computation is greater. which menas loading time for newly joined would be longer.

<span id='postcolor'>

Im sure they wouldnt make it so they would update u one every single thing, the map allready has the position of all the trees buildings etc, it would jus have to update the affected stuff, updating what objects placed by the mission maker and dammage level is very small round 20kb i would assume from what ive tested in mission editor, craters would be ignored since they dissapear, in all your not looking at too much of an update, and with 40players laggin the server thats not net code thats just the server strugglin when we get the linux server stuff it mite help a bit but im not sayin every game would be a 66ppl one im jus sayin if the server can get 66ppl if its got the goods. But where not argue can it be added cause none of us knows the BIS guys probly will, but the argument for us is should it, sum say ofp will become popular and be overrun with smakturds, But theres a seperate thread for this in off topic forum sumwhere.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im sure they wouldnt make it so they would update u one every single thing, the map allready has the position of all the trees buildings etc, updating what objects placed by the mission maker and dammage level is very small round 20kb i would assume from what ive tested in mission editor, craters would be ignored since they dissapear, in all your not looking at too much of an update, and with 40players laggin the server thats not net code thats just the server strugglin when we get the linux server stuff it mite help a bit but im not sayin every game would be a 66ppl one im jus sayin if the server can get 66ppl if its got the goods.<span id='postcolor'>

ok. islands are big chink of files. why? cause they have that much data. 3 megs for Everon. and checking all those data means CPU would be taking so much work. and transmisison of such data is not to be taken easily.

even if we have linux server, it won't help that much.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> But where not argue can it be added cause none of us knows the BIS guys probly will, but the argument for us is should it, sum say ofp will become popular and be overrun with smakturds, But theres a seperate thread for this in off topic forum sumwhere.

<span id='postcolor'>

and you keep bringing it up here wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> But where not argue can it be added cause none of us knows the BIS guys probly will, but the argument for us is should it, sum say ofp will become popular and be overrun with smakturds, But theres a seperate thread for this in off topic forum sumwhere.

<span id='postcolor'>

and you keep bringing it up here wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

u wanna take dis out side mad.gif *grabs trout and heads to irc biggrin.gif

For me, OFP isn't dead at all!

I'm a sworn single-player - I don't like the idea of multiplayer at all and so there's nothing comparable to the "OFP-Experience" ™  for me! wink.gif

Just yesterday I continued OFP:R after a little pausing (had to play Mafia from one end to the other) and again I was amazed how fast this game sucked me in with it's great atmosphere .

Of course I'll hope that there's a "OFP 2" on the horizon with better graphics (just look at the processorpower now and when OFP came out! There's much more possible today.) but I think, OFP in it's first version is a great game too that doesn't leave too many whishes open for me. Just look at people who still enjoy Falcon 4 or Panzer Elite. Though their graphics and physics-engine may not be state-of-art they're still alive and kickin'!

To add my two cents to the OFP/BF1942 discussion: As a single-player I was really disappointed when I realized, that the singleplayer-part of BF1942 is nothing more than a training camp for MP! The so called "singleplayer campaign" doesn't deserve it's name, the bots have only AS (Artificial Stupidity) and there's no commanding troops and strategic planning at all! I had hoped that BF1942 would replace OFP for me, but no - it shouldn't be! As a multiplayergame BF1942 will be what the players make of it! Perhaps there will be clans who try to play as realistic and strategic as possible - I'm sure, the Game hasn't to be played in "arcademode" but it all depends on the people you play with.

The Future of OFP?

I don't even know if there'll be OFP2 or if IL will ever see the light of day but if BIS keep on developing the idea behind OFP, it could become kind of a "standard infantry simulator" like the MS Flightsimulator! Just let hope that BIS will keep their great support with patches and so on - not like MS who tell you to buy the next version where the bugs from the former one will be removed ...  mad.gif

Anyway, I want to thank BIS for their great game and support and Codemasters as a publisher for making this all possible!

Bye,

-Vic-

In my country more and more people on the dutch forums are asking "whem the game is going to be released?", "where can i get it", or "i havent played that for a long time, so many addons coming out, witch patches must i dl". For me the good mission editor, the freedom for ofp, resisrance and the great communety(thank you all) makes ofp my favorite game

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Sep. 08 2002,03:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">don't start shouting that OFP is gonna live forever and shit like that, you know it is not true, and no matter how much I love OFP you just cannot hide from those obvious facts.<span id='postcolor'>

Man that's pretty dramatic smile.gifwink.gif

Anyway, i don't play ofp anymore, haven't played it for a loooong time. I never play games for a long time, the only game that i've played for a long time is Delta Force 2.

I sometimes go to a friend and play some BF1942 on LAN with him. I never tried to play OFP online, perhaps that's why i stopped playing it so fast. I often feel sorry that i sold the game (especially when i look at the pics in the Stunt thread in Offtopic).

Every game dies, OFP is a great game but because it's a hard game it obviously doesn't score very well with (often) younger ppl that like to play games like rtcw, cs, etc.

So it has a lot less (online) succes than less realistic games...

I voted for the 2nd thing!

It doesn't strike you as strange that you don't even have the game yet you still post on the forums?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,17:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Sep. 25 2002,05:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP: has plenty of terrain change data. and transmitting them would be a LONG procedure.<span id='postcolor'>

Terrain change data?<span id='postcolor'>

running over trees.....usually when i drive tanks, i run over trees.....<span id='postcolor'>

I have voiced my view of that mindless destruction of trees to my local green party, expect vist shortly.