Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Signal Lost: Great Mission or Mean Spirited?

Your problem is that the player can kill lots of bad guys? It doesn't matter who Kerry is, nobody could kill that many guys single-handedly. Not even the most elite special forces soldier. That's just what you do in video games. If a developer ever did achieve an actual human level of artificial intelligence, it would probably make for a pretty frustrating experience in a first-person shooter.

Didn't kill anyone, ran lots, opened a few doors, got shot at by a .50 at some stage. Blew myself up on the defensive mines the first time around, oops!

Played the mission on regular, seemed fairly easy.

Despite being fairly incompetent at ARMA, I actually found this mission quite easy. I went into the town, grabbed a Mk200, just hid while the helicopter landed and then kept on creeping through. When I had to cross the road at the foot of the hill I went inland a little, then sprinted across, there were a couple of AAF who shot at me a little but missed and then I just headed up the hill and linked up with James.

Played the mission on regular, seemed fairly easy.

Despite being fairly incompetent at ARMA, I actually found this mission quite easy. I went into the town, grabbed a Mk200, just hid while the helicopter landed and then kept on creeping through. When I had to cross the road at the foot of the hill I went inland a little, then sprinted across, there were a couple of AAF who shot at me a little but missed and then I just headed up the hill and linked up with James.

Yes, most of the difficulty of the mission is about finding your way. Once you know where to go, it's rather obvious which path is the best, and the mission is then not that hard.

That said, it's a very nice intro to the episode, the sight of the town filled with ennemies, the feeling that the environment is huge , I really had a blast the first time I played it, even if I already knew the island and its features.

I play in 1st person only, had to restart it like 3 times, with one occurence absolutely brilliant due to me nearly making it out of the town, and deciding to go hunting for more weapon/ammo in a nearby ruined house, got spotted and shot at, while I was on the 1st floor, stepped back avoiding fire, too much, into a hole in the wall, I fell down 1 floor, and broke my leg.

I then proceeded back to 2 corpses I had shot earlier for medkits, and got caught pants down in the middle of a road by an APC. DayZ moment in A3. Brilliant.

James is indeed tricky to find, but the personnal mine is definitely there and visible, I nearly tripped it :)

Can I review the dialogues somewhere?

I see you got through this mission, but for future reference, when you open the map, there is a menu of additional information on the top left. I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact items there, but you can review your objectives, team members and their inventories, etc. One of the options there will show you past dialogue.

But I haven't gotten to the worst part as Im not entirely sure it's true but if it is *sigh* ...that being, multiple times I have gotten past the initial town sentry and although still constantly fighting and running from new found enemies -whenever I seem to gain some traction...I die... I just..die..? ... I want to beat this mission and also not take some exploit side stepping wide sweep pass -though maybe it's not possible due to these strange deaths anyway.

I'm not sure you could just do a wide side-stepping. I just drop dead when I do that. No explosion or anything, I just die. I suspect the game just kills me if I stray past a certain point. This has only happened when I took a certain route (see spoiler below), and always preceded by Kerry saying something along the lines of "I'm getting lost, I should get back on track." Does anyone know if the game actually does that? If it does: BOOO!

going north of the starting beach, I swam to the mini island and died there

Here's what I found when I played:

After climbing up from the beach I turned south and there was one of those shrine-like things with a pair of binoculars inside. Continuing south, towards the boats in the harbor -facing the castle- you come to a ridge, below which with two soldiers stand by a Strider by the side of a road, facing away. Crawling down I managed to kill them with a pistol and arm at the Strider. Not driveable, though.

I didn't spawn with a pistol. Is it broken because of a patch or are mods interfering with it?

I didn't spawn with a pistol. Is it broken because of a patch or are mods interfering with it?

What mods are you using?