Sign in to follow this  
Deadfast

Starting the scouting missions in Adapt

I must be missing something really obvious but I simply cannot figure out how to embark onto one of the optional scouting missions you receive by eavesdropping on the conversations.

I tried looking for an action on every single thing in the base with no success, I even tried running away but no matter what I do it just eventually forces me into the main ambush mission.

What am I missing? :confused:.

What you move far enough away from the base, it should say "Moving away father will start the patrol", "patrol" being the scouting mission.

I love the idea of this, and it'll add a lot of time for me to enjoy the game, but I hate that I don't have any NVGs and can't see anything... Guess I'll have to do them later =/

Hm, is there any particular direction I should be moving to? I ran in a straight line towards the clinic and nothing happened. I got within 500m before the ambush mission forcibly started.

This one has really gotten me scratching my head.

Both Bomos and Gori bases feature the excellent non-linear sidemission system with the tactical map.

At Bomos, I listen to all the conversations from that same group of guys, one after the other. The missions show up on the strategic map, but are locked until I do the fuel truck mission... at which point for obvious reasons the Bomos missions are no longer available.

Did the campaign just make me skip half its content, or were the sidemissions just teases, or is something wrong?

Side missions are not triggered via the strategic map, only their location is stored there.

Leave the base in any direction you want - the Scouting mission will start. And then just find some vehicle and move to the desired location.

But, please, first try to find if there isn't a similar topic before starting new.

Leave the base in any direction you want - the Scouting mission will start. And then just find some vehicle and move to the desired location.

We have no way of knowing this.

I would be shocked to learn that 5% of players actually pick up on it.

Every law of game design, human logic and military necessity is pushing us to walk forward to our waypoint and join the briefing for the urgent mission ahead. I was assuming that the missions were being stored for after the convoy mission, showing up on the Strategic Map and all.

When your commanding officer orders you to form up, you don't go for a walk.

People are going to miss half the content of the campaign this way.

Just happened. I missed all. Guess i will play through the whole campaign again with the last episode. Also i find it a bit hard to take out a heavily guarded checkpoint alone i have to say, for example.

We have no way of knowing this.

I would be shocked to learn that 5% of players actually pick up on it.

I only found out about scouting mission when I was in an armory and some FIAs outside were talking about it.

The Bomos base badly needs a line of dialog making it clear that the convoy ambush is NOT urgent, and that you have lots of time to do other things first.

I only found out about scouting mission when I was in an armory and some FIAs outside were talking about it.

^this, but I thought if I start the main mission, I will detour to these on the way and they will mention it again, but nope. Maybe you could stick it in a radio hint or a normal H hint like you have with other things such as commanding.

Yea... i totally missed out on all the side missions on teh first camp too .... i was like "ahhh they'll be around, i'll just do this mission to get into the flow of thigns)".... yea, didn't happen.

Second base, i started doing missions... i'm so psyched that i found an ATV, loaded it up with a bunch of loot, guns, ammo, bombs.. etc.... I got so much loot, i figured i'd bring it back to base to "store" first, then do the next mission.

What happens as i approach base? I lose my ATV, i lose all loot in the ATV, and i lose the scope i found and put on my primary weapon. Wasted 20 mins gathering and sorting loot in an atv. :/ FYI - ATV is also gone after leaving base for a new scouting mission

Oh well ... ... maybe arma4 will have such campaign features

Yea... i totally missed out on all the side missions on teh first camp too .... i was like "ahhh they'll be around, i'll just do this mission to get into the flow of thigns)".... yea, didn't happen.

Second base, i started doing missions... i'm so psyched that i found an ATV, loaded it up with a bunch of loot, guns, ammo, bombs.. etc.... I got so much loot, i figured i'd bring it back to base to "store" first, then do the next mission.

What happens as i approach base? I lose my ATV, i lose all loot in the ATV, and i lose the scope i found and put on my primary weapon. Wasted 20 mins gathering and sorting loot in an atv. :/ FYI - ATV is also gone after leaving base for a new scouting mission

Oh well ... ... maybe arma4 will have such campaign features

+1 exact same for me. :/

The task you get 'Scouting (Optional)' clearly states that you need to leave the camp at your own discretion...

Seriously guys... READ!!!

The task you get 'Scouting (Optional)' clearly states that you need to leave the camp at your own discretion...

This task does not exist in the first camp, only at Gori. We have nothing to read.

Also, when we have no traditional briefing screen, we have no reason to look at the task screen. When the game dumps in the action with no briefing, it is only rational to follow the waypoints. It's just poor design.

I does exist in Gori.

Once you get 'New task assigned' over the whole screen it is logical to check out the tasks.

My first post clearly states I tried leaving so please, cease the condescension. I was running dev branch at that point so maybe it was somehow bugged.

Furthermore, the phrasing of the task is not really clear. Yes, it does say leave, on the other hand you could leave in a cutscene or something as well. It should be a bit less ambiguous in basically telling you to walk out.

I found out how to save your NVG on the first (night) mission

after you arrived the camp, go strait to the armory without triggering debriefing. Deposit all your equipment in one of the boxes.

That way after 10 days you could get back all your high-tech without trying to find another NVG in the dark.

I think I finally figured this out. Can anyone confirm you can only go on patrol before completing the Report in objective (i.e. before it turns day again)?

I think I finally figured this out. Can anyone confirm you can only go on patrol before completing the Report in objective (i.e. before it turns day again)?

In the first base, yes. If you report in, you get driven out of the area in the next mission.

In the first base, yes. If you report in, you get driven out of the area in the next mission.

Yeah, but I thought: "first things first, let's go to the waypoint" which magically skips you to the next morning without any hint of doing so whatsoever and thanks to Deadfast I got a heads-up that I probably should do the side tasks before attending the briefing or - me too - would have missed half the fun.

Constructive criticism on mission design:

The dialog with James at night should indicate that

- the briefing is in the morning and that the time will fast forward when using the action

- any other tasks in the camp should be completed before daybreak

EDIT:

In any case just stumbling onto the table should not start the briefing which effectively cancels out all the other tasks; the night mission. It also makes no sense for you to stand 10 hours next to the table until daybreak. A total immersion AND mission breaker.

Edited by Fireball

Current order of events is:

1. Arrive at base with Miller
  2. Go to the table to meet the FIA commander
  3. Time skip to night
  4. Go speak with James or start scouting
  5. Go to the table or start scouting
  6. Presumably stand there like a buffoon for several hours until daylight
  7. Teleport to armory
  8. Walk to rally point to start convoy ambush

My proposal:

1. Arrive at base with Miller
  2. Go to the table to meet the FIA commander
  3. Time skip to night
  4. Be told that you can mess around the base ("perhaps you will find something interesting to do ;)") or activate an action to sleep till the morning located on a bed in the house you walk out of (alternatively just have a task "Sleep" in the house)
  5. Activate sleep action or start scouting
  6. Go speak with James
  7. Go to the table
  8. Teleport to armory
  9. Walk to rally point to start convoy ambush

Thanks for the thread guys!

I also expected the side missions to be more obviously accessible but I guess they are not. So after spending an hour or so on the convoy mission I am reverting just to see how nicely the side missions play out. :)

Has anyone noticed any benefit of doing the side missions?

If you listen to the convo's that activate the missions, they talk about " getting more supplies, helps us out etc.." ... so i do all the side missions, but i see nothing that really benefits me? no med kits anywhere. Also, did killing the sniper in the factory help me somehow? Did destroying the immobilized tnak crews make the main mission easier? did destroying the outposts help me in someway?

In the FUel run mission (think BINGO FUEL) *SPOILER ALERT* ----> you are given the choice of delivering the fuel to Miller to use as a bomb or delivering it to your base. (i used it for the bomb) ... in the following mission where you get shipped out to stratis, the ATV driver tells you "Oh sorry, can't take you further, we still have no fuel source" ..... a moment later Miller tells me "enemy units in village, if only we would of used the fuel truck as a bomb etc..." ....

doesn't add up. Get your story straight ;-)

To activate the side mission, you simply need to "set them as current objective" before leaving the base on foot. After about 100m, you will get teleported to the mission.

Some of them are usefull as they can give you nice guns and ammo.

***SPOILERS*

The sniper mission gave me a rocket laucnher with lot of ammo.

The animal farm mission gave me med packs, while the one south of it gave me a nice zafir and a good scope.

Don't forget that you can load up supply on a truck and drive it back to your base. The content will go automaticly in the ammo boxes