newboerg

Head Tracking for under 10€

Spotted this unit:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22322__MultiWii_NanoWii_ATmega32U4_Micro_Flight_Controller_USB_GYRO_ACC.html?strSearch=nanowii

Features:

• Ultra-compact size

• Based on Atmega32u4

• 6 RX inputs

• 6 HW PWM @ 11bit (better resolution, smoother response)

• Up to 8 motors or servos

• Invensense MPU6050 6 axis gyro and accelerometer (supports auto-level)

• Onboard USB

Combines Atmega32u4 & MPU6050 together..., $20 bucks.

Found it at sourceforge forum:

http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/iht/thread/eced1cb2/?page=2

So this is basically both part already put together? All you have to do is get the software and tape it to your headset?

Probably need the breadboard too (don't ask me, I don't understand anything =)

yes its a kave:-) (Does yours buzz too, when theres no sound played?)

Its powerd by the connection micro usb cable. wireless would be possible, via bluetooth for example, but my pc lacks a bluetooth unit so i did not do this

yes thats basicly both parts soldered onto one board. you could google for "freeIMU" to get several of these things. RC Helicopter Guys need them regulary.

The Breadboard is not necessary, was just for testing. all you need is an arduino compatible microcontroller and a MPU6050 Unit

Spotted this unit:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22322__MultiWii_NanoWii_ATmega32U4_Micro_Flight_Controller_USB_GYRO_ACC.html?strSearch=nanowii

Features:

• Ultra-compact size

• Based on Atmega32u4

• 6 RX inputs

• 6 HW PWM @ 11bit (better resolution, smoother response)

• Up to 8 motors or servos

• Invensense MPU6050 6 axis gyro and accelerometer (supports auto-level)

• Onboard USB

Combines Atmega32u4 & MPU6050 together..., $20 bucks.

Found it at sourceforge forum:

http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/iht/thread/eced1cb2/?page=2

So would that be an all in one solution and does it work?

For those out there that are to broke to afford a TrackIR, you might have heard of FreeTrack or FaceTrackNoIR.

Both are WAY inferior to TrackIR (With IR Tracking) and this is not what i'd like to show you :)

Err, no. Especially not OpenTrack. I compared TrackIR 5 to my IR setup (PS3 Eye camera + clip) and yes, it was either a little bit more precise or a had a little bit faster response, but it was definitively not worth the price.

Also, you should get OpenTrack too. It's basically a "parallel developed" and newer version of FaceTrackNoIR with more features and better filtering (Accela Mk4).

http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/1150909/thread/8771c92d/?page=0

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/blob/master/README.md

edit: Vielleicht probier ich's aber irgendwann mal aus. ;)

Edited by Ephant

Err, no. Especially not OpenTrack. I compared TrackIR 5 to my IR setup (PS3 Eye camera + clip) and yes, it was either a little bit more precise or a had a little bit faster response, but it was definitively not worth the price.

Also, you should get OpenTrack too. It's basically a "parallel developed" and newer version of FaceTrackNoIR with more features and better filtering (Accela Mk4).

http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/1150909/thread/8771c92d/?page=0

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/blob/master/README.md

edit: Vielleicht probier ich's aber irgendwann mal aus. ;)

newest version of facetrack has the accela in as well.

but i needed to disable filters completly just smoothing set to 15. gets a great responsivness and there is realy no need for filters with this setup.

The 20$ Thing Should work, it has the same Microprocessor and the same Gyroscope Chip as my setup.

you might have to tweak the firmware a bit, because it will probably use other I/O Ports. Nothing fancy though.

The only diffenerence should be that you have to solder on 4 wires in my setup. my idea was to go as cheap as possible, thats why i put these two things in my guide.

yes its a kave:-) (Does yours buzz too, when theres no sound played?)

Its powerd by the connection micro usb cable. wireless would be possible, via bluetooth for example, but my pc lacks a bluetooth unit so i did not do this

yes thats basicly both parts soldered onto one board. you could google for "freeIMU" to get several of these things. RC Helicopter Guys need them regulary.

The Breadboard is not necessary, was just for testing. all you need is an arduino compatible microcontroller and a MPU6050 Unit

Yes it does, but it is almost inaudible. I don´t even notice it any more. But the sound is absolutely awesome!

The 20$ Thing Should work, it has the same Microprocessor and the same Gyroscope Chip as my setup.

you might have to tweak the firmware a bit, because it will probably use other I/O Ports. Nothing fancy though.

The only diffenerence should be that you have to solder on 4 wires in my setup. my idea was to go as cheap as possible, thats why i put these two things in my guide.

Yeah, the combined board is $19.99 or £12.16, whereas I can buy the two separate boards for £5.16 on e-bay, so it's over twice as expensive to buy the combined board.

Even so I might have bought it just to save having to stick them on some board and wire them together if I was certain that it would work but as I have no idea how to "tweak the firmware", I think I'll just follow your guide. If anyone else buys the combined board and manages to get it working, please post the updated firmware and I might buy it if I decide to build another one.

By the way, your guide says you use v3 of FaceTrackNoIR but the latest version appears to be v1.7.

Ordered and gonna try this thing when I get the parts.

Last year I tried PS3 webcam + facetrack and I could not get it to work satisfyingly.

I ordered a MPU-6050 too, i will try to let it work in combination with my arduino leonardo.

FaceTrackNoIR doesn't work fast and precise enough for me.

Great advancement on the webcam plus ir leds! Ordering something now. I wasnt aware the opensource scene already took on tracking. Can't wait to try it out!

I ordered a MPU-6050 too, i will try to let it work in combination with my arduino leonardo.

FaceTrackNoIR doesn't work fast and precise enough for me.

will work, the leonardo uses the same Microcontroller as the china board i described in my guide( just use other ports for "SDA SCL" <- I²C , analogue 4 and 5 i guess... but you ll need to check if thats correct)

Looks like my Pro Micro won't work, I guess that's the problem buying cheap junk from China.

Never mind I just realized my cable is only a charger, Cable will cost more than the boards.

Edited by F2k Sel

I bought one too one and a half weeks ago.

I hope it will arrive before weekend so I can try it out :).

Before I also tried the FaceTrackNoIR with face tracking and with IR Leds tracking.

Face tracking was way too delayed.

The IR leds where more precise and fast enough for enjoyable tracking, but my next problem was the angle/distance to my camera.

As my current computerplace is pretty "short" (jeah, small would fit an area, but I really almost have just one dimension of space^^) I'm too fast out of gimbal.

All my hopes are put into this tiny sweet little things now :)

I also tried IR Leds but never got around to completing the project as it always seemed to drift off.

I also could never get the camera in a good position and I have a large mirror behind me and I think it was getting reflections from it.

My second board arrived today so as soon as I get my lead I can test the first board and hope I have broken it.

They took about 10 days give or take a day, just feels longer.

Edited by F2k Sel

... and I have a large mirror behind me and I think it was getting reflections from it.

Sidenote: You might want to put the the data material you can find in floppy disks in front of your camera, this way it should really only see the IR Led

I did do that in the end but to be honest the FPS were so slow with my camera it wasn't going to work. It was just so jerky it wasn't worth it.

Sidenote: You might want to put the the data material you can find in floppy disks in front of your camera, this way it should really only see the IR Led

Actually as this graph shows http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=3205 floppy disc material isn't particularly good for this as it still lets in some visible light but also blocks a lot of the IR as well. Much better is camera film (exposed and developed I believe but I can't be sure about that).

I've just removed the IR filter from my PS3 Eye and it's working well now without any daylight filter (couldn't get it working properly at all before) but that might change when it gets a bit sunnier around here.

OP what a great project - thanks a lot for sharing!

I did get decent results from facetracking with a PS3 cam and FaceTrackNoIR (I actually ran the camera with my laptop and then set up a FaceTrackNoIR client on my main rig, just getting tracking data from the laptop - to leave all CPU power to Arma - this particular part worked excellently).

But facetracking did not really cut it in the end, I was not able to have consistently good lighting. Bought IR LEDs to build something but never got around to it. I think I'll try this instead.

I just got the parts and finished the test circuit, works like a charm, very accurate and good response to movement.

Now i'm off to the store to get some solder and finish the circuit, thanks for sharing OP! :dance1:

I'm still not getting anywhere.

The PC sees the board and drivers install

But when I run Blink test the light that is flashing changes for a second and then resumes flashing.

At the end of the upload I get an error avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I keep reading things about pressing reset buttons which it doesn't have.

DO the tests even work with this board or do I go ahead and build the whole thing?

Just putting this together now and noticed some errors on p.2. You seem to have mixed up the MPU and the Arduino, as it's the latter that has pins marked 2 & 3 and the MPU that has pins marked SDA, SCL. Neither has a 5v (both have VCC). The AD0 is on the MPU, so that line is correct.

So you might want to fix those if you ever revise the document.