TSAndrey

Bingo Fuel is impossible?

More like BI expecting people do do at least some side-missions in this episode. Or at least loot one from dead CSAT guys in second mission.

Prior to Bingo Fuel, I did all possible side missions, and did not find any NVG, or didn't think to pick one up. And I finally did loot one from CSAT where the empty cistern was being held. But regardless, stealing empty cistern without NVG at night means that many in your squad will die, as they don't have NVG, either, meaning that they can't hit the broad side of a barn when ordered to attack. It also means that you die often, as well. Having only 3-5 squadmates left after stealing the empty cistern made it very difficult to clear the construction site later, even with NVG, especially as their number will be further reduced by unseen CSAT chopper and/or tank that can waste your squad from range if you take wrong route to construction site.

I wonder if campaign fixes since June have supplied squadmates with NVG for Bingo Fuel? If not, there should be a whole new mission or side mission before Bingo Fuel with the sole purpose of raiding a CSAT base/checkpoint just to steal NVG. :rolleyes: It is such a time-consuming pain to order squadmates to search bodies for NVG and other items. Not to mention the fact that you are under fire from CSAT coming from multiple directions, including IFV at first base. There should be a command like "Search bodies for vital items (NVG), ammo, and health kits" (just kidding). Obviously BI realized that the lack of NVG is a serious problem in Adapt, given that they just added NVG to weapon pool for the episode in dev branch.

I completed, reverted, and replayed Bingo Fuel at least 3 times on Veteran given its difficulty and my desire to try new strategies and attempt to waste CSAT convoy AND keep cistern (which I did). But it is clear that this mission is far more demanding than most, which must be a real challenge to new players.

I am just about to start campaign again from scratch under different profile, mainly to play new side missions in Survive, and to try NATO ending in Win. But I see all these campaign fixes in dev branch, and am hesitant to start again 'till these fixes are brought to stable. It's great that BI is continuing to fix East Wind, but it is frustrating that such fixes are coming in so late in the game. BI, any chance of pushing those campaign fixes to stable sooner?

Edited by OMAC

I'm suprised you didn't at least loot one in Common Enemy as it's nighttime mission.

But I'm a hoarder by nature, if not for limited space in trucks I would take to FIA base anything that isn't bolted down :D. My biggest disappointment was how you can't bring back more than one vehicle full of gear, as ones driven by subodinates don't count.

I'm surprised I didn't pick one up earlier as well, as I am also a hoarder. That was a fuckup for sure. I barely remember Common Enemy, but I didn't need NVG, I guess, and certainly didn't find any to loot.

As you may know, BI made tons of changes regarding persistent equipment and vehicles, especially with scouting missions.

http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-campaign-updates

This is one of the reasons I want to play campaign again from scratch.

Edited by OMAC

I played the campaign again after the persistent gear update and spent much time looting :D For the Bingo Fuel mission I equipped all my men with nvgs so this was no problem.

I agree the mission's hard as hell, although I don't think that's a bad thing about the campaign. I'm actually pretty grateful for the AI stepping up, and making the game different from other generic ''tactical'' shooters. In fact, a lot of things in the campaign remind me of Bohemia's old titles, such as OFP Cold War Crisis and Resistance, which were masterpieces. Keep up the good job devs :)

I won't say it's not difficult, but IMO it's one of the most elaborate and immersive missions of the whole SP campaign.

^ ^ Without question. Its complexity reminds me of some of the long missions in Harvest Red, especially if you try and nail the convoy and HVT while keeping the cistern.

Not reading this thread as I'm still trying to beat this mission (3rd day now) but had to say it absolutely kicks ass. So many logistics to consider it is the 1st mission in a long time when both waiting and looooong stretches of my entire team crawling don't seem like a waste of time but actually heighten the tension. Landscape positions are perfect as it's really hard to get a glimpse of roving armor without getting your head shot off. reminds of the fear I use to have of BMP's seeking out my team, hiding in the brush as I hear their rumbling engines stop and start.

Please BI, add some civilians to future missions - with TPW's addon, would often mistake armor and have my AT expose himself when it was only a box truck -heightens immersion

I finally spotted the unseen threat (marked with red exclamation point on map) that took me out on numerous occasions, both after leaving base where we found the empty cistern, and at the very end of the mission when I am trying to RTB with the full cistern

c77fed390808978.jpg

f8452b390808975.jpg

after taking out HVT, when we used up all our remaining AT rockets:

3b2133390808970.jpg

Note the NVS scope, which I found earlier along with NVG and jealously hoarded as the most valuable things in my inventory. The scope didn't do that much good in this mission, which still kicked my ass, and those of my squad mates, numerous times before eventually winning. Even in 1.38 stable, most of your squad mates do not have NVG, so their shooting effectiveness in the dead of night is severely degraded.

Edited by OMAC

I played the mission in Dec 2014 I think and I haven't got any NVGs. What do I do if I'd like to beat it but I don't have an NVG? What I mean is - is there a cheat to get the damn NVGs for my team?

In any other case I'll skip the mission. I agree with those mentioning unrealistic expectations of the mission. Kicks me back in time to ArmA 1 where often the whole world got empty later into the mission with 3 infantry hunting for you alone and a zombie T-72 of unknown role (still shooting though).

I managed the mission by camping and exploiting the AI's weakness inside town. I literally lured them in there piecemeal, then blew up one of the AAF wheeled APCs without wrecking it. Killed the crew after they bailed, and then drove the vehicle onto the hill behind the town and started to spend ammo on everything I saw. The rest was relatively easy.

I just cheated through this mission...

I took a quad bike from the starting town, drove it straight to the empty fuel truck, got in, drove it straight to the full fuel truck, got in, turned the truck in, done.

Still trying to beat this muthaf#$*ing mission a whole month later...

Still love it but gawd dayum there's alotta armor. I see ways I could exploit win, but that ruins the fun. Need a tactically satisfying ending.

My personal method is:

Go link up with the first group of extra guys.

Go west of the town, to a very distinctive sharp U-turn in the road, with a valley in the middle of the U, it seems the safest place to cross.

Link up with the others

Creep through the woods staying as far away from the road running N/S to the west of the facility as possible. Cross that road in a place that offers a few trees for concealment.

Get up the slope as quickly as possible, it's the riskiest part.

Deal with the little storage facility, then get to the fuel truck quickly.

If you're not that far through then the next bit is a spoiler.

Depending on how many guys I have either nick a vehicle and drive through the base at full tilt (about 50/50 chance of it working) or fight my way through properly.

Approach the next facility from the south western side, make sure you give the backup squad plenty of time, they can be quite effective but they're not quick.

Grab the vehicle, if I have too many people then I usually tell them to run west (and theoretically rejoin later).

Drive like f*ck to either of the two endings (or take the third option).

I wouldn't feel guilty about "cheating" the save system, and occasionally flicking it to Rookie to allow unlimited saves, then changing it back to whatever you were on before, I usually do it.

Still trying to beat this muthaf#$*ing mission a whole month later...

Still love it but gawd dayum there's alotta armor. I see ways I could exploit win, but that ruins the fun. Need a tactically satisfying ending.

Just beat it :/

Jesus Christ, 25 reverts and 1:17 play time.....this has completely wiped clean and replaced my memory of After Montignac

This mission has to be the hardest arma mission ever. Seriously, WTF? First we approach the complex, ok that's good, so far so good. I get in the truck, it's empty, then a whole army starts attacking the base. Ok, it's a bit hard, but I managed to pull through without my team. I even managed to steal the 2nd truck, by sniping everyone there alone.

But guess what? The moment I take the truck out of the base, some random APC starts shooting hellfire at me and destroys it! Now what? I'm supposed to find yet ANOTHER truck, drive over to the convoy route, plant charges and detonate them? Is this mission created for humans? Why are there APC's every 50 meters?!

You need to get rid of that army first.

Move to the lookout point NW of the village, there is a small squad positioned. Leave your team on the other side of the road.

Crawl up the hill, kill the two soldiers next to the repair truck.

Use your explosive to destroy the tracks of the tank.

Kill the three enemies disembarking.

Get the truck, repair the tank and move it back down into hiding.

Get back on the hill, observe the road and call for your team when the road is clear.

Get into the tank, shoot down the helicopter.

Get your AT soldiers to kill the APCs in the village - they're stationary and easy to hit. Get three people into the tank and have them kill any other vehicles.

Move to the complex and take it. Have the tank wait behind you while you kill AT soldiers.

From there it's a piece of cake.

This is yet another piece wher BI completely lost it, to put it mildly...

I've just played the campaign: Adapt - Exit... (depot). What a difference! The fuel truck mission must have been some intern's work.

Edited by Bucic

You can steal the MBT Kuma and finish the mission with it:

Neutralize the Kuma at the beginning of the mission, steal a repair truck and BRING SOME HELL!!!

This is yet another piece wher BI completely lost it, to put it mildly...

I've just played the campaign: Adapt - Exit... (depot). What a difference! The fuel truck mission must have been some intern's work.

Most hardcore Arma players I know of think the opposite, that Bingo Fuel is perhaps the best, most immersive mission in the entire campaign. Long, difficult, and complex, there are many ways to solve it, and various optional tasks with full voice acting. Various outcomes of mission effect subsequent events in campaign (to some extent, anyway). Great stuff. Even some Arma hipster veterans have trouble with the mission. Missions like this are of high value to me, and I'd lay down big $$$ to BI if they made more of 'em.

However, you bring up a good point, in that Bingo Fuel stands far, far out from other campaign missions in its difficulty, length, and complexity, as others, including myself, have written here before. It seems like it was dropped into the campaign amongst many much easier and simpler missions. New players will be shocked, dazed, and confused by the mission. It would have been better if gameplay was more even throughout, or the most difficult missions appear at the end of episodes, as it was in Doom/Quake* and most other video games. ;) Another idea would have been to split Bingo Fuel into 2 missions.

Edited by OMAC

Most hardcore Arma players I know of think the opposite, that Bingo Fuel is perhaps the best, most immersive mission in the entire campaign. Long, difficult, and complex, there are many ways to solve it, and various optional tasks with full voice acting. Various outcomes of mission effect subsequent events in campaign (to some extent, anyway). Great stuff. Even some Arma hipster veterans have trouble with the mission. Missions like this are of high value to me, and I'd lay down big $$$ to BI if they made more of 'em.

However, you bring up a good point, in that Bingo Fuel stands far, far out from other campaign missions in its difficulty, length, and complexity, as others, including myself, have written here before. It seems like it was dropped into the campaign amongst many much easier and simpler missions. New players will be shocked, dazed, and confused by the mission. It would have been better if gameplay was more even throughout, or the most difficult missions appear at the end of episodes, as it was in Doom/Quake* and most other video games. ;) Another idea would have been to split Bingo Fuel into 2 missions.

The proposed solutions to the mission (e.g. steal an MBT etc.) scream "ARCADE!" and that's what I'm against. Not against high difficulty per se. Another point is that any long mission in ArmA is inherently flawed as AI in ArmA is not suitable for long missions.

Personally, I never tried the "Steal the MBT" methods, and always stuck to the guerrilla attack plan which was envisioned by BI. But it's always cool to have more than one way to tackle a mission, which can enhance replay value.

There is an important fix for AI AT soldiers in 1.48 that can effect Bingo Fuel (and all other missions with AI AT guys). :)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19670

Download the RC and test it yourself! :)

Heh, I never felt that bingo Fuel is impossible hard. Played it once in the night (got NVG fairly easy / after you attack the first enemy position), and I played it once at day- the day version was a bit harder, but still not impossible. Never needed to steal the MBT and I always only got attacked by one from the enemies, which I took out with one or two AT rockets.

Surely it must be simple to create such script?!?

try this:

fnc_bingofuel = {
	if ((fuel mycar) < 0) then
	{
		playSound "bingofuel"; //this is your custom sound
		sleep 5; //the time your sound finishes
		call fnc_bingofuel;
	};
};

EDIT: Lol, I thought this was a scripting thread.  :lol:

Took me a few attempts yesterday but I was able to get through it will a full squad left at the end, so I'll lay out how I managed it.

As soon as the missions starts, select your squad and choose 'Hold fire' from the menu. 
Then, head over to the closest stragglers you link up with, and again, select them via F5+F6 and 'Hold fire'.
It's at this point that you'll want to select all of your squad, hit F7 and choose the 'Go prone'. Select your entire squad again and choose 'Stop'.
Wait a while for the tank to pass and then 'Regroup', and also F7>Automatic stance.
Head down through the woods until you come to the road where it bends (like a horseshoe), cross it and again head into the wooded area, making your way to the last set of the squad you need to collect. Once you link up, get them to 'Hold fire'. Maybe wait here (whilst all of the squad is set to 'Prone' and 'Stop' until the helicopter has passed. 'Auto stance' and 'Regroup', then head (East) through the wooded area again towards the road. About 150m from the road, Stop and Go Prone, until the APC has passed. You should also set your squad to 'Stealth' via F7, so that they're silent/not shouting out targets etc., and then cross the road and head up the hill towards the small barn that's about 200 meters from the larger barn (where there are two soldiers, one an AT guy, patrolling back and forth. You may need to go prone/stop while heading up the hill for the APC/helicopter to pass again.
Once I was at the barn, I sent soldiers F5-F8 a little to the right into the trees. 
Anyway, kill the two soldiers here, and the one or two that's further back. Then, regroup/combat stance/hold fire again, and run over with your squad to where the two soldiers were. Get your squad to hide/take cover, grab the PCML and ammo from the AT soldier, and wait for the MPV to appear. 
Take that out with the PCML, then, with the squad stilll stopped/holding position, sneak up to the fuel truck/cistern.
Get in and out to progress the mission, then head back to your squad, and sneak east towards your next objective (ignore the RTB marker on the map, you want to head east way south of that).
After travelling east, you'll come to a hill (which is where I left my squad for the remainder of the mission).
Keep going east until you're hiding in the trees just south of the new main objective. I went a bit further east and north, and struck their base from the west after calling in support from Kappa.
You could possibly do the same, though with the squad assaulting the base from the south.
Hope this helps.

It was ridiculous to me. Hardest mission, by far. It I replayed now that I'm a bit more experienced, it might be a different story. I wound up running over about 15 guys with their Ifrit. And the stupid AI. Youd basically have to leave them behind or youd get spotted immediately. And also, way too long.