Sign in to follow this  
GReeves

Insurgency

http://www.playinsurgency.com/

I wrote a guide on Steam for this game called Insurgency Tactics 101 hoping that at least some community members will read it and get a feel for basic team techniques. When you find a server with some tactical players, Insurgency is a lot of fun, but most of the time you have a bunch of people who have no mics and don't listen to even the in-game text commands. Hopefully the tactical guides out there (quite a few aside from mine) will change that and there will be a tactical community for Insurgency that will make it a fun game for when I want to do something using teamwork when I don't have time to play a long session of ARMA.

I have my own server for Insurgency and I gotta say, when you get a good group together, it is awesome - one of the best games I have played in a while.

Unfortunately, because it was only recently officially released, there are a lot of wankers 'playing', but the good news is that they will all leave when the 'next big thing' comes along (if not before).

You don't see so many jagovs on the coop servers because most of the admins turn off scoring and when little rubber people who sound like mickey mouse can't 'pwn' they seek life elsewhere ;)

I played Insurgency for a while when this game was just a mod for HL2 somewhere around 2008 if I remember clearly. Was fun but then I got pissed and dumped it because of heavy camping and shots from nowhere. Before I left they mentioned something about introducing new environments like woods, snow and euro city. I wonder if they did finally because since this time I haven't relaunched.

Nevertheless where there was a good team and buddy of yours beside you, the game could surprise with really immerse atmosphere. I'll add this game to wishlist and pick up after some good discount.

The AI really need to be improved before this game becomes successful in co-op. They blindly spray while sprinting around corners, missing ninety percent of the time and sometimes totally ignore you if you get too close to them.

Hmm, I don't have that problem on my own server although I have seen some weird behavior on other people's - I'm not sure if some people are playing with the AI settings as they can be modified via a cfg file.

I was just playing with 2 other guys and we were getting our asses handed to us on 'District'.

AI were sniping from windows and flanking.

While still having few things that can be done better (like AI behaviour in coop), its one of the best games of the genre - to me, it stands right next to RO2 (and I love RO2). New INS has great gunplay, visuals and proper sound. And You know what else it has?

A FREE WEEKEND. Give it a try, guys :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222880

watch?v=mVvXBtj03xo

watch?v=kMF5nPkFEQs

watch?v=VFzTHau7yKI

watch?v=qQ29UdmnxnQ

watch?v=Yin9UCpmMlk

watch?v=KtrPAjhSdmk

Edited by JonPL

Nice game but I have two concerns about it:

-soldier model are a bit ugly (They need to improve them)

-coop maps needs to be larger, some are just big corridor.

Coop maps were less of a tunnel earlier, but they wanted to prolong it, give more points to take, thus the more "corridorry" approach (unless it's a typical MOUT map it's not that closed). Soldier models IMO are good as they are, esp. if You put custom skins on them. Veteran Insurgent Skins and some Multicam skin for the NATO and this looks waaaay better - except then it's harder to tell friend from foe (especially in the dark). Glad You like it.

Btw, I added some videos for those who still aren't sure whether they should try it or not.

I played Insurgency when it was called Insmod. Purchsed the game recently spend a few hours. Much better quality than a mod, nevertheless player models look ugly and are poorly animated, movement looks more of ice skating to me. Eventually I installed the game, I was tired of shots from nowhere, despite being very careful when leaning behind the corners. Nothing changed since Ins mod when it comes to this matter. I decided to remove because of other games too and I prefer RO2 much better. Nevertheless I can recommend Insurgency, one of the few modern shooters that's worthy of spending money. There are many dedicated and seasoned player who can lead the group, but newcomers may find it the hard way.

I played Insurgency when it was called Insmod. Purchsed the game recently spend a few hours. Much better quality than a mod, nevertheless player models look ugly and are poorly animated, movement looks more of ice skating to me. Eventually I installed the game, I was tired of shots from nowhere, despite being very careful when leaning behind the corners. Nothing changed since Ins mod when it comes to this matter. I decided to remove because of other games too and I prefer RO2 much better. Nevertheless I can recommend Insurgency, one of the few modern shooters that's worthy of spending money. There are many dedicated and seasoned player who can lead the group, but newcomers may find it the hard way.

Shot from nowhere?

I think you may be confusing this with being shot through cover (which happens often).

Bullets act fairly realistically in Insurgency (reminds me a lot of SWAT 3).

The graphics look fine (Source has aged well) and I haven't seen anything that looks like 'ice skating' so not sure what that's about.

I call it "shots from nowhere". You scan the screen carfully and suddenly you get a headshot from ak from a distance you wouldn't expect (from very far). It's almost impossible to see any pixel from that distance otherwise you would have to ble glued to the screen to see it. And for a source game Insurgence offers poor quality model, imo, the best ones based on this engine are in CSGO.

I call it "shots from nowhere". You scan the screen carfully and suddenly you get a headshot from ak from a distance you wouldn't expect (from very far). It's almost impossible to see any pixel from that distance otherwise you would have to ble glued to the screen to see it. And for a source game Insurgence offers poor quality model, imo, the best ones based on this engine are in CSGO.

The AKM, for example, has an effective range of 400m, I've never been 'shot from nowhere' in Insurgency - sounds more like you just don't like/aren't used to the fact the enemy engage at realistic ranges (with the obvious exception of the ArmA series).

I've always been able to engage them if they are able to engage me (gear selection is very map dependent in Insurgency).

Again, just my own experiences with the game.

Does CS:GO have better models, yeah it probably does (and a substantially larger budget I would wager), but unrealistic damage, silly ballistic modelling and no iron sights are a deal breaker for me.

I prefer a decent attempt at realism over 'purdy' models ;)

Of course, to each their own :D

Edited by BangTail

Well, I went and bought the game, and I must say it has scratched a longstanding itch I had for a decent co-op shooter experience.

Does anyone encounter a bug where nobody can move on the map?

We had this bug for a week now and one of our team member try to play on other server and he experienced the same bug.

Nice find, Burns :)

Papanowel, never happened to me, unless the server went AWOL.

Just curious but when you guys do play coop, what do you think is the best settings for AI.

Hey folks.

Just to let You know, this great shooter comes in a 4 pack in current Humble Bundle for 1$. It's a sin not to get it if You're a fan of tac-shooters. In case anyone wonders (because of the last posts) - they already patched CTD problems, from what I've seen, read and tested.

I've been able to play with many people for few hours straight and not a single crash on my or their side.

@Phantom Six - Normal or just above it is IMO the best. Otherwise they are too sloppy or too aimbottish.

Edited by JonPL

Hey folks.

Just to let You know, this great shooter comes in a 4 pack in current Humble Bundle for 1$. It's a sin not to get it if You're a fan of tac-shooters.

My BI Forum games night senses are tingling - which is strange, they haven´t done that in ~9 years!

I have yet to really spend time on Insurgency exploring it in more depth, but whenever I do play it I do enjoy it.