Sign in to follow this  
manfred89

Problem with 'simple' retexturing of weapon, please help

Hey all, This may seem like an obvious question to some, but I've been searching for several days now and haven't quite been able to find the answer, which may be obvious but I'm a complete novice and this is my first attempt at getting an addon into arma.

I'm trying to simply re texture an EBR rifle, the texturing aspect itself is no problem, but seeing the textures in game seems to be. I can repack and assign the rifle to a unit in the editor, and the unit looks as if he's holding the rifle - which has the correct name I assigned in the config to it displaying in the action menu, but nothing is visible. I changed the texture paths of the model in a hex tool, correctly I think as per instruction. My pbo log has this at the bottom "Creating texture headers file...Texture headers file was not created - no textures found."

My folder structure seems ok, I've included the p3d and I have textures in a data folder. I've included the config, which I based off GDSN's mx_black. There may be some glaring mistakes, I'd be grateful if someone could point them out to me? Thanks!

class CfgPatches {

class EBR_camo {

units[] = {};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.1;

requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Weapons_F"};

};

};

class CfgWeapons {

class EBR_base_F; // External class reference

class EBR_camo : EBR_Base_F {

model = "\ebr_camo\EBR_F.p3d";

displayName = "Woodland Camo Painted EBR";

picture = "\A3\weapons_F\LongRangeRifles\EBR\Data\UI\gear_EBR_X_CA.paa";

};

};

So you're hex editing the rifle then. Well, have you gotten permission from BI? Let's assume you have (if you haven't, you need to). Next, what's the path name of the original texture(s) and what's the pathname of the new texture(s)? Those two (or more) pathnames need to have the same number of characters. Pathnames include both folder(s) name(s) and texture(s) name(s).

Wow really, I didn't know that. I see so many re textures of Arma 3 models out there I assumed there were no issues with doing it. So it's only ok to texture p3ds if they have hidden selections then? I'd just add the textures to a mission file, as that seems so much easier, but as the rifle doesn't seem to have hiddenselections I have no idea how to assign the textures/ if that's possible? Currently I'm interested in re texturing a few weapons and some character heads for a mission I'm working on, if there's an easier way, I'd happily take that path. Anyway,

the original textures path is - "a3\weapons_f\longrangerifles\ebr\data\m14_ebr01_co.paa"

my replacement is - "ebr_camo\data\ebr\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\m14_ebr01_co.paa"

Both 54 characters, either that or I can't count. And thanks for your help antoineflemming, I'm a big fan of your work :)

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

btw in that last post there seems to be a space between the "c" and the "o" at the end of each path, that's not how I have it, I'm not sure why that happened.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Right, ok, I've just read a few thoughts on hex editting, and it seems it's frowned upon. That's cool, I'd much rather an alternative. On that note, Could I ask for some guidance on the best way to go about getting a re textured weapon in game, perhaps the method you'd use yourself? Thanks :)

This is something I'd like to do ....but with the titan launcher. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have not come across one post with a solution on this A3 forum concerning the re-texturing of an existing A3 weapon.

As for the permission deal and BIS. Really? If this is the case, they don't seem to enforce it to any real degree. I understand issues with some assets from previous games. But re-texts? I think they would need a department of personnel to handle the law suits.

Subscribed to this thread as I'd like to see a working re-texture of a weapon with full texture control over every aspect of the gun.

Zeo

I'm sure the Titans have hiddenSelections along with the MK20 and TRG20.

Surpher. As there is no current example code floating around. Are you able to provide us with a working example? You would be doing the community a big favor. As you are aware, my coding abilities are limited. I can only go so far with this stuff. I think when I originally asked about the titan, no hidden selections (Beta) were currently available.

A config would be magic :)

Zeo

Mx has hidden selections, good news! Is it possible to assign textures to a units mx ( that he spawns carrying ) through the mission file ( no extra addon required )? Thanks Surpher.