newboerg

Head Tracking for under 10€

Arduino serial API as per http://arduino.cc/en/Serial/Write lets user know when serial's in bad shape and needs reset.

The new build's of opentrack, simulating a joystick works properly now. It didn't even work as it should with several joysticks, not to mention edtracker which had issues.

That is, edtracker didn't need fixing for proper operation, it's on my side.

Does it perform incorrectly when put on the side, upside down, or moved fast?

The new build's of opentrack, simulating a joystick works properly now. It didn't even work as it should with several joysticks, not to mention edtracker which had issues.

That is, edtracker didn't need fixing for proper operation, it's on my side.

Ah gotcha, thanks. I'll try my MPU board with EDtracker and the latest Opentrack then.

Does it perform incorrectly when put on the side, upside down, or moved fast?

My GY-85/Pro Micro tends to lock up with high Raw data if I put my headset down on the desk. It's mounted on top, so it puts the board at roughly 90 degrees to the desk when I put my headphones down.

For edtracker, DISABLE the opentrack workaround.

The lockup information's very important. Thanks for mentioning that.

Is Sebastian here? Maybe we should be posting on IHT FTNOIR sourceforge forum about the lockup thing.

The issue's that we can't get the microcontroller available remotely when we're both available. Maybe will make a binary to flash without the Atmel available in real time.

For edtracker, DISABLE the opentrack workaround.

The lockup information's very important. Thanks for mentioning that.

Is Sebastian here? Maybe we should be posting on IHT FTNOIR sourceforge forum about the lockup thing.

The issue's that we can't get the microcontroller available remotely when we're both available. Maybe will make a binary to flash without the Atmel available in real time.

Sorry, can you explain what the opentrack workaround is and how to disable it?

I'll keep posting on the sourceforge thread as well, so that we keep Sebastian in the loop.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

I've tried flashing my Pro Micro/MPU-6050 with the EDtracker firmware now, using the GUI as described here http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/downloads/category/3-documentation

The Calibration firmware works fine and I was able to click "Calculate Bias Values" a couple of times to get the orange and green dots in the centre.

However, after flashing the Main firmware, the GUI can't connect to the device. The COM port is still available to Windows and the app, so it's not that. I tried restarting the app and unplugging/replugging and tried an older firmware as well from the dropdown.

The workaround's in edtracker actual. The joystick tracker was broken, now it's less broken.

Oh well. I tried flashing EDTracker2 with the command line tool instead but still just get "Error for connecting to COM12" when I launch the GUI. It's definitely on COM12 and it works fine when I flash the Calib firmware, just not the Main firmware.

Anyway, I'm only really interested in using the GY-85, so I'm not going to waste any more time on trying to get this to work. I was only looking at it for a friend.

So who's the one to be sober during the weekend, in order to write sensor fusion and serial reset?

Why is it always gonna be me? Damn short straw again.

Posting my experience of a GY-85 build (after trying an MPU6050, seeing its great potential but too much drift so wanted to take the next step):

This wouldn't be too bad if calibration was done once and for all. But unfortunately, I've had to re-calibrate for every session (after putting the computer to sleep), and even then, the output from FTNoIR to the game is very erratic - sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. Whether it's the Pro Micro that sends weird stuff out, or if it's Hatire that is buggy, I don't know. The results are that tracking output often seems somewhat random - roll axis will be active even though it's deactivated and receives no input from the board, axes will be mixed up, and so on and so on. It's just back and re-do parts or whole of the calibration procedure.

So. bit of further feedback from me.

I've come to realize that there is no re-calibration needed. I just need to upload the sketch, and then start the FTNoIR tracker within a certain time window, and then it will work from there, just as well calibrated as it was the last time I played.

And it's really stable. And even though I have a low-end rig (we're talking a Q6600 here...) the tracking is as fluid as the game itself and works beautifully. Once or twice, I've had to change the 'invert Y axis' after uploading and starting a game for some reason, but that's really a minor nuisance. I only track X and Y pitch axes.

So for me, this has become a necessary part of playing Arma. And I love it.

Anybody needs help with the Pro Micro / GY-85 combo I'm happy to respond (if you post here please combine with a PM) to the best of my knowledge.

I just need to upload the sketch, and then start the FTNoIR tracker within a certain time window,

Well we are working on sourceforge to solve that issue (as it is micro and Leonardo issue only I use Doveman to check results as I have Uno and no such problems). If you wish you may drop by and check.

Well we are working on sourceforge to solve that issue (as it is micro and Leonardo issue only I use Doveman to check results as I have Uno and no such problems). If you wish you may drop by and check.

I'll stop by, thanks for the heads-up.

Latest update of the EDTracker sketch (along with new GUI) with opentrack is really effin' awesome. For you who haven't tried, please do :)

Magnetometer (MP9150) support is in the works also, and there was talk about a release for testing this weekend :D

I was able to play for about two hours yesterday without a single reset. Now I just need a better mount on my headset. Two rubber bands doesn't quite cut it ;P

I couldn't get EDTracker to work at all with my Pro Micro/MPU but I've got my Pro Micro/GY-85 working great with a HC-05, so it transmits over BT and doesn't need a USB cable (I'm using a portable USB rechargeable battery stuck on top of my headphones to power it all). http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/iht/thread/eced1cb2/?limit=25&page=12

I tried digesting the discussion on SF regarding this, but couldn't find how I can help out.

Anyway, I built a new gaming rig and get this installed again with some pains :) It's working splendidly when it works (so smooth, no need for recalibration ever!), but ever so often it stops tracking for whatever reason. And quite often as well I go into ArmA and it won't work, there's no head movement even if FTNoIR is tracking ok. Even if I disable and then re-enable TrackIR under Configure > Controllers nothing works apart from exiting and re-starting both FTNoIR and ArmA, both. Any ideas as to what I could try here and what readings I could contribute are welcome (sthalik?).

Hi, time to report about my tests with my edtracker. I bought my at edtracker.co.uk for 40 GBP. I now, edtracker is an open Souce Project, but i want to support the inventors.

The EDtracker was build with two micro Boards. The first was the Arduino Micro Pro and the second was the MPU 9150. The rest of it ist software, Wire and Soldering.

Build Tutorial in englisch as pdf can found here

All parts you need coast at ebay about 15 $.

With the GUI software 4.04 it is very easy to flash the Arduino Board, so that you are ready to play :) Instructions can found here.

After driver install and calibration inside the GUI software i switched to opentrack, because than you can better adjust the movment.

The head tracker works with the new Interaction Menus of ACE 3.

I tested the Tracker now in ArmA 3, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, and IL 2. Setup most easy and very great working.

So why 170 $ for Track IR 5, check out the EDtracker :)

more Informations :

Video :

Homepage : http://edtracker.org.uk/

Pulstar as it's an extender I don't really see an obvious way to use it.

There are four emitters which might work but you'll need some way to  permanently set them to be on,  it's also possible that they will not be focused enough for your intended application as they may have a diffuser  in front of them that may have to be removed.

Never having seen one makes it guess work.

I could be totally wrong as I've only dabbled in this once or twice and didn't find it that great.

Also unless you have a good camera it's not going to be that great. 

Another variant would be this: iRtrack by hegykc

Still a Work in Progress, but looks pretty solid. Will use the PS3 Cam, but with a custom filter included in the package.

Thanks, I decided to stick to smartphone tracking for the time-being, no 6DoF but that's not a deal breaker. Too bad VR's re-launch this year isn't that affordable.