Sign in to follow this  
marcai

Pet Peeves of A3

Gotta be the IA driving - 21st century tanks owned by a shed

Not able to move and change weapon

Oh lord please let them fix this one day!

Odd enough this game has the focus on infantry and this slipped through. After all..why can i reload moving and not flip up my hand gun in a split second?

Totally kills the fluid gameplay for me.

Oh lord please let them fix this one day!

Odd enough this game has the focus on infantry and this slipped through. After all..why can i reload moving and not flip up my hand gun in a split second?

Totally kills the fluid gameplay for me.

A game focused on infantry with no suppression effects.

A game focused on infantry with no weapon resting or working bi-pods.

A game focused on infantry with insta-throw hand grenades.

A game focused on infantry with no injury system.

A game focused on infantry with no proper weapon recoil values.

This game is a lot of cool things, but infantry focus is NOT apart of it (not directed at you in particular sxep).

The fact that this game exists in this sorry of a state and is considered "full release"

Actually, I do agree that this is a legit pet peeve.

There is a great video rant on ARMA's action menu by Dslyecxi, but instead of linking to it...

The action menu is the stupidest thing in any game I have ever seen. There, I said it.

Our FOB is getting torn apart by a massive enemy counter-attack. My crew rushes to the tanks and sprints up to our Slammer. In the distance I see an insurgent setting up a guided missile launcher. Our only chance is to get in the tank and kill him before he takes us out. I clearly see a hatch on the right-top of our tank and I go to that side. Since I'm the junior in the crew, I am supposed to go as Driver. But when I look up at the hatch while standing next to the tank, I can only mount up as Gunner or Commander. The senior member of the crew tells me to get to the other side. "This is ARMA -- don't you know that tank drivers have to get in on the left side of the vehicle!?" I run to the front left and look up at the hatch but I still can't get in. "THE BACK LEFT SIDE, SERIOUSLY!!!" I sigh with relief when I finally see Get in Slammer as Driver. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to be happy because the enemy soldier has fired his weapon at our tank and our Driver and Gunner are lying dead next to the destroyed Slammer.

Insurgents are overrunning my position! I'm the last man standing and all eyes are on me!! I just shot through my last M4 magazine!!! I drop my rifle to the sling and grab for my pistol and...whip out a pair of binoculars? Now I have to slowly place my binoculars back in their place, go through a few seconds of a clunky waiting time once it's done, just to finally be able to pull out my pistol after struggling to find "Weapon M9" in the list that's cluttered with Open Door, Lower Headset, Mission Generator, etc. Once I get my pistol out, I start pumping rounds into the enemy soldiers as they rush into the building but...oh wait, this is ARMA3 so ten rounds from my 9mil pistol to center mass don't really do anything and I die. Okay.

A teammate lays down suppressive fire with his 249 on a nearby house filled with insurgents as a buddy and I rush across the street and stack up to clear a building. Rounds start tearing through the wall next to us and we have no choice but to immediately begin the breach and get inside before we are shredded by machine gun fire. "BREACHING, BREACHING," is shouted as I reach for the handle of the first door (there are two near each other) and hit Open Door in the scroll menu. Nothing happens. I swing around and fire a volley of rounds towards the guy shooting at us while we desperately try to get inside. Is it lag? Is it a bug? Is the door locked? Does ARMA hate us (the answer is always yes)? The rest of our fireteam has swept down the street and pushed back the insurgents, so all is calm. Finally we give up and decide to try the door next to us, which we haven't really paid attention to since we've been in a firefight. Strangely, it's open. We look around for any enemy soldiers who could have gone through it during the action. After all, I'm positive the door wasn't like that when we stacked up. Suddenly I see Close Door when I look at the first closed door and hit it. The second door closes. While looking at the first door, I hit Open Door again. The second door opens. Brilliant.

You have just summarised my Arma 3 experience ... future setting with prehistoric UI! ... not to mention troglodyte AI (just pretend I didn't mention it, okay)

Edited by Gattobuono

A game focused on infantry with no suppression effects.

A game focused on infantry with no weapon resting or working bi-pods.

A game focused on infantry with insta-throw hand grenades.

A game focused on infantry with no injury system.

A game focused on infantry with no proper weapon recoil values.

This game is a lot of cool things, but infantry focus is NOT apart of it (not directed at you in particular sxep).

THIS

Add

A game focused on infantry with a broken body armor system.

A game focused on infantry without proper reactions to beeing hit.

THIS

Add

A game focused on infantry with a broken body armor system.

A game focused on infantry without proper reactions to beeing hit.

Add

A game focused on infantry with insta-zip inertia-less movement.

a game focused on infantry with botched CQB due to lack of weapon collision, making a heavy machine gun the best CQB weapon available

You know what? We´ll collect that stuff in a nice list and post it where they have to see it.

You know what? We´ll collect that stuff in a nice list and post it where they have to see it.

Theoretically, that should be right here :-)

Theoretically, that should be right here :-)

Or even better, the issue tracker.

Good idea. Use that in the OP:

GkARgP4.png

One of my biggest complaints:

Get a nice-sized rucksack and a chest rig. Load up several magazines in your BDUs, several in your vest, several DOZEN in your rucksack. Okay, in ARMA2 (and in real life) that would already weigh you down quite a bit. So let's grab a 240 Bravo or some other heavy weapon that should really slow us down. In real life and ARMA2, you're gonna be moving pretty slowly and getting worn out after moving much at all. ARMA3? Nope, no ill effects there. Hey, we should try packing about twenty-four 2-O-3 shells into our rucksack now. Still not even half of our capacity in ARMA3? Awesome, let's throw on a Titan rocket launcher and a couple rockets for it. That, plus our machinegun, HAS to exceed the limit and make movement way too slow and tiring. NOT EVEN 3/4 FULL IN ARMA3? This is getting crazy!

The worst part is NOT that you can carry this much -- the problem is that no matter how much gear you throw on yourself, you still move like a ninja. Some of the guys in my squad were testing a mod with me and while we waited they were spinning around on the ground prone with a full combat loadout. They were doing instant 360 turns every second. I would love to see the ARMA3 devs throw on a helmet, Camelbak, rucksack loaded with 50lbs of gear, a chest rig full of magazines, some BDUs, knee pads and arm pads, gloves, boots, and run for about a minute with a 249 SAW and 3x 200rnd box mags, a pistol, several frag grenades, a few smoke grenades, and several chemlights and strobes. Then let's see them go prone and do some 360 spins. THAT would be great.

But I already disagree with 3 (maybe 4) of the things on this list!

Edit:

In real life and ARMA2, you're gonna be moving pretty slowly and getting worn out after moving much at all.

You're thinking of ACE.

But I already disagree with 3 (maybe 4) of the things on this list!

Which ones ?

Pretty much agree on most of this, except the suppression effects. I don't really think that they'd add that much if the suppression is working well i.e. "if I move from the cover I'm residing in I will die in an almighty hail of caseless rounds."

Pretty much agree on most of this, except the suppression effects. I don't really think that they'd add that much if the suppression is working well i.e. "if I move from the cover I'm residing in I will die in an almighty hail of caseless rounds."

Suppression in this context rather means suppressing enemy AI, not human players. Suppression is a normal infantry tactic: You lay down some fire in one direction and the receivers of the bullets will definitely think twice about sticking their head out. This enables friendly units to, for example, cross areas that have been in the fire-arc of the enemy.

In Arma 3, this doesn't work, since AI does not react to bullets flying past, they will just stand there and return fire

That makes sense. I thought that suppression effects meant Project Reality-style blur so strong you can see the pixels on screen. I completely agree if it means for AI.

Yeah we should add that it is aimed at AI. They are just very careless and run out into the fire. Players don´t really need supression effects if they are smart enough to realize that they will loose their head if they stick it out.