Sign in to follow this  
.40S&W

Addonmakers don't be lazy!

Here's the picture that is a compilation of "Resistance-only- addons" screenshots.

GROZA1.jpg

The shots were taken by me.

'So what?' you may say.

Well, nothig exept that I run OFP ver. 1.46 wink.gif

Conclusion:

Apart from MotorBikes, Handguns and Hi-res Textures, it's just the matter of few lines in cpp file!

Don't forget about this!

I'll first just quote Adammos excellent post from another thread:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Apparently you dont under stand what the cfgmodels subroutine does. It allows textures to change, example muzzle flash is just a texture change. Also the props on an aircraft when spinning up and changing to BLUR is also a texture change.. the cfgmodels is needed for this texture change to work properly. People just refer to the issue as a muzzle flash.. but it really has nothing to do with muzzle flash that just how it was identified first .. and yes the c130 has texture change from spinning props to blur props.. so it would effect it and it does need it. btw if you make the change to 1.46 I won't support it and fix it.. so you guys are on your own. its worth the money to buy resistance. I know some people didnt upgrade because they had pirate copies .. that that is their problem. But for you legit users I suggest upgrading.. the netcode is WAY worth it..

Capt Moore <span id='postcolor'>

The current version of OFP is 1.75. There is no reason for modmakers to support older versions. If you want to use the current addons, missions and scripts, buy Resistance. Simple as that.

Addon makers are working for free, out of the kindness of their hearts, the fact that you even get to play with quaility addons makes you (and the rest of us) a lucky person.

But to be blunt, no designer wants to play with dated versions of the they're using software. That's pretty much what it all comes down to.

So your point is that if i don't have the money to buy resistance i don't deserve to use the new addons? In the other thread i only asked adammo to make a 1.46 version because lots of people want to use that c-130 and it takes less than a minute to make the changes. I don't care a lot if he doesn't want to make it because i can make the changes myself (as i've done with other addons such as kegetys's east weapons pack, the bwmod demo and adammo's little birds), but there are lots of guys out there who don't know how to make that changes. For example when someone released an ultralight trike some guys started emailing me to ask how to make that changes. I told'em how to make the changes, heck i even sent them the modified cpp but they couldn't make it work!

Look at the dkm-mod addons for example, or the new huey by select this, they have versions both for Resistance and 1.46

I'm not neglecting the advanteges of Resistance Expansion, and hell yes, i'm gonna buy it as soon as it shows up at my place. But that's not the point.

Resistance isn't freeware like prevoius patches. So i wouldn't say it's the current version.

Many poeple around the world with original copies of the game don't plan to buy this expansion becuse of their own reasons and will stay with regular OFP 1.46 and all ups and downs (mostly downs when compared to 1.75) of this version. Many of them are not familiar with cpp files to simply deletle few lines on their own.

I did't want to offend any of addonmakers. I have a lot of respect for them becouse of their work.

But still, removing those few line isn't that hard, or is it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (.40S&W @ Sep. 06 2002,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But still, removing those few line isn't that hard, or is it?<span id='postcolor'>

No, but testing them with 1.46, keeping two separate versions up to date and supporting them is more work.

Backtracking to make versions compatible with old ofp versions is not something I want to do. Yes, 1.75 isn't free but its still the newest version with newest features to use and enjoy...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 06 2002,20:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'll first just quote Adammos excellent post from another thread:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Apparently you dont under stand what the cfgmodels subroutine does.  It allows textures to change, example muzzle flash is just a texture change.  Also the props on an aircraft when spinning up and changing to BLUR is also a texture change.. the cfgmodels is needed for this texture change to work properly.  People just refer to the issue as a muzzle flash.. but it really has nothing to do with muzzle flash that just how it was identified first .. and yes the c130 has texture change from spinning props to blur props.. so it would effect it and it does need it.  btw if you make the change to 1.46 I won't support it and fix it.. so you guys are on your own. its worth the money to buy resistance. I know some people didnt upgrade because they had pirate copies .. that that is their problem. But for you legit users I suggest upgrading.. the netcode is WAY worth it..

Capt Moore <span id='postcolor'>

The current version of OFP is 1.75. There is no reason for modmakers to support older versions. If you want to use the current addons, missions and scripts, buy Resistance. Simple as that.<span id='postcolor'>

Ah, yes. What denoir said.

Also what sgtvor said.

There are some things that do not work in 1.46. Period.

I know I would never release something that wasn't finished and working.

And the C-130 will never work properly with 1.46. Unless there are some big changes. Changes that the addonmaker is not necessarily prepared to make.

Again, what denoir said: Go out and buy OFP:R

Oh yes, the c-130 DOES work in 1.46. Change a number, erase 5 or so lines and it works. Perfectly. About the only thing i can't modify to work in 1.46 is pistols (the motorbike class works in 1.46). I agree with kegetys, testing both versions of the game can be troublesome for the maker but, ever heard the word betatester? biggrin.gif

Anyway, if you don't make addons for 1.46 it's not my problem because i don't mind making the changes myself. The problem is (i say it again), lot's of people just don't know how.

Do anyone know why BIS can't relase new OFP Patch for working add-ons without resistance ?? Beacuse BIS must get very much cash from resistance. Just think about it wink.gif. Everything is fucking BIS business.

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Sep. 06 2002,21wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So your point is that if i don't have the money to buy resistance i don't deserve to use the new addons?<span id='postcolor'>

It's not that you don't deserve it, without the new software, you just....well...can't use it.

Becasue there is money to be paid for the update, you have to think of Resistance as another game entirely.  The fact that these new addons even work with the original flashpoint is an incredible stroke of luck for Cold War only users.

It's kinda like asking the developers of a Windows XP program to also make it compatible with Windows 95.

Yeah BIS, what a bunch of b@stards. How dare they put all that hard work in and then expect to charge for it.

Honestly. Maybe it would be nice if BIS would make a patch that upgrades 1.46 to 1.75 without the addons/enhancements of Resistance.

However, they've given us far more than your average software company and are still actively involved at this late stage.

Far easier to whine though, eh?

Erm.... I hate to be a stickler, but my computer can't run resistance at the moment.... which is a bit irritating with the C-130 finally out sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's not that you don't deserve it, without the new software, you just....well...can't use it.

<span id='postcolor'>

Uhhh, did you read my other posts? I can use it with minimal modifications. But most people doesn't know how to make that modifications. It gives more work to the modmakers, but look at the dkm-mod guys. They make very high quality addons and they make them for both versions.

TYsiEK, what's your fucking problem? BIS spent years making OFP, and they are even now trying to improve the game, yet you whine because they want money for Resistance? Do you have any idea of all the hours of hard work they spent to make Resistance? Damn, i would buy Resistance for twice the money it costs if i had the money right now and it would be worth it!

Well, that's a better reason than 'everything is f*cking BIS business.'

If you look in the C-130 thread, Adammo gives detailed reasons as to why it's for 1.75 only.

I'm sure someone will Jury-rig a 1.46 version eventually.

Sorry you can't run Resistance, it's well worth the upgrade, if only for the improved netcode.

(Edit: This is in reply to UKSub)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm sure someone will Jury-rig a 1.46 version eventually.<span id='postcolor'>

I've already asked adammo if i can post the modified cpp.

what bis does is just a smart thing to get more $$$ red hammer was something else than resistance because resistance uses something new its a seperated thing in your ofp folder and i think it was much work to get it work, releasing a patch is not good for them because then they wont get so much money from people that buy resistance

But still, it's just a few lines of code!

Remember I'm not talkin about addons with Res only features like Keg's S&W revolvers or his Russian Pack (is it really hi-res or getin rid of the Makarov pistol would be enough to  wink.gif ....).

For those who still runs ver 1.46 things that were pointed by Capt Moore are quite an abstarction.

And still, my 1.46 Hercules works as any other regular 1.46  good-quality addon.

it might not be just that, the textures might be a too high resolution for ofp, or he might have used something else that ofp:r has and ofpcwc doesnt, and keeping two addons up to date and completed instead of one is a hard thing to do, and maybe he just cant be bothered to make another version, and if the 1.46 version someone else makes is buggy then he might not want it out with his name on, in the end its up to him...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Erm.... I hate to be a stickler, but my computer can't run resistance at the moment.... which is a bit irritating with the C-130 finally out<span id='postcolor'>

Umm actually old islands will run as well as they did in 1.46, just set terrain detail to very low (it's very low by default in 1.46 and under, though you can't set it higher).

If a version was made for 1.46 it would be bugged version.

how?

because the HWT&L selection in the options will NOT work properly because it REQUIRES cfgmodels subroutine.

yes if you set it to Software in the options it will work.. if modified but the point it.. the addon would still be bugged.

Capt Moore

I made the UH1H Spec Op huey to be useable for both OFP:R and OFP by seperating the cfgmodels section of the cpp from the rest of the cpp. I didn't really get a chance to test if that works properly (seemed to be ok with the Nam Pack 1) but I haven't heard any reports of errors (apart from the Hardware T&L issue).

So if people with 1.46 could report back to me re: the Spec Op Huey if they find any errors that would be much appreciated.

Note: I'm not saying that all addons can be made compatiable with OFP and OFP:R, things like animations, pistols can be too integral to an addon that it would prevent making it compatible with both. For things like pistols you "could" seperate out the units that have the pistol equiped into a seperate OFP:R only pbo but that is a hell of alot of work especially for something like the Nam Pack 2 where we're talking over 50 different units.

What BIS need to do is to update 1.46 so that the cfgmodels code works.

SelectThis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (.40S&W @ Sep. 06 2002,20:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's the picture that is a compilation of "Resistance-only- addons" screenshots.

GROZA1.jpg

The shots were taken by me.

'So what?' you may say.

Well, nothig exept that I run OFP ver. 1.46 wink.gif

Conclusion:

Apart from MotorBikes, Handguns and Hi-res Textures, it's just the matter of few lines in cpp file!

Don't forget about this!<span id='postcolor'>

How about "Addonusers don't be lazy!"...it's not hard to modify them yourself.

I would rather see addonmakers using the time it would take to make a 1.46 version as well (however small it might be) put towards their next addon.

Also, there are bandwidth issues...two zip files = twice the bandwidth.  confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Remember I'm not talkin about addons with Res only features like Keg's S&W revolvers or his Russian Pack (is it really hi-res or getin rid of the Makarov pistol would be enough to ....). <span id='postcolor'>

Just get rid of the makarov and it works perfectly. Same thing with the Bwmod demo, get rid of the pistol and it works.

You are right adammo, it works perfectly with me because i don't use HWT&L. It would be bugged, but having a bugged c-130 is better than nothing.

As SelectThis said, BIS should release a patch to fix the cfgmodels issue.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Sep. 07 2002,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Remember I'm not talkin about addons with Res only features like Keg's S&W revolvers or his Russian Pack (is it really hi-res or getin rid of the Makarov pistol would be enough to   ....). <span id='postcolor'>

Just get rid of the makarov and it works perfectly. Same thing with the Bwmod demo, get rid of the pistol and it works.<span id='postcolor'>

Then try to play a mission that uses the pack (and the makarov) and get a "Missing addon: KEGmakarov" error tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Sep. 06 2002,21wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So your point is that if i don't have the money to buy resistance i don't deserve to use the new addons?<span id='postcolor'>

I run 1.46 and was really dissapointed that I couldn't use the C-130. Especially when I was looking a while for a transport plane (I guess this is a transport plane, right?) Boohoo sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif