Sign in to follow this  
st!gar

Can we expect missions on a larger scale in "Win"?

From what I understand from those who have completed- or otherwise played through a significant portion of "Adapt", the episode retains the small-scale focus of "Survive", with its apparent theme of guerrilla-style gameplay. I'm not entirely sure exactly how this differentiates it from "Survive", other than that, apparently, the player now occasionally leads his small team as opposed to be following it. :plain:

However, seeing as the last episode will presumably be dealing with...

NATO staging an invasion of the island.

...One could possibly allow oneself to hope that the theme and focus would broadly shift from that of small-time mischief caused by a minor clique of ragged survivors, over to that of more extensive actions staged by a conventional military force.

One point in particular that I optimistically-ish feel draws some credence to this, is "Showcase"-missions like "Armed Assault" and others. The current Campaign episodes does occasionally incorporate modified versions of Showcases here and there, and seeing as "Armed Assault" in particular...

Features a protagonist I assume to be the same Kerry from the Campaign, placed in the middle of an extensive kilometer-wide assault on an entrenched CSAT as a small cog in a substantial military machine.

...I'm left hoping that this serves as some indication of the overall theme of "Win". If there are any developers or something of the sort reading this post, I hope they could share some info.

Edited by St!gar
Spelling.

Pretty sure that Ep3 will have large scale battles with artillery, tanks and stuff flying in the sky. The mission size increased from Sruvive to Adapt already, and seeing the tendency, "Win" surely will have bigger missions.

I am kind of scared by it already, because usually late-game missions in any ArmA game were draining my FPS extremely in the past... which pretty much means for me, that they aren't fun to play. Though, if the missions are made / optimized like the Armed Assault showcase mission, I still have high hopes.

I want Win to have different characters than just Kerry. Tank mission as a different character. Jet mission as a different character. Helicopter mission as a different character. Special operations mission as a different character. Want them to bring in all the other characters they originally intended to feature back in 2011 as well.

For me 'Adapt' was just a bad experience all around, just like 'Survive' for the same reasons, tiny scale, scripted simple corridor objectives, questionable mission design (could be because of the bad AI) and a silly AI that either snipes you from afar through bushes and trees the second you take a peak around a corner or completely ignores you as you're 10m besides them. A bit worse in fact considering how clunky, to stay polite, is the commanding system and how the AI reacts to any given order (get to cover = prone in the middle of the road, AT soldier attack a vehicle = AT soldier shooting small arms at armor etc, all in all how the AI simply doesn't have any sense of what is safe, dangerous and how to... well.. "adapt").

I wouldn't have built any mission around that command system. I'm gonna stop here and won't even touch what's left to come of the campaign as the more I play it the more my love for Arma is put to the test. Multiplayer, mods, user missions hopefully save the day and succeed in putting to light the strong points of Arma, I don't know why the mission designers dedicate so much effort in keeping at good distance what makes Arma 3 a great Arma game, large scale operations, combined operations and a real sandbox experience with countless unique opportunities and real sense of freedom & choice consequences.

Edited by vivoune

I really hope so, though it's a given the Tanks showcase will be reused for a mission.

BIS kept crowing about how combined arms type missions are what Arma is known for yet they've barely done any. In fact it's all been spec ops/guerrilla missions since the original OFP campaign. Why even bother with that AAF reinforcement DLC when it was barely used? Doubt we'll even get to see half the vehicles in the game during the campaign.

I've already seen every new AAF vehicle in the campaign. Also, OA wasn't only spec ops/guerrilla at all.

I've already seen every new AAF vehicle in the campaign. Also, OA wasn't only spec ops/guerrilla at all.

I even drove one of their tanks in one mission...