Sign in to follow this  
sayjimwoo

Bohemia Interactive's ambitions are always set too high.

Higher terrain or object settings, mean more objects/object parts to be render, hence more commands from the already struggling cpu, to send data to the gpu. Of course, more physics stuff involved in this may be a culprit as well. Probably tessalation/dynamic tesslation could fix this, as the gpu, if I'm not mistaken, would dynamically add or subtract polygons.

Supposedly, the entire city from the clip bellow is rendered using that dynamic tesselation method. Also to point out, it's said it was running at 60fps on gtx680 1080p which is not short of amazing.

that interests me a lot. i only have it seen mentioned briefly before and was wondering what it is about. do i need a special set up for this like HC or something or do you mean simply hosting the mission from my PC and picking a slot?

You need set up a dedicated server on your PC, using the server.exe that ships with the game. Then start up your client on the same PC and join the server. Obviously you also need to save any missions you create as multiplayer ones. Once connected to the server, login as admin and manage the missions as necessary.

Just chiming in to reiterate the point about dedicated servers. The clan I joined (160th SOR for any Aussies) has spent a considerable amount of time optimising the dedicated server we use. They have changed hosts several times, going to a great deal of trouble for essentially strangers. Fortunately there are a few key community members out there who are willing to go the extra distance and do the hard work and pay every month for premium quality servers. There seems to me to be a tremendous amount of work done by mission and mod makers to ensure high performance, including extensive mods like ALIVE and MCC which allow for minimal AI processes. BI make solid contributions to solving performance problems as well, you could argue that Zeus is an example of solving performance problems by extracting from the engine a style of play which is likely to be much less resource intensive. The HDAO was another good example. To a certain extent it is not surprising that the Arma 2 maps have smaller viewdistances than Altis, which also helps performance. Then it is down to the player to be responsible for their own hardware and settings, not to get greedy. But my point is that some of you have probably exhausted 90-99% of the options available to you as an individual consumer to maximise your performance. It might be time to investigate what you can achieve collectively through hosting quality dedicated servers, making efficiencies in mission scripting, investigating some of the excellent mods to assist with AI etc. I know that in comparison to the Alpha, my frames have probably doubled through a mix of fine tuning on my part (new SSD), but mostly by choosing to spend my time playing Arma with a group of dedicated and generous folks, and taking advantage of the skills of the community (and that includes the developers themselves) to get the most out of the game as it stands. That is where that extra 20fps comes from.

My equipment (surely put to shame by most here): Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, 4.00GB GSkill 1024 MB DDR2 RAM, ASUS P5KR Mobo (0703 Bios from 2008), ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB, Samsung 128GB SSD 840 Pro (Arma 3 install), Corsair 500GB HDD (Windows 7 SP 1 install).

Settings: Everything max except: Sampling 100%, Objects: High, Textures: High, FSAA: Disabled, HDAO High, SMAA Ultra, Vsync: Off and Viewdist: 1750 ObjViewdist: 1250. Fullcreen 1920x1080.

SweetFX v. 1.3 with custom settings (no performance impact)

Usual mods, ADF_Uncut, JSRS 2.1, A3MP

Gameplay example: I played this mission with 160th. Didn't even think about fps once, so it must have been >25 the whole time. PvP missions on A2 maps it is consistently higher. That is pretty much all I want from the game.

Edited by Flaky

It truly amazes me the amount of fan boys who jump on to attack anybody criticizing their beloved game and telling it how it is.  

It runs like complete crap and 60fps should be the standard.  

• Like 1

It truly amazes me the amount of fan boys who jump on to attack anybody criticizing their beloved game and telling it how it is.  

please do not dig up old thread-read the forum rules. " Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added"

• Like 1

Unfortunate to hear you are not enjoying your time in arma3. There is a steam refund policy.

The standard among rival tactical simulators (Battlefield, Squad, etc.) are tiny maps (4x4km max), dumb AI (no suppression), simplistic physics (no fatigue, no ballistics, no penetration , no ricochet), no editor and no support for mods.

So I'll take lower performance over lower features any day.

PS A3 runs 60+ fps @ 1080p with Ultra Settings in SP on a PC costing <$1000.

• Like 3

I thought it was generally accepted WHY ArmA is "performance-limited", it's a non-player-centric game with huge areas and non-scripted AI that has to navigate & combat in it. Plus, nearly everyone plays some sort of mod, which immediately adds to the issue. I thought it was generally accpted and we play it anyway because, for probably those reasons, no-one else is really doing it.

*edit*

Oh wait I guess this thread is necro'd :/

It's a standard among gaming period.  I never mentioned any of those games.  In general games are only enjoyable at a solid 60 fps no lower than 40-50 fps drop. 

However Overclocked at 4.5ghz and some areas drop to the low 30's even 20's.  

You can sit there and defend all you want but the sheer volume of FPS boost guides out there speaks for itself.  

I wouldn't take the time to type my concerns if I didn't give a shoot about the game or thought it wasn't a good one.  

I got over 2000 hours in it.