Sign in to follow this  
marcai

Pet Peeves of A3

honestly, i really have grown to like this. very convenient.

i have to agree. for the new grenade throw mechanic the key is simply needed that close to the movement keys.

As a server admin - having the "Kick" button, next to the "Ok" button is one of the most weird GUI decisions I've seen in my whole life :)

Having the grenade key next to the rate of fire key can have some unfortunate consequences. I re-bound it so I have to double tap "G" to toss a frag. It's a pity my squad had to die to teach that lesson.

You can open doors ~5 m away from the handle or being prone, close to the door. very realistic.

...everything related to A3 UI, except inventory in-game menu.

Where do you start.

AI know where ammo boxes are even when they can't be seen and run to them to rearm but don't go back to their positions.

AI can still take ammo from hidden objects.

AI can take ammo from boxes in the air.

Vehicles can still crash into hidden objects.

Objects spawned at height (attached to chopper) :-

The physics of the suspended object still fall to the ground killing objects below even though the visual object remains in the air.

Attachto needs to be applied twice to make sure they're attached

Bridges are both weak and strong.

You can try loads of missiles and charges and nothing happens but can be downed by an ammo box exploding that doesn't even kill a man standing next to it.

i have to agree. for the new grenade throw mechanic the key is simply needed that close to the movement keys.

While both infuriating and comical due to the change of key, being able to throw grenades without cycling through fire modes was needed. Some of my fondest memories in alpha are of people swearing closely followed by loud shouts of "GRENADE" and "SORRY".

However, am I the only one who misses the throw power from length of holding the action? Bring it back please.

Edited by Matt International
Typo

While both infuriating and comical due to the change of key, being able to throw grenades without cycling through fire modes was needed. Some of my fondest memories in alpha are of people swearing closely followed by loud shouts of "GRENADE" and "SORRY".

However, am I the only one who misses the throw power from length of holding the action? Bring it back please.

Had that on my first time playing MP on Arma ever were in Alpha (And actually not played since, despite always wanting to) was helo pilot on the Zeus servers. I was pretty nervous and trying not to mess up my landings as a first-time-in-the-field rookie, and was really proud of a gentle landing dead in the middle of a crossroad. Everyone was ready to mount up, then I heard a metalltic tinkle and "Oh shit guys, RUN". I'd already guessed what was happening and was about 5m in the air when it took my tail rotor and 90% of the squad out. Miraculously managed to fly it home thanks to Dslyecxi's guides, but bugger me did I laugh all the way back with the two survivors all the way back home.

I would love the throw power thing back, too. Perhaps an optional little gague for how strong the throw will be somewhere on the UI? Again -to harp on about him- Dslyecxi did an interesting video a while back about possible grenade mechanics in A2 that I was hoping might get looked into at some point. Be nice to be able to drop grenades over a wall rather than having to do a long throw at a nearby wall and hoping for the best that it bounces right.

1) action menu

2) ragdolling after minor drops and having to reset stance, weapon position, etc

3) terrible 3D audio

4) weapon fire setting resets when leaving a vehicle (from full auto to semi)

5) holding shift and forward (running) and pressing pgup (standup) results in (stance left) instead

6) AI are suicidal drivers

7) explosives don't seem deadly enough at all

8) getting stuck in animations

9) vehicles exploding too easily (edit)

Edited by DNK

*Action menu - see Dslyecxi's video

*vehicles exploding too easily (crashing into a tree, small stone)

The same re-textured UGVs and UAVs for all factions. The armoury descriptions even try to lampshade this with the excuse that CSAT reverse engineered them...

An OPFOR variant, designated Saif and Saif RCWS, is a cheaper and less reliable copy from the Asian region.

OPFOR engineers and manufacturers were able to perfect construction, but their engines are less fuel effective. The OPFOR drone is labeled K40 Ababil-3.

An OPFOR arms manufacturer was able to reverse-engineer the Darter's construction and now produces a similar vehicle. The OPFOR quadcopter is labeled as the Tayran AR-2.

Trying to differentiate them from afar on higher difficulties is always a fun thing to do too!

The breezing noises of the player.

I don't know about you, but if I run for a couple of minutes I usually don't start to sound like a pig dying of a piece of scrap metal stuck in it's throat. Or start to make superhuman puking noises...

The AI is just so bad it's depressing. For years I've read on these forums one of the reasons the game is so CPU intensive is because of the AI is so advanced, or snobbish comments towards other games on how their AI is "scripted" while ARMAs is superior in every way.

Well I'm sorry but it's all bullshit. The AI in this game is just as dumb, if not dumber, than every other game. Enemy AI don't react while their comrades are being slaughtered in front of them, they don't react to the sounds of gun fire or explosions well within hearing range. They just continue to stand there chatting to each other.

Friendly AI manage to get constantly lost under my command. They insist on either crawling or walking REALLY slowly everywhere. I command them to relax, to be aware, to be in combat mode, match my stance, follow me, move there....nothing...still creeping along.

This level of awfulness is then in stark contrast to their amazing accuracy, ability to see through walls, ability to see objects in the dead of night without aid, and ability to shoot me while facing in the opposite direction.

The AI in Battlefield and Call of Duty is FAR superior to ARMA, and that's a sorry statement to make!

The AI in Battlefield and Call of Duty is FAR superior to ARMA, and that's a sorry statement to make!

you just opened pandora's box. you better remove that part before all hell breaks loose. :butbut:

i mean i agree that there are games that have way more effective and convincing AI (i loved the AI dynamically taking cover in return to caslte wolfenstein or even the first farcry, stalker had also great combat AI) but no matter how frustrating and weird arma AI is (i share your feelings, they can be such retards) they are simply more advanced. they will keep on doing things on their own if they are under fire without waypoints, they can operate vehicles (i said operate not that they are any good at it ;) driving on roads is pretty much disastrous) and they can work in a team.

so they are more advanced. it's a fact. BUT. it's more on paper than anything. if you look at what they can really achieve then it's infact not THAT different from other games. what causes them to have such an impact on CPU is probably the amount of AI units in arma more than anything.

also. there are some games with great AI. bf and cod are not in that category. i know they look good because they have great animations but go and put them to the test. they are pretty limited.

@Fergal, this isn't the thread for that type of post.

If you want to complain about the AI use the plethora of threads already available, leave this one to the "pet peeves".

ninja'd by Pergor :)

CSAT's aliën-helmets, for me, definitely.. I'd rather have them wear something more contemporary yet modern.

Weapons that change fire mode/viewmode when switching between binocs, sidearm or launcher. Also they reset when entering and exiting a vehicle.

The clunky and ancient action menu.

Exploding cars. Really.

Z-fighting in the distance, because otherwise Arma 3 is an awesome looking game.

And many more, whenever I encounter them again.

edit: Forgot to add this: Hardcoded movement keys. I cannot move with the inventory open when using other keys than WASD. Simply impossible. I'm left handed, which means that movement via WASD is impractical. WASD let's you loot bodies and move around at the same time (big advantage, also useful in emergencies), but the arrow keys are locked and nothing happens. This is the same in all other Arma games and now even DayZ, the one game where looting is a gameplay element. Also you cannot unbind the movement order keys from WASD for the AI. When in a vehicle they will move upon pressing WASD when those keys are not even mapped.

Edited by bonham

I remembered one additional thing

Minimap - By pressing right CTRL + M you can open minimap but it disappears everytime when I use scope. Would be nice if it toggled back on after exiting scope-mode.

I remembered one additional thing

Minimap - By pressing right CTRL + M you can open minimap but it disappears everytime when I use scope. Would be nice if it toggled back on after exiting scope-mode.

+1 for that. All in all I think Arma 3 really needs the love of a usability expert, throw in a UI expert while you are at it, it seems like the game had not enjoyed such expertise.

Pet peeves based on mission making:

- No working GPS_video function

- AI still has issue walking on docks (they avoid them)

- Broken ammo truck

- No micro waypoints for precise AI pathing (or an AI pathing recorder)

- All sounds are muted inside vehicles.. thus also custom sounds, music and any voice acting.

- Dropping/using chem lights is voiced as 'popping smoke' + you can't hold/attach chem light in hand.

- AI detects and calls out hostiles from +2km away, based on view distance and in a chopper even +6km.

- You still can't sink H-barriers and other objects into the ground with 'elevation'.

- No easy way to use textures with transparant layer such as png/tga.

- Custom textures only load from short distance (looks black further away)

- Flight physics, no wind effect

- 50% cloud cover automatically means rain, setting rain to manual automatically changes cloud cover setting.

- No advanced fog option slider (yet)

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

The breezing noises of the player.

I don't know about you, but if I run for a couple of minutes I usually don't start to sound like a pig dying of a piece of scrap metal stuck in it's throat. Or start to make superhuman puking noises...

Yes this too. This is one reason why I use 3rd person view a lot when running around, because the heavy breathing is then less hearable. The heavy breating is meant for immersion and to be realistic, but it gets on your nerves after a while.

The driving physics 'drive' me up the wall, the vechs feel very lightweight.

Edit: Oh yeah and the breathing when fatigued wants toning down a bit!

Edited by pooley

Note to myself - **must stay out of negative threads**

Can't do...

*I am baffled at how is it even possible that vehicle crosshair is so way off of where I am actually shooting after so many months

*FPS issues - actually bit false, as it's not FPS, it's some sort of constant tearing somewhere in the background even in SP

*tracked vehicles constantly mute engine whenever A or D ( left or right keys ) are pressed

*I don't find very practical to circle from armor piercing to MG and over to HE. In arma 2 we could have HE ready while shooting the turrets MG at once