Albus

NEW PROJECT: Putting Chernarus, Takistan, etc... on one global World Map - need Help!

Hi folks, :)

I am currently working on a Project [AEU - Arma Extended Universe] that aims to project all available playable geographical regions of Arma2 OA and Arma 3 at their respective hypothetical places on one world map (like Google Maps and available for download to use for everyone for briefings etc...). I would love to do that in the style of the already available Maps of Chernarus and Takistan from Fingolfin available 3 years ago. I also hope to get the help of Fingolfin in this regard.

[Picture and links will be provided later due to restrictions for new users]

Therefore i need first of all your help :bounce3:: Where do you think are the Maps of Arma located :confused: ? I would like you to answer in an orderly fashion that i can see the different proposals and i will give an update at the end of the week. Please include in your reply:

1: Name of the Map

2: Where you think the Map is located OR which country it resembles OR it should be next to.

3: Google Maps Link where you think it should be

4: Your comment AND OR questions

I hope you like the idea of creating one worldmap and the discussion where the maps and ARMA islands "could fit"...

Cheers

Albus

Edited by Albus

With my knowledge of map making, this concept seems extremely hard to impossible. However Visitor 4 might change that.

Hi Patrick,

I remind you that i dont want to rebuild or connect or fuse playable maps.... i want to create a geographical map to look at - not to play at!

I hope that clarifies that... its kind of a meta map like google maps..

Cheers Albus

According to the bis wiki Sahrani is at 39° 57' 0" N / 40° 1' 12" W. It also says the nearest NATO base to Malden is in Estonia, which would put the entire Island chain somewhere in the Baltic sea... which doesn't really make sense to me, given the differences in terrain between the islands and tactics used during the CWC campaign, I would have placed them somewhere in the Atlantic as well.

The green sea region is likely based off the black sea region, BIS released this map showing the relative positions of Chernarus, Takistan and the other two nations we don't really know anything about.

I would put Chernarus/Takistan somewhere at the caspian sea.

Here https://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.920587,48.050766&num=1&t=h&z=6 or here https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.317232,49.558468&num=1&t=h&z=8

Geographically this are the only places with a coastline from southwest to northeast. Political Georgia and Cechnya is very close and would make sense as well.

For positioning the maps into the area this map will surely help: http://imgur.com/xQB4hdZ

Edit: For ArmA 3 the position of Altis and Stratis shouldnt be difficult :)

Edit2: As BiggerDave already found out, the Bis Wiki gives valuable informations:

Arma0:

Malden:

• Malden is the southernmost island of the group.
  • Malden was a stop off point for seafarers and Russian fishermen.
  • The nearest major NATO base is Estonia
  • Topography of Malden is based on the Greek island of Lefkas in the Ionian sea.
  • Interesting i think is that most of the city names are based on french language

Nogova: Nogova is located not far from the Malden islands, due west.

Kolgujev: Name of island is based on real island in the Barents Sea. However, the topographic map belongs to Tenerife island.

Desert Island: Topography of Desert Island is based on the Greek island of Meganisi in the Ionian sea, off the southeast coast of Lefkas/Malden.

Everon: Everon is the easternmost island in the Malden group AND Everon's landscape is based on the Croatian island of Krk (but i would not put it there, still valuable information is "easternmost island of the Malden group"

Politically i would put the island somewhere in the baltic sea or barents sea. I would prefer the barents sea as there we can have no close costlines (and still could be pretty close to estonia in terms of closest nato base).

Maybe here or even a little bit more east.

Arma1:

Rahmadi: is an island located off the southwest coast of Sahrani

Porto: Unfortunatly nothing, but i also cant remember this map?!?

Sahrani: The "real world" coordinates of Sahrani are: 39° 57' 0" N / 40° 1' 12" W, placing it in the North Atlantic Ocean

Southern Sahrani and United Sahrani: Same Position like Sahrani

Arma2:

Chernarus:

• ...castle ruins... which were built at the turn of the 11th and 12th century ... attacked from the sea and by northern neighbours. ... fter the fall of Kozlov's Principate at the beginning of the 13th century ... -> Mongolian Invasion?
  • Jakub ÄŒert burned in the castle's main tower after he refused to surrender to Ataman Simurg -> Ottoman Empire?

Takistan: History has similar dates for big changes like Chernarus.

Utes: Nothing Important

Zargabad: Nothing Important

Here it still makes the most sense to place it in the caspian seas as already proposed using this layout

Arma3:

Couldn't find any articles, still: Altis and Stratis

Edited by De_little_Bubi

Chernarus is based off an area of the Czech Republic. That's about what i've come to.

Chernarus is based off an area of the Czech Republic. That's about what i've come to.

This was said by the Developers at the time of Arma2 was released, you might want to but Arma0 and Arma0/OFP as that was most members know it as.

Please forgive the MASSIVE amount of autism you are about to read:

A few months ago my ArmA buddies and I started working on such a map to include ALL official and user made maps, and several unit / faction addons as well.

Here is a quick render that I have at the moment:

Armaverse (161 kB)

Some Notes:

- Region placed just NE of the Caspian Sea, taking out a chunk of Kazakhstan

- The notches in on the bottom right scale are for 50 km each

- Each map was drawn based on its in game dimensions

- We used the map posted by Harzach as a base to extend the rest

- Sahrani is in the Atlantic Ocean aparantly, but we put it in here just for fun

- Capraia is next to Italy, but put here for the sake of potential wars

- The creator of "Tropica" says its off the coast of East Africa, but we put it in here

- Islands / regions were grouped based on their geography and language of labels on the maps

- The Nations are all linked to specific community unit addons, The germanic ones in the east are based off Marseille77's addons, for example

- Midland Islands (Ovaron) are based off the CLSA Midland Coalition faction

- The cities of Atyrau, Qarauba, Zhanibek, and Saykhin are reak Kazakh cities. Use them for Geolocation reference.

- We are lacking some great user-made places such as Vietnam, Tanziania, Kellu, etc. because we couldnt really fit them in an autistically pleasing way.

Feel free to use any of these ideas for your project

*sigh* That's not amusing, or funny, or whatever the reason was behind your use of that. The only thing you accomplish by using the word autism negatively is making yourself look like an asshole, whether you have it or not.

@Albus - Fantastic idea. What level of detail are you thinking? Something like google maps,where when you're zoomed out you see the strategic map that shows all of ArmAversum nations, but if you click on a nation it allows you to zoom down to the tactical/topographical level, for mission planning?

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6
How the hell did I misspell google?

I've been looking for something like this for ages, I'm glad it's only a week or so old and so it hasn't died off just yet. I think the next step would be to include the Aegean sea and more of the Mediterranean. I would be interested in helping a bit but you shouldn't expect too much my art skills are not that impressive!

A few months ago my ArmA buddies and I started working on such a map to include ALL official and user made maps, and several unit / faction addons as well.

Here is a quick render that I have at the moment:

Armaverse (161 kB)

No offense, really, but this is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. This map looks like it was made by a 7 year old with  no common sense and no knowledge of mapping, geography, climate, and basically how the world works.

The person who tought it was a good idea to put an island with tundra climate on a lake within 5 degrees longitute of a tropical map and a desert is downright retarded. Fictional or not, none of these maps will ever be even on the same hemisphere becasuse of climate.

Also, Chernarus and Takistan, that is - ignoring the fact that their climates will never, ever let them be even 1000 km close to each other, let alone having common borders, are put together on a large enclosed sea (gee i wonder how the aircraft carrier in ArmA2 got to Utes, maybe it flew over the Urals),and are placed in the exact location where the largest motherf*cking Delta in Europe is located, which is basically a huge friggin swamp, meaning NWAF or Rasman should be under 5 feet of water.

I mean, every little detail about this map is just completely wrong. Not even a single one of these maps belongs there. Not one.

Again, i undestand all these are fictional but, kids, please. This is ArmA, not the Avengers, please learn about the laws of physics.

• Haha 1