Sign in to follow this  
Holden93

Will we ever see a stable multiplayer running at 50-60 fps?

Can someone explain to me why and how servers affect client fps in this game? When I play campaign mode my fps is much higher then any multiplayer server I join.

Can someone explain to me why and how servers affect client fps in this game? When I play campaign mode my fps is much higher then any multiplayer server I join.

Not the only reason perhaps but synchronisation plays a big factor no doubt.

You've got 64 people from all around the world transmitting and receiving data about bullet trajectories, unit positions and so on. Without synchronisation someone could be an unknown distance from where you see them and ultimately your bullets will miss.

Why does this reduce your rendering framerate? Well, that's down to how the engine handles what gets drawn based on the information at hand. If it doesn't have all the information required, it may be waiting for it before rendering. Reduce the need for sync and you get horrible warping/teleporting effects amongst other things.

This is a very simplistic view of it and one based on no first hand knowledge of the code within the engine, so take it with a pinch of salt if you wish.

Not the only reason perhaps but synchronisation plays a big factor no doubt.

You've got 64 people from all around the world transmitting and receiving data about bullet trajectories, unit positions and so on. Without synchronisation someone could be an unknown distance from where you see them and ultimately your bullets will miss.

Why does this reduce your rendering framerate? Well, that's down to how the engine handles what gets drawn based on the information at hand. If it doesn't have all the information required, it may be waiting for it before rendering. Reduce the need for sync and you get horrible warping/teleporting effects amongst other things.

This is a very simplistic view of it and one based on no first hand knowledge of the code within the engine, so take it with a pinch of salt if you wish.

Are you saying its a netcode problem? Sorry programming and netcodes are not my expertise.

I don't understand games like Battlefield even back in BF2 days which was single threaded CPUwise servers in no way affected a clients frame rate even with 64 players.... Same goes for BF3 and BF4

Are you saying its a netcode problem? Sorry programming and netcodes are not my expertise.

I don't understand games like Battlefield even back in BF2 days which was single threaded CPUwise servers in no way affected a clients frame rate even with 64 players.... Same goes for BF3 and BF4

Whether you see it as a netcode problem or not depends on your view of how things are being handled.

If you prioritise framerate over accurate representation of the situation across clients, this results in moments where you can be killed by someone who no longer has a line of sight on you from your perspective, while on their screen you haven't got round that wall yet. Similarly, someone can kill you before you even make it round a corner on your screen because the server has predicted your movement and placed you in direct view on another players client. This of course does not factor in bullet penetration.

Conversely, if you want hard synchronisation across clients so everyone has a truely accurate impression of the situation around them, the only way to do this is to limit their client in some way based on information being sent and received by the server.

How synchronisation is handled is a design choice based on priorities and sacrifices...until we all have supercomputers and an internet infrastructure that transmits large amounts of data instantaneously.

Whether you see it as a netcode problem or not depends on your view of how things are being handled.

If you prioritise framerate over accurate representation of the situation across clients, this results in moments where you can be killed by someone who no longer has a line of sight on you from your perspective, while on their screen you haven't got round that wall yet. Similarly, someone can kill you before you even make it round a corner on your screen because the server has predicted your movement and placed you in direct view on another players client. This of course does not factor in bullet penetration.

Conversely, if you want hard synchronisation across clients so everyone has a truely accurate impression of the situation around them, the only way to do this is to limit their client in some way based on information being sent and received by the server.

How synchronisation is handled is a design choice based on priorities and sacrifices...until we all have supercomputers and an internet infrastructure that transmits large amounts of data instantaneously.

So servers use server side hit detection instead of client side hit detection?

the server use only one core ;)

There is something in the netcode that limits CPU usage. In SP CPU usage can go pretty high but in MP it remains betwee (for me) 20-30% mostly. The same thing is in DayZ even they've done different arcitechture. The CPU usage is even the same between the games for me. Because AI calculations, scripts and all other things go with the terrain calculations under the low CPU usage, the fps gets big hit in MP.

There is something in the netcode that limits CPU usage. In SP CPU usage can go pretty high but in MP it remains betwee (for me) 20-30% mostly. The same thing is in DayZ even they've done different arcitechture. The CPU usage is even the same between the games for me. Because AI calculations, scripts and all other things go with the terrain calculations under the low CPU usage, the fps gets big hit in MP.

Are there any online servers that do not suffer from this?

So servers use server side hit detection instead of client side hit detection?

I believe it does based on years of playing this series and a vague recollection of reading it somewhere in these forums some years ago.