Sign in to follow this  
DuoBlackrose

How to make the AI Hold position?

so i've googled this in every wording i can think of to no avail, i'm trying to set up a mission where the enemy are occupying a base, and since AI are too stupid to use buildings properly i have to use this code

copytoclipboard format ["this setDir %1 this setPos %2", getDir player, getPosATL player];

to set the AIs position, but i've run into a problem, that i expected. the AI are so "formation oriented" that they immediatly run to their CO's side the minute the mission starts, which is exactly where i don't want them. i want them to hold the deffensive positions that I set. anyone know what i can add to the Initialization of the unit to make it hold it's position no matter what?

Run this on each unit

doStop unitName;

and this on the group

groupName enableAttack false;

It stops the squad leader issuing commands "like fall back". Can't remember for sure if you need the doStop now, but it won't hurt.

• Like 2

In addition I'd say your best de-grouping the units when your setting their pos by the method in your post since your placing an individual unit, the stuff bellow is several different ways of making them stop / stand up, chose the ones that fit your need most:

Orders the unit to remain in place he will pivot however:

doStop this;

Stops all movements:

this disableAI "move";

Units Stance options = up / middle / down :

this setunitpos "up";

More info:

Edited by Big_Wilk
  • Like 1

In addition I'd say your best de-grouping the units when your setting their pos by the method in your post since your placing an individual unit, the stuff bellow is several different ways of making them stop / stand up, chose the ones that fit your need most:

Orders the unit to remain in place he will pivot however:

doStop this;

Stops all movements:

this disableAI "move";

Units Stance options = up / middle / down :

this setunitpos "up";

More info:

i knew the word "stop" was in the command somewhere....someone mentioned it when i asked about the setting position script.

as for grouping, i'd leave them all de-grouped if i could, but it seems ARMA likes it best if they are in squads. my game runs smoother if 80 units are in 10 squads of 8 rather than all on their own.

as for grouping, i'd leave them all de-grouped if i could, but it seems ARMA likes it best if they are in squads. my game runs smoother if 80 units are in 10 squads of 8 rather than all on their own.

That's correct. Every group "leader" consumes much more calculation power than their subordinates, that is, many calculations are done per group. Speaking of which, does anybody know how many units can be grouped together now?

Yeh they do (what seba said), but if your putting so many units down that your experiencing performance issues by ungrouping them in the editor, I think your probs gonna lag your mission out.

That's correct. Every group "leader" consumes much more calculation power than their subordinates, that is, many calculations are done per group. Speaking of which, does anybody know how many units can be grouped together now?

Group functions and squad movement get a little clunky if you do more than eight, I'm still tinkering around with it, but my 16 man squads have been giving me trouble.

Yeh they do (what seba said), but if your putting so many units down that your experiencing performance issues by ungrouping them in the editor, I think your probs gonna lag your mission out.

I'm going for an all out assault. D-Day style, I'm going to get lag no matter what.

I'm going for an all out assault. D-Day style, I'm going to get lag no matter what.

:) Alright.

another question, the patroling forces around the compound keep leaving and wandering off as soon as the battle starts. i want them to guard the compound, and never leave it. suggestions?

Basically, what Big_Wilk said, is the best you can do to restrict AI movement.

Basically, what Big_Wilk said, is the best you can do to restrict AI movement.

yeah, the guys i want to stay still are staying still, but the patrols keep wandering off when the shooting starts.

its not attualy I ment to say:

this disableAI "target";

disableing target will do what you want better.