Sign in to follow this  
L.Trale

Help with select Random Array?

I'm a bit rusty at scripting as I took a few months off. Can someone help me with this?

_Select1 = ["A", "B", "C", "D", "E"];
_Select2 = floor random count _Select1;
hint ["1%", _Select1];

The Letters are the names of AIs.

Thanks.

Thank you so much. I also made a few embarrassing errors. Forgot the "format" after hint and the "%1". Thanks!

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quick question; how do I add an action the the person selected? Thanks

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Scratch that, found it. Another quick question; how do you add an action to just the player? For example, I want A to have an action "Wave", but other players can use the action on him.

Thank you so much. I also made a few embarrassing errors. Forgot the "format" after hint and the "%1". Thanks!

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quick question; how do I add an action the the person selected? Thanks

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Scratch that, found it. Another quick question; how do you add an action to just the player? For example, I want A to have an action "Wave", but other players can use the action on him.

_action = a addAction ["Wave", "Script.sqf"];

But your soldiers names need to match so the if the name of the soldier..

so what you should have is

_selector = [soldier1, soldier2, soldier3]call bis_fnc_selectRandom;
_action = _selector addAction ["wave", "script.sqf"];

You don't need the "_action" part. The rest I have and it still allows other players to use that action.

You don't need the "_action" part. The rest I have and it still allows other players to use that action.

The _action part in that case is the return value, which in the case of addAction, is the action ID. So in the event that you want to removeActive (its hidden by default, yes, but for reuseability it'd need to be removed), you would call on the return. IE, using the above as reference, _selector removeAction _action.

;2614957']The _action part in that case is the return value' date=' which in the case of addAction, is the action ID. So in the event that you want to removeActive (its hidden by default, yes, but for reuseability it'd need to be removed), you would call on the return. IE, using the above as reference, _selector removeAction _action.[/quote']

Thanks for explaining it :D

Yeah, I know. Thanks for being helpful though. (I'm not trying to remove the action, I'm trying to hide it from other players)

You'd probably have to use the condition field of the addAction

Yeah, I know. Thanks for being helpful though. (I'm not trying to remove the action, I'm trying to hide it from other players)

Which Fusion already explained. I was just pointing out the importance of the return value.

As Fusion said, and the biki indicates, addAction is used on objects (be it soldiers, vehicles, boxes ,etc). If you are using "player" or "this", then yes, it will be on every client. However, if you call it for, say, p1, which is the name of 1 character, it will only be on that character.

Do you mean _Selector = [Alpha,Bravo,Charlie,Delta,Echo] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_action = _Selector addAction ["Wave", "Wave.sqf"];

That is what I posted, justbwith different soldier names. Just make sure the random array is the same as the names of the soldiers you placed down..

I've done this, still doesn't work. I've tried messing around with the parameters for addaction but no luck. Thanks for the help though :bounce3:

Yes, they are the same names.

But you are trying to limit the action to one unit right? So one randomly selected unit gets the addaction option and all other don't? Is that right?

Yes. The problem is that any unit can walk up to the "_Selector" and use the addaction. I've tried _Stab = _Selector addAction ["STAB", "Stab.sqf", nil, 1.5, True, True, "", "this == _Selector"]; but It doesn't work.

See u have a speific item causeimg the addaction so you have to do a if statement for it

So I should add something similar to if (_Selector == this) then {_Selector addaction ["STAB", "Stab.sqf"]} else {};

Think I've gotten the answer: _Stab = if (player == _Selector) then {player addaction ["STAB", "Stab.sqf"]} else {};

It seems to work, but I'll have to do more testing.

Edited by L.Trale

Try this:

_Selector = [A,B,C,D,E] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
_Selected = _Selector; // Narrow it down to one random I can use twice
_action = _Selected addAction ["STAB", "Stab.sqf", Nil, 1.5, true, true, "", "player == _Selected"]; 

I added "_selected" because I'm not sure if calling "_selector" twice will give me two different randoms or not.

Edited by Fight9

_Stab = if (player == _Selector) then {player addaction ["STAB", "Stab.sqf"]} else {}; is working fine, but I might need this for something else. Thanks for the help! :D