Sign in to follow this  
sayjimwoo

Bohemia Interactive's ambitions are always set too high.

There are thousands of complaints on these forums, many of them valid, some our my own -thats why I only call out the ones that come across as juvenile and crying. Trust me, I spend all day training varsity athletes, theres nothing said here that comes close to what comes out of their mouth -as it is appropriate there and at their level. Asking for a standard of civility and crazy of me to desire, but these forums around OFP times were actually a nice place to come to. Well rounded discussion and critique are all par for the course and does make the game better, rancorous juvenile crossing the arms and waiting for a Dev fight/response is just annoying. Not really interested in further discussing the tone of forums so, carry on :)

Civility?

Do I really need to show , that you A accused someone of agression just to amplify your own inabilty to make a good and clear point of yourown ?

B you then further tried to belittle by misquotuing and missrepresenting

I believe like the 5 or so others that are in this thread doing the same as yourself have only one reason for it, you are burnt out with the game and just as pissed off as the rest that despite fancy water and nice graphics , the game itself stopped delivering its ambitions a long time ago and senselessly creates workarounds and fixes to band aid the problems .

Go back read the thread title , read my two posts you quoted as beuing agressive , then see how you misinterpreted the second and see how your reason for doing so given the fact you know nothing about me can only be interpreted as an attempt to dissmiss my input based on false interpretations and blind fanboyism.

The only reason people may appear to be crying here is through sheer frustration of people like you , who try to muddy discussions with blind devotion and nonsense.

At the end of the day your a liar and an antagonist and I need only quote your last three posts to prove it I hope your students get a better side of you than your observations here

@Sealife: Well I guess internet hostility and tough-guyness is bliss.... Now im a "fucking idiot" and a liar lol. On the contrary I quite enjoy the game as hard as that is for you to believe. This year I paid $30 for an Arma Alpha in which I have hundreds of hours playing and $40 for a Star Citizen Pre-Alpha in which I get to sit in a hangar. Not all that happy with SC's progress and stacks of promises but I state it once or twice on their forums then walk away.

As you seem hell-bent on getting yourself banned, not gonna take the bait and drag this out. As far as my coaching, I'm 17 years in the business and doing quite well thank you. And yes I'm old school, believe in what's tried and true and avoid the fad workouts of the day like the plague -same goes for my taste in games I suppose.

So carry on with your little crusade and hopefully you find peace, just remember, your just a crouton in the salad bowl of life.

Were exactly were you called:

Now im a "fucking idiot" and a liar lol.

?

Seems like you read and infer too much personal hostility into posts that half the time aren't even addressed to you.

you are a fucking idiot and a Fanboy ;)

At the end of the day your a liar and an antagonist

;)

Pretty certain they were addressed to me. It's ok, guy's obviously got some other issues going on.

Are you guys trying to fix your engine limitations or are you simply trying to work around them (the recent OPREP mentioned new technologies needed to fully realize proper soldier protection and such)?

limitation? do you realize the 32b barrier problem was solved long time ago ...

it's just "omfg my process explorer don't report xyz GB of memory used by the game process, baaaad coding ..." style

it's just "omfg my process explorer don't report xyz GB of memory used by the game process, baaaad coding ..." style

Hmmm ... it haven't anything to do with bad coding, but don't you think you confuse the things a bit ?

VBS2 have a 64Bit executeable and can address more than 4GB (at maximum), not ArmA3 !

I guess by the underlying feeling of this post Dwarden is getting a little annoyed at people thinking they know everything about the RV engine. And tbph, he has every right to be.

File mapped objects reside in virtual memory which means they reside in page, not in actual physical RAM. It also means that you cannot control where they end up because that is controlled by the Windows Memory Manager. Of course I've already proven this in the large address aware thread towards the very beginning of it, yet you seem to think that file mapped space = 64 bit addressing and it does not in any way. At this point I truly have to think you're being willfully ignorant or obtuse simply to create more smoke and mirrors.

It was a great crutch when you guys implemented it, but it's far from a solution to the bigger problem.

---------- Post added at 00:42 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

I guess by the underlying feeling of this post Dwarden is getting a little annoyed at people thinking they know everything about the RV engine. And tbph, he has every right to be.

Documentation on Windows File Mapping is available, simply google it. It's not a way to store file outside of a process's addressing space but rather a way to store a file object between 2 processes without having to load both files separately into memory, basically a file view that they both can share. They try to use it as a stopgap to a higher addressing limit, but it has it's flaws and it's faults, chiefly being that the majority of it will still reside in page and whatever the process itself has to work with is still limited, I.E. if the process needs 3-4gb within the 32b addressing limit, it doesn't matter if you have 10gb reserved in file mapping for all your data, it's a hard limitation that you can't surpass.

It really doesn't even have anything specific to do with the RV engine, except that they are utilizing it.

And how exactly will a 64 bit .exe help FPS wise?

I wonder because people running arma on ramdisk doesn't seems to get crazy FPS.

It's not about performance per se, it's about stability and growth, although it can affect performance given enough objects and data being needed to store in the process's addressing space. Eventually, even now since they have to use file mapping to get around the limitation and it does work though it's a crutch, they will absolutely have to go 64 bit, look at Eagle Dynamics and DCS as an example.

What I'm worried about is the fact that they're notorious for waiting until problems basically slap them in the face before addressing them, and we can already see ArmA 3 easily pushing the process working set addressing space.

Don't mistake pushing for 64 bit as some performance "super fix", it's moer about BI's willingness to adopt the future tech and fix their engine as well as future proofing it, which I mean hell just look at the issue's we are having now. 64 bit apps will be as common as 32 bit apps are now and BI will still be trying to "buck the tiger".

Edited by Windies

64 bit is rarely about speed but rather more memory. Comparing this to a ram disk is comparing apples and oranges.

File mapping is a workaround for the memory limit, luckily one that works quite OK. A real 64 bit executable would be preferable, but this solution still works reasonably well.

Oh what this forum has become. :(

Are you commenting on my post? Because I seriously don't know what I would have said wrong...

<snip>

If the OP is getting stutter try setting the overclocked CPU VCore to auto or giving it more. For screen tearing set GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1; and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1; in ArmA3.cfg at Documents/ArmA 3. And if your frames are dropping suddenly... disable VSync. Problems solved.

Edited by incontrovertible

If the OP is getting stutter try setting the overclocked CPU VCore to auto or giving it more. For screen tearing set GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1; and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1; in ArmA3.cfg at Documents/ArmA 3. And if your frames are dropping suddenly... disable VSync. Problems solved.
Ya know, I gotta say that if these can be found to consistently work (as FPS fixes) -- I distinctly remember Dwarden suggesting the GPU config line(s) -- then it is curious that one of the stable branch patches hasn't made them default (as settings) by now, i.e. for a fresh install...

lool, even Dwarden getting tired of all that moan.

Wow, could you possibly be just a little professional and helpful, and answer the question, being the Community Manager and all, instead of just trolling like every other "RV has no problems" user on this forum? Seriously. Maybe I'd be better off asking RiE or Pettka. At least they professionally respond to the concerns of the community.

But, if you're speaking for BI (which, being the CM, I should assume you are), then no wonder there are issues that have been present since Arma 1. You guys are in denial that there's anything wrong with your game. Guess there's no hope to seeing any fixes to this engine, seeing as you don't believe there are any limitations. This is why people get fed up with you guys and leave after putting thousands of hours into Arma 2.

That's the biggest confirmation we need, whether BI intends on fixing engine limitations, or constantly trying to work and optimize around them.

Given Dwarden's post, I think the answer is no, they don't intend on fixing ANY engine limitations because they see no limitations, at least according to their CM. Otherwise there would be no question of my use of the term "limitation". I've just about had it with these devs.

Oh, and Dwarden, just for your information, I was not talking about any 32GB barrier, as my post did not list any specifics, for a reason (and I don't need to list out the limitations with this engine. MANY users have mentioned problems with your engine). I was speaking generally about the limitations of the engine without naming ANY one thing.

Edited by antoineflemming

lool, even Dwarden getting tired of all that moan.

With all due respect, Neurofunker, but could you once just refrain from giving a topic a kick again? It is people like you, on both sides of the fence, that keep the flaming running, and if you could just keep yourself restrained once in a while, that would help.

Don't believe me? Just go and check the last couple of posts in this thread from you. Zero content, just bitching and moaning of yourself. You think that because you are "one of the good guys" that makes it better, but you are wrong. So don't go around complaining about the state of these forums when you are one of the culprits.

@Sealife: Well I guess internet hostility and tough-guyness is bliss.... Now im a "fucking idiot" and a liar lol. On the contrary I quite enjoy the game as hard as that is for you to believe. This year I paid $30 for an Arma Alpha in which I have hundreds of hours playing and $40 for a Star Citizen Pre-Alpha in which I get to sit in a hangar. Not all that happy with SC's progress and stacks of promises but I state it once or twice on their forums then walk away.

As you seem hell-bent on getting yourself banned, not gonna take the bait and drag this out. As far as my coaching, I'm 17 years in the business and doing quite well thank you. And yes I'm old school, believe in what's tried and true and avoid the fad workouts of the day like the plague -same goes for my taste in games I suppose.

So carry on with your little crusade and hopefully you find peace, just remember, your just a crouton in the salad bowl of life.

Lol , aww didumms

Not really a good place for a bleeding heart lberal to sell here wears here , you set up with your false accusations of agression , i merely knocked it down with smileys .

and remember when you scratch at your VDU out of sheer frustration , your only harming the environment with those nasty screen wipes later which will not be true to your Liberal heart ;).

Take my advice and read your posts and the thread title and be humble and learn , you may be a teacher in work but if you are never a student , then you wont realise your not always right . reading your posts will be a good lesson for you ;) my advice try and use the third person perspective too lol

Why does everything have to degenerate into personal attacks? Just discuss like normal people.

Why does everything have to degenerate into personal attacks? Just discuss like normal people.

Yeah ^this :mad:

no normal people left, it seems.

Way to promote less personal attacks.... :rolleyes: