Sign in to follow this  
(st6)predator

Why didn't BI animate vehicle doors?

+1, I'd really like to know this. Where is the Screen from?

They did for about a week, but then they regressed it.

Yup, I believe because they only had it working on a couple of vehicles they took it out until it was more polished and available on more vehicles.

Yup, I believe because they only had it working on a couple of vehicles they took it out until it was more polished and available on more vehicles.

so its a never then...

Will be a nice feature in future as I love doors that open as done in a few A2 mods, reminds me as a kid with matchbox cars and doors opening lol, I wouldn't rip them a new one for it though, doors not opening has 0 effect on gameplay, hopefully in the future like how they slipped the climbing in and out of vehicle animation.

Will be a nice feature in future as I love doors that open as done in a few A2 mods, reminds me as a kid with matchbox cars and doors opening lol, I wouldn't rip them a new one for it though, doors not opening has 0 effect on gameplay, hopefully in the future like how they slipped the climbing in and out of vehicle animation.

Well, it could have an effect on gameplay as you could shoot units inside vehicles. I really would like to have it, even if the get in / get out anim aren't adapted.

Well, it could have an effect on gameplay as you could shoot units inside vehicles. I really would like to have it, even if the get in / get out anim aren't adapted.

Hopefully it's just one of those "we ran out of time to implement properly so let's leave it till later" jobs, or maybe the campaign requires it at some stage? This is the sim part I like, moving parts!

As far as i remember this was in the Beta, but it was deactivated for some reason. I believe it had something to do with BI not being satisfied with collisions of the doors in different states. For example you could not throw grenades into the Mohawk when the door was open.

and neither was it providing cover, since the fire geo was off completely.

I distinctly recall an anecdote by someone that while you could actually fire bullets and rockets/missiles through the opened doors -- there's a hilarious screenshot of a missile or rocket literally passing through an open passenger compartment -- grenades would instead bounce off of invisible barriers...

This was done and done well by the AAW mod crew back in Arma 2, along with detailed interior. You could look at the whole interior from inside and out, including details like the in-real-time LCD display screen console for the joystick-controlled roof-mounted .50 cal.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/sabretron/Rarma2oa2010-10-2215-35-45-03lo.jpg (115 kB)

Edited by MissionCreep

I was wondering if the ported A2 will have animated vehicle doors?

depends who parts them, how much they change to the model they are portng , and if they want to make this feature for it...if you ask if it is inherited, it is not.