Sign in to follow this  
marcai

Pet Peeves of A3

its a little thing , but really important. the firemode should stay where you set it to. but at the moment , for example you put it

on autofire, get in a vehicle, get out, and you have singlefire again.

• Opening Doors, climbing ladders, entering vehicles is too much effort: scrolling or looking for that "sweet spot" for activation. Makes the game feel clunky.

• Soundscape feels flat, I know there are some awesome addons recently released but stock sounds (especially weapons) are quite poor and immersion breaking.

• Reload sound seems come from nowhere and is far too loud for the distance.

• Multiplayer menu is still underdeveloped and not very responsive / consistent.

• Glitching near walls and getting stuck inside rocks.

• Multiplayer framerate and server performance.

Just overall polish of the game, still feels like beta. But overall it's a great game.

T

I concur, this is really annoying. Here is an age old ticket regarding this problem. It was also assigned ages ago.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=912

Yep, this and the fact that a player can rotate their whole body far quicker than they can turn their head.

Between saying a server has a ping 2500 when I get a ping of 109 or less, and getting the lean stuck or watch or such while I type a message in chat, the problem with typing e, q, o, or k in chat is probably my largest pet peeve.

it's the future. that mingun is mind controlled.

hands on steering wheel took 4 games so if my math is right this will be in in arma 7. fingers crossed :p

it's the future. that mingun is mind controlled.

hands on steering wheel took 4 games so if my math is right this will be in in arma 7. fingers crossed :p

i don´t mind with the hands, but of course it wouldbe cool to have. much more important is that trackir freedom is

not working with these guns. and it did work in arma2 !!

does that mean it can't be fixed? because i'm sure i didn't have that problem for a while. is there maybe a temporary fix i can apply? some kind of method to deactivate that behavior?

EDIT: i see it now. it happens once right after you alt tab back into the game. knowing that really helps already. thx! still a pain when developing with the game open.

I was chased by this problem too.

This manly happens when you script and need to alt+tab all few bits.

So, for now i just open Arma 3 in window mode and just click outside instead of alt+tab. ;)

That animation could be done via IK like they did with driver wheel or the pilot control stick

also that image reminded me - the god awful m134 , which has so slow rate of fire + cannot change fire mode + cannot use free look + damage is unrealistic as hell ...

those m134 issues in A3 , were not in A2 FPDR

Edited by RobertHammer

The thing where the sun is behind you and the shadows disappear and reappear when you turn a few degrees. Makes me shake my head every time.

1)Scope glare. Blow something up at night and walk over a hill so the source of the light is behind the ground. You'll still have so much glare on the scope it makes it unuseable, even though the terrain should be blocking it.

2)I'll second the AI trying to run me down when I exit a vehicle. Seriously annoying.

3)Minigun rate of fire is far too low. All of them. The twin miniguns on the AH-9 should chew through ammo very fast. They're meant to be spray and pray weapons.

4)Action menu. Seriously, can we get a new interaction system? I can't be the only one who constantly picks the wrong interaction because the vehicle moved slightly, or someone ran in front of me and the selections changed right as I was selecting. It's a stupid little thing, but it's so rage inducing.

Another one:

Copy/Paste of models. How much work would it be to create just one more turret for CSAT and one for AAF ?

There is a great video rant on ARMA's action menu by Dslyecxi, but instead of linking to it...

The action menu is the stupidest thing in any game I have ever seen. There, I said it.

Our FOB is getting torn apart by a massive enemy counter-attack. My crew rushes to the tanks and sprints up to our Slammer. In the distance I see an insurgent setting up a guided missile launcher. Our only chance is to get in the tank and kill him before he takes us out. I clearly see a hatch on the right-top of our tank and I go to that side. Since I'm the junior in the crew, I am supposed to go as Driver. But when I look up at the hatch while standing next to the tank, I can only mount up as Gunner or Commander. The senior member of the crew tells me to get to the other side. "This is ARMA -- don't you know that tank drivers have to get in on the left side of the vehicle!?" I run to the front left and look up at the hatch but I still can't get in. "THE BACK LEFT SIDE, SERIOUSLY!!!" I sigh with relief when I finally see Get in Slammer as Driver. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to be happy because the enemy soldier has fired his weapon at our tank and our Driver and Gunner are lying dead next to the destroyed Slammer.

Insurgents are overrunning my position! I'm the last man standing and all eyes are on me!! I just shot through my last M4 magazine!!! I drop my rifle to the sling and grab for my pistol and...whip out a pair of binoculars? Now I have to slowly place my binoculars back in their place, go through a few seconds of a clunky waiting time once it's done, just to finally be able to pull out my pistol after struggling to find "Weapon M9" in the list that's cluttered with Open Door, Lower Headset, Mission Generator, etc. Once I get my pistol out, I start pumping rounds into the enemy soldiers as they rush into the building but...oh wait, this is ARMA3 so ten rounds from my 9mil pistol to center mass don't really do anything and I die. Okay.

A teammate lays down suppressive fire with his 249 on a nearby house filled with insurgents as a buddy and I rush across the street and stack up to clear a building. Rounds start tearing through the wall next to us and we have no choice but to immediately begin the breach and get inside before we are shredded by machine gun fire. "BREACHING, BREACHING," is shouted as I reach for the handle of the first door (there are two near each other) and hit Open Door in the scroll menu. Nothing happens. I swing around and fire a volley of rounds towards the guy shooting at us while we desperately try to get inside. Is it lag? Is it a bug? Is the door locked? Does ARMA hate us (the answer is always yes)? The rest of our fireteam has swept down the street and pushed back the insurgents, so all is calm. Finally we give up and decide to try the door next to us, which we haven't really paid attention to since we've been in a firefight. Strangely, it's open. We look around for any enemy soldiers who could have gone through it during the action. After all, I'm positive the door wasn't like that when we stacked up. Suddenly I see Close Door when I look at the first closed door and hit it. The second door closes. While looking at the first door, I hit Open Door again. The second door opens. Brilliant.

Edited by GReeves

One of the things I cant stand is the automatic reload animation for launchers, grab a missile/rocket, and your character automatically reloads it.

This is not helpful at all, I'd rather have the choice to reload it myself, also is the automatic reload when your getting more ammo for your M203.

Lastly the majority of the doors to houses and buildings in the game that swing, swing in the wrong direction, for example if you have a house, and the door

is hinged on the left ideally the door should swing inwards to the left, thus not being in your way, and forcing you to walk around the door,

some houses are fine and the door swings correctly, most other houses do not.

Wrong swing slows you down when your trying to get indoors or to cover quickly.

One of the things I cant stand is the automatic reload animation for launchers, grab a missile/rocket, and your character automatically reloads it.

This is not helpful at all, I'd rather have the choice to reload it myself, also is the automatic reload when your getting more ammo for your M203..

Lastly the majority of the doors to houses and buildings in the game that swing, swing in the wrong direction, for example if you have a house, and the door

is hinged on the left ideally the door should swing inwards to the left, thus not being in your way, and forcing you to walk around the door,

some houses are fine and the door swings correctly, most other houses do not.

Wrong swing slows you down when your trying to get indoors or to cover quickly.

+1000

There is a great video rant on ARMA's action menu by Dslyecxi, but instead of linking to it...

The action menu is the stupidest thing in any game I have ever seen. There, I said it.

Our FOB is getting torn apart by a massive enemy counter-attack. My crew rushes to the tanks and sprints up to our Slammer. In the distance I see an insurgent setting up a guided missile launcher. Our only chance is to get in the tank and kill him before he takes us out. I clearly see a hatch on the right-top of our tank and I go to that side. Since I'm the junior in the crew, I am supposed to go as Driver. But when I look up at the hatch while standing next to the tank, I can only mount up as Gunner or Commander. The senior member of the crew tells me to get to the other side. "This is ARMA -- don't you know that tank drivers have to get in on the left side of the vehicle!?" I run to the front left and look up at the hatch but I still can't get in. "THE BACK LEFT SIDE, SERIOUSLY!!!" I sigh with relief when I finally see Get in Slammer as Driver. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to be happy because the enemy soldier has fired his weapon at our tank and our Driver and Gunner are lying dead next to the destroyed Slammer.

Insurgents are overrunning my position! I'm the last man standing and all eyes are on me!! I just shot through my last M4 magazine!!! I drop my rifle to the sling and grab for my pistol and...whip out a pair of binoculars? Now I have to slowly place my binoculars back in their place, go through a few seconds of a clunky waiting time once it's done, just to finally be able to pull out my pistol after struggling to find "Weapon M9" in the list that's cluttered with Open Door, Lower Headset, Mission Generator, etc. Once I get my pistol out, I start pumping rounds into the enemy soldiers as they rush into the building but...oh wait, this is ARMA3 so ten rounds from my 9mil pistol to center mass don't really do anything and I die. Okay.

A teammate lays down suppressive fire with his 249 on a nearby house filled with insurgents as a buddy and I rush across the street and stack up to clear a building. Rounds start tearing through the wall next to us and we have no choice but to immediately begin the breach and get inside before we are shredded by machine gun fire. "BREACHING, BREACHING," is shouted as I reach for the handle of the first door (there are two near each other) and hit Open Door in the scroll menu. Nothing happens. I swing around and fire a volley of rounds towards the guy shooting at us while we desperately try to get inside. Is it lag? Is it a bug? Is the door locked? Does ARMA hate us (the answer is always yes)? The rest of our fireteam has swept down the street and pushed back the insurgents, so all is calm. Finally we give up and decide to try the door next to us, which we haven't really paid attention to since we've been in a firefight. Strangely, it's open. We look around for any enemy soldiers who could have gone through it during the action. After all, I'm positive the door wasn't like that when we stacked up. Suddenly I see Close Door when I look at the first closed door and hit it. The second door closes. While looking at the first door, I hit Open Door again. The second door opens. Brilliant.

I feel you. Things pops up and its difficult to choose things. The easiest fix would be to show every option in a 10-20m radius, but only let it light up when youre close

Another one:

Copy/Paste of models. How much work would it be to create just one more turret for CSAT and one for AAF ?

Yep, agreed with this one.

The UI but I got a fix to some of that with keys mod... so...

The thing that I don't normally think about but irks me when i see it is the map/compass/watch. They really need animations for those, especially the map. Freakin' pilots, people mid combat, etc. people are pulling out the map and seeing enemy, giving direct guidance via the universal points - it just seems 'cheaty' to me.

Who thought that changing the G key from Gear to Grenade was a wise idea?

Well, somebody will probably say, "The default ARMA3 settings are for newcomers to the series. If you are an ARMA veteran, use the "Classic" settings plan." However, I still think G should have stayed the same for all of those presets -- that's the first thing I reset when I played my first game of ARMA3 (after struggling to get more than 10 fps, of course) because I kept throwing grenades at my feet while trying to open crates or check my inventory.

Main pet peeve - all those unnecessary or inconsistent keybinds and the useless implementation of the Gamespy browser.

Who thought that changing the G key from Gear to Grenade was a wise idea?

honestly, i really have grown to like this. very convenient.