Sign in to follow this  
raynor_d

Arma 3 Mod Preset Launcher

UPDATE: As you've probably guessed from my absence, I'm officially stopping development, and more, I recommend everyone switch over to the vanilla launcher at this point, as I have.

My launcher was meant as a stopgap until if and when the BIS launcher matured. Not only has that happened, but it has many more features and options than I could possibly add to mine, like workshop support, and has great features still to come mentioned in the dev notes. So thanks for your guys' support in developing my launcher, it was a great learning experience, and a huge thank you to Bohemia for spending some quality time (believe me I know) to give us a great launcher.

Arma 3 Mod Preset Launcher v1.2.2

2g899Y.png

by Raynor

Description:
This is a fully featured yet extremely efficient and intuitive launcher for Arma 3, designed to quickly create, modify, and switch between combinations of your favorite mods and adjust your game parameters, all within a couple of clicks.

Features:
Preset Management:

• Add/Rename/Duplicate/Delete presets
  • Quickly switch presets in a dropdown

Mod Management:

• Load mods located anywhere on your computer, including other hard drives
  • Clean up your Arma 3 directory by placing mods one level down in the Arma 3 directory: "Arma 3\@Mods\@JSRS, @A3MP, etc." (top folder must begin with @)
  • Doubleclick to add/remove the selected mod or group
  • Multiselect (Ctrl or Shift Click, then use add/remove buttons)
  • Drag to reorder mods and groups within current preset (Custom implementation, if any of you VB.NET people are interested)
  • Create groups to easily manage mods frequently used together
  • Color highlighting system so you know exactly what's happening at a glance

Additional Parameters:

• -noSplashScreen
  • -world=empty
  • -showScriptErrors
  • -noPause
  • -skipIntro
  • -noLogs
  • -noFilePatching
  • -window
  • -maxMem=(512-2048)
  • -maxVRAM=(512-2048)
  • -CPUCount=(2-8)
  • -ExThreads=(0,1,3,5,7)

Miscellaneous features:
Create shortcuts on your desktop or other location of your choosing that will launch Arma 3 with the current settings
Launch Arma3.exe directly* for development or multiplayer

...All at your fingertips in a flat, simple user interface.

Download:
v1.2.2: Download on Armaholic
v1.2.2 VirusTotal Scans: Installer / Exe

Requirements:
.NET Framework 4.0 (You probably already have it. If not, the installer will not install it, you must install it before hand.)

Installation:
Simply run the .msi installer and you're good to go.
I recommend removing all A3 launch parameters from Steam itself; they will run no matter what.
On first start, it will check for Arma 3 inside your main Steam installation folder. If it can't find it (you installed it on a different drive), it will ask you to provide the path to your Arma 3 directory, so it can detect your modfolders.

If upgrading from an old version, you'll need to uninstall it before upgrading. However you will not lose your presets or settings.

Usage:
This is a very simple program on the outside. It doesn't require Internet access or anything like that, so feel free to lock it down with your firewall. All it will ever access outside itself is its own saved settings file in AppData, and lookup the location of your Steam installation in the registry (since Arma 3 is actually run with a command to the Steam client).
A small tip for quickly looking through presets or groups: double click the dropdown then use your scroll wheel. (This works for all dropdowns in Windows)

Uninstallation:
Simply go into Control Panel > Programs and Features, and uninstall it.

Changelog:
v1.2.2 - 2014-10-26 (v1.2.2 Source)
- Added: Now searches one level down for modfolders in folders (Arma 3\@Mods\@JSRS), so you can declutter your Arma directory (Note: top folder must start with @)
- Added: Alternate mod locations: mods can now be loaded from other locations, like other drives. (infinite number of locations)
* Note: Because I didn't design the program to do this from the beginning, it will show the full path in the list views when using the above features, so I suggest very short paths like: Arma 3\@Mods\(mods) or F:\Arma3\(mods) if on a separate drive
- Added: Option to run Arma3.exe directly, in case of Steam issues (shortcuts also save with this option) (NOTE: This is not intended to, and does not, allow pirated games to be launched)
- Added: Options menu with the above features
- Added: Will now remember previously active preset
- Added: Explanatory tooltips for all the parameters
- Fixed: Can now only have one instance open at once
- Removed some unused references and resources
- Updated help dialogs

Previous versions:

v1.2.1 - 2014-02-26
- Added: -window, -noLogs, -noFilePatching parameters
- Added: Launcher action on game launch (nothing, minimize, or close)
- Added: Horizontal resizing for both dialogs
- Added: Launcher position and sizes are now saved (intelligently checks and resets if off screen, in case resolution changed etc.)
- Added: Gray highlight in the mod list if mod is in current preset
- Added: Red highlight for mods in the active preset but not in the A3 directory (deleted/name changed)
- Added: Relevant mod coloring for groups dialog (gray and red)
- Added: Shiny new About and Usage dialogs
- Fixed: Possible crash when creating new group
- Fixed: Modfolders with spaces in their name no longer break the command line
- Fixed: Drive letter is now capitalized (didn't cause problems, just bugged me)
- Fixed: Lots of semi-edge case fixes/improvements

v1.1 - 2014-02-14
- Implemented groups: Basically sub-presets. See Help > Usage for details
- Now installed using the standard windows installer, instead of ClickOnce. The executable will now be stored in program files like every other normal program.
- Added -exThreads parameter
- Both main and group dialogs can be vertically resized
- Minor UI fixes and squashed bugs
- v1.1.1: Load order tweak - if a mod that's already part of an active group is manually added somewhere else in the current preset, it will load there instead of as part of the group.
- v1.1.2: Hotfix for crash when deleting all mods from a preset. Also fixed a bug in highlighting mods.

v1.0 - 2014-02-03 - Initial Release

I hope you all find this useful, and if you have any suggestions or feedback, good or bad, I would love to hear it. And also please report bugs if you find any, and I'll squash them asap.

Enjoy!

Edited by raynor_d
v1.2.2 Armaholic download link

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

mods.jpg

it's working but you should consider adding the option to setup the mods in groups such as this

effects or any name desired inthere you can put blastcore jsrs or other such mods

system where you can add mods like bipod or simular mods

here is a picture to show you what i mean

@Foxhound - Thank you!

@pressytcn - Thanks for the suggestion, I see what you mean. That would be a cool little feature, but I fear it would over-complicate the UI. But I will see if I can find a way to implement it without sacrificing ease of use of the preset system.

Edited by Raynor_D

Updated to version 1.1.1:

- Implemented groups: Basically sub-presets. See Help > Usage for details

- Now installed using the standard windows installer. The executable will now be stored in program files like every other normal program.

- Added -exThreads parameter

- Both main and group dialogs can be vertically resized

- Minor UI fixes and squashed bugs

- Load order tweak - if a mod that's already part of an active group is manually added somewhere else in the current preset, it will load there instead of as part of the group.

Been using 'another' launcher for ages now but, that for some reason won't remember mods presets?

Tried this and works as intended-simple and effective.As posted about mission feedback (or lack of it)elsewhere, can't believe no one has posted feedback here!

What a cracking little mod launcher,simple to setup different setups eg:- mission editor preset,gaming preset etc

My only suggestion -an option to have the launcher close after launching the game but,thats being picky ;)

Thanks

ck

Appreciate the feedback, ck, glad you're finding it useful! If I ever update it again, I'll be sure to toss in that option.

could you please add the -nologs start parameter?

I think it's one of the most important parameter to play at a stable frame rate

thank you in advance

edit:

-noFilePatching is missing too, also an important parameter when modding

Edited by maquez

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've updated the launcher to v1.2.1, taking into account your input, as well as several new snazzy features and fixes. As always let me know if you have any issues or feedback for the new version.

v1.2.1 - 2014-02-26

- Added: -window, -noLogs, -noFilePatching parameters

- Added: Launcher action on game launch (nothing, minimize, or close)

- Added: Horizontal resizing for both dialogs

- Added: Launcher position and sizes are now saved (intelligently checks and resets if off screen, in case resolution changed etc.)

- Added: Red highlight for mods in the active preset but not in the A3 directory (deleted/name changed)

- Added: Relevant mod coloring for groups dialog (gray and red)

- Added: Shiny new About and Usage dialogs

- Fixed: Modfolders with spaces in their name no longer break the command line

- Fixed: Possible crash when creating new group

- Fixed: Drive letter is now capitalized (didn't cause problems, just bugged me)

- Fixed: Lots of semi-edge case fixes/improvements

Thats a nice touch -makes it easier to see what you've put in a preset.

Thanks for the new version.

Any chance of an 'update' option in the help tab in the future?

Had to uninstall old version,losing my presets, not the end of the world i know lol

Just an idea-thanks again :cool:

Edited by ck-claw

Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't realize that about this installer until recently. I thought about trying to change installers or something for this version, but since this is most likely the final version, and it probably wouldn't have helped if you had an old version anyway, I didn't think it'd be worth it. I'll dive in and figure it out for later projects, and if I find that I can easily change this over to a better method, I'll come back and update it.

Thanks a lot for informing us about the update :cool:

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

This looks really cool man, nice features, nice and clean.

But unfortunately I don't keep mods on the same drive as the my game install.

@Foxhound: Much appreciated!

@madeineano:

Thanks, that's what I was going for. :)

Interesting. I'll see about adding an option for an alternate modfolder location.

Edited by Raynor_D

This programm is very good. Is there any way to led this program ready subfolders?

For example if i create a Modfolder @Mods and put it in the root A3 directory. Now all other mods go into the @Mods folder Like this:

A3dir\@Mods\@CBA

A3dir\@Mods\@ALIVE

Can you add this feature? That would be awesome because iam a fan of keeping my A3 Folder clean as possible! :-)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I suppose that's a reasonable feature, certainly easy enough to implement. Already done.

Once I figure out how I want to implement mods stored elsewhere, I'll update it just for you freaks with weird modfolder setups. ;)

I suppose that's a reasonable feature, certainly easy enough to implement. Already done.

Once I figure out how I want to implement mods stored elsewhere, I'll update it just for you freaks with weird modfolder setups. ;)

Yeah, indeed we luv our crazy modfolders :D Thank you for your work! :)

Sorry guys, kinda got sidetracked with work and all that fun stuff for a while there.

Updated to v1.2.2

- Added: Now searches one level down for modfolders in folders (Arma 3\@Mods\@JSRS), so you can declutter your Arma directory (Note: top folder must start with @)

- Added: Alternate mod locations: mods can now be loaded from other locations, like other drives. (infinite number of locations)

* Note: Because I didn't design the program to do this from the beginning, it will show the full path in the list views when using the above features, so I suggest very short paths like: Arma 3\@Mods\(mods) or F:\Arma3\(mods) if on a separate drive

- Added: Option to run Arma3.exe directly, in case of Steam issues (shortcuts also save with this option) (NOTE: This is not intended to, and does not, allow pirated games to be launched)

- Added: Options menu with the above features

- Added: Will now remember previously active preset

- Added: Explanatory tooltips for all the parameters

- Fixed: Can now only have one instance open at once

- Removed some unused references and resources

- Updated help dialogs

Let me know how the update goes!

Thanks a lot for informing us about the update :cool:

Any chance custom Mem Allocators can be added to a future update. Great Job BTW.

Hi Raynor :)

I have been using a lot of different shortcuts since A1, and a then added a bunch of .param files after the command line was too short. After some OFP launcher nothing I tried worked the way I wanted, sometimes only missing something small. I saw the latest update on Armaholic and it had "presets" in it's name, so decided to try my first A3 launcher, because so far I had stopped looking. And here it is, everything I want from a launcher and in a simple and easy to use package. Great work!

Just one small thing: When opening the groups window, all custom modfolder locations are displayed with the whole path. This hides the actual modfolder name for paths that aren't very, very short because the window has only ~150 pixels width to display. I can resize the dialog, so it has enough space, but the path stays cropped with "..." at the end.

Thank you very much making this launcher, I can now free up a lot of shortcuts and space on my desktop.

I came across some bugs namely that something happend and now it wont uninstall ,it`s still there but will not show up in the list so now I can`t get rid of it.

Another thing ;Can you make it so that it can list Way More Addons in the list becouse there in no more that could be listed from the file even though there are more mods in there? Currently I have 146 mods in there ,but need more room to increse this list ;):yay::)

Great Luncher ! Keep up the good work!

PS:Could you make it so that it can check my J:Arma3 Preset Luncher.exe too.Different hard drive inside of another Luncher ?

Edited by Teddybear1

@Noraku, @Scruffy, thanks for the input guys, I've added the -malloc parameter and fixed the groups window truncating the folders. I'll release the changes as soon as I have time to package a release.

@Teddybear1, I'm having a hard time understanding your questions, but I'll do my best to address them.

The installation issue makes no sense; something had to go terribly wrong on your OS's end for anything like that to happen. What OS are you using? Do you have Microsoft .NET 4.5 installed? If it's not showing up in Control Panel, just delete its installation folder and its folder in AppData. That's all that is installed on your system, no registry values or anything.

As for listing more addons, I just created 1000 modfolders for testing and it listed all of them just fine, so I'm not sure what you mean. The requirements for a modfolder to show up in the list are: begin with @ character, and have a subfolder named addons. If it doesn't have both of those, it won't show in the list.

If I'm understanding your last question correctly, you're asking if it can show mods on other drives, correct? That feature is under Options > Modfolder Locations. Just add the folder where your modfolders are stored.

Hi Raynor_D

I don't know why it took me so long to stumble over your launcher, it's bloody great.

Apart from the bugs others have mentioned, I have noticed that if you set up a Vanilla preset with no mods whatsoever, upon launch it actually runs all the mods that you have in the right hand "All detected mods" window.

Looking forward to any new releases of this great utility!