Sign in to follow this  
meatball

Force a Laptop (or other item) to act like a piece of gear?

There any way to make a laptop (or any other small item for that matter) act like a piece of gear so it can be picked up and carried in a backpack?

Hmm, that could work, but looks like it just adds/removes an addaction to take/drop a laptop that gets created/deleted. I want it to be an actual object the players can carry, drop and take from other players corpses if need be. I thought about just using a Parachute and changing the name to "Laptop Bag" which would work, but I believe can't change the name of the backpack without a mod.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Let me clarify what I want to do, as there may be other ways to do this. I want the players to have to find some sort of object. Pick that object up, carry it with them, be able to drop, or have the item taken from their inventory, and have that object fire a trigger if the player that is carrying the object enters the trigger.

It's not possible without making an addon. To simulate having the item, you'd need to add an action to the object and delete / re-create the item as needed.

So, I ended up setting up an addaction on the object, and the addaction does an 'attachto' to stick the object to the person. Works pretty well for the most part and it's just a matter of dealing with some glitchiness with how it actually attaches to the player and looks a bit goofy in game.

Considering all but one of the necessary items to convert the "Laptop" into an item you can actually pick up and use like a gun or magazine are all there (all you're missing is an inventory icon), I don't think it would be that hard to create the addon necessary to do what you want. But you would need to write the config and extract all the models and textures and what not.

Agreed, but that would then require everyone playing the mission to download/enable the addon, which I'd rather avoid.