Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Campaigns length (so far) and expectations for WIN

Hi guys.

What do you think about campaign length?

I hope WIN will be longer than SURVIVE and ADAPT together.

IMHO, both were much too short (not enough missions and the missions were not very long).

I hope it will contain 15 or 20 real missions (meaning HUB or side missions like "recon" not counting as a mission).

I also hope we won't be always squad leader during WIN and play different roles (pilot, SF, crewman, chopper gunner...)

Do you also think episod 1 and 2 are too short?

What are your expectations for WIN?

I hope there are missions other than small unit infantry actions, like actual armored warfare, mech infantry, heliborne...etc

Well, those are campaign episodes, not full campaigns. If you put them all together the Arma 3 campaign easily surpasses the ones from A2 and OA.

Hum,not really sure, cause the missions are quite short IMO.

In general I would preffer single, looong, whole-map, semi-dynamic mission with plot incorporated, than chain of short missions, but I can't name it an expectation, as I do not believe, it will happen. What I expect is similar in number but greater in scale and complexicity missions when you get one way or another chance to try most of the game features. Bigger battles most probable - they actually must somehow to WIN. You will be TL most the time, also maybe higher level leader sometimes, and you will do key plot things personally, as, I think, BIS knows AI unreliability at least as good, as we.

What I think about length is same, what I think about typical for game industry product limitations. There is quality, quantity and time, means money, as limiter, a dev's curse, that makes unavailable to achieve perfection or very high quality in high quantity. It is enough to compare length of typical campaign/game decade ago and now. As campaign is high quality, unless would be invented some time-cheap procedural tricks, we cannot IMO count on something much longer, than we get already.

Edited by Rydygier

In general I would preffer single, looong, whole-map, semi-dynamic mission with plot incorporated, than chain of short missions, but I can't name it an expectation, as I do not believe, it will happen. What I expect is similar in number but greater in scale and complexicity missions when you get one way or another chance to try most of the game features. Bigger battles most probable - they actually must somehow to WIN. You will be TL most the time, also maybe higher level leader sometimes, and you will do key plot things personally, as, I think, BIS knows AI unreliability at least as good, as we.

What I think about length is same, what I think about typical for game industry product limitations. There is quality, quantity and time, means money, as limiter, a dev's curse, that makes unavailable to achieve perfection or very high quality in high quantity. It is enough to compare length of typical campaign/game decade ago and now. As campaign is high quality, unless would be invented some time-cheap procedural tricks, we cannot IMO count on something much longer, than we get already.

Yes, and BIS games already have some longest length among industry except RPGs.

I remember spending nearly 50 hours playing Arma2 campaign, compared to maybe 10-12 hours on COD and Battlefiled even on hardest difficulty.

I expect it to be slightly shorter than Adapt and that they'll recycle the Tanks showcase.

Yeah, maybe.

They recycled Infantry in SURVIVE and Night in ADAPT, so it makes sense.

Dunno about you guys, but since ArmA 2, there is no mission in the campaign that I'm willing to do again.

That's bad, cause there is no epic in this camp so far, nothing making me say "I like this mission, I CAN and I Will do it again"

Personally at midpoint of Adapt, it feels like I've played quite a bit of missions so far and considering Im also only at the halfway point of the entire thing... I also think that the way they released the entirety of Arm3 -in piecemeal since Alpha, that a little more here and there feels small when in fact theres quite a bit. For instance, I NEVER play on Altis in the Editor so these missions feel extremely fresh if only because the locale is entirely new and I still haven't been in barely any of the vehicles. Had I stayed away from Alpha and Beta -I'd be overjoyed with newness. It's like if someone gave you a $1 everyday you saw them at work as compared to seeing the same guy once a year and him dumping $365 in your lap ;)

Anyways as far as tightly scripted to extreme open ended - I kinda like the option for both. Meaning, you could choose to train for more of a commanding role or opt out to merely be a part of the offensive led by AI. Perhaps even keep the game brimming on the cusp of all out war and the player could either help to tip it one way or the other -with advantage being directly related to really tough player objectives.

Dunno about you guys, but since ArmA 2, there is no mission in the campaign that I'm willing to do again.

That's bad, cause there is no epic in this camp so far, nothing making me say "I like this mission, I CAN and I Will do it again"

Each to their own, but I love small unit action, as long as I was not facing some ridiculous odd.

Arma2 campaign was one of my favorite single player campaigns, the choice you made directly affect the direction of story and ending.

I was wondering about the length of the campaign, since I'm always getting told to attend the briefings for the "important" missions, so I never got to do any of the scouting missions.

Seems like a poor design choice to me since there's not one single hint telling you that you have to walk away from the hideout to start the patrol (scouting) mission.

Just not logical by any means when your commanding officer tells you to go to a briefing and you'll go for a stroll instead.

This takes me to the point of asking if it's actually of any advantage to do all those patrol missions?

This takes me to the point of asking if it's actually of any advantage to do all those patrol missions?

Guns, bullets, scopes and such attachements. That's it. Seems enough to make it worthy of effort, still pity, as could be much more.

Hum,not really sure, cause the missions are quite short IMO.

Short!? Survive is 2-3 hours and Adapt is 5-6 hours (if you play all of the side missions)!

Hum, the longest mission so far (short of recon ones) was bingo fuel, and it took me 30 minutes.

Others didn't last long, 15 minutes max.

Hum, the longest mission so far (short of recon ones) was bingo fuel, and it took me 30 minutes.

Others didn't last long, 15 minutes max.

It all depends if you do scout missions. They're not long by themselfs, but the travelling, dying, positioning takes a lot of time!