Sign in to follow this  
Jedo

Stutter regardless of fps (worse with new patch)

I have had this for a while but it got worse after the new patch.

Now, Arma 3 doesn't run that well on my (new!) PC but even when I am in a place where I have 30fps the game will still stutter when I move. It seems a lot like the problem people (myself included) had in Arma II

I tried to ignore this for a while in the multiplayer because then the problem goes away for a while, but I just started the 2nd episode of the sp campaign, Adapt, and it's much worse.

...Anyone?

Specs

PCU: Intel i7 3770K 3.50GHz

GPU: Radeon HD7950

RAM: Corsair 16Gb 1600MHz

PSU: Seasonic 620Watt

HD: 2x WD 500GB

Reduce VD. Ludacris amount of objects that need to be loaded into memory will cause stutter. Reducing view distance should help (I keep it on 3600 both object and general)

PCU: Intel i7 4770K 3.9GHz @ 4,5Ghz

GPU: Geforce GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150Mhz/7500Mhz

RAM: corsair dominator platinum 4x8GB 2133Mhz CL9

PSU: Corsair 1200i Watt

HD: 2x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB

And with 3000 View Distance and 2200 Object, (the rest High/Very High) I get barely 30 FPS on Atlis and massive drops... Guess my computer is a LOWEND computer :)

Troubleshooting forum.

Lots of high end computer users with similar issues.

Have you tried turning off vsync? That causes stutter for me in every game I turned it on in.

Make sure its off in catalyst panel/nvidias control panel as well (application decides or similar setting). Its called vertical refresh in Catalyst.

Reduce VD. Ludacris amount of objects that need to be loaded into memory will cause stutter. Reducing view distance should help (I keep it on 3600 both object and general)

mines also on 3600 view dis and 2600 obj dis

Putting arma 3 on a ramdisk basically eliminated any stutter for me

If you got more than 16GB ram and don't put arma 3 on a ramdisk you're really missing out on the insane loading speeds.

Sorry guys, just realised I put this in the wrong forum.

Anyway, my overall view distance is 2700 (quite frankly, why in 2014 there are still no flying cars and I still cannot play with 10k view distance is beyond me). So I tried switching Vsync off both in the video card settings and in the game and it seems that this has indeed helped with the problem, but now I have two problems:

1. My Vsync doesn't work...

2. The stutter has been transformed from big randomised jumps to a constant low level fast stutter (d-d-d-d-d-d). It's much less noticeable but it's almost like you are watching a fast flickering fluorescent lamp. After a while it makes you eyes hurt.

well everybody has ther own sensitivity to inputlag, low frames etal. But stutter sux!

Your nice rig is being held back by your HDDs.. Maybe one is in need of a defrag? Maybe one is too full(less than 20% or more). Do you use Hibernation? That will store the equivalent of your RAM, just like your Page will and thats 32GB total. Then the rest of your Apps(AV),VidRAM and the game may well be abit much on your HDDs if they are really full? ARMA3 is all about streaming off the Disk.

What rez is your Display? And do you use AA in the CCC? Or whats it set to anyways.

And last question; is it a particular mission you play?

As for me, on the missions I play i can get 25fps for a whole game. and never stutter and its smooth. Cause smooth is much more importation than FPS.

@kklownboy Indeed I do not defrag much, because often when I did it in the past, shortly thereafter, my HDD would die and I would have to reinstall windows + data lost. Have not used Hybernation but that is if you need more RAM right? Isn't 16 gigs enough?

Let's see what happens if I clean up the hard drive.

Res is 1920x1080 Could it have something to do with the fact that I have 3 screens? I only use one of them for games, but the other two I guess are still displaying.

In the control center the AA is set to application controlled, pretty much like everything else.

Never heard of ram disk before by the way. How does that work? You install the game onto ram like it's a hard drive? Doesn't that mean you loose all that ram for other applications?

I've been working on things in offline mode. Made a copy to another driver (ssd) and use a junction point. I will download the new update tonight and see if changes how the game behaves. Essentially I will have two installs of arma3, one at the version prior to this latest update and one current. Won't answer any questions, but it would be interesting to see if the latest has some issues on my setup.

What I have noticed, after spending a long time now educating myself as I've not been into arma much in the past, is that stutters and pauses, those tiny ones you get periodically, involve your disc drives as others are saying. I have an ssd drive and still see it. But I can tell you when I moved it from a 7200rpm sata drive to my ssd drive, I got about 25% more fps and smoother play.

In the last couple weeks I have been playing with using a ram drive, as also mentioned. That really really really makes a difference. The concept is pretty simple, you create a section of your ram that will, through software, act like another hdd. You then copy certain files to the ram drive and use the -mod parameter to start arma, which points to the ram drive.

The result is that when the game needs to read from a given file, and that file is in ram already, the read speeds are crazy fast compared to your hdd, and thus those small stutters diminish greatly or go away all together.

Regarding multiple screens, I have found that going to basic color mode (no aero essentially aka "basic composition") gives some better performance. I have two screens and watch my monitors etc on my second.

Another thing that, for me, helped beyond compare, in every game, is to turn off core parking if your cpu is doing that. All games have benefited thus far from that. Also, for me, turning off hyperthreading in my bios was a significant improvement as well. May not apply nor work for you, just sharing.

I'll report back if the new version causes issues. Suppose to have a test session with some buds tonight.

Played about 4 hours with the new update. No issues on my machine in regards to performance.