GShock

AI not shooting vehicles

I am at the Adapt episode, trying to take that cistern past the highway.

The village is full of enemy troops and there are a truck, a tank and at least 2 APCs. Just met with the 1st of the 2 support groups and the game has autosaved.

Kouris (#6) is the only one of us who has an anti vehicle weapon but I have problems here.

1) Despite clearly seeing the APC I can't seem to "spot" it. Hence I can't give the targeting order unless I get so close the APC sees me (or my AI).

2) Even when I make it (generally someone else will point it out), the targeting order to kouris doesn't work. He won't shoot or he will be pulverized by the APC itself. Same goes with the engage order.

Can anyone recommend how to make the AI shoot a vehicle? I don't have all day waiting for it to shoot and I've already shot dead my AI to take its RPG but the mission fails... what is the procedure to make an AI shoot his rpg?

1. In the mission briefing you can arrange weapons for your team, I always bring a few more extra launchers and rockets to against enemy strong point and vehicles

2. You can order AI to drop their current equipment by open map -> team -> click AI name -> inventory

3. You have to spot the target before issue order to engage, you can press T against the target when having a clear line of sight. (I know it's sometimes tricky as enemy might be half concealed)

After I spot the vehicle (good with this T key, I thought I had to zoom and unzoom on the tgt so this is better) how do I tell that IDIOT to attack the APC?

Just for your info, guys. The engage commands are bugged. See ticket in my signature. It is like that since beta but it does not happen every time in every situation.

How to make AI attack the target? Select all or relevant AI, scroll with mousewheel, mouseover the target and press Spacebar.

Or the long route, select AI, press 2 (for target) then find the target in the list and press corresponding number.

About that bug described in the feedback tracker. I don't know if this is related.

In MP, when I bring 4 AI with me (some coop servers allow us to recruit AI), at least one of them will start to run in the opposite direction after either a parachute jump or teleport. Nothing will help. Return to formation does nothing, telling them to attack target, tried different combat modes as well (7-1, 7-2, 7-3). They just keep running.

The first thing I usually do when commanding AI is to press 3-5, engage at will. Next is combat mode (combat or stealth)

Edited by mamasan8

Well that's got to be what Bouben said... I followed the target + engage at will and it's no good, it just won't shoot the APC.

I think the prob might also be linked to the "action" command when you tell the AI that has no ammo to refill at some dead enemy. They just go to the other side of the planet when they've got a corpse by their feet. In this case it's because the subcommand entries all look the same (they say the weapon type not where it is that they must get it).

The AI here seems to engage soldiers correctly. It's only the APC (at least in this mission). For the rest they engage normally, it seems, the infantry. Naturally with that APC still in order we all get killed. There's no way to bypass the problem because if you shoot dead your AI with the RPG, the mission fails.

Hope the DEVs are reading this, without a fix, it's impossible to complete that mission.

Ive noticed this problem since alpha. Its very inconsistent and BIS please fix this major problem:confused:

Can't proceed this campaign if my AI won't engage vehicles.

There's 2 APC and 1 MBT on that highway... and at least 30 soldiers in the whole area. If the AI friends are a burden, I'd rather do the mission alone and do it the sneaky and silent way which is impossible with this AI friends.

That guy with the RPG then... sometimes he shoots all his ammo on the same vehicle... once you've disabled it, keep it in the backpack... we need it... and that's happened after 50 tries. Please BIS fix this with the AI engaging routines or it's impossible to carry on with the campaign.

Don't use Engage commands. Even when they worked back in A2, they didn't cause good results.

You need to put the AI in a position where they would engage of their own accord. It's better to assign targets, then order 'Fire,' or 'Open Fire,' or 'Engage at Will.'

So 3 years later I have exactly the same arma3  problem. Its virtually impossible for me to spot the same tank. Even if I spot the tank my ai refuses to shoot it.

Pressing t does not identify the target in any way.

All through the east wind missions I hit the same "Vehicle spots me and kills me instantly but I cannot set it as a target for my AI" Bug. Kinda ruins the game if you can only proceed through luck.

Yeah its frustrating but are you sure the enemy tank has engine on and that your AI is the proper distance if using modern weapon like Titan? Engage at Will definitely needs work for the Ai to find a good firing spot so you do have to place them yourself for best results.

• Like 1

Two more years later...

I have been messing with it in the VR map. At first, the AT guy wouldn't fire at a tank. The motor was off.  I noticed he had a PCML. I switched him to the Titan Compact, and he immediately put two missiles into the tank. I think the tank has to be moving or at least have the engine on, and the AT guy has to have the right weapon or he won't engage. Maybe this is commonly known. Idk, I'm new to this sim. Why can't the AT guy fire at a tank with the engine off?

3 hours ago, Andrew Grey said:

I have been messing with it in the VR map. At first, the AT guy wouldn't fire at a tank. The motor was off.  I noticed he had a PCML. I switched him to the Titan Compact, and he immediately put two missiles into the tank. I think the tank has to be moving or at least have the engine on, and the AT guy has to have the right weapon or he won't engage. Maybe this is commonly known. Idk, I'm new to this sim. Why can't the AT guy fire at a tank with the engine off?

This is actually a case of the game becoming more sophisticated. AT guys won't fire heat guided weapons at cold vehicles. It's not perfect, but it gives some choices between tactical movement (hot) or hiding (cold) for vehicles. I don't think the AT guy will fire a titan manually at a cold vehicle, so some 'intelligence' is unfortunately missing for these units. 

In mission design you can take this into account by using patrolling vehicles or heating the vehicle with a script command to pretend they have stopped, but were recently driving/shooting to adjust the mission difficulty.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Andrew Grey said:

That's cool. Good to know. Thanks.

Just to elaborate further:

setVehicleTIPars will allow you to manipulate thermal properties (engine/hull, wheels, weapon), so you can have already heated up vehicles upon mission start.

No idea why BI went with that name, setVehicleThermalInertiaParameters would be more obvious, makes the command hard to find and it's not like they did it to keep command names short, looking at commands like leaderboardsRequestUploadScoreKeepBest...

Cheers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have to remember that for Scrabble special Arma's commands.

• Like 1

Hmm, does the level of "heat" from the vehicle affect lockon range? As far as I can tell running the engine for 5s will allow you to lock on from practically the same range as a glowing hot vehicle?