newboerg

Head Tracking for under 10€

Not currently it's not. I don't know if this is fixable with new firmware or Hatire plugin for FTNoIR or if the gyro+accelerometer is just incapable of doing roll, zoom and lean.

Roll works for me. You just have to attach the sensor horizontal to your headset.

So I have 3DOF

I am really excited. As I discoverd your thread last week I immediately orderd the parts over ebay. Right now, I am using a Wii remote and a custom soldered 3-Point IR-LED attachment to my headset. It works quite well while I use sanyo eneloops for easy recharging. I am looking forward to solder the arduino parts and maybe there is an improvement in accuracy. :)

So why not use a Cam? i could tell you why i sold my TrackIR today :)

I never could find the perfect Cam position so i had to constantly move it and stuff ( i dont sit on the same spot all the time...)

thats why i tried this and it works like a charm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8drhb76dg8xgkk9/IMAG0140.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opb70vlotrh5anz/IMAG0141.jpg

oh and see it in action...

I'm really fascinated by this project and I've decided to build my own one (previously used PS Eye + FTNoIR). The only problem is that I have no knowledge of circuits/electronics/soldering etc (yes, a complete noob :p).

If I buy the NanoWii (see links below) do I simply plug the board into my PC via USB and install the necessary software/plugins, or is any extra soldering/wiring required before I can start?

Also, what is the difference between these two:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22322__MultiWii_NanoWii_ATmega32U4_Micro_Flight_Controller_USB_GYRO_ACC.html

http://flyduino.net/Multikopter-FC-Multiwii_1

Edited by GDSN

Roll works for me. You just have to attach the sensor horizontal to your headset.

So I have 3DOF

Yeah, sorry. I meant it can't do positional data, i.e. moving left/right, forward/backward, up/down.

I'm really fascinated by this project and I've decided to build my own one (previously used PS Eye + FTNoIR). The only problem is that I have no knowledge of circuits/electronics/soldering etc (yes, a complete noob :p).

If I buy the NanoWii (see links below) do I simply plug the board into my PC via USB and install the necessary software/plugins, or is any extra soldering/wiring required before I can start?

Yes, NanoWii has the same gyro/acc and processor on a single board as in the separate boards I and others in this thread use, no soldering required.

The Arduino sketch gy_521_send_serial_HAT_ITG_spring_reset should work just as good with NanoWii.

Price ;)

Yes, NanoWii has the same gyro/acc and processor on a single board as in the separate boards I and others in this thread use, no soldering required.

The Arduino sketch gy_521_send_serial_HAT_ITG_spring_reset should work just as good with NanoWii.

I'm interested in the NanoWii as well, and just had a look at the user manual on hobbyking, and under the section "choose a power supply" it doesn't sound like powering it via USB is an option. But I'm really not well versed in all that electronics mumbo-jumbo, so could somebody who knows more about this perhaps confirm if this is indeed the case? :confused:

I'm interested in the NanoWii as well, and just had a look at the user manual on hobbyking, and under the section "choose a power supply" it doesn't sound like powering it via USB is an option. But I'm really not well versed in all that electronics mumbo-jumbo, so could somebody who knows more about this perhaps confirm if this is indeed the case? :confused:

I think that applies only if the board is used in an RC-heli where USB is a rare commodity.

I'd be surprised if that board really needs external power before you could even flash the sketch in it.

I think that applies only if the board is used in an RC-heli where USB is a rare commodity.

I'd be surprised if that board really needs external power before you could even flash the sketch in it.

Yeah that's what I was hoping, that it's just not mentioned because it isn't really a relevant option for its original application.

Price ;)

Thanks for your reply mate. It's settled then, I'll be putting my order in for a NanoWii very soon :)

Small question because I still don't have my parts (they are still oversea from singapore);

the last pages I read it is only 3DOF capable. Shouldn't it be able to allow 6DOF?

3 axis gyro, 3 vectors accelerometer? Would it be a plugin/firmware story (and those are Open Source from what I understood)?

can't awaiiiiiiit it - *drinking more cups of coffee*

One more thing CaptainObvious, if I order the NanoWii do I simply need to plug in the device via USB, install gy_521_send_serial_HAT_ITG_spring_reset driver (can you explain a bit more about what this is?), launch FTNoIR with the Hatire plugin, and that's it? Is anything else required?

Sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I've got everything right before I put my order in.

Edited by GDSN

One more thing CaptainObvious, if I order the NanoWii do I simply need to plug in the device via USB, install gy_521_send_serial_HAT_ITG_spring_reset driver (can you explain a bit more about what this is?), launch FTNoIR with the Hatire plugin, and that's it? Is anything else required?

Sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I've got everything right before I put my order in.

I've seen a report of it working http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/iht/thread/eced1cb2/?limit=25&page=2#1ee7

I've actually run into a problem with mine.

I've had it running in XP with Arma2/OA and GTL with no issues.

Today I thought I'd try in with win7 and A3 but for some reason it drifts really badly.

It's also drifting in facetracker graphs, it's about 2 degrees every second.

I went back to XP and it still working well, it's a dual boot system so it's the same hardware.

Sorted now, although it was working it was messed up but only on yaw. I tried to re-flash on Win7 OS however the Arduino kept stalling while uploading.

Anyway after several instal and uninstalling of the drivers the software uploaded and when tested in facetracker there was no more drift on yaw axis.

Edited by F2k Sel

Yep, you just connect the MultiWii to your PC, start up Arduino software and select appropriate settings (Tools->Board->Arduino Leonardo, and the correct Serial port.) then open the sketch (It's the program that the MultiWii uses, firmware) and hit Upload, the rest is just tinkering around with FTNoIR settings until satisfied with the results. :)

You got it, that's what these forums are for, right :ok:

Does this need to be placed on the headset horizontaly?

Oh yeah, I was wonderung that, too. As well as what solutions the people who've already done this have found for securing it to the headset?

Does this need to be placed on the headset horizontaly?
Oh yeah, I was wonderung that, too.

I believe it does, don't take my word on it tho, just something I read when briefly Googling the subject before mounting mine.

As well as what solutions the people who've already done this have found for securing it to the headset?

Fugly but effective :o

bRtZOwX.jpg

Haha, it may be fugly but if it works then who cares, right? :p

How have you found the device so far - have you noticed any drift? I've read on some forums that the MPU 6050 produces yaw drift over time.

Mines become unusable now constant drift..

I was concerned drift might be a problem. There's an unconnected project (designed for RC planes) here where he's provided some software to fix the drift but that uses the GY-85 instead of the MPU-6050 so I have no idea if it will be compatible with the Hatire FTNoIR plugin http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

It's more expensive as well as it includes a magnetometer, so I'm still hoping someone might be able to tweak the software to get the MPU-6050 working in 6DOF and knock up a similar calibration GUI to fix the drift.

Haha, it may be fugly but if it works then who cares, right? :p

Exactly, this is more of a proof of concept type thing, now that it works I might do a proper casing for it.

How have you found the device so far - have you noticed any drift? I've read on some forums that the MPU 6050 produces yaw drift over time.

Well to be honest I do have some issues with yaw drift occasionally, I'm not sure if it's the FTNoIR bugging after prolonged use, or is the module itself causing it, but sometimes, say after an hour or two, the yaw suddenly may start drifting and I need to restart the module/FTNoIR.

I'll update here if I find the cause and/or fix, but overall I'm very pleased with it, especially for the price.

I was concerned drift might be a problem. There's an unconnected project (designed for RC planes) here where he's provided some software to fix the drift but that uses the GY-85 instead of the MPU-6050 so I have no idea if it will be compatible with the Hatire FTNoIR plugin http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

It's more expensive as well as it includes a magnetometer, so I'm still hoping someone might be able to tweak the software to get the MPU-6050 working in 6DOF and knock up a similar calibration GUI to fix the drift.

Yea I looked at that but I wouldn't know where to start, sebastian on the other forum has a working gy-80 working with magnetometer and says he finds it more stable.

He's just updated some software for it as well so and it's not too expensive about double the MPU-6050 but if it works I don't mind.

I've ordered one but 2-3 weeks wait is a pain, It still only works in 3DOF I think.

I'm not fussed that mine doesn't work that well in A2/OA/A3, I think if I use it on it's side I can use the pitch to look left and right and roll for up and down which should be enough.

Yea I looked at that but I wouldn't know where to start, sebastian on the other forum has a working gy-80 working with magnetometer and says he finds it more stable.

He's just updated some software for it as well so and it's not too expensive about double the MPU-6050 but if it works I don't mind.

I've ordered one but 2-3 weeks wait is a pain, It still only works in 3DOF I think.

I'm not fussed that mine doesn't work that well in A2/OA/A3, I think if I use it on it's side I can use the pitch to look left and right and roll for up and down which should be enough.

What "other forum" are you referring to?

I still don't understand why this shouldn't work for 6DOF using the accelerometer and it would be great if someone who does know could explain if it's possible with software adjustments or if the hardware is just incapable of more than 3DOF.

You've posted there doveman I just use another name https://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/iht/thread/eced1cb2/

I guess it needs someone to write the code. Although mine doesn't really work it does show great potential, if pitch and roll can be stable I see no reason why yaw should pose such a problem.

It's probably down to a design flaw, maybe it's good enough for the intended purpose.

You've posted there doveman I just use another name https://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/iht/thread/eced1cb2/

I guess it needs someone to write the code. Although mine doesn't really work it does show great potential, if pitch and roll can be stable I see no reason why yaw should pose such a problem.

It's probably down to a design flaw, maybe it's good enough for the intended purpose.

Oh yeah, I lost track of that discussion as it doesn't send me e-mail notifications, so thanks for the reminder :)