Sign in to follow this  
daringd

DayZ SA Maps and Objects: Support

H All,

So I've been putting in some work on a new terrain specifically for DayZ SA. I know that people will read this and say "but there is no support for new maps and objects yet!" so please, if you read this and want to reply with something like that, don't.

We need a forum for those of us who are, have and will want to create content for future release when the game is complete and had a full release, I have been working on a terrain for over 16 months now (you can see my progress here)and I am starting to wonder about testing in the DayZ specific engine, I have even played around with getting DayZ to work as a buldozer a few times (to no avail).

I really would love a DayZ specific forum so all of us who are ready to start putting in work for new content can begin getting to work, we all know that this stuff takes a long time to make, and as with any new game, there is a lot of trail and error involved, not to mention the pains you have to go to in the normal process of creating objects and terrains.

I read a thread that is now closed about using the new models, and it was closed for good reason (it eluded to modifying existing BIS content), but I'm not wanting to use BIS models and objects, I am creating it myself and there are lots of others out there doing the same.

DayZ has a different file Structure to Arma, slightly, there is no CA folder, now it is a DZ folder, and the new models will not work in the old engine, I'm not sure exactly why yet but I suspect there will be diferences in config files and probably within the models themslves, but it raises questions I want to find answers to, and a forum is exactly the way we can find these answers and organise ourselves in our pursuit of making good quality content for DayZ.

Lastly, I don't expect that we will be able to release any of this content for use in DayZ any time soon, but this is a great thing, the more time it takes, the more time there is to refine, perfect and streamline whatever it is we are doing, so please BIS, please give us the means to find our community in plain sight of BIS where you have the opportunity to guide and keep an eye on what were are doing!

I hope this isn't too much to ask

Daring

Hey Prof,

There are DayZ forums on the DayZ website (as one would expect...huh), but not a proper fully structured section as there is here on the BIS site for the arma series and so on.

I'm hoping for a full on structure with a visitor and oxygen section so we can be as well organised as people creating content for the other BIS games.

If I'm wrong (which... has defiantly never happened before, honestly) then I'd be happy about it because it would mean we already have this up and running.

D

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

it also means if this is implemented, we can begin to unclutter other forums and move over all DayZ related posts to the new, correct forum, keeps it all nice and neat.

D

I thought at last check there was going to be no modding support at all, period, for DayZ SA?

Also, I highly doubt that would end well. The DayZ community has it's own moderators, has treated ArmA addonmakers/terrain makers like shit, made money off of A2 addons, etc. etc. etc. Merging the two into one forum is almost certainly not going to end well for anybody. We're two related communities, but we're step-brothers and while we tolerate each others existence the younger brother annoys the living crap out of the older brother.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

I thought at last check there was going to be no modding support at all, period, for DayZ SA?

Also, I highly doubt that would end well. The DayZ community has it's own moderators, has treated ArmA addonmakers/terrain makers like shit, made money off of A2 addons, etc. etc. etc. Merging the two into one forum is almost certainly not going to end well for anybody. We're two related communities, but we're step-brothers and while we tolerate each others existence the younger brother annoys the living crap out of the older brother.

Check it again. DH has stated multiple times that he intends modding to be a feature for the full release. He just wants to focus on security in the mean time.

I fully agree, wanting to create stuff for the eventual release of DayZ, I did meet with some resistance, not much (because of my boyish charm and good looks I suspect) but I have seen others met with outright contempt. I've had nothing but love from a few veteran 's out there, Bushlurker, Gnat, Mondkalb to name but a few, have helped me no end in my pursuit of editing knowledge. But it is time that DayZ had it's own branch, because it's a different set up and it will give some of us things to do, testing and then adapting existing information on how to create folder and file structures, how to set up configs, how to get a DayZ Buldozer etc, etc, etc (alwazs giving credit to the giants who's shoulders you stand on, of course).

I really feel strongly about this, not enough to get militant, but I think the DayZ community needs this, even at this early stage, so we can begin to organise ourselves.

D

So,

I was giving this even more thought last night and I know what I think we would need to make developing for DayZ possible and workable.

a. being able to get DayZ to work as a buldozer for testing out new models and terrains.

b. a basic way to test things out "in game" such as doors and gates opening, scroll wheel options working properly and so on.

Is there anyone else who is waiting on these things?

I don't even know if the rvmats work in the same or even similar way, I assume not because the shading is completely updated too in the 'hybrid engine'.

I guess some of us could begin to try and understand how things work, pick a few stitches, unless that's something BIS specifically do not want people doing? A little guidance BIS?

D

§8) Post in the right forum & right thread

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator. If a thread exists for the topic you wish to post about you must use it, for example all ACE questions belong in the ACE thread. All addon/mod questions belong in the thread for that addon/mod. In the case of DayZ discussions they should be posted on the DayZ forums, this includes problems with the Modification. The troubleshooting forum is not for problems with Addons and Mods!

Rocket made it clear once, he doesn't want any DayZ threads on the BI forums and i don't have any info that this objective has changed.

-closed-