kaelies

Kaelies' South Zagorian Army Mod

Version 0.3.2

Download link available at first post

Both main addon and language addon are updated

(Click images to expand in full glory!)

JSDwJGX.png

South Zagoria

Introducing the new modernized South Zagorian forces, who have spent some of the extra money they've acquired from about three years of their battles with CDF and Takistani forces, from taking over parts of the oil-rich Takistan, and the greatly industrialized power of their nation on restandardizing to the 7n10 rifle round, optical scopes for all machinegunners, and a new, improved uniform. They've also increased spending on certain improvements to vehicles, but those aren't included yet. The PKM and SVD have been added as well to give marksmen and machinegunners, the AK-74sz now has a hooded front sight, and the RPK-74sz now has a cloth box for its belts.

Rumors that the new uniform has some sort of high-tech features have been denied by the SZ army.

In the works for the South Zagorian faction are of course vehicles such as the BMP-2, BTR, Kamaz (including version carrying BM-21 grad missiles), BRDM, Vodnik, and potentially the T-72, T-80, UH-1H huey, and Jawa-353 motorcycle. Heavier weapons to counter other forces also getting these, such as the Metis rocket, will also be developed. Also in the works are scout and sniper units, and eventually special and/or elite forces. Finally, the South Zagorian army will have a partisan division which is trained in guerrilla warfare and is used to fight guerrillas or insurgencies, and South Zagoria itself will have an armed populace similar to Switzerland, although with older firearms.

7YNCZjo.png

Chernarussian Defense Forces

Also introducing the modernized and westernized CDF forces, whose slowly losing battle against South Zagoria has prompted many western nations to support them. While the prime assistant is the United States, who has funneled bulletproof vests, Stinger missiles, heavy weaponry, and the majority of new weapons that the CDF uses, various other benefactors like Belgium, Germany, and other NATO countries have sent in aid as well with the hope that the CDF army will, after defeating South Zagoria, purchase more supplies from them. The CDF still holds onto some traditional values, and many of the newer weaponry has been modified where possible, to suit the CDF doctrine: M16s and M4s all fire full-auto, the RPG-7 continues to be used, the charging handle on the SCAR has been swapped to the right side, and other small details have been modified to suit the country's purposes.

In the words for the CDF are vehicle reskins of those which will be added to the South Zagorian faction, and potentially also western vehicles such as the Humvee. More western weapons will also be added, such as perhaps the G36, TOW, and other fun stuff. Special and/or elite forces are also in the works for the CDF, as well as allies such as the US and NAPA.

bNmOpQc.png

Takistani Army

In contrast, Takistan isn't exactly a nation to be modernized, but it has mobilized many more troops with a greater variety of weapons, including the FN FAL and Ishapore 2A.

In the works for them are some lesser-powered vehicles and such, and perhaps more variants of those weapons which they already posses. Also in the works may be special forces and the ally of Isklaristan, which uses supplies similar to Iran's.

-------------------

Today's update was heavily focused on infantry, and its possible that the new one will be as well. Hopefully this post also describes what I'm aiming for in terms of South Zagoria's technology: More powerful and expensive things are older and cheaper variants, i.e. T-72, BMP-2, Mig-23, but the cheaper improvements are there, i.e. Vodnik, Kamaz, 7n10, scopes, uniform, etc. Considering its roots, I would say that infantry is a big focus of the faction :) I think that even without ultramodern tech, South Zagoria can be a very respected and feared force thanks to those improvements it does make, and the training of its army!

While a full changelog is on the front page, a few key new things:

-Every rifle cartridge has had its external and terminal ballistics revisited

-Unarmoured units now have more health

-Armoured units have less of an advantage over unarmoured ones

-Units which have scopes on their weapons now start with said scopes ON their weapon

-The Mi-24's YAK-B cannon has a new sound thanks to LAxemann, configured to work similar to the cannon on the BIS A-10

Also, a pretty big bug that I don't think I can fix without causing other problems:

-Picking up a weapon with a GP-25 from the ground causes the GP-25 itself to become invisible

Finally, remember that there are additional .pbos available in the "optional" folder, and different sound variants in the "sound_variants" folder for your enjoyment. If you for some reason prefer Arma 3 sounds, feel free to remove "kae_sz_weapons_snds.pbo", but be warned that the sounds will be completely default and not awesome.

Edited by Kaelies

The download link has been disabled.

Error (509)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Anyway, good job! Hope to be able to download today :)

Updated release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

The additional language addon is availbale on our main downloadpage as a seperate download as well!

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Really like how this is going along dude :)

If you need anything "new", let me know

And are all the units ALiVE compatible ?

SJ

They really should be, except the UAZs. Please, give it a try and let me know how it goes, I feel like you're asking me because you're trying and it isn't working. I really have no clue whats wrong with the config for the UAZs in terms of getting them spawned, so I need someone's help with that...

@Foxhound, @Sonsalt6

Awesome, thanks for the continued support and updates!

@LAxemann

Thanks for the compliments and especially for the help with sounds! I'll be sure to let you know via PM when I have new ideas :)

@kaelis you have a issue with the m249 the spent cartridges are not thrown out of that "hole" in the upper reciever, they are thrown out directly over the magazin on the right side

the linked belt is thrown out on the position your cartridges are thrown out now.

you can see what i mean on the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUCBc0cgPR0

Thanks a lot for the ARMA2 times units. It's a candy that we can fly mi-24 in arma3. By the way, I've found that the pipper is not centered on the head up display.

A couple of suggestions if I may:

*This release's UAZ-469 is véry vulnerable to riflefire, shooting a full magazine at it makes it explode already. I know it isn't an armored vehicle, but even for a car it is quickly set ablaze that way?

*Is it possible for the old 2009 SZ units to receive (masked) Takistani helmets for standard? Doing so makes them appear different, and a bit more dated then the correct appearance of the modernized SZ units. Atleast to my opinion.. It also makes them look kind of like the Chernarussian Red Army units that Relikki made way back in the Arma 2 period.. And those were also based on the ChDKZ/Chedaki. So possibly it may become a historic reference to Relikki's work, as that work later on also went up in use within Project:CDF for A2.

*Is the Ishapor/Lee-Enfield rifle meant to be like a pea-shooter? I thought that a single round of such to the head would instantly kill an opponent? Are we talking .33 caliber here, (7.62x39)? For the rest it's a nice addition.

*Maybe it's an idea to retexture the small-backpack and waterbottle-holder as black as the modern SZ vest is? Right now it seems to stand out a bit.

*And perhaps it's an idea to rename this project into: Project: Green Sea Region aka P:GSR? (named after P:CDF/GSEP from Arma2 period; Since most of the A2 armaverse 'Green Sea' region's armies/units seem to be put into it.) Such name possibly may attract the topic more attention. Anyways, well done work on the units so far.. Got noting more to add for now.. Maybe later on.

Question: I play with MCC and I notice that the AI units with the factions in this mod (particularly rifleman) are always firing on full automatic. Is this intended?

Question: I play with MCC and I notice that the AI units with the factions in this mod (particularly rifleman) are always firing on full automatic. Is this intended?

One would assume so. As this is meant to be a Eastern European addon, it makes sense because many of them go full auto most of the time.

First of all, say how I enjoy this mod.

Second, the AA soldier in CDF ( modern ) doesn't have ammo for the AK.

@kaelis you have a issue with the m249 the spent cartridges are not thrown out of that "hole" in the upper reciever, they are thrown out directly over the magazin on the right side

the linked belt is thrown out on the position your cartridges are thrown out now.

you can see what i mean on the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUCBc0cgPR0

Good eye! I didn't know that, so thanks for the heads-up; it should be fixed next update. Let me know if you find any other bugs like that ;)

Thanks a lot for the ARMA2 times units. It's a candy that we can fly mi-24 in arma3. By the way, I've found that the pipper is not centered on the head up display.

You're welcome! Do you mean the not centered left/right or not centered up/down? I've found that the extra line on the reticle, below the center, is a good starting point for aiming with for most distances.

A couple of suggestions if I may:

*This release's UAZ-469 is véry vulnerable to riflefire' date=' shooting a full magazine at it makes it explode already. I know it isn't an armored vehicle, but even for a car it is quickly set ablaze that way?

*Is it possible for the old 2009 SZ units to receive (masked) Takistani helmets for standard? Doing so makes them appear different, and a bit more dated then the correct appearance of the modernized SZ units. Atleast to my opinion.. It also makes them look kind of like the Chernarussian Red Army units that Relikki made way back in the Arma 2 period.. And those were also based on the ChDKZ/Chedaki. So possibly it may become a historic reference to Relikki's work, as that work later on also went up in use within Project:CDF for A2.

*Is the Ishapor/Lee-Enfield rifle meant to be like a pea-shooter? I thought that a single round of such to the head would instantly kill an opponent? Are we talking .33 caliber here, (7.62x39)? For the rest it's a nice addition.

*Maybe it's an idea to retexture the small-backpack and waterbottle-holder as black as the modern SZ vest is? Right now it seems to stand out a bit.

*And perhaps it's an idea to rename this project into: Project: Green Sea Region aka P:GSR? (named after P:CDF/GSEP from Arma2 period; Since most of the A2 armaverse 'Green Sea' region's armies/units seem to be put into it.) Such name possibly may attract the topic more attention. Anyways, well done work on the units so far.. Got noting more to add for now.. Maybe later on.[/quote']

Hello Rovka!

I've fixed the UAZ, it wasn't that I made the UAZ weaker, but rather that I made most of the rounds stronger. What I'll be doing with the next update is setting the damage tolerance of the vehicle itself to be very high, so that it will almost never explode (I guess unless you drop a bomb or two on it), but the wheels, windows, and other parts can be disabled as you would expect them to; that seems to be more realistic compared to simply exploding when enough damage has been done to the car. I plan to include this for all vehicles I'll be doing in the future, including armour, so if its a bad idea someone please stop me now :)

In regards to the UAZ, I've also changed a few parameters to stop it from sliding around too much, and I think it's done something with the braking at high speeds; from the max 120 km/h to zero it seems to stop about as fast as I would expect it to.

I'm afraid I probably won't be doing metal helmets for the SZ units, even the older ones, but I may consider them for the militia or something. One other possibility, which I can't say that I will do, is maybe setting up a part of the military that isn't as well-equipped in the old versions, which might still use that helmet; can't say for sure.

The Ishapore isn't meant to be a pea-shooter at all, and I haven't experienced the problems you've had with it; using standard M80 ammo I was able to one-shot to the head at both close range, and at about 100-200m, on the armoured CDF units; using DM111 allowed me to kill them even more. Make sure there isn't any conflicting addon or difficulty setting and let me know what you're shooting at if its still problematic.

I don't think I'd do a black colouring of the equipment, but a darker green might be called for; I'll look into it eventually.

I do intend to keep the current name though, South Zagoria is still at the heart of the addon despite the new additions!

Hey,

It is indeed intended that riflemen and machinegunners fire at full-auto, especially the South Zagorian units whose doctrine calls for it; I would imagine that the same holds true for the CDF and Takistan, and even the Westernized CDF forces still hold on to the idea that full auto is generally more effective. Finally my understanding is that Russian doctrine teaches that one should have their gun on full-auto and fire in controlled bursts, which is what I've tried to recreated in the addon. I do believe that the units should have a limited burst when they're firing instead of dumping the whole mag though, so let me know if that isn't the case.

When I add the US and perhaps other nations, I will be sure to have the a.i. use single-shot fire. Finally, if the Marksmen using the Mk12 or the SVD are firing in full-auto...well, let me know, since that is obviously wrong :p

First of all, say how I enjoy this mod.

Second, the AA soldier in CDF ( modern ) doesn't have ammo for the AK.

Hey, thanks for letting me know. That bug slipped past me, the AA soldier should have had an M16 the same as the AT soldier. It's fixed for the next update.

---

In addition to the bug fixes and changes I've just said I've done, the next update will have more unique sounds for the various weapons, and LAxemann has already delivered awesomeness for the m16, m249, and m240!

I've also been working on a variant of the reload for the AK which is more "in your face", after looking at what made the m16's reload so "fun" to use (imo). It's still the same right-handed reload, just I've repositioned the gun so that you can see what you're doing if you look down; and you can alternatively keep looking straight ahead and still keep an eye on your target if you prefer. Here's a preview of what it looks like in first-person:

Grabbing the magazine

Pulling back the bolt (1)

Pulling back the bolt (2)

The first new one that I make will probably be either for the FAL or the PKM.

Can you import all types of XM8 rifles from arma 2? I think that it would be a cool rifle to have, since its in the future. Nice work last update :)

I'll do an XM8 version of the CDF soldier, maybe one of the US as well. I already have two types of XM8 in the addon (check classlists), one of which is used by Stevens (CDF Story). Each one has a 1x and 3x variable-zoom scope and the two should fit most roles possible. Let me know what other variants you'd like to see though!

Any plans for armor or air yet?

Yes please! Even just a BTR or BMP would be nice, as sometimes I need just that little more firepower and the ground is quite lacking considering we have air vehicles

Yes please! Even just a BTR or BMP would be nice, as sometimes I need just that little more firepower and the ground is quite lacking considering we have air vehicles

I also agree that a BTR and BMP would make a really nice addition for the next update ( also support trucks ). Are the basis of any conflict.

BMP-2 is in the works, and will eventually come about, but it needs time to be finished properly. And regarding this modification; Kaelies is doing most, if not all on his own. So please give the man some time. :)

I've started the process on a BMP-2, but I might be a bit slow on delivering it! Be sure that I'll have at least the main and the Medical versions, and I will probably have a few extra versions specific to the South Zagorians, whose engineers feel there is no problem in say, lifting a DShKM off a t-72 and translating it onto a BMP.

I did have thoughts about vehicles past that, but they might not happen soon.

@RedPheonix

Not sure what you mean by "air", considering there are already Hinds in the addon; if you mean planes then no, no plans for them yet (unless you count "hmm...someday I might want to add this" :p).

---

One last thing, please feel free to post any bug reports you might find here, and I'll try to get them fixed in the next update. I've already got things like the m249's ejection fixed, and I know how to and will fix the rocket pods on the hind. Finally, this next update might take a little longer to do since I'll be trying to fit the BMP in there as well as taking more time to work on other things; we'll see how it goes :D

@RedPheonix

Not sure what you mean by "air", considering there are already Hinds in the addon; if you mean planes then no, no plans for them yet (unless you count "hmm...someday I might want to add this" :p).

No, I meant transport helicopters or transport planes.

Gnat's An-72 would be a perfect addition for your futures army.