Sign in to follow this  
Psycho5553

Google Sketchup To arma 3?

The title says it all. I really need help with it. i dont find an solution. please say step by step what i should do. im trying to convert an building

You need Sketchup Pro, it can export 3ds format which can be imported to Oxygen.

i would recommend not using sketchup for anything that is related to game engines. I will not enumerate here all the reasons, but the mains one would be the lack of UVW editor, the lack of tools to properly control the topolgy, as well as the fact that is duplicates some faces for no reason at all. You can use sketchup models for reference and/or base for your own retopology process, but other than that, 99% of them are pure shit when it comes to real time engines just like RV.

but if for one reason or another you feel you really need to end up with a headache:

A. you will need to export the 3d mesh in .dae format (sketch-up free) and import into a proper 3d modelling (blender is free). Do the clean up, then export again as .3ds or .obj so that you can import it in O2.

If you own sketchup pro, you can export to wider number of file formats, including .3ds and .obj file formats that you will be able to import directly into O2.

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/import-google-sketchup-kmz-models.php

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Data_System/Files/Import/COLLADA#The_Collada_Importer

B. Some software import .skp files directly. I am sure 3dsmax does it (v2011 onwards), as well as modo IRC. I am uncertain of others, but i am sure there are more. Use one of software, trial or edu/non-commercial version (you'll need to spare of some cash in some cases) and then follow the above steps.

After you got your 3d mesh in O2, just follow the existing tutorials for setting it up, unwrapping (might wanna do it in a proper software, outside O2), etc

Edited by PuFu

I use the Sketchup (free) to Blender method for my Supreme Ruler meshes, however PuFu is right, although you can configure the export to get rid of most of it, but it will still randomly break the model into lots of different ones even if you export it as a group. Its not an issue if your only exporting single parts and then plan on reassembling it in blender though.

I'm a year late, but I hope I can get a reply from someone...

I've started to model my first building for arma 3 with sketchup http://i.imgur.com/Btg5tYA.jpg

There are several errors I'm facing, first off...it wasn't all correctly UVmapped I guess. Only half the building was textured once I imported it from either an FBX or OBJ format from sketchup. The other half was incorrectly inverted but I fixed that by selecting faces and pressing W.

Does anyone know how I could texture the other half? Object Builder really sucks at texturing, when I try to texture the outside wall the proportions aren't right and the texture is really tiny.

Also, another error I've ran into with this building and a few other objects are when you get close to the model a texture will become heavily tented BLUE. Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks,

Tal

Dan;2615600']I use the Sketchup (free) to Blender method for my Supreme Ruler meshes' date=' however PuFu is right, although you can configure the export to get rid of most of it, but it will still randomly break the model into lots of different ones even if you export it as a group. Its not an issue if your only exporting single parts and then plan on reassembling it in blender though.[/quote']

Is it possible to classify all the parts as a single mesh...or something like that?

EDIT: I realize I should have made this post an edit to my original one, my apologies.

Is it possible to classify all the parts as a single mesh...or something like that?

EDIT: I realize I should have made this post an edit to my original one, my apologies.

I have given up using Sketchup because it was a PITA for the models and learnt how to use Blender fully instead to make my models, nothing for Arma yet as I still suck at texturing, even by SR's low standards.

Dan;2878905']I have given up using Sketchup because it was a PITA for the models and learnt how to use Blender fully instead to make my models' date=' nothing for Arma yet as I still suck at texturing, even by SR's low standards.[/quote']

That sucks, thanks anyways!

Google Sketchup, damn son you in the wrong department. Lol!

On a serious note, as suggested before, use Blender it's becoming more and more powerful and is perfectly capable when compared to the giants such as Maya and 3DSMax.

Good luck with your endeavors!