Sign in to follow this  
marcai

Pet Peeves of A3

Well, to be fair, if it's a pet peeve, it's a pet peeve. It doesn't have to lead to a discussion of AI.

In that regard, other pet peeves of mine:

1) AI reaction to grenades

2) The rather sea-greenish "rgr" vests that used to be a much closer representation of ranger green

3) The dark ECH and FAST helmet that were originally lighter and much more olive in color

4) That certain uniforms (like the desert and what appears to be woodland versions of Iranian/CSAT uniforms) were finished in 2012 but then cut from the final game

5) That certain helmets (like the FAST helmet without comms or rail accessories) were finished in 2012 but then cut, and then re-added as unfinished models

6) That certain vests (like the crewman vest that was the light platecarrier with a shemagh around the neck) were finished in 2012 but then cut

And so on... Pretty much, my pet peeve is that finished content was cut from the game for no reason at all.

From the original post!

I'll say in advance, this isn't the thread to talk about optimisation, 'missing' features or what have you; there are already plenty of threads for those.

A nice, civil thread where we don't have take everything as life-or-death serious would be great!

Ah, yeah, the quote you should have quoted was the "small things".

Maybe the part about missing features escapes some, but carry on.

-Finished content cut from the game

-NIJ3 armouring on everything (Because being shot in the head with a 9mm without wearing any sort of protection is survivable)

-Suicidal AI

Have I mentioned that it's possible to straight up fall through the floor when walking around on the upper floors of buildings?

MRCO + MX3GL, Katiba GL, Sting and PDW2000 front sight alpha texture error.

arma32013-10-2423-58-14-32_zps97070735.jpg

2013-11-05_00001_zps49deed0b.jpg

Vote up here, here and here. I grow tired of looking at it as it's been more than 6 months since first reported.

Being able to make a 360° in less than a second while being prone

Being able to see trough walls as a civilian (and as a soldier if running against them)

Careful now, you wouldn't want to upset BI's new user base. :rolleyes:

I concur, this is really annoying. Here is an age old ticket regarding this problem. It was also assigned ages ago.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=912

Man seeing the mouth-foaming projection of MulleDK19 is really saddening to see.

Consoleitis is 100% all about sacrificing authenticity for controls. How he can even say that and take himself seriously is beyond me.

Edited by Pd3

Seeing the AI just do their "ugh!" animation 4 times as you hit it 4 times and then keep running to then turn and pop you with 1 shot is getting old. Especially when you see clearly you hit them in the side with a machinegun from 40 meters away. Hope BIS ever get to grips with this. Would be nice.

Consoleitis is 100% all about sacrificing authenticity for controls. How he can even say that and take himself seriously is beyond me.

I don't understand how you can possibly link authenticity with controls. That doesn't make any sense. Seriously, what are you talking about? Do you consider using a mouse and keyboard to be more "authentic" than using a gamepad? Last time I checked neither of those tools came even close to approximating how I control my body.

P.S. As a person who is not a member of the "new user base" -- I'm not sure why we are talking down to new players, by the way -- the old mouse controls sucked hard. There are ways to implement weapon weight without making my mouse controls feel like garbage. Also, everyone complaining about being able to spin around really fast should probably try turning up their sensitivity enough to pull that off and then try actually shooting something. High mouse sensitivity is not usually super conducive to accurate aiming, especially not at the distances that engagements often take place at in Arma.

On topic: I have a lot of pet peeves with this game. It's a list that's been building since OFP, really. That falling through the floor thing I mentioned earlier is a pretty big deal, but my number one issue with this game is still probably the action menu. It's just such a weird and awkward mechanic.

Seeing the AI just do their "ugh!" animation 4 times as you hit it 4 times and then keep running to then turn and pop you with 1 shot is getting old. Especially when you see clearly you hit them in the side with a machinegun from 40 meters away. Hope BIS ever get to grips with this. Would be nice.

Or the funnier variant. They do the 'ugh' thing 3 times, then run for 10 meters and go heal them selfs in open terrain (all AI have first aid kits by default) so they can do the 'ugh' an other 4 times before they go horizontal.

A funny thing I haven't noticed before, when firing at them, some of the AI try to jump over bullets, that's funny as hell, also I die a little bit inside...

EDIT :

I tried to record it but check GeeFurious last vid instead

One of my pet peeves is gun feel. I wish the small arms felt more realistic. I really love the gun feel in Insurgency - recoil handling etc seem to be great - I'd love to see that in A3 (unrealistic I know seeing as I understand A3 is all in real 3D so hard to tweak these things).

TMR goes somewhat to fixing this but MP is where it's at and the vast majority don't permit TMR anyway.

FYI: For those that haven't checked out Insurgency on Steam you definitely should. Its basically CS with a focus on reality so realistic bullet damage (better than A3) and tactical gameplay. Its by no means perfect and is based on the Source engine but its great for a quick drop-in game.

A funny thing I haven't noticed before, when firing at them, some of the AI try to jump over bullets, that's funny as hell, also I die a little bit inside...

disable FFIS.

Careful now, you wouldn't want to upset BI's new user base. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone would complain about this if changed to anchieve something more realistic or balanced => As in pros\cons on SMG vs AR, for example.

I don't understand how you can possibly link authenticity with controls. That doesn't make any sense. Seriously, what are you talking about? Do you consider using a mouse and keyboard to be more "authentic" than using a gamepad? Last time I checked neither of those tools came even close to approximating how I control my body.

P.S. As a person who is not a member of the "new user base" -- I'm not sure why we are talking down to new players, by the way -- the old mouse controls sucked hard. There are ways to implement weapon weight without making my mouse controls feel like garbage. Also, everyone complaining about being able to spin around really fast should probably try turning up their sensitivity enough to pull that off and then try actually shooting something. High mouse sensitivity is not usually super conducive to accurate aiming, especially not at the distances that engagements often take place at in Arma.

On topic: I have a lot of pet peeves with this game. It's a list that's been building since OFP, really. That falling through the floor thing I mentioned earlier is a pretty big deal, but my number one issue with this game is still probably the action menu. It's just such a weird and awkward mechanic.

In regards to mouse sensitivity, most gaming mice allow quick, on-the-fly, ajustments to dpi.

On my razer, holding mouse4 'clutches' down to 500dpi, and on release, 3500dpi.

Spinning in prone ought to be fast. The annimation doesn't show the true transition a rifleman makes to the right/left/rear.

Hence; it looks funky, but it should be quick.

Consider the 'Plunket Position':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2_95th_riflemen_in_various_fighting_stances.JPG

A quick swing and roll to the rear.

Blame the annimations, not the speed of transition.

In regards to mouse sensitivity, most gaming mice allow quick, on-the-fly, ajustments to dpi.

On my razer, holding mouse4 'clutches' down to 500dpi, and on release, 3500dpi.

Spinning in prone ought to be fast. The annimation doesn't show the true transition a rifleman makes to the right/left/rear.

Hence; it looks funky, but it should be quick.

Consider the 'Plunket Position':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2_95th_riflemen_in_various_fighting_stances.JPG

A quick swing and roll to the rear.

Blame the annimations, not the speed of transition.

Yeah, really, if the goal is to turn fast (and this is also a pet peeve of mine), then while prone, the best way to turn is to shift the hips.

The scrollable action menu made me physically ill for 11 days.

Scrollable stances, now that would be something.