Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Another quake

Since the LA Earthquake, we just had one up here last night. I live around 3 hours north of LA. My moms bed shook apparently, i felt it but i was have asleep so i thought i did one of those common shakes when you immediatly wake up after something stupid in your dream.

The first Earthquake i have ever experienced even though it was a boring 3.0 sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rob @ Sep. 06 2002,17:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Since the LA Earthquake, we just had one up here last night. I live around 3 hours north of LA. My moms bed shook apparently, i felt it but i was have asleep so i thought i did one of those common shakes when you immediatly wake up after something stupid in your dream.

The first Earthquake i have ever experienced even though it was a boring 3.0 sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

welcome to california smile.gif

eh...why are you sleeping in your mom's bed?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 05 2002,19wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

eh...why are you sleeping in your mom's bed?<span id='postcolor'>

haha no i wasn't, but she came in the room and said did you feel that... My dad was talking a wizz at the time and he didn't even feel the slightest judder... very strange. Prehaps he was sleep walking. biggrin.gif

just in case you are not aware of, here are some things i'd like to pass on during an earthquake.

1.duck, hide, and cover. - when earthquake strikes, it is most likely that your injury will come from falling objects, not falling through crater made by it. so should you be in the situation, lower your center of mass(duck/get down), look for sturdy thing to put yourself into(like under a desk), and cover your head/neck area.

2. goto door. when above cannot be done, you can goto nearest door and hold on there. in the hallway, the door edges(?) are the strongest point. so you open the door, and place yourself inbetween the edges.

3.while driving: if earthquake hits pull over. if you are on highway, stop.(ofcourse if others are still going, then better not)

As Ralph said, doorframes are some of the sturdiest places to be, but watch out for the doors themselves, they can get slammed open or shut with tremendous force. If you are wearing shoes, you can try putting the heel of your shoe next to the bottom edge of the door to keep it from hitting you -- sort of like a door stop.

Regarding driving and earthquakes, most people in vehicles never notice that an earthquake is in progress or just occurred if the vehicle is in motion unless the quake is/was quite strong, or unless they notice swaying traffic lights etc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rob @ Sep. 06 2002,23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My dad was talking a wizz at the time and he didn't even feel the slightest judder...<span id='postcolor'>

Ahh a man feels nothing while draining his lizard pond skippah! biggrin.gif

Thx guys but i like learnt all this in kindergarden biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 07 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">just in case you are not aware of, here are some things i'd like to pass on during an earthquake.

1.duck, hide, and cover. - when earthquake strikes, it is most likely that your injury will come from falling objects, not falling through crater made by it. so should you be in the situation, lower your center of mass(duck/get down), look for sturdy thing to put yourself into(like under a desk), and cover your head/neck area.

2. goto door. when above cannot be done, you can goto nearest door and hold on there. in the hallway, the door edges(?) are the strongest point. so you open the door, and place yourself inbetween the edges.

3.while driving: if earthquake hits pull over. if you are on highway, stop.(ofcourse if others are still going, then better not)<span id='postcolor'>

You know Ralph those are great suggestions but I dont think many people use them. When we had the LA Earthquake I didnt bother to get up. I just pulled the covers over me and had one last thought "Yup. Im screwed." Then it was over and I thought "Well, at least not yet." Then I went back to sleep.

I know bad idea but hell it was the middle of the night and I am not a morning person. smile.gif

neither do i. tounge.gif

but after experiencing some quakes, we all kinda know how bad ones are different from other ones. biggrin.gif my suggestion is that as long as you know no stuffs are on higher cabinet, don't worry too much! biggrin.gif

I have only experienced one or two tremors in my lifetime. The one I remember clearly lasted about a half-second. But it was enough to rattle all the plates and cups in my house, I only felt a slight jolt of it though. I think it was the remnants of that 3.0 magnitude 'earthquake' in Ohio that we felt, it happened about two years ago.

And to think that that tremor actually made it on the news here. biggrin.gif Must suck to live in Cali. But maybe the hot women and the nice beaches make up for it. tounge.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Sep. 07 2002,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have only experienced one or two tremors in my lifetime. The one I remember clearly lasted about a half-second. But it was enough to rattle all the plates and cups in my house, I only felt a slight jolt of it though. I think it was the remnants of that 3.0 magnitude 'earthquake' in Ohio that we felt, it happened about two years ago.

And to think that that tremor actually made it on the news here.  biggrin.gif  Must suck to live in Cali. But maybe the hot women and the nice beaches make up for it.  tounge.gif

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

lol CA isnt that bad. I prefer the earthquakes over hurricanes/tornadoes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol CA isnt that bad. I prefer the earthquakes over hurricanes/tornadoes.<span id='postcolor'>

Our weather isn't very extreme on the Niagara Peninsula, my city's last tornado was in the 1890's and our last hurricane was in the 1950's, so I feel pretty safe up here.

*knocks on wood* tounge.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 07 2002,09:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well, we don't get feets of snow in winter. if we want snow, we drive up about and hour or two biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yea but its worth the drive.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">we don't get feets of snow in winter<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, niether do we, at least not recently. Damn Global Warming. tounge.gif

Heh, I've been through quite a few CA earthquakes in my time...Ralphs right about knowing the bad quakes from the rest...generally, you get the rolling ones (constant vibration, pretty steady usually), and you got the nasty jolting ones (a series of sharp bumps of varying strength).

The jolting ones are rather....unnerving...at best.

I cant remeber how many earth quakes I slept through. Its amazing. Id say 95% of them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 07 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1.duck, hide, and cover. - when earthquake strikes, it is most likely that your injury will come from falling objects, not falling through crater made by it. so should you be in the situation, lower your center of mass(duck/get down), look for sturdy thing to put yourself into(like under a desk), and cover your head/neck area.<span id='postcolor'>

Wouldnt that just mean that the objects falling will fall an even higher altitude and gain more speed upon impack? :-o

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Sep. 07 2002,14:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wouldnt that just mean that the objects falling will  fall an even higher altitude and gain more speed upon impack? :-o<span id='postcolor'>

no. the object you are hiding under will break the fall smile.gif

The fault goes through Paso Robles which is near where i live, i have been here for hmmmm 3-4 months now and a friend of mine has lived here all her life and she is pissed at me for being able to feel it because she hasn't felt one before tounge.gif