Sign in to follow this  
Megatherion

AMD gpu fix! (and a few questions)

I had some issues starting Take On Mars, but finally fixed it. It would play the intro then at the main menu, the planet would spin for 2 seconds then everything locked up, no mouse movement, couldn't alt tab out... What I had to do was set a profile in Catalyst Control Center for TKOM.exe, set crossfire mode to use AMD pre-defined profile and use ForceSingleGPU. I hope this helps other AMD dual gpu users out there. In regards to this, could you please add support for crossfire (or quadfire in my case-two AMD Radeon 6990's-). I have seen a guide on steam to enable Nvidia SLI support, basically applying Arma2 profile to TKOM.exe, I tried that through Catalyst Control Center-didn't work-sure would be nice to optimize Take On Mars on my super gaming computer. My other questions are as follows. 1: when will full joystick support be implemented and please make it able to recognize joysticks that show up as multiple devices-eg. my Logitech G940 shows up as a separate joystick, throttle, and rudder(pedals+toebrakes). Also, will there be any force feedback support? 2: When will the current updated version be on Steam? I have version 0.8.0254 and I see the latest is version 0.8.0269 in the development build change log(or are these version numbers not the same thing?) 3: When I fly the zero g probe around, it doesn't use any power/battery/fuel, ie. it can go forever, nice to make money with but not very realistic. Is this a bug? 4: In the camera hud, what are the red squares that sometimes light up? 5: When flying the zero g probe and I enable gravity vector align and then later disable it, I have to enable kill rotation after that, I think it should automatically default to have kill rotation enabled, is this a bug? 6: On the zero g probe, the robotic arms are two legs that extend vertically, I don't understand the functionality of these, please explain. 7: Can you extend a mast vertically? It only pivots and turns the camera for me.

Now for my wish list:

1: Complete joystick support including axis tuning/mapping and force feedback.

2: AMD Crossfire/Quadfire compatibility.

3: Better Lander flying stability (make it flyable like the zero g probe).

4: A Radar Altimeter (maybe put it in the tech tree).

5: A locked chase camera view and/or a center camera command/keyboard shortcut (the chase camera view in the game is good, but I still mess it up moving the mouse).

6: A Use command/keyboard shortcut so I don't have to right click to show the cursor, left click to use, then right click again to hide cursor.

Thank you all for making such a fun and interesting simulator, keep up the excellent work on all the games/simulators this company has made, I own/play all of them.

Hi Megatherion, I'll try to answer your questions..

When will the current updated version be on Steam? I have version 0.8.0254 and I see the latest is version 0.8.0269 in the development build change log(or are these version numbers not the same thing?)

There are two builds available - the standard and the dev branch. The standard branch is updated once in a while, while the dev branch is updated quite often. You can opt into the dev branch by going to TKOM -> Properties -> Betas -> -Development in the list (ignore password input)

When I fly the zero g probe around, it doesn't use any power/battery/fuel, ie. it can go forever, nice to make money with but not very realistic. Is this a bug?

Work in progress, fuel hasn't been added yet but rest assured this is coming soon.

In the camera hud, what are the red squares that sometimes light up?

Those are only for focus, indicating which point detects something as close to you. Only practical for measuring distance and soon.

When flying the zero g probe and I enable gravity vector align and then later disable it, I have to enable kill rotation after that, I think it should automatically default to have kill rotation enabled, is this a bug?

Kill rotation is enabled by default, but when you select gravity vector align, then it must disable it. I may take a look at returning the default to what was set before the gravity vector align, but that is of much lower priority.

On the zero g probe, the robotic arms are two legs that extend vertically, I don't understand the functionality of these, please explain.

They are used to analyze surfaces below the probe, so use them by landing on the surface you wish to analyze, and ensure the belly of the probe is aimed down at the target, then extend the arms to bring analytic instruments to the surface.

Can you extend a mast vertically? It only pivots and turns the camera for me.

No a mast is purely for rotating, no extension is possible.

Complete joystick support including axis tuning/mapping and force feedback.

Complete joystick support is planned, but not on the top of the priorities list as of yet. It will be implemented within the foreseeable future. Force feedback support is not planned at this point.

AMD Crossfire/Quadfire compatibility.

I am unsure of the workload involved with this and will need to consult our programmers first. Will get a response asap.

Better Lander flying stability (make it flyable like the zero g probe).

Planned. The current state is dissatisfying.

A Radar Altimeter (maybe put it in the tech tree).

I presume you mean for the landers, in which case this is planned. Their HUD should feature better information for you to perform a landing.

A locked chase camera view and/or a center camera command/keyboard shortcut (the chase camera view in the game is good, but I still mess it up moving the mouse).

There are currently 3 modes for the camera - 1st, 3rd (global), 3rd (object). The 3rd person cam that is oriented via object is what I assume you refer to when you mention locked chase cam. I will look into adding a reset view control for the 3rd person cameras, added to todo list.

A Use command/keyboard shortcut so I don't have to right click to show the cursor, left click to use, then right click again to hide cursor.

Already implemented, simply press the left mouse button without bringing up the cursor first. If this doesn't work, make sure you have it mapped in keybindings ("Use").

Thank you for your replies, about the radar altimeter, I hope you make it usable for the zero g probe as well as landers, about the camera views, yes I am referring to the 3rd person (object) camera; it is really good, but an option to lock it so the mouse would not move it around is what I mean (and a reset view would be great). Keep up the great work!