Sign in to follow this  
Antichrist

Ofp is dead?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ Sep. 11 2002,06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 11 2002,06:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ Sep. 11 2002,06:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BF1942 is not a game for us. It is a game for people that like Quake and other similar games. I'm pretty sure that developers of this game did the best they could. You guys have no right to say that it sucks. I just don't like the game, and you guys don't like the game, but that doesn't mean that it sucks. Operation Flashpoint is the game for us. BF1942 is just not the right game for us. It is obious that BIS spent much more time on this game, but BF1942 still doesn't suck because of that. It's a great game for younger population. You can't expect that everyone will play OFP. It is just too hard and too realistic at times for some people.

OFP is the only realistic war game. And that's something i always wanted. I'm pretty sure that BIS will make another great game like Operation Flashpoint with better graphic and better netcode. I would really like to see that. They really are great developers and i like this community. Younger population can get really annoying.

And guys please. Stop this flaming.<span id='postcolor'>

see, youre right on all points except that it does suck- If I was on the dev team, I would return my paycheck to EA, and then maybe kill myself to preserve my honor.<span id='postcolor'>

Afcourse. You don't like the game. That's why it sucks. I don't like BF1942 either. That's just how it is. It seems that Mustang doesn't like OFP. Well, he is in the wrong forum. Just ignore his posts. It's the best thing to do.<span id='postcolor'>

Can you please post a URL link where I said I don't like OFP, OFP is a great game...One of the (if not THE) best ever but as you said ....SOME people don't like BF1942, and therefore it sucks..unfort from the comments in this forum, it appears that this opinion is an ignorant one, IOW comes from lack of knowledge about the game...

Mustang, from your lack of knowledge, you showed that you are not an OFP player. how could you not know that famous place in screenshot?

seems like you are one of those bf1942 noobs who think it is great and can't stand the truth that OFP still stands out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 11 2002,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mustang, from your lack of knowledge, you showed that you are not an OFP player. how could you not know that famous place in screenshot?

seems like you are one of those bf1942 noobs who think it is great and can't stand the truth that OFP still stands out.<span id='postcolor'>

How do you know that I don't know that famous place in OFP. There was no discussion of it being a famous place...it was about the quality of the graphics

AND btw I think that OFP is one if not the greatest games in the fps genre, it has been ground breaking in many ways, BUT IMHO graphics are not one of them, and if you bother to go back and check , I entered this thread to correct misinformation about another game (BF1942) including but no limited to its dev cycle etc etc

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 @ Sep. 11 2002,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 11 2002,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mustang, from your lack of knowledge, you showed that you are not an OFP player. how could you not know that famous place in screenshot?

seems like you are one of those bf1942 noobs who think it is great and can't stand the truth that OFP still stands out.<span id='postcolor'>

How do you know that I don't know that famous place in OFP. There was no discussion of it being a famous place...it was about the quality of the graphics

AND btw I think that OFP is one if not the greatest games in the fps genre, it has been ground breaking in many ways, BUT IMHO graphics are not one of them, and if you bother to go back and check , I entered this thread to correct misinformation about another game (BF1942) including but no limited to its dev cycle etc etc<span id='postcolor'>

About that screenshot. It was normal graphics, no more no less. These are taken directly from my system (only resized). I run Resistance at 1600x1200 with a viewdistance of 1700. My system is a 1.3 GHz with a Geforce3 graphics card and 512 MB memory. A moderate system, that is:

ofp1.jpg

ofp2.jpg

ofp3.jpg

The quality of graphics in a game is limited by two factors:

1) Polygon count for the models

2) Texture size for the models

Ofp has no limit for the first and has support for textures as large as 4096x4096 pixels!

It amazes me that the same people who would complain about the graphics would be the same ones who would complain if the viewdistance was locked at 500. Some people just do not get the trade off. You can't have incredible hi-res textures with really delicate alpha channels, have a realistically populated world chock full of everything you see around you in an everyday setting AND have viewdistances of 3000 or so. I think the graphics are fine as they are. I'd rather have the large islands with quite a bit of flora and small towns over having a super detailed 500m x 500m "map" like other well known FPS's.

You can always "upgrade" OFP. The way it is now, this game could be updated and mod'd for a long time. It's expandability is the key to it's future longivity.

Ebud

Denior, can you normally play the game at 4xAA (that would be pretty much impossible), 2x (or 4x, 8x) anistropy, adjusted MipMap LOD bias and with high resolution textures.

I would also like to see your settings in the game (Frame rate, visual quality).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ Sep. 11 2002,22:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denior, can you normally play the game at 4xAA (that would be pretty much impossible), 2x (or 4x, 8x) anistropy, adjusted MipMap LOD bias and with high resolution textures.

I would also like to see your settings in the game (Frame rate, visual quality).<span id='postcolor'>

Quincunx Antialiasing.

1600x1200x32 res/col.

---------

Full Effects/lights.

All 2048x2048 textures.

Auto-dropdown: 4x

Max objects 256

Objects LOD 0.019

Shadows LOD: 0.050

---------------------

Full framerate

Full graphics quality

HW T&L, Multitexturing, Object shadows, Vehicle shadows,

Cloudlets, Blood

Terrain Detail: Normal

Visibility: 1758

----------------------

I get very good framerates with this configuration.

WHAT....HOW....WHO.....WHY?confused.gif

This game is not dying at all. I bought so many games in the meantime and consumed them like Fastfood. SOF2; Wolfenstein, CIVIII, Neverwinter Nights, Global Operations, Medal of Honour... none of those kept me entertained for more than 2 months. But of OFP is like PacMan and Tetris, it is not gonna die that quickly!

We all know which games are made to gain money, which are made to please everyone, which are trying to convince with "new innovative" engines. OFP is the Hippy of all games, the seventies of the gaming-age, cause only on those maps you got the freedom to do whatever you feel like. Even if you just want run around naked in the forests of Everon! tounge.gif

All I can say is that I still play Falcon 4 and that was created many years ago. It is still the best F-16 sim out.

With that said. I think OFP will be the same. In time the fan base will shrink, but the true fans (like myself) will continue to play. Now I admit it may not be the origional Cold War Crisis, but it will be some form of OFP. I will just play what I find to be the best in OFP biggrin.gif Im an oddball I guess, since I seem to be the only one that loves Red Hammer campagn missions.

Anyway, OFP will live a long time (many years) before it goeas away. When it does, it will most likely be to another OFP related game ie OFP2 or something.

<S>

Booky

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 @ Sep. 11 2002,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 11 2002,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mustang, from your lack of knowledge, you showed that you are not an OFP player. how could you not know that famous place in screenshot?

AND btw I think that OFP is one if not the greatest games in the fps genre, it has been ground breaking in many ways, BUT IMHO graphics are not one of them, and if you bother to go back and check , I entered this thread to correct misinformation about another game (BF1942) including but no limited to its dev cycle etc etc<span id='postcolor'>

here's your statement(without the picture in another quote):

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

AND yes I think that the graphics in BF1942 are MUCH better AND btw, just a quick question or two: Is everything turn up to max, is this resistance or original OFP and IF it is turned up to max and it is resistance What are your fps <span id='postcolor'>

look at bolded part. you obviously don't know what you are talking about. if you had some OFP experience, you'd not ask such stupid question.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 12 2002,11:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ Sep. 11 2002,22:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denior, can you normally play the game at 4xAA (that would be pretty much impossible), 2x (or 4x, 8x) anistropy, adjusted MipMap LOD bias and with high resolution textures.

I would also like to see your settings in the game (Frame rate, visual quality).<span id='postcolor'>

Quincunx Antialiasing.

1600x1200x32 res/col.

---------

Full Effects/lights.

All 2048x2048 textures.

Auto-dropdown: 4x

Max objects 256

Objects LOD 0.019

Shadows LOD: 0.050

---------------------

Full framerate

Full graphics quality

HW T&L, Multitexturing, Object shadows, Vehicle shadows,

Cloudlets, Blood

Terrain Detail: Normal

Visibility: 1758

----------------------

I get very good framerates with this configuration.<span id='postcolor'>

your view distance is 1758 in bf1942 ive got it set at 200, thats much higher than default which is like 100m now if u run ofp at that viewdistance u can get very high frames. I have 850mhz Duron 64meh gf4mx T&L view distance 900m, mostly set at max textures frame rate set 15 and its very playable and im near min specs. Im getting 2000xp soon *acts like hes got ants in his pants*.

Now that's graphic lol:

091120026200423.jpg

091120026203955.jpg

091120026200349.jpg

091120026200277.jpg

091120026200146.jpg

091120026195942.jpg

091120026195812.jpg

091120026155823.jpg

091120026155749.jpg

091120026155529.jpg

091120026155497.jpg

091120026155335.jpg

091120026155246.jpg

AMD Athlon XP2200+

1gb of RDRAM

GF4 ti 4600

4xS FSAA

4x Anistropy

1152x864x32

all textures at 4092x4092

Object LOd: 0.005

Shadows LOd: 0.005

everything else at max.

Full Visual Quality

8.20 Frame Rate (Low frame rate is better)

Terrain detail: High

view distance: 1825m

Hi Mustang60348

All this talk about BF1942.

How many companies can the player control in battle? How do you go about inserting waypoints in game for them?

So far I am up to my first battalion control mission in OFP I guess that will be the max for OFP1 (OFP2 who knows)

Light Air Cavalry Battalion comprising:

1 Inf Company 145 troops 3 x 5 section platoons.

1 Company Helicopter transport; 20 Helicopters (15 x Black Hawk and 5 x Chinook.)

1 Air Assault Company 16 copters(8 x AH64 and 8 x OH58)

1 CHH headquaters platoon 58 troops comprising:

Colnels OH58, 1 Chinook and HQ protection section,

1 weapons section AA and AT,

1 mortar section,

1 Special forces section,

1 engineers Section,

1 Medical Section

Machine

633mhz celeron

256 mb

64mb GForce 2MX

2GB left on the hard Drive (May influence swap file space)

Perfectly playable.

How many units can you have in battle in BF1942?

Kind Regards Walker

sounds like it would be a good mission... just fitting all those units on the island would be a problem wouldnt it? and laggy at times if theres alot of units on screen?

Hi Acidcrash

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash Sep. 12 2002 @ 13:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sounds like it would be a good mission... just fitting all those units on the island would be a problem wouldnt it? and laggy at times if theres alot of units on screen?<span id='postcolor'>

The OFP Islands are about the area covered by a battalion.

There is Lag but it is acceptable and not all the time. It only realy occurs if all the troops and copters are in very close proximity. Which as you are conducting a battalion level mission they are not.

I have not noticed any more lag than in BS06. Check my machine specs they are low so I think I would notice.

The real problem at the mo is air trafic control. With that many copters you have to construct a flight plan in waypoints for all the teams its like choreographing an areal ballet.

The planning stage for opening up a breach in frontline air defences them maintaining the air corridor is quite complex.

Then there is the process of scheduling the LZ aproaches for the transport company.

Then deploy the infantry company for LZ defence set company HQ, prepare for the enemy counter attacks, conduct raids on enemy bases, set up spec ops road watches to act as FO for destroying supply convoys. Hunt down and destroy the enemy artilery (wish I could do this without an Addon sad.gif )

My original idea for time to play the whole mission was 48 hours real time I have revised this upwards.

Kind Regards walker

Isn't BF1942 coming out today in the stores? I feel tempted to buy it (just to see what all the fuss is bout), or maybe I'll try the demo, but I could never get a good feel for a game from the demo alone, I always need the full version to make up my mind if I like the game or not.

-=Die Alive=-

sounds very complicated, is this to be part of the battle school series?

also, how many units would it be overall? (300? 400?) just so i can get an idea of how it will run on my pc

either way, good luck with it, I like the soud of it smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ Sep. 12 2002,13:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Mustang60348

All this talk about BF1942.

How many companies can the player control in battle? How do you go about inserting waypoints in game for them?

So far I am up to my first battalion control mission in OFP I guess that will be the max for OFP1 (OFP2 who knows)

Light Air Cavalry Battalion comprising:

1 Inf Company 145 troops 3 x 5 section platoons.

1 Company Helicopter transport; 20 Helicopters (15 x Black Hawk and 5 x Chinook.)

1 Air Assault Company 16 copters(8 x AH64 and 8 x OH58)

1 CHH headquaters platoon 58 troops comprising:

Colnels OH58, 1 Chinook and HQ protection section,

1 weapons section AA and AT,

1 mortar section,

1 Special forces section,

1 engineers Section,

1 Medical Section

Machine

633mhz celeron

256 mb

64mb GForce 2MX

2GB left on the hard Drive (May influence swap file space)

Perfectly playable.

How many units can you have in battle in BF1942?

Kind Regards Walker<span id='postcolor'>

I can control up to 32 players, divided up into companies as I see fit..I can control snipers, tanks, jeeps , a fighter, light bomber and torpedo bomber. I can also control an engineer for repairing and mining and placing tnt. AND this is in the demo, since I don't have the full version yet, not sure what others will be avail..Is this what you wanted to know. As far as WAYPOINTS go, YOU have to tell them where to go on the map, NOT WAYPOINTS because there was not GPS or similar system in WWII (afaik).

Hm is this turning into an OPF vs BF 1942 thread ?

I really don`t get it why people must bash each other

over games they like and dislike .

I`ll play them both and regard myself as privilaged ( spelling )

since I like both of them unlike other people here it seems

Since this topic was (and it still should be) about OFPs popularity. I would like add that O2 is now released and that is going to boost OFP into a new level.

Hi Mustang60348

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can control up to 32 players, <span id='postcolor'>

A platoon  biggrin.gif  What section control is there? How do you set up teams can they have waypoints?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">divided up into companies as I see fit..I can control snipers, tanks, jeeps , a fighter, light bomber and torpedo bomber. <span id='postcolor'> 32 Troops is a platoon  wink.gif  not a company a company is 90 to 200 troops max usualy it is around 100. So you can have 32 aircraft under your control bit hard to see how you can cotrol them without a waypoint system. Would they all be in one big squadron?  sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can also control an engineer for repairing and mining and placing tnt. AND this is in the demo, since I don't have the full version yet, not sure what others will be avail..Is this what you wanted to know. <span id='postcolor'> Yep the engineer is nice. We have scripts to do this in OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as WAYPOINTS go, YOU have to tell them where to go on the map, NOT WAYPOINTS because there was not GPS or similar system in WWII (afaik). <span id='postcolor'>

Waypoints were not invented with GPS biggrin.gif They have existed since pre Napolionic days they are just pencil marks on a map telling the section / platoon / company / Brigade etc where to go and what to do when they get there and how they should travel on the way  wink.gif

I suppose you have never been exposed to a real map and compass so would not know this. I would not place all your trust in Magellan and other GPS systems if you navigate. its better to learn how to map read properly batterys run out and solar power dont work at night.  wink.gif

What map marking system does BF 1942 use? I hope they are the system used by the American, British and German armies then their maps were superbly detailed. The D Day maps have arcs of fire, full attendant range cards, primary secondary and tertiary objectives With The Chain of Command Mod we are adding these features to OFP.

How do you order up artilery is it with proper timed stonks etc?

Hope I am not asking too many questions because i have a few more. biggrin.gif

Kind regards Walker

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ Sep. 12 2002,22:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Mustang60348

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can control up to 32 players, <span id='postcolor'>

A platoon  biggrin.gif  What section control is there? How do you set up teams can they have waypoints?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">divided up into companies as I see fit..I can control snipers, tanks, jeeps , a fighter, light bomber and torpedo bomber. <span id='postcolor'> 32 Troops is a platoon  wink.gif  not a company a company is 90 to 200 troops max usualy it is around 100. So you can have 32 aircraft under your control bit hard to see how you can cotrol them without a waypoint system. Would they all be in one big squadron?  sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can also control an engineer for repairing and mining and placing tnt. AND this is in the demo, since I don't have the full version yet, not sure what others will be avail..Is this what you wanted to know. <span id='postcolor'> Yep the engineer is nice. We have scripts to do this in OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as WAYPOINTS go, YOU have to tell them where to go on the map, NOT WAYPOINTS because there was not GPS or similar system in WWII (afaik). <span id='postcolor'>

Waypoints were not invented with GPS biggrin.gif They have existed since pre Napolionic days they are just pencil marks on a map telling the section / platoon / company / Brigade etc where to go and what to do when they get there and how they should travel on the way  wink.gif

I suppose you have never been exposed to a real map and compass so would not know this. I would not place all your trust in Magellan and other GPS systems if you navigate. its better to learn how to map read properly batterys run out and solar power dont work at night.  wink.gif

What map marking system does BF 1942 use? I hope they are the system used by the American, British and German armies then their maps were superbly detailed. The D Day maps have arcs of fire, full attendant range cards, primary secondary and tertiary objectives With The Chain of Command Mod we are adding these features to OFP.

How do you order up artilery is it with proper timed stonks etc?

Hope I am not asking too many questions because i have a few more. biggrin.gif

Kind regards Walker<span id='postcolor'>

You control your people by talking to them in Roger Wilco or Teamspeak, or whatever voice comms you use at the time.

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ArchangelSKT @ Sep. 12 2002,19wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hm is this turning into an OPF vs BF 1942 thread ?

I really don`t get it why people must bash each other

over games they like and dislike .

I`ll play them both and regard myself as privilaged ( spelling )

since I like both of them unlike other people here it seems<span id='postcolor'>

Actually ARK, I love playing both games...I love OFP for the editor that comes with it, I have created about 2 dozen missions so far for our clan to practise with..ONLY Original OFP though, I won't pay another $50 for ONE campaign and a few missions...called resistance...

I have also written several online tutorials for this editor along with helping with the GUNSLINGER addon, BTW, if you look in the readme , you will find my name in there. SO YES, folks I actually know alot about OFP, not resistance though.

The ONLY failing of OFP IMHO is the netcode , I have heard the RES is better but since I don't have that I can't comment. Well, not the only failing because the lack of tools (although at least O2 is out now) for making your own mods..and btw MODS not just addons....is another failing..HOPEFULLY that will be corrected soon

Hi Mustang60348

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 Sep. 13 2002 @ 00wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You control your people by talking to them in Roger Wilco or Teamspeak, or whatever voice comms you use at the time. <span id='postcolor'>

Voice controled AI via Roger Wilco or Teamspeak. I did not know Roger Wilco or Teamspeak could do that are you sure? I always thought Roger Wilco or Teamspeak were for communication between team members in MP.

Kind Regards walker