Sign in to follow this  
mikemhz

Fall Damage

It's an issue in DayZ, it's an issue in ArmA3. Why do seemingly minor falls result in death or severe damage? Is every fall an uncontrolled slip resulting in a cracked skull?

I can understand that if you keep your stiff posture on landing you will hurt yourself, but seeing as there is no 'land gracefully' button, why not reduce the damage you take to zero when jumping from 4-5 meters or less?

It's an issue in DayZ, it's an issue in ArmA3. Why do seemingly minor falls result in death or severe damage? Is every fall an uncontrolled slip resulting in a cracked skull?

I can understand that if you keep your stiff posture on landing you will hurt yourself, but seeing as there is no 'land gracefully' button, why not reduce the damage you take to zero when jumping from 4-5 meters or less?

Please, jump from 4-5 meters with your combat gear on and post results here. (Don't)

Not all "combat gear" is equal in weight. Learn how to fall without hurting yourself. Drop your gear first, pass it down to a mate. Why am I stating the obvious to 'CaptainObvious' the military genius?

EDIT: quotes around combat gear because, due to the many different roles played by the military and civilians (who have no gear so to speak, yet are still playable in this game we are discussing), it has a wildly ambiguous definition.

Edited by mikemhz

Not all "combat gear" is equal in weight. Learn how to fall without hurting yourself. Drop your gear first, pass it down to a mate. Why am I stating the obvious to 'CaptainObvious' the military genius?

EDIT: quotes around combat gear because, due to the many different roles played by the military and civilians (who have no gear so to speak, yet are still playable in this game we are discussing), it has a wildly ambiguous definition.

This, nor DayZ, isn't Mirrors Edge where player should be climbing and jumping buildings, there's zero point in reducing fall damage, especially to the extreme you proposed, falling from 5 meters is dangerous, with or without gear.

By mentioning DayZ I was alluding to the fact that it is a systemic issue in the engine being that there are no vertical controls for infantry.

4-5 meters is as tall as a house, that may have been an overestimate on my part.

^what he said.

5m fall -- yeah that's pushing it. But a 10ft/2m fall is not going to kill you.

Even wearing naught but pants, sneakers, and a t-shirt, a 10ft drop is no small feat. Wearing even a small amount of combat gear can offset your balance, over-stress your legs on landing, and prevent many of the fall techniques you'd use to save your bones and joints from a "small" fall like that.

For comparison we'll look at a modern-day paratrooper. We'll say they're US Army using a standard static-line T-10 parachute. According to Wikipedia the average descent speed of a T-10 is 22-24 Feet Per Second (6.7 to 7.3 m/s). With a bit of physics, your end velocity from a 10 foot (3 meters) drop is about 25.3 fps (7.7 m/s). Paratroopers are sent to school to learn how to properly fall/land. Despite this, there is still a very high percentage of broken legs and injured joints.

So...Considering we don't fall to the ground every time we jump from the top of a 1 story building, you have to assume that you're always bracing for the landing. Doing this greatly increases the risk of bodily damage, so I'd say that the current system of fall from height=hurt or killed is sufficiently realistic without being overly complicated.

If you still doubt me, go find your paintball marker/airsoft rifle, add all your harnesses and surplus gear, then jump off your roof or balcony. Don't want to because you'll break your legs/ankles/knees/hips/head? I thought so.

Edited by AJsarge

10ft fall could still seriously injure you. It's not unexpected that this would be hazardous.

I survive 5-10ft falls constantly, though, so I'm not sure why it's an issue.

All that is valid but you have to take in account the Arma clumsyness involved in moving around, especially in tight spaces or ledges.

All that is valid but you have to take in account the Arma clumsyness involved in moving around, especially in tight spaces or ledges.

True. I think this and many other issues would be less of a problem if ARMA's movement wasn't so "sticky".

As someone who's fallen straight down a 10ft hole (stairs collapsed under me) I can attest that it hurts. A lot.

I was certain I broke a leg but luckily I shuffled away with just bruises, banged up leg and injured pride.

I think the key difference here is between intentionally "dismounting" from a height and falling off. The game has no way of telling which happened. Intent on the player's part is not tracked by magic sensors.

So, "droping" off around 5m up even with "combat gear" should not be a serious issue in my opinion. i.e. no damage. However I understand why it exits in the game; limiting gimmicky actions on the account of players.

It would also be worth noting that my idea of combat gear is boots/uniform, Kevlar, Vest with SAPIs and magazines/grenades/IFAK, and rifle. If you had all of that and a ruck sack on with some of the following: extra belts for your 240B or an AT missle, maybe a mortar tube; that would be a fucking terrible idea to try and drop off 5m. I can tell you from experience. Certainly would not kill you of course.

Edited by Chocolate

5m is really, really high.

I think a bigger issue is that the game doesn't handle falling well in the first place. There are no animations for it so you just fall in whatever stance you were in when you jumped or fell off. Then, when you hit the ground, you kind of slide/get stuck for a second or two. It's really weird and bad.

I think a bigger issue is that the game doesn't handle falling well in the first place. There are no animations for it so you just fall in whatever stance you were in when you jumped or fell off. Then, when you hit the ground, you kind of slide/get stuck for a second or two. It's really weird and bad.

Actually, A3 has a new falling animation, but it doesn't activate on really small heights.

Nobody said anything about five meters, I don't think.

So true. I hate jumping off a 2ft ledge and being frozen in place for those crucial seconds.

^ Agreed. Major peeve of mine, plus it resets my stance/weapon position.