kaelies

Kaelies' South Zagorian Army Mod

Do you think you could include, in the CDF infantry, a "rifleman (SCAR)"?

Since they're becoming more "westernized", and I'm talking about a variant of the regular soldier.

I think it might be better for CDF Paratroopers/Special Forces to have the Scar's

I think it might be better for CDF Paratroopers/Special Forces to have the Scar's

I kinda agree with that, maybe not every paratrooper, your SF for sure, but paras's I'd reserve them to SQL maybe TL, and divy the rest out like the minimi, m16's/m4 rifles,law/rpg-18 or a modified RPD like this

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq-DmdVRkcUZ6HVou43iAOnGXQqLp9HNpfgy9FYtwQdemF_cWv

http://www.tactical-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ds-arms-rpd-762x39mm.jpg

Kalelies. Good news about CUP ! With your attention to detail it can only benefit the whole effort. I'm excited about the RHS packs too their a2 kit was stunning esp the little touches like inflating tyres, infantry on the outside etc etc.

Hopefully we'll start getting some master packs coming out soon. Have you tested your units with alive ? Would be good to set your chaps as Opfor for our uk marines.

Sj

Based on the consensus so far and a few idea I've had of my own, I'll make the SCARs one of the variants of guns which the westernized CDF forces will have, who will probably end up having a medley of various guns from many different origins (More excuses to put more guns in!); makes sense that the spec ops in particular would use them, barring a better idea I'll have it be standard for WCDF spec ops.

In regards to ALiVE: It should work perfectly, the units spawn and all, and faction classnames are listed in the first post. However, I can't for the life of my get the groups with vehicles to work properly, despite trying through different times to mimic the default BIS setup, the example setup on the ALiVE wiki, or even other examples I've seen floating about. Here's the config file for the groups I'm using, if someone could get it to work I would greatly appreciate it; even with that version it failed to spawn UAZs last time I tried.

---------------------------

For how I calculated the new terminal ballistics, I tried to implement real-life data from what sources I could find in terms of how much initial damage and how much bleeding each round might cause, then did a sorta gamey calculation to apply something all at once (since we don't have bleeding in default arma):

I start out calibrating an arbitrary 10 "hp" per person, 1hp for the head; each bullet does a base 2 damage on impact, then extra if it fragments or yaws. Then, based on the caliber of the bullet I set up a certain amount of bleeding, its pretty arbitrary but I set it as "1 per second" for a ~.22 caliber round and 1.5 for a ~.31 caliber round. Next, the fun part comes in how the bullet yaws or fragments on impacting something, I added 1 extra damage for yaw and 2 extra damage for fragmenting, then 3 extra bleeding on yaw of a normal bullet and 4.5 for a 7.62x54r or 7.62x51mm bullet; and 6 extra bleeding on a fragmenting bullet.

Afterwards, I set 7n6 as the "base" for all these calculations and have it have a somewhat arbitrary hit value of 8.5 in the actual arma engine, and calculate that 10hp - (2 + 1) damage = 7 hp after a hit, then 7hp / (4 bleeding) = 1.75 as a constant. Afterwards, I go to each bullet and do the same calculation of (10hp - (initial damage))/bleeding to get a new constant, then divide the old 1.75 by this new value to get a ratio, and multiply the 8.5 hit value by the new ratio to get the hit value of each new bullet, in the arma engine.

As an example, Mk318 will do 2 damage and cause 1 bleeding, but it fragments at most speeds, so it does an additional 2 damage after fragmenting and causes an additional 6 bleeding; 6 / 7 ~= 0.86, 1.75/0.86 ~= 2.04, 2.04 * 8.5 = hit value of 17.35.

I foresee the most controversial values being those for M885 5.56 and M43 7.62; M885 only fragments to a close distance (up to 700m, through the calculator I point out later this came out to only be about to 150m) so I did not include fragmenting in its calculations, to avoid it being overly powerful at longer distances; M43 neither fragments nor yaws in an appreciable distance so its the least damaging rifle round I've included. Even worse, penetration values of 7n6 and m43 are the same, since its claimed that both penetrate just 6mm of St3 steel at 300m.

In terms of the ballistic values, I used Dust2Dust's calculater with G7 values of BCs available on wikipedia or from a forum post which translated Russian values to G7; for 7n22 and 7n24's BC.s, which were not available, I used the same form factor as for 7n6 (available on wikipedia), but went through this equation to increase the BC relative to the increase in weight of the projectile. (an entire 4.1g for 7n24!).

To put this in perspective, I've reworked the health values of my units as well to have 8.25 armor when there is no armour, while the CDF and SZ flak vest will give you 8.5 armour (but the explosionShielding value is 12x as high).

If you have a request for another round type or want to point out a mistake in my method, values, etc, feel free to do so.

What you should do is make them seperately in the editor, e.g CDF western like in Arma 2s chernarus mod.

@Kaxii

Yep, basically thats what I want to do. They'll probably be a different faction altogether so that one can set up the different variants better in ALiVE.

I came to notice that Reyhard had released a T-72 for Arma 3, and along with it a tank-porting tutorial plus sample package.. Maybe this may help you out on doing the BMP-2, and perhaps others in the more distant future?

click here for link. <-- Needs this: please do click me aswell.. (second link's download has no files in the standard (non shared sources) .rar file!) In the meantime: Best of luck with the mod. :)

Edit: In game they can be found under AAF/Armored. All that is needed is for the TK (taki) and CDK (CDF) versions to be swapped into their right places in the editor-menu. What you wish to use for Aristan is up to you, but I'd say for starters we might use the dusty yet plain green T-72 and perhaps other A2:OA vehicles that belong to the OA Guerrilla faction.

However, I tend to believe to have Aristan be a breakaway province within Takistan itself, bordering Ardistan (Aristan based on Republic of Srpska, that nearly being a near namesake to Serbia) to its west, and the kingdom of Takistan to it's east and north respectively. I'd like to say it's even being in a situation to as what South Zagoria is in; Namely a state of (even more brutal) civil war. Hence the possible return of a futuristic UN intervention on former Taki soil, because the Aristan/Takistan war perhaps lasts longer, kind of like the stalemate Iran/Iraq war of the 1980's. And now that Colonel Aziz has been removed since 2009, it's like a falling apart of the old Soviet Union if you will... According to my opinion: They smell autonomy and self-governance. And all that whilst the original Western OpArrowhead timeline coalition troops had mostly pulled out, perhaps save for some long-term bases remaining here and there. (take note that the 2035 setting actually is using contemporary stuff, available in our current timeline; be it as prototype, regular, or Special Forces usage, etc. etc.)

Anyways, again thanks for all the effort you're putting into the whole stuff so far! :)

Edited by Thani '82
adding second url, with prev. missing content.

@Thani:

Thanks! The links might come in handy when I go work on the BMP.

In regards to Aristan; One thing I've decided on is to rename it, both since I've had a request, and because it might be good to prevent any confusion. I do see your point in having a breakaway region of Takistan also exist as a reason for UN intervention, but it isn't what I'm going for with this faction, and I'm not even sure that Arma can support enough sides for that to properly work. I'd need something like five playable ones as opposed to the current four, so I could have the following sides (which could at any given point all be hostile to each other):

Blufor: CDF and allies (NAPA, USA)

Opfor: Takistan and allies (Takistani Militia, Perisa)

Indep: South Zagoria and allies (SZ Partisians, Russia)

Civilian: Civilians

????: Breakaway from Takistan and allies

Of course, we could always shove it in with NATO support, but I don't know if I'd like to do that.

@Fisto:

I guess that's a reasonable arguement, though it could also make sense if the corresponding nations didn't send their most modern troops in.

Since I've split the CDF into normal CDF units (older) and modernized CDF units, and (as of now) will be splitting South Zagoria into an older and a more modern (in a different sense) variant, I might as well do the same with every other faction and do it in a way that makes sense. The timeline in terms of equipment will probably be the modern-ish RU units I have now as the modernized RU, and something else for older units; for the US, it would be like I mentioned, woodland-style US units from older times, and I guess I will also do a more modern set which would just be the A2 units ported over (if I'm porting stuff over anyways, might as well include the original versions).

That way I can have the modern units there, making sense in terms of the timeline, and also have the older stuff as a separate thing for playing with; part of why I wanted to go with older stuff is because I don't like the direction that Russia and the US are going in for their equipment, even if some of that stuff does make sense, but I can certainly make sure to include at least what Arma 2 offered in terms of their modern supplies.

---

Some W.I.P. stuff I've done over the past two days. Hand/reload animations will be worked on over the weekend before release:

There will be a modernized South Zagorian faction with more available optics, a different uniform, and better ammo, using spoils from their war with the CDF and Takistan (Oil money, hooray!).

Here's some nice gentlemen showing off the new uniform, a new PKM and a new SVD:

JSDwJGX.png

-

As I've said before, there will also be a modernized CDF faction with a more western approach to equipment, but still with old-fashioned beliefs. Expect to see slight modifications on their gear (i.e, SCAR has its charging handle on the same side as the AK), and usage according to older, more familiar doctrine (i.e., they'll be using m4a1s and a full-auto m16a4, as opposed to the burst feature the US will use; reloading is also done with the right hand).

Here we have some CDF gentleman showing us their new stuff:

7YNCZjo.png

-

Meanwhile, Takistan arms part of its forces (not a new faction exactly) with the older variants of the m16, supplementing the AKM.

So this leaves my wishlist at:

More bullet types, better ballistics

PKM

SVD

AK-54rsz (7.62x54r AKsz)

AK-56sz (guess)

New vehicle camouflage for CDF forces

RU forces get proper vehicle camouflage

UN "camouflage" for Mi-24

An additional uniform maybe?

NAPA (Blufor)

Takistani Insurgents (Opfor)

South Zagorian Partisians (Indfor) [think more army]

South Zagorian Militia (Indfor) [think more civilian]

US forces (Blufor)

Westernized/Modernized/(traitor) CDF (Blufor)

Aristan Perisa (Opfor) Isklaristan [think: Afghanistan is to Takistan as Iran is to Aristan. Farsi, HK g3s, HK33s, oh my]

HK mp5, HK33, G3 (I already made some, just gotta port from A2)

M16-style rifles (Inc M16, M4)

Insurgent Weapons

Other Western Weapons?

Other Eastern attachments

The new South Zagorian and CDF things can be accessed as entirely new factions, called "CDF (Modern)" and "South Zagoria (Modern)", respectively. The newer takistani troops will be accessable as a new type of unit, similar to how we have "Men (Woodland)" and "Men (Savannah)" for existing factions.

(I had too much fun typing out the descriptions for the screenshots :rolleyes:)

Edited by Kaelies

Sounds, great looking screenshots. You certainly have quite a huge roadmap already worked out. The South Zagorian's will be perfect adversaries for my Nogovan's :)

Perisa hmn? Let's shake those letters up a bit, if I may? Pirsae (pronounce as: pihr-sah), or Espria? (is already taken for Arma2 I believe.) Or something totally different: Isklaristan (which means 'Independent/Autonomous Country' in Arab language, that with having all the 'stans around in the Green Sea region; Like Takistan, Karzeghistan, or Ardistan for example, is the one I personally like the most. Fits right in according to my personal opinion, if I may say so. :) But as usual, in the end it's your call what to name it, I'm just suggesting things here, that's all.)

As for the screenshots: Nice job on both weapons and equipment! But could you standardize the blackish vests for the SZ faction, save for the UNO part of it, which uses light-blue? Black is the biggest camouflaging colour on medium to long range distance.

But close-up it's easy to identify the SZ faction because of it. As for the weaponry, I'd like to suggest using a black AK-102 series (or whatever weapon your Russian faction uses.) over the wooden stocked version. Looks more modern to my opinion.

Unless you wish to keep the woodstocked version for easy identification once you throw in some (older type) US forces into the fray, whom also use (mostly) black M4 carbines for standard. Anyways, glad to be of help regarding those earlier given tank-sample urls.

I'm eager to see the new CDF-vehicle camouflage though; Is it going to be the same as what old Project:CDF had? (or perhaps based on that?) Same question goes for the SZ-faction's vehicles though.. But keep up the splendid work Kaelies. One at a time, doesn't break the line, eh. :) Or in other words, take care, even whilst I know you seem to love to modify and create.

Edited by Thani '82

@R0adki11

Thanks! Great to hear that you're interested in using the SZ as an opposing force to your Nogovans, let me know if you end up making any missions pitting the two versus each other! I suppose we will have to make sure to finish fighting versus either the CDF or the Takistanis soon though, before we have to fight a war on three fronts :)

@Thani

Isklaristan sounds like an awesome name, and considering a few things I've talked about with someone else, I might end up making the faction be a breakaway of Iran, or a force supplied by Iran but not necessarily with the same allegiances to other nations; if so, I will end up with that name, but still a very Iran-like military force. I don't think I'll be able to finish it for this weekend, however.

The modernized SZ army currently has the vest as standard across all forces, and I'm not sure if I want to do an unarmoured variant for the crewmen and such; the vest seems thin and light enough that it would be no problem to carry around. As opposed to the vests I will be giving to the US and western CDF, it's less protective, but is actually more protective than the flak jacket of the older SZ and older CDF units. I also don't think I'll be making a blue version of it for UN troops; they will have to be identified by their helmets; perhaps I will throw in something else as an identifying mark, but not for this weekend's update. Furthermore, the modernized SZ army will not be getting polymer stocks, since it would be an entirely new and different manufacturing process which wouldn't be possible with South Zagoria's current factories alone; I am considering a camouflage wrap for the guns, however.

The new CDF vehicle camouflage will be a plain drab camouflage, except in a colour based on that of the CDF infantry camouflage; perhaps with a blob or two somewhere, I haven't done it yet and probably will have to leave it off till next week as well.

---

In other news, I've finished the new uniform for the modernized CDF forces, which allows for roughly three times as much survivability compared to no armour and about twice as much as the new South Zagorian vest, but also weighs about four times as much as the old uniform.

Squad Leaders use an alternative style of iron sights in order to make adding optics easier. The marksman uses a Mk12 SPR. Finally, the CDF's westernized answer to the PKM is the m240.

Hand animations and reloading animations are still placeholder for all of these, I'll need to work on those later today/tomorrow and I might not be able to finish them all, in which case I'll default to using BIS reloading animations as a placeholder.

For whom it may interest:

The vests are the same style as those the USMC wear in Arma 2 times, except in a lightened woodland camouflage. Apart from the new armoured vest and change to using gear which is stored on it, the new CDF uniform doesn't differ much from the old one.

Edited by Kaelies

Excellent looking CDF units there Kaelies! :D

Wouldn't it look better in the TTSKO used in their uniform?

Also another idea is that maybe in the future after the main units are done, you could make or expand the Chernarus map (like in Dayz) or even make other parts of South Zagoria.

Edited by Kaxii

I agree, the vest is nice but it is too much of a contrast from the TTSKO, which is a signature part of the CDF. The CDF can be westernized, but I'd caution you not to take them too modern.

As for nations sending in troops that aren't modern, that wouldn't happen. Sorry Kaelies, but you should probably release a separate mod if you want to make older units.

Here's what I'd say you should do: Make a modern US Army faction. You might say this has already been done, but it hasn't. Since 2010, the US Army has began to use Multicam as their camo pattern. Not one modder has made a modern US Army using Multicam, people have used M81 and the digital UCP pattern, but never Multicam. This would be a good way to make a modern US faction without it just being a repeat of what many other people have done.

Ah and one more thing, would you consider also making a second faction identical to NAPA that is just "Guerillas" and is Independent instead of Blufor?

Thanks Kaelies, and great work so far!

--------------------------------------------------

Take a look at this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/10th_Mountain_Multicam.jpg (581 kB)

Also

20131012-072122.jpg

And

pattern.jpg

Here's an inspiration for multicam US Soldiers. This is how I would suggest your US faction to look. Multicam is designed for use in both woodland and desert environments. This would work perfectly in Chernarus, and could also be used in Takistan for supporting CDF UN operations.

Edited by FistoGames

nice mod! but something looks wrong with the weaponsystems on the hind. it looks like the rocketpods have to be lowered a bit.

and is it possible for you to realease a dark grey PMC variant of the Hind?(or the color of the Mi-48?

nice mod! but something looks wrong with the weaponsystems on the hind. it looks like the rocketpods have to be lowered a bit.

It would be awesome if you could add the rocket pods from the CSAT helos and jet ( the shape is more or less the same, but the new have better looks and animations ).

There is one that looks like the S-5 rocket pod.

Hey, so, I'm going to have to push back updating a day or two, I've got a bit of stuff I still need to finish and I need to test it out with other people first.

-

In regards to making the vest TTSKO:

I personally feel the woodland fits very well within the colour scheme of the rest of the uniform, and I do want to differentiate that the modernized CDF are moving towards a much more western scheme than before; plus, I did have it in mind that the vests are donated by the US, which wouldn't be making them in TTSKO; woodland would seem more reasonable.

I did give it a quick try by making a mock-up, here's a quick comparison:

<Links no longer active>

I do like the woodland better, but if there's enough demand I'll make a second variant in the TTSKO.

-

In regards to the Hind weapons: I'll take a look at it later, and fix them if that's the case. I don't think I can implement the better A3 weapons though, from what I can tell those are a part of the helicopter model itself, so it won't be possible for me to put them on. Furthermore, the ones I have right now are done by proxy so that it's possible to change the loadout on the helicopters, which means that animating them isn't possible.

I could try to do a gray camouflage as well when I make the UN and new CDF camos for the helicopters.

-

In regards to modernness of units, sure, lets keep them to modern then. Didn't realize the US army had finally swapped to Multicam, I'm a lot happier about doing something with that then. I do think I will still implement forces which mimic the older armies, but just find a different faction to make them for.

-

Most of what I've been working on today is reworking the recoils on guns; I've heard before that people felt it isn't high enough, so I've tried to implement a new set of values for recoils, but I'll be keeping it simple by only having different values for 5.45x39 based on the AK-74, for 5.56x45 based on the M16, 7.62x39 based on the AKM, and 7.62x54r/7.62x51 based on the M14.

Things I still have to do before releasing an update:

-Testing to make sure recoil, damage, etc is reasonable

-Icons for all the new stuff (Done now)

-Hand animations for all the new stuff

-Switch to using arma 3 reload animations or make new reload animations for the new guns

-Properly implement loadouts on the new units

-Provide proper zeroing on the GP-25

Finally, in regards to that last point, there won't be an M230, M320, EGLM, or any other sort of grenade launcher aside from the GP25 within this next update that will be coming out shortly, but I will try to put them in soon.

Edited by Kaelies

@kaelies, I must agree I think the contrast looks good, maybe you could make this vest:

---------- Post added at 07:54 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/filupe/media/Militaria%20-%20Europe/Militaria%20-%20USSR/UkrainianBVD01_zps0a9725ac.jpg.html

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

Also on the subject on US, they don't use MTP, they use multicam, quite different. Also Multicam hasn't been confirmed as the US Army's next camo, in fact the camo competition has seemed to be put on hold. So I would say that if the US Army was I Chernaus, it would be in UCP until try get that silly competition done!

---------- Post added at 07:58 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

Also can't you use toadies2ks animations for your guns? I think he releases them for use, although I'm not sure

@kaelies, I must agree I think the contrast looks good, maybe you could make this vest:

---------- Post added at 07:54 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/filupe/media/Militaria%20-%20Europe/Militaria%20-%20USSR/UkrainianBVD01_zps0a9725ac.jpg.html

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

Also on the subject on US, they don't use MTP, they use multicam, quite different. Also Multicam hasn't been confirmed as the US Army's next camo, in fact the camo competition has seemed to be put on hold. So I would say that if the US Army was I Chernaus, it would be in UCP until try get that silly competition done!

---------- Post added at 07:58 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

Also can't you use toadies2ks animations for your guns? I think he releases them for use, although I'm not sure

Ah, you're right. MTP is different, the only reason I referred to it as such is because of the classnames in Arma. Knowing a few US Soldiers, I do know that we are in the process of switching to Multicam. Yes, we have already employed it to many of our troops in Afghanistan and the National Guard already. UCP is out, Multicam is in. I'm sure of it. I know we had a bit of a dilemma deciding whether to use it, and we haven't officially signed a long-term contract to my knowing, but we're pretty much decided on using it now. Thousands of soldiers use it. We're just still in transition. You can bet that by 2015 we'll be entirely Multicam. Plus UCP has already been done by modders, Multicam hasn't. If it makes you feel better, the ArmaVerse has us using Multicam for the Army in Lemnos as well, so it's perfectly logical to have your units use it. I would suggest going for a warmer tint to the color than the current Arma 3 US textures, though.

---------- Post added at 08:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 ----------

I really like your reload anims, Kaelies. I think they make the weapons unique. Would be sad to see them changed to be like all the other mods.

Edited by FistoGames

Hm, I forgot how long hand-animations take to do. Finished them now, though.

---

Still got to do the PKM, but that'll be a bit later. Also, the Ishapore 2A rifle (lee-enfield in 7.62x51), will not have a proper hand animation since it seems impossible to do without making something very, very weird. Finally, I bet the guy holding the M240 is very, very happy that the charging handle doesn't move back when it gets fired...

SCAR-types and SVDs will be using the current AK reloading animation for good; FAL, Ishapore 2A, and PKM will be using it until I can make a better one; M16-types will be using a BIS animation unless I can come up with a better one, but atm it looks pretty good; m249/m240 will be using the BIS reload animation until I can make a better one; hopefully I haven't missed any, but I won't be making any new animations for this next update.

---

I don't think I'll be making any completely new vests for a while, maybe sometime down the road I could make a vest like that, Kaxii.

Unfortunately, I also don't think I will be using toadies' animations, since I'm either happy with the BIS animation (m16) or want to make my own (everything else). This is especially true regarding the AK, SVD, and similar weapons; I might improve or make more variants of the reload (i.e, to have a different one when the player is shifted to the left with their gun in the left shoulder), but I won't be using a different one.

Finally, in regards to the US units, I'm not working on them yet but I'll have something in Multicam; I'm very much not a fan of UCP. Might do camo variants in the older camouflages as well, not sure, and I'll probably have a USMC section as well.

Removed screenshots

Edited by Kaelies

Looks good as always, Kaelies...

A question or two; In time will the S.Z. Army becoming a AAF/CSAT level army, i mean because right now they lack some armored vehicles especially, will there also be some S.Z. Special Forces...?

The CDF And Takistani will you continue to update and develop them, or you will use all of your ressources on the S.Z.

But keep it up, i really like the looks of them, and hoping to see them evolving into a Armed Force to be respected in the ArmaVerse...

Looks good as always, Kaelies...

A question or two; In time will the S.Z. Army becoming a AAF/CSAT level army, i mean because right now they lack some armored vehicles especially, will there also be some S.Z. Special Forces...?

The CDF And Takistani will you continue to update and develop them, or you will use all of your ressources on the S.Z.

But keep it up, i really like the looks of them, and hoping to see them evolving into a Armed Force to be respected in the ArmaVerse...

To me, the South Zagorians need to be a lower-grade force. I know Kaelies intends to give them armored assets, but not to the high level of technology that CSAT and the AAF have. Think more along the lines of what a small, independent country can afford.

Literally the only thing I'd like to see changed is the gun sounds for the AKs that the mod uses. They kind of just make a "pop" sound when you shoot. I'd honestly think the Arma 2 AKM sounds would work a bit better. Totally your call though!